Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #61  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I eat more than eight to 10 & I have them every day, so I think the thrill has been dulled by familiarity. In fact, I'm sure of it, as I got dry-roasted unsalted almonds the other day, as opposed to the natural raw ones, and found myself inclined toward overdoing it because the crunch was so intriguing.

It's supposed to reach 103 here today. I believe it will indeed & this is not a forecaster's hysteria. I just got back to my desk from seeing my therapist & stopped at the grocery store on the way home, since I had a bit of time. When I came out of the chilled store, it already felt like the dead of afternoon -- at 8:30 AM. And the radio news confirmed it's at 86 degrees already.

This is exciting, in a way, much like being indoors & safe during a snowstorm. But the local power authority is not going to have a good day, I am sure. I just hope we don't have outages as a result.

Back to work. Another brain teaser of a document by a Taiwan-based analyst to rewrite, sentence by sentence. And I need to peek at my midyear review which my manager returned to me yesterday but which I'm putting off looking at, though I think it ought to be fairly decent.

Last edited by saef; 07-22-2011 at 08:50 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Just down the road from here, in Desert Center, was the hot spot in the nation at 119 yesterday. We're supposed to get to about 109 today. While that sounds excessive, it's normal for us. And it doesn't usually come with the humidity that you get on the east coast and midwest. And to think that so many homes don't have A/C--no wonder there have been deaths due to the heat. Although it is probably a requirement for building here, it is expensive to run the A/C AND the electric company, in order for some people to save money, offers this thing that will actually TURN OFF all your electricity during peak times (for up to three hours a day). Imagine that! Thankfully we have a lot of "cooling centers" here where anyone can drop in and hang out for no charge.

I went to Macy's and tried on the dress as well as two others. I didn't like any of them. The first, the neckline was too high in front and the color kind of bothered me. The second was cut too low. It had a horizontal seam that should fall under the bust, but I must have a low bust line as the seam hit me all wrong and if I pulled the dress down, then the v-neck was way too revealing (and you could see my bra). The third had a nice neckline (cowled, v-neck) but the dress itself was too short for my taste (about 2 inches above my knee). So I went home empty handed.

I might buy a spanx slip on Zappos today and take it to go shopping next week. Or not. We'll see.

Everyone have a good day and stay cool!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #63  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
I have found this to be true as well. Of course, I have found that:

Once I stop overeating carbohydrates, I do a lot better with stopping eating _________________. (in other words, fill in the blank! )
No kidding! This for me as well.

For things I would be tempted to overeat that are not already "portioned out" in some way (nuts, chips, ice cream, pineapple, avocado) I have to measure out a serving then put it away immediately. I also track it in my tracking program immediately so I feel that my serving is "complete." I've found that, if I stick to this method, I'm not usually tempted to get and portion out and track another serving.

I hope all struggling with high temps stay cool and safe today. It's difficult for me to imagine dealing with heat this bad without AC.

saef - I feel your pain with struggling through writing from non-native English speakers. Writing - especially technical or academic writing - is such a difficult skill to learn in a second language. I have spent many a frustrating evening trying to muddle through what my students said versus what they meant to say.

School's out! Yay! I will spend today tracking down bridesmaids' dresses for a wedding I'm in (I have a thread posted in the Looking Great forum, if you're interested) and I pretty much hate shopping, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. We'll see how I feel after an hour in the mall. I firmly believe that, had the mall been around in the Middle Ages, Dante would have incorporated the mall into one of the circles of the Inferno.

Happy Friday, everyone!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Wink it's the heat, I swear!

Jenmusic I do most of my clothes/shoes/jewellery shopping online. I have found retailers that "work" for me and I use them. So for me going to the mall once or twice a year is a treat! I hardly every find anything in my sizes (I am totally average in all respects and these always sell out first) but I enjoy looking and watching all the people and listening to their conversations.

Allison bummer about the dresses. What exactly are Spanx - sounds naughty!

I think I will try the raw nuts - they sound gross so I won't want more than a serving . Right now I'm getting the majority of my fats by eating avocado, lower cal marg on sandwiches, and having a pat of butter each night.

Yes, just a bare naked pat of butter that I cut off the bigger brick. I use a small amount of butter to stir fry and sautee and such - I can't abide stuff cooked in oil.

Maybe I should have a serving of oil in a shot glass instead?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #65  

Quote:
Allison bummer about the dresses. What exactly are Spanx - sounds naughty!
Undergarments that are "slimming" i.e., tight--they hold you all in and reduce the bulges here and there. I ordered a couple different ones from Zappos this afternoon along with a pair of water sandals.

And raw almonds are Delicious! I prefer them to the roasted and salted ones--much better than you'd think. Very natural tasting. Quite the opposite than what my parents used to get--the Blue Diamond roasted that come with a variety of flavors. Those are just icky now!

