Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #61  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
I record my weight and food intake each day.
I do see fluctuations.

The amplitude of the fluctations has a correlation to the foods I chose to eat.
It took me a long time to see these patterns. Priceless knowledge.
This is also true for me.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #62  

Height: 5'6

Hi joyfulloser! It's me, again, lol. I have another question which I'm hoping you can answer. I've lost some body fat and weight over the past few months which left me with a 2-inch section of loose skin underneath my navel. I used to think it was b/c I had given birth but the more I think about it, I really believe it's because the weight quickly fell off me with all the running I've been doing. I guess my skin hasn't 'caught up' yet. You can't see it except when I bend over or perform a plank. What did you do to tighten up the loose skin and how long did it take? We're roughly the same body fat % and age so I figured you might be able to help me. I've also been holding steady at my current weight for about two months now. I've tightened up my diet and my exercise is on point as well. Am I expecting too much at 39? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-19-2011 at 11:09 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #63  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

fitmom- i had/have the exact same problem, e even when i was 14% BF..... it IS loose skin, and it IS (prob) from giving birth--> ive had 2 kids, myself)
Likei said, it was there even at 14% BF, so i dont think anything but weither A) surgery, or B) buildig up your abs SO MUCH that the muscle fills in the xtra skin,,,,,, but that ptob woldnt be attractive lol
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #64  
Workin' It

fitmom - I have the same thing, and I didn't have kids. I also run and did a lot of strength training, got to 19% body fat at one point but never as low as MK. It has gotten better, but hit a point and just stopped improving - I think I may be stuck with the rest of it. I see mine on downward dog.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #65  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

It is just loose skin that has no fat in it to fill it out, I have it too. When I was at 18-19% body fat( 104-108lbs) it was really bad all over, not just the stomach. Now I'm maintaining at 10lbs heavier, that filled out some of it, but not all.
I'm so happy, after 2 yrs, I finally have figured out what amount of calories I need to eat daily to maintain or my body has just found it's happy weight! It was so hard to stay around 106-108lbs. even though I did it for over a year. It was a real struggle! Now it's easy peasy with lots of food variety & I'm 114-117lbs. I'll take it!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #66  

Well ladies, it's improved quite a bit, lol. It used to be all over my stomach -- ugh! -- but now it's just below my navel as I mentioned before. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle. I mean I'm between 17-18% body fat, how much leaner could I get at this point? LOL. I did have the loose skin when I was heavier so I don't think it's my lower weight per se. Oh well. Thankfully, my DH hardly notices or so he says...I think he's being nice - bless his heart!

fruitlady: We're in the same weight range so if you have it then I definitely know I'm not the only one, lol.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #67  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

fitmom- We are in the same weight range, but your 3in. taller than me. That means your much slimmer than I am and probably have less loose skin than I do. Your definitely not alone, your slim & fit, a little loose skin is worth it!!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #68  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Sorry I missed your comments...haven't been around here much these days....been going to the beach, cookouts, summer fun stuff and EATING..eating...eating.

The good news is that yesterday whilst at the beach I ran about 3 miles and sprinted a great part of the way. I raced a healthy fit 20 yr old girl and WON! Woot! Mama still got it!

Another bit of good news...lost a bunch of water weight and now back under my redline. THIS after seriously eating everything to my hearts content and not exercising (not formerly exercising that is...I'm pretty active normally). I decided to CHUCK the skinny cow (expensive) ice cream and just buy my favorite kind (Blue Bunny Pistacchio Almond). It only has 150 cals/svg. so why not get what I really want and watch my portions...I say???

Overall...after a summer filled with cookies, cakes, lack of running, and finding my "sweet spot" I'm ending the summer both "looking" and more importantly "feeling" FABULOUS!!! I must admit, winning that race IN THE SAND (about 100 yards) with a 20 yr old college student who ran track since she was 13 was quite an ego booster!

Lastly...I LOVE RUNNING on the beach. I ran barefoot on the soft sand along the coast line and I felt like I could have easily ran twice as far as I did run. The fresh air and sounds and smells of the ocean were too awesome for words. The BEST news is that my left knee didn't even hurt this morning. However, I did pull something in my right knee during that race (wasn't letting that kid beat me..haha!)

I'm thinking maybe my problem is my sneakers. I wouldn't imagine that I'd feel so comfortable running barefoot. Anyone try those vibram five fingers sneakers? I thought they looked stupid, but if they might just be what I need. Thanks.

Fitmom - Oh and about the loose skin...it can coming from either gaining really fast (as in the case with pregnancy) OR losing real fast. I have a small tiny bit (most woman do...unless their like 16). I have found that my stomach has slowly (and I mean S-L-O-W-L-Y) tightened up over the years. Try using coconut oil and/or vitamin D oil. They help tighten skin. I used it on my boobies and they look perkier!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #69  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

<---- (wondering what else joyfulloser does with coconut oil...)

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 08-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #70  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
<---- (wondering what else joyfulloser does with coconut oil...)

Jay
PM me and I'll tell ya!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #71  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oh, joyful, I wouldn't dare! But I do know that everything tastes better with some extra virgin olive oil on it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #72  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Oh, joyful, I wouldn't dare! But I do know that everything tastes better with some extra virgin olive oil on it.

Jay
I came dangerously close to spitting my yogurt on my monitor just now. Jay & Joy getting a little freaky.

But yes - vitamin D oil has helped me with some scarring and stretch marks, so I can see how it could help with loos skin, to.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #73  

joyfulloser: I did use Vitamin D oil when I was pregnant and don't have any stretch marks so I could see the wisdom in using it for loose skin. I gotta say if you have a tiny bit of loose skin looking the fabulous way that you do and you're so much more muscular than me, I don't feel so alone anymore, lol. I was starting to almost beat myself up for it. I may feel 18 inside but I have to remind myself that my teen years are long gone and the body takes a little longer to bounce back, I guess. I will definitely try it. And I did pass along the information you gave me on cinnamon to my DH and his family. Thanks again.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #74  
I'm a SWIMMER!

**UPDATE** - Half-naked Mirror check this morning...6 pack still nicely chiseled!

Didn't get on the scale this morning...TOM on the way and didn't want to ruin my elation caused by the half-naked mirror check!

I think I finally figured out why the scale has been going soooo bonkers lately. It went all the way up to 157 for a hot minute! The last I checked, I was down to 153, but WHOA!!! The reason is with all the hot dog, hamburgers, bbq spare ribs and potato salad eatin I've been doing, my SODIUM has probably been through the roof! My body is soooo used to low sodium (under 2,000 mgs) for almost the past year, I just think it freaked out and bloated up.

Glad I can still enjoy food, goodies and life and still maintain my weight. THIS JOURNEY IS FUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Oh yeah...I got off the Skinny Cow train (too expensive) and just eat regular icecream...Pistacchio Almond Blue Bunny brand. It's been working out great. I thought..hmmm..skinny cow is 100-150 cals. Regular icecream is 150 cals. Why am I paying 3 times as much for skinny cow and loving it 3 times less than my favorite icecream again???

Here's to LOVIN LIFE! Hope you are all doing the same.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 08-23-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #75  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Who knew that less than an hour after my "enjoy life" post (noted above), the entire EAST COAST would be hit with an EARTHQUAKE!!!

Point being...ENJOY LIFE! I made spagetti & meatballs with steamed brocolli for dinner. It was delishous. Haven't had spagetti in tooooo long! Tried something totally different this time though. Instead of mindlessly cooking a huge pot full of everything...I found out what a serving was and cooked only that. 2 servings of everything and yunno what...IT WAS PLENTY!!! WOOT!

Baking 2 pumpkin pies now. I really want make some chocolate chip and oatmeal cookie dough and also to make another carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting...yummmmmm!!!