Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #1  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Lab work NSV's - Without MEDS???

Sometimes we are so focused on our physical appearance that we forget what is going on inside our bodies. Oh I got stretch marks, baggy skin, droopy breast...the list goes on and on. But I have found that my blood work-up each year ( with mammogram) prior to my annual exam is MORE exciting than dropping a dress size and helps me to erase all the physical flaws I see on my body. I mean, WOW it is amazing what diet and excercise can do for ones chemical profile.

Yesterday morning I went in for my lab/mammo. By afternoon the lab results were back, and a nurse from the hospital called to give me the results. She has know me since I was heavy, but I don't think we've actually seen each other since I lost weight...she also didn't realize that I was coming in for an annual exam in a few days. She thought the doctor asked her to call me with the results because I was trying out some new meds. ANYWAY, she began by saying, "WOW your meds are REALLY working well. Your blood work is just wonderful." I'm like, huh? I'm not on any meds, this is my annual work-up prior to my annual exam. She says, "WHAT? you're not taking meds?" Nope...no meds. "I can't believe it" she says, "I've never seen an adult with this good of numbers without being on meds." So I explain to her that I've lost a lot of weight and the numbers just came down naturally. She was still in utter disbelief.

Anyway, just to brag...in August of 2007 (prior to any lifestyle change) my
Total cholesterol was 235 (high)
HDL (good cholesterol) 30 (low)
Triglycerides 210 (high)

Yesterday 2010
Total cholesterol 137 (perfect)
HDL 60 (the low end of normal, but MUCH better than before)
Triglycerides 70 (normal)

All other blood and ua work was perfectly normal. Liver enzymes, glucose levels, thyroid levels all NORMAL! YAY. (They were all borderline high in 2007.)

Each year things have improved, and it is SO exciting to be nowhere near having to take medicine to control things that are controllable without medicine! I feel like I have received an A+ on a test.

How about you guys, any blood work brags?

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-25-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I would love to hear about others labwork victories!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #2  
No description available.

That's awesome!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 241.6/150

That is AWESOME !! How did you lose the weight ? Weight watchers or something else ?
allwayshungery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #4  
Back in Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayshungery View Post
That is AWESOME !! How did you lose the weight ? Weight watchers or something else ?
I'm a calorie counter. I focus on mostly healthy non-processed foods with lots of volume from vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains. I also eat a few servings of milk and fruit daily. I also try to keep my carb load lower and my protein load higher.

Basically I kind of follow the old weight watchers exchange program but with a reversal of the starch/protein servings.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Fantastic! Congratulations!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Great job, Lori!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #7  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Wow, I bet all of your organs and cells and muscle fibers are just thrumming with health and happiness! Congratulations!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've been lucky in that I've always had good blood test results even at my highest weight although my cholesterol has dropped more due to diet changes. My latest labs had my total cholesterol at 120, with HDL being 59.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #9  
Back in Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I've been lucky in that I've always had good blood test results even at my highest weight although my cholesterol has dropped more due to diet changes. My latest labs had my total cholesterol at 120, with HDL being 59.
Wow, Nelie that is outstanding!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Lori and Nelie, what awesome numbers! Great job! It's amazing and sad that our society has become so conditioned to see "bad" numbers that when the good ones occur naturally, people almost don't believe it.

I did have to go to the doctor two years ago (age 26) b/c I was having difficulty to breathing. It turned out to be allergy related, but the dr. ran a bunch of tests on lung function etc. to make sure it wasn't more serious. I was told I had the lungs of a 19-year-old. It's not much, but I suppose I'm doing my best to get ahead early?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh and I forgot to mention that my doctor did say that my numbers were amazing and the lowest they had ever seen. My husband has similar cholesterol numbers (his are slightly lower by a few points) and his doctor said the same thing to him.

And I should also mention that my father had a triple bypass in his mid 40s.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Lori - I love that you dropped your numbers without meds!

Nelie - wow, that is some fantastically low cholesterol. You & DH both. Cool.

Megan - in the humid climates we live in, good lungs early are fantastic.

DH has dropped his LDL by 25 and raised his HDL by 9 in the last six months. Is continuing to work on it with diet, weight loss & exercise. He doesn't want to have to take meds, and I don't blame him.

My last blood work showed a 30 point loss in LDL, 12 point increase in HDL, 3 point loss in VLDL, 17 point loss in triglycerides after my weight loss and increased exercise. (Total of 167, HDL - 67, VLDL - 11, LDL -89, tri - 55). And the 'hypercholesterolemia' note was taken off my file.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Such great results!! It's just simply the best!

I am due for a check up (and greatly looking forward to it, what a complete 1-80), but from my last check up, just about a year ago -

Well let's see, I used to be on BP medication - no more.
I used to have uric acid levels so high, my doctor told me I had gout. I had no outward evidence of it yet, but it was just a matter of any day now.
I don't remember my exact cholesterol numbers - the total was about 170 though and all other numbers were perfect.
I hit above the mark on every vitamin level with the exception of D (the sunshine one).

It is SUCH a wonderful feeling knowing that I've done all I can on my end to stave off many dreadful debilitating and deadly diseases. I used to lay awake at night planning my funeral, wondering how they would prepare my body for burial, how they would carry the coffin. It was horrible. Those horrible nights have completely ceased.

Kind of makes me sad when people say they don't have time to eat well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Oh, Lori I am sooo with you on this. When I look at the loose skin and the flap of a stomach I remind myself that I am brimming with health and energy. You can hide alot of sag underneath the right clothes but you can not hide poor lab results

I just had my yearly physical and not only was my doctor estatic over my lab results she was thrilled at my weight loss. She actually had discouraged me from getting wls and encouraged me to eat properly and exercise. I remember when she diagnosed me as prediabetic, I thought 'If I can't control what I put in my mouth now, diabetes will kill me.' It was a turning point for me.

Here's my good news: No longer have gout. No longer have elevated blood sugar levels, my kidneys and liver function are excellent, my cholesterol is 'A+' normal (those were her words), & my blood pressure is excellent. As a result she took me off my cholesterol meds and has me taking half of the bp meds. We will check my blood pressure in a couple of weeks and if it remains normal she will take me off bp meds too. Oh, happy day!!!

And here was the best thing she said to me: You've done so well with your weight loss I can see you keeping it off for good.

Happy day. Happy dance!

Thanks for asking us to share. I know I have a way to go before I reach goal (I'm practicing maintenance for the summer) but it is amazing how the body is so eager to be healthy with any progress that we make in our weight loss. I can't wait to see what other good things follow when I reach goal.

Last edited by ANewCreation; 08-27-2010 at 12:54 AM.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190

Height: 5'4

Hi,

i am so impressed by your success! I need to lose 50 lbs and the main reason is I don't want to take blood pressure medication at the age of 32. Please share with me how you managed to lose the weight.
pchelka is offline   Reply With Quote