Last edited by alinnell; 07-22-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #66  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
--the Blue Diamond roasted that come with a variety of flavors. Those are just icky now!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #67  
Workin' It

I've about had it up to here with my AC. Service guy came out for annual checkup at 8am two weeks ago and said all was well, system had very low air pressure by 10:00pm and wasn't cooling well with a slowed compressor fan, had to shut downstairs zone off to get the pressure back up and restart the next day. Came to check it out the next day at 5:00pm, said system was fine. By 7:00 pm no air pressure blowing and temps rising again, though the air coming out (slowly) was plenty cool. Turned off downstairs for 12 hours again, by the next AM things were fine. Now, with no one touching it the pressure is down again when both floors are running, temps rising, compressor fan running slow. Turned off downstairs and upstairs starting to blow harder. I'm trying to figure out if I need my ductwork redone.

I'm really starting to hate my builder.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #68  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Shannon, I think it's unlikely the ductwork is the problem because you say sometimes the unit works OK.

Have you tried an internet search on your brand of A/C? Maybe there are troubleshooting tips...

Has the technician checked out the thermostat(s)? A faulty thermostat or an incorrect setting might be the problem.

I hope you can get it dealt with!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #69  

Default disaster last night

I fell into the sugar last night. We don't have a lot of it around the house but DH has been buying these asian "ice cream" popsicle things. I ate a box of them. Just couldn't seem to stop and didn't really care either.

I have been consuming a lot of caffeinated drinks to get me through the heat (they're bad, I know, I know) as well as a lot of water. I'm pretty sure I was crashing from the caffeine earlier in the day. Even though I had a healthy dinner it wasn't enough to offset this.

The diet cola has got to go. I am taking an extra long weekend starting next Friday and have already planned for this 4-day weekend to be the one where I stop the madness! NO MORE SODA!!!

Good Saturday all!

Dagmar
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #70  

The horrible news from Norway. Oh my goodness. My first reaction was "I hope Amalie is okay." She was an exchange student last year and lived with my brother and SIL and niece for the year. Then I open the paper this morning and a girl my DD went to high school with was only 4 blocks from the explosion. She is on Oslo studying Norwegian history. Too close to home.

Hope everyone is braving the heat wave. We're going golfing before it gets too hot.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #71  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

You know, for once I feel lucky to be in Florida, where we are at least used to coping with heat in the summer. Our heat index today will "only" put the temp at 105 (non-heat index high is forecast to be 93). This is pretty typical.

Rain is likely later, but rain here does not cool anything off much...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Just a quick check in for me.
DD and I are back from Southern California. We visited UC Santa Barbara and UC San Diego. This morning we are driving to UC Davis (about 1.5 hours from us) for another tour. We'll pick up the dogs on the way home. We miss Dewey (and Jozi)!

Super long drives. I did more or less okay with my legs but they got quite bad on the drive back yesterday. I'm thinking it may be sciatica pain??? Has anyone had that?

I ate some foods I wouldn't normally eat and my weight is up this morning. I'm hoping to get home later today in time to go to Bikram Yoga to stretch out my muscles, legs, and sweat out some of the extra salts!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #73  

Michele~I used to suffer from sciatic pain when I sat for too long. I don't know why it went away, but I rarely have trouble now. I used to sit with a hard ball, like a baseball, on the right side of my lower back to ease the pain somewhat, but the pain would radiate around to the front of my thigh and eventually cause almost my entire right leg to go numb. I haven't had the trouble for at least 10 years or more, though.

I just had one of the worst rounds of golf ever this morning. I managed only one par whereas last weekend I had one day with five pars and a birdie.

Today I have to go buy a new bathing suit and some board shorts to get prepared for our Costa Rican adventure. We'll know more about when we're going and what we're doing next week, but the plan is to do some whitewater river rafting, see an active volcano (although I understand it isn't as active as it was a year or so ago), do some zip line stuff and kayaking in the ocean (that will be the hardest for me!).

My diet has been better this week and I dropped half a pound. I hope that by the end of August I'll have lost another 10 pounds or so.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #74  

Had a really interesting vegetarian lunch today - a "buddah bowl" with rice, spices, veggies, sprouts, and tofu. I'm not a tofu fan at all but this worked! And it was lunch with people! People other than DH. WOW!

Just listened to parts of Adele's "21" - man she kicks *ss on the first part but then slows it down too much. Don't know why but "Rolling in the Deep" - the song playing everywhere - is making me cry right now. I think I'm probably a tad overcaffeinated . Such a strong voice. And, if her album titles are to be gone by, then she's only 21 years old? WOW!

I am planning on staying OP tonite with ribs, salad, and one bun. I find if I buy a loaf of bread DH and I eat it all. Somewhere along the way no one taught us portion control apparently.

We also have cherries for dessert - 2 lbs. (I hate when they won't let you select your own). Yes we will no doubt eat them all but it's better than 2 litres of ice cream.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm feeling off track....
I hate when that happens....
I was planning on being OP today and I wasn't.
We had our tour at UC Davis and dd was starving afterward. We ventured to downtown Davis and ate at a burger joint the tour guide recommended. I could have chosen healthy but I ordered a cheeseburger and fries. I don't know why....sigh....
I expect the scale will be up even more tomorrow.
I made it to the gym and will go back to tracking my food tomorrow-- promise!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote