Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Made it through 20 minutes of the 30DS and had to quit early due to time constraints But...still better than nothing!

I've love to live that close to a gym. Heck I'd love if we HAD a gym in my town. Nearest gym is 28 miles away...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #137  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Did this affect your decision to move there? I too am lucky enough to be super close to my gym, and don't think I would ever go if I were farther away from it.
Krampus, I bought the apartment because of its location, but not just because of the gym. Because it's right next to a very walkable and busy village. I'm two blocks from the train into Grand Central, a half-block from a major walking, running & biking trail, a half block from a small Saturday farmer's market, two blocks from a hospital, four blocks from a four-screen fine arts cinema, less than six blocks from a grocery store, and also lots of small shops & boutiques, coffee houses, salons, liquor stores, two drugstores ... and yes, there's more. If I needed to, I could spend several days without a car & thrive.

It also just happens to be located at the point of convergence of two small rivers.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, the location of your apartment sounded ideal until I read of the convergence of two rivers.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #139  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

saef, I agree with bargoo - it sounds like a fabulous location ..."except". Just for that rare, once in a hundred years event where those little rivers ain't so little.

I'm finding life much easier at the weekly calorie level than the daily targets. Instead of feeling like I'm blowing the whole plan every weekend, I can take advantage of my normal behavior of eating less during the weekdays, and still come out ahead with a good overall week. So far, so good. At two and a half weeks in, LoseIt's prediction of a half-pound loss per week is holding up.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am "this" close to being back to pre-vacation weight! Last night, I got on the treadmill and got in a nice workout and it felt really good. I think it is in my best interest to do this at night instead of trying to get up early and workout. Even with a good workout, I was unable to get a good night's sleep and it's been that way off and on for such a long time that anything that impacts my normal waking time will only disrupt my sleep more. This will work. And I should get my Jillian Michaels DVDs tomorrow, so I can do one of those workouts and then get on the treadmill to make it even better!

I used to live in a hundred-year flood plain when in Palm Springs. Wait. What? A flood plain in the desert? Well, we did, and we had to carry flood insurance for it. I believe they have redrawn that flood plain now because so many changes have been made to the surrounding area that when we do have floods (and they actually do occur--flash floods that can last for weeks) they more or less stay in the channel.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

OMG 30DS kicked my butt. Literally. My butt hurts. All those squats....

Need to do it again today but it will be awkward with a babysitter AT my house today. May try to badger DH into doing it with me tonight...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I am "this" close to being back to pre-vacation weight! Last night, I got on the treadmill and got in a nice workout and it felt really good.
Way to go!!
I'm still having trouble getting refocused or motivated or whatever. Hoping today is the day. I know we are going out to dinner tonight for dd before she leaves for London tomorrow. I don't know what she'll choose but I pray there is something I can choose that will still work for me.

She is having a ton of back pain and we are trying to sort it out before she flies tomorrow. She and I are going to get massages at a Chinese foot reflexology place. We've done the foot reflexology before but not the massages so I hope they are good. My plan is hopefully to go to Bikram Yoga later and I'm hoping between the two, I can sweat out some water weight.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #143  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
It also just happens to be located at the point of convergence of two small rivers.
I would love the river location (until floods occur)!!! My bf lives right on the Hudson and we see bald eagles from his balcony most days of the week. The view is so nice, particularly for weekend breakfast and coffee:

Last night we had sushi for dinner (and got sick from it later, him more sick than me - I'll still eat there again!) and went for a lovely evening walk around Peebles Island. Stayed up until a whopping 9:30 PM. :P

Tonight two friends I don't see often are coming into town. One is a wilderness firefighter in Arizona and the other is an Australian who I met in Japan way back when. Too much excitement will be certain to follow.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #144  

Krampus, I like your photos, too. I especially liked the path beside the river.
Allison, good news about the weight, hang in there !
Becky how are the bunnies doing in their new home ?
saef, good to hear things are coming along in your apartment.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-25-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #145  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I don't see bald eagles here, Krampus. These are small rivers, so what we get are mallards, the occasional wood duck, great egret or night heron. There is definitely a warbling vireo nesting at the corner of the parking lot where I walk to get to the gym in the morning or evening.

I'm wondering about my weight because of my odd eating while camping out. I'm getting sick of picking away at that roasted chicken carcass. Cold stuff from Whole Foods and the A&P salad bar. And my office closed down its cafeteria during the renovation and only offers garden salads encased in plastic containers. I have kept up my exercise schedule, though. So only a scale can tell me where I am at, but I haven't moved my scale out of my mother's bathroom yet. I plan to return Upstate on Saturday. I will weigh in on Sunday morning.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #146  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Forcing myself to post instead of just lurking.
Hi everybody. I can't believe how hard it is to type words in a thread after staying "invisible" for so long. Never know what to say.

Still maintaining, though it's d*mnably difficult. Currently at 125.4, a good 5 pounds up from my low weight (and a pound and a half over red-line) so I'm back in weight-loss mode for a bit. Sick to death of the "weight creep" every time I turn around.

So many babies on this board recently, I can't believe it. Do maintaining and pregnancy go together? I didn't know!

In any case, MindiV, what's 30DS?
And Alinnell, several studies on insomnia indicate that exercising within 2 hours of bedtime actually makes it harder, not easier, to fall asleep. If you're an insomniac, exercising right after work (before dinner) is supposed to be much better for you.
Krampus, tell me that photo from your balcony isn't from now. All the trees are bare! Is there some blight?
Saef, you must be ecstatic to be nearly moved back after so many months. I can't believe it's taken so long, but how sweet to have it finally together.

Ok, now I can go to sleep, feeling virtuous to have actually de-lurked for a change.

Best to all,
Andrea
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats for getting back into losing, Andrea (neurodoc). I know about that "weight creep" from just a few moments of not paying attention.

My moments for weight creep come from a wandering hand when it gets near a dish of tree nuts. They are so d*rn healthy and part of my eating plan (in sane quantities). But fistfuls aren't sane and add up quickly. I have to keep them out of sight.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Bill I too love nuts and will eat them by the handful. Unless I buy snack packs, which I just did through a wholesaler. Since all of you know how this weight maintenance business can be the following will probably not seem ridiculous.

I keep my almond snack packs in the garden shed. I go out in the morning and take out 2 packages - 1 for me for the late afternoon and one to put in DH's lunch. That keeps me from going though package after package, at 140 cals per.

Looking at it in print it does seem ridiculous but hey! whatever works, right?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #149  

Andrea, welcome. We at this thread know all about the dreaded weight creep, it can get downright depressing. I am stuck at one pound under goal , a person who has never had weight problems would wonder, whats so bad about that. It's bad because, oh you all know what I mean., pants are still a little hard to button, there is still a bit of a muffin top. I'm waiting for a 'whoosh".

Last edited by bargoo; 07-26-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #150  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Andrea! Nice to see you again!

Bill and Dagmar, I too get very weak around the nuts. I absolutely understand and appreciate your technique, Dagmar. We like to get Costco's premium mixed nut assortment, which comes in a massive tub. I had an extra 1/4 cup measuring cup, so it has a permanent home in the tub. I tell myself that it's a lot more sanitary to scoop with the cup, plus it gives me a non-negotiable quantity that can be recorded easily.

A nice unwavering 150.0 today on the scale. Yessssss, it's all going according to plan. Muahahahahaha! Thank goodness for summer and the bounty of fresh garden veggies!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote