Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #16  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Needless to say...after all that cooking last night, I was too exhausted to try anything (other than eating the crumbs that broke apart from the biscotti). In case you're all wondering, "how in the world is she going to eat all that goodness and not gain a pound", keep in mind that I have a 12 yr old 5'8.5, 105 lb daughter who LOVES sweety goodness! Also, that I have a HUGE deep freezer.

You see...this is another reason why COOKING all your food helps to control appetite and weight. It really is a workout. My muscles are sore after days of cooking. Here are the meals I made just the other day. Nothing sends the message home better than a visual, I say.

One last note and some insight on my MENTAL PSYCHE...since I made all this food, I know it's there whenever I want it. I set rules...boundaries. I don't try to eat everything in one day. These treats MUST and WILL last me for at least a month. If they don't...nothing will be cooked again and I will be treatless until the end of the 4th week. Honestly...I have NO DESIRE to eat everything in sight, but a HUGE desire to eat a VARIETY. I hate the same thing everyday. So...today's treats..Carrot Cake & maybe 3-4 chocolate chip cookies (freshly baked and still warm..YUM!) I had Pumpkin Muffins for breakfast. Generally..I allow myself 2-3 treats per day, single serving sizes. Ok...here ya go!

1. Grilled Salmon w/Red Pepper Coulis
2. Thai Curry Chicken Saute w/red pepper
3. Mock McDonalds Grilled Chicken (keep in freezer individually wrapped for salads & quick meals) - no pic included
4. Cod & Shrimp Alfredo
5. Homemade and slow roasted for 12 hours CHILI
6. Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

ETA - TOM today and I'm dyin!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0201.jpg (57.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0337.jpg (54.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0447.jpg (40.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0195.jpg (46.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0206.jpg (38.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-30-2011 at 11:34 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #17  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thumbs up

Ok...so, I just finished lunch and it was AWESOME!!! So awesome, in fact, that I became compelled to share this most delishous and nutritious FOOD FIND! During my last shopping trip to COSTCO, among the many food samples that were being offered, I decided to try the following sample. I ended up buying not only the boneless/skinless sockeye salmon, but the crackers she sold it on.

The entire can of salmon is only 180 cals., 5 crackers (thin and sooo good), is only 70 cals., 1 tbsp real mayo 70 cals. and viola...GREAT SNACK/LUNCH! I still have more salmon in the frig for snack later. (I actually ate 8 crackers w/salmon)

Lastly...I had a slice of the carrot cake (for veggies..haha!). I must say, the coconut oil brought this cake to an entire NEW LEVEL of GREATNESS! It was so good that words cannot describe. Here's the best part...only 350 cals (w/cream cheese frosting - 250 w/o).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0707.jpg (47.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0708.jpg (47.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0709.jpg (37.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0711.jpg (34.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 287/175/180

Height: 5'9"

I am inspired by your kitchen prowess YES to the coconut oil. Best thing ever for baking. I'm going to make some banana muffins with my over-ripe banana and coconut oil today. Mmmm, muffins...
k8yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #19  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Joyfull, I have to ask you about the pictures of your dinners. They look so much like upscale packaged microwave dinners. (Well, they look better than that, but you know what I mean. It's the container.) Do you portion out the dinners individually to freeze in those containers? Or do you use containers like that with already thawed & warmed up or freshly cooked food, to help with portion control? Also, did you save them from packaged meals or do you go out & get them from someplace that sells plastic plates made like that? (Can you tell I'm intrigued by the idea of such packaging helping with portion control?)

I do the marathon cooking thing, too, just not baking. I get home quite late on weekdays after stopping at the gym after work. I am just not up for a lot of meal preparation. Steaming a side vegetable like asparagus or broccoli or maybe nuking a sweet potato in the microwave is about all I'm up for at 8 PM, with about an hour & a half till bedtime. Sometimes I freeze a portion of what I cook but generally I eat something three or four nights in a row till it's gone. (The thing about living in a NY apartment is that the only freezer I've got is the one under my fridge, and my fridge isn't even as big as a lot of people's because it has to fit into a galley-style kitchen.)

Last edited by saef; 07-30-2011 at 05:13 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #20  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Saef - I saved those trays from my "BistroMD" meal delivery service days! I know...I love them to NO END! I've tried everywhere to find them, and actually did find them. Only problem is minimum order is 32,000 trays! They are made of a special plastic called "PETE". It is designed to go from freezer to microwave and even the oven (up to 350 degrees). Not every type of plastic can do this without disolving into your food or becoming toxic! These trays are specifically designed for frozen meal companies for this fact. Oh and they're dishwasher safe and look the same today as they 10 months ago!

I specifically love these trays because they don't waste any space. I can squeeze so many of them into my freezer and they stack wonderfully. When I first started, I used to weigh my food, each and every meal. Needless to say this got exhausting and I found a shortcut. My Farberware COOKING SPOON just happens to = exactly ONE SERVING. Yup. I've tested it many times. For example, one heaping scoop (whatever will not fall off the spoon) of rice = 1 svg. Same for veggies. For meat/fish/poultry...4-5 oz is what will fit the palm of your hand.

As an ex-NYC'r...I totally understand about the "space" issues. Space comes at a premium in NYC..so they usually don't give you very much of it. That said...another idea may be to make let's say 3 main dishes. However, only cooking a 4 serving portion of each main dish. You will have a total of 12 portions/meals of it. Store 1/2 of each main dish in a large plastic container, etc. The remaining half, portion into trays (2).

The main dish is really all I put any energy into. I make my usually variety of sides (spinach quinoa, bulgar wheat, brown rice and sometimes cous cous or barley). Nothing fancy...just add ingredient and water. No seasoning...nada. For veggies, I use mostly frozen (exception of brocolli).

So you see...there's really not much to it. Sure, you won't be able to cook too far in advance but you'll at least be able to cook a week in advance(unless you can find room for a 4-7 cubic foot chest style freezer - *hint Sams club under $200).

As far as finding these trays...you probably will have a better time than I (can get anything and everything in New York - yes, jealous!!! ) Just make sure they are made of PETE plastic and are rated to go from freezer to microwave. You may also want to mention "frozen meal delivery business", and that may bring you closer to getting them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-30-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #21  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Ok...so yesterday's goodies/treats ended up like this:

1 slice of carrot cake
1/2 pistacchio-cranberry biscotti
5 chocolate chip cookies

Yesterday's workout:

Swimming - 80 laps in a 40 foot pool

Today I'm going to make a fruit salad to bring to a friend's house for a luncheon. Finally going to get to pick some FRESH FRUIT from my trees. Here's some pics! (btw, I planted 10 fuit trees last March...so this is incredible that I have fruit this year...YEAHHHH!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0692.jpg (37.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0689.jpg (56.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0694.jpg (48.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0693.jpg (62.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-31-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #22  
Workin' It

I was going to ask the same thing about your trays, thanks for answering it! So you cook the entire month in advance? Makes a lot of sense.

I've had several flavors of the Arctic Zero - the newer, reformulated version of the vanilla maple was the best. The chocolate peanut butter was a little bland, the strawberry banana tasted like whey protein. The vanilla maple was pretty good, better with a little hersheys syrup and some peanuts. It has a sorbet consistency, and it develops ice crystals easier than ice cream. It is hard to serve it out of the little containers because it freezes really solid - I typically ended up cutting the container off and dumping it into a bowl. It is expensive, and I'm not completely sure if it is worth it. It did satisfy the craving for volume, absolutely.

Joy - I need to regain some of my own joy, so I'm going to be popping in here from time to time to see how you are doing and try to use it as motivation. I may not be emotionally able to participate much, but I want you to succeed and plan to pirate some of your recipes when I can.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I tried the Arctic Zero and measured out 1/2 cp by weight. Same with the Shritake Noodles. Did not eat a the whole bag of the stuff, just the portion suggested. I did not like either one to continue with it.

Made homemade french vanilla ice cream this afternoon with DD, mixture is chilling in the frig: egg yolks, whole milk, heavy cream with white sugar. Guess how much I will eat?- 1/2 cup, 80 grams same as Arctic Zero. DH measures it out for me. I think getting used to proper portions for me and making that a habit is vital for my long term success. Binging has never been my problem, and I do not want it to start.

I have enjoyed my maintenance journey more that weight loss as I keep learning more things about my body and tasty things to prepare that are good for me. I do not fix faux foods except for splenda. I think Splenda is wonderful. If I want bread, I eat the real stuff, not low carb bread or tortillas.

We each get to choose where we will compromise and where we won't. I always account for my weight and food choices. This keeps me out of the isle of denial.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #24  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Hey Shannon!! Glad to see/read you...if even only for a drive by!

I love your theology Karen925...I try to stay out of that "isle of denial" myself too! I love that term too!

My thoughts for today:
When I gained 60 lbs in 2009, it didn't happen overnight. As I chomped on fast food burgers and fries EVERYDAY, I was FULLY AWARE that I was making myself fat....no ifs..ands...or butts about it... I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING. I just made a conscious decision that looking "cute" was NOT at the top of my list (at the time) and that I had other stresses and matters in my life (at the time) that were simply more important to me than worrying about my weight and cooking healthy, blah blah blah!

AND yunno what? It was FUN! I loved not caring about what I put in my mouth. I loved eating endless amounts of Baskin Robbins. No food, no time, no amount was off limit to me. I would frequently pass out on my couch with a smile on my face after some delishous Jamaican Food takeout. I say that because I want to let it be known that I was NO VICTIM. AND...that being fat is NOT the worse thing a person can be...albeit society today would have you believing that being DEAD is better than being FAT! Yup...I was one of those stereotypical JOLLY FAT person! As a matter of fact, had it not be for the fact that I was making myself physically ILL, I'd probably still be fat & jolly!

That said...I've made a new CHOICE in life. I've decided that my HEALTH is more important than eating endless amounts of food. AND yunno what? I've discovered that I actually LOVE the way I eat now 1,000,000,000 times better than I did before. AND here's the kicker...I still eat ALL the same foods...and to my heart's content. The difference? I don't eat every meal or dessert as if it will be the last cookie to ever enter the universe! I've learned that as difficult as western society would like you to believe weight loss/maintenance really is...and how much you need to BUY their product to stay/get fit, that all you REALLY NEED is MODERATION. No special foods...low carb....no carb...no white food...no grains, magic berries...etc., etc., just MODERATION. I am a happier person for learning this and wouldn't trade my journey for anything. It has made me who I am today.

Ok...so...todays sweets were:

2 Cranberry-Pistacchio Biscotti
2 slices of Carrot Cake w/cream cheese frosting (OMGoooooooooooooodness, this is just toooooo good for words!!!)
4 Chocolate Chip cookies

Yeah...I know...chalk today up to TOM munchies! Had a weird day with food though...I didn't really eat much of it. Ate the regular breakfast (2 muffins, 2 sausage links), ate lunch at friend's and didn't have dessert (guess I couldn't wait to get back home for some of my goodies (which are da bomb!). She had a nice spread of different foods, but I had a moderate portion of some pasta casserole w/chicken, baked chicken thigh or breast, green beans (southern style), salad and fruit salad. I did have a second portion of that casserole (hmmmm...was good).

All in all...didn't "pig-out", but when I came home I had the biggest sweet tooth. I immediately ate 4 cookies, followed by 2 slices of cake, then an hour later 2 biscotti's, and then 2 crackers w/salmon! Crazy thing is after that...my hunger went out of the window and I didn't even want dinner?

Last edited by joyfulloser; 07-31-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #25  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Okay. Today I'm feeling good. Did 15 pull ups last night. Did another 5 (thumbs facing me) this morning. Strong...feeling strong. I'll be doing my pullups throughout the day. Don't do sets like most people, just do them about every other time I go to the bathroom (since my pullup bar hangs over my bathroom door!)

Today, I'm gonna try to run 5 miles. It's been 3 weeks since I've ran and although I've been swimming regularly...it's not the same. Nothing builds full body stamina, endurance and overall core strength like running...NOTHING!!! I sure hope I haven't lost my running mojo. I think my old tired knees have had plenty of time to "rest up" and my heart has been aching to run for some time now.

I'm about to enter a new chapter of my professional career and my mind could really use the "clarity" that running gives me. Nevermind the fact that I can eat MORE COOKIES when I run!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 08-01-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #26  
I am in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
I don't eat every meal or dessert as if it will be the last cookie to ever enter the universe!
Love this! That is what I had to tell myself a lot during my WL journey. I would see something and think I was never ever going to have a chance to eat it anymore.

And you know something I discovered about myself? I still ate things in moderation while calorie counting (including chocolate), but my sugar binge monster was insane. When I'd be at a store, I had to talk myself out of getting things...literally. Sure, I'd eat chocolate as long as I put it into my calorie allotment for the day, but I think just the fact that I knew there was a certain calorie limit per day still caused me to want all these bars and bars of sweet things. Now that I met goal, this weekend was such a breeze. In and out of stores, not worrying about all the candy that was in front of my face, and actually not even really paying attention to it at all. It was actually really freeing this weekend!

Oh! And I started taking the cinnamon w/chromium last week. It seems to help me during the afternoon when my snack monster comes out.

Last edited by Emme; 08-01-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #27  
Workin' It

Good luck with the run today, Joy - if you are in one of the hot places be careful. I've noticed that if I take even a week off I get hit much harder by the heat if I go back too fast, actually came pretty close to heat exhaustion last week I think. Pushed it too fast, too hard. Swimming is fantastic exercise, but definitely in a cooler place than running.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #28  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

LOVE reading your posts! This journey has been pretty 'fun' for me too. I think the added exercise and the fact that my skinny bf accompanies me to the gym really helps. I want to be HEALTHY.. not 'thin'. For the first time I see the difference.

I try not to deprive myself of things, I just make better and smaller choices and still live my life. (when I tried to lose weight before it felt like I put my life on hold until I reached 'x' weight) That just doesn't work for me.

PS. I cook 99.9% of my food now too. Makes a huge difference
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

I read your post and I agree that balance is key. We should enjoy food and exercise, working towards a healthy and happy life. I will keep reading. TY
celrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #30  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Thanks everybody for your support.

I'm afraid no good RUNNING news to report so far today (but the day's not over). Yesterday had to pick my daughter up from the airport at the time I usually would be running. I missed my little girl soooo much. So happy she is home!

Ok...yesterday's sweets:

1 slice of pumpkin pie
1 1/2 biscotti
4 chocolate chip cookies

Exercise:

NO CARDIO, but managed to get in about 30 pullups!

Although my weights been the same, my 12 yr old daughter (who has been gone for an entire month), told me that I look like I lost weight! I told her I hadn't and she said, "well, you really look smaller than when I left". Go figure I think I must be putting on muscle while losing fat with all the swimming and pullups I've been doing. But I don't care....I..MISS..RUNNING!!!

Gonna DO IT...will not be back to this post until I DO IT...and I'M GONNA MAKE THE 5 MILES...BY HOOK OR CROOK!!! GRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I feel that inner "warrior" starting to come out...WOOT!