Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #46  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

MARIE I went back and changed the cost of the pizza oven to $4,000!

I had originally typed that then switched it to the 2 grand because it didn't seem right...checked with Angie this morning and she said yep to the 4 grand. They had it built...very nice....My sil/bil can afford it...surgeon and director of nurses....if it did rain the pizza is in an oven and I guess they could carry it into the house with an umbrella over it...lol...

but we live in Southern California...it never rains here....wink
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Marie-- Grey's was amazing! You were dedicated to find a way to watch it all. I was jumping, gasping, yelling and crying the whole episode! I think I need to watch it again!

Enough pizza talk already!! You all are going to have me wanting a pizza!

Day three with Jozi (my doggie) at school. She is so tired she will barely go out to pee and she refused breakfast this morning. It's not like she is even doing much at school-- she just has to look cute-- guess that's pretty exhausting! Today after classes, I have to run her home and then drive for a fieldtrip. She'll be happy to go to sleep in her comfy bed I'm sure!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #48  
Workin' It

Now I want pizza... Though, that is nothing new. When I was in France we had a margarita pizza - it had fresh tomato, whole leaves of basil, lots of cheese, and... get this... a big fried sunny side up egg in the center.

Michele - funny that your puppy is too worn out to eat. I guess we all get tired!

Gary - 4k pizza oven? Wow. I looked at a $2500 built in grill once, but have never seen a built in pizza oven. Sounds cool. And I bet the stick she pulled out was the Tide to Go... About the size of a pen, orange cap? It is fabulous. I bought an extra for my purse and one for DH this weekend.

Marie - great follow-up on the Grey's Anatomy! Wow, that took a lot of doing. My mom loves GA and said it was totally worth it. And I do avoid laundry because I hate the heck out of my W/D.

Dagmar - you can make sourdough pizza dough in a bread maker? I have one of those... do you use a recipe or a mix?

Allison - the salad does sound icky. FYI, DH & I did a load of research on the LG dishwashers and found a lot of comments that the water has to come in at exactly 120 degrees for good results - too cold or too hot both cause problems for some reason.

I'm going to buy a Bosch dishwasher I think. Dad wants my old fridge & DH's ex wants the dishwasher. Of course, I've found a place that will install for our appliance, but now we might end up installing the other one at her house. I'm questing for appliance installers a la carte now - DH and I are good with electronics and appliances and such, installed several ceiling fans, but I'm worried about a dishwasher. Especially one not at our house - I would feel a lot worse if we messed up the one at her house and then had to deal with that mess.

good day all!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-26-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #49  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

After the pizza discussion (sorry, Michele), I was inspired to make a pita pizza yesterday...one of my favorite lunches. I made mine with roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes and feta cheese. I normally would also toss on some nice baby bella mushrooms, but I was out. Unfortunately, I did not make good choices later in the day, so I am once again back to day #1 OP and working towards a week; the elusive 7 days in a row without going over my calories! I guess I will have to stop being lazy and actually count calories! I'm all planned out for today and I will use the last 6 days of this month to get back down to an acceptable weight.

Gary-I bet their pizza comes out delicious! Heck, I'd have one of those ovens if money were no issue.

Last edited by Ms Perception; 05-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #50  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! No personal today since I don't have much to say about dishwashers, refrigerators, or pizza.

So today I was in the gym at work and I was looking at the magazine rack while I was stretching. The work gym only has two magazines, Men's Journal and Health. Whenever I pick one up to look at, I always read the Men's Journal. Why? Because it is actually full of interesting and useful things, whereas Health is full of "Lose 5lbs in 5 days!" "Diet without being hungry!" and "Great skin and hair at any age!" Meanwhile, Men's Journal has features on stuff like how to train for a marathon, good exercises to strengthen your back, active vacations, info for getting into various sports, and the occasional article about food or drinks. Plus some interviews with famous men, which I could take or leave.

So I have to ask, do any of you know of any magazines that either have similar content to Men's Journal but aren't specifically for men, or have similar content but are actually for women? Are there any women's magazines that do NOT have features on losing weight and beauty? Because really I don't want to lose 5lbs on a crash diet, and I don't want to know which of 10 moisturizers is the best (I'm quite happy with the one I already use) or how to put on eyeliner. I want to know how to be fit and healthy and have fun vacations, and I can't believe that there aren't any other women with the same interests!

Edit - Maybe I should just subscribe to Men's Journal.

Last edited by paperclippy; 05-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jessica~what about Women's Health? I'm pretty sure that's the name of it.

Well, I survived my first session of PT, albeit a bit wobbly. Only one of the exercises was terribly painful--but not to my knee. Weird. There were others that hurt at first and then seemed to feel better on the second set of reps. Afterward I sat and iced for 10 minutes rendering my knee completely numb and now that I'm back to work I'm really wobbly as if I just ran a 5k. I'm certain that that is due to my lack of exercise for the past two months. I go back on Friday.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #52  

Shannon - I have installed my own dishwasher - a whirlpool, but to my knnowledge very similar to a Bosch -, and there is nothing to it as long as you are just replacing an old one. The thing has 3 hookups to make: 1) water in which was screwing the water hose to the tap. The water hose already has the atttachement part to it. 2) water out - which was hooking the outlet hose to spill into a drain pipe. 3 electricity in: mains plug into wall socket.
I would check if you have all the 3 hookups present, and if so, insalling should not be a problem.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #53  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Gary - 4k pizza oven? Wow. I looked at a $2500 built in grill once, but have never seen a built in pizza oven. Sounds cool. And I bet the stick she pulled out was the Tide to Go... About the size of a pen, orange cap? It is fabulous. I bought an extra for my purse and one for DH this weekend.
It's an outside oven...framed and plastered on site with a shelf ....that set of bil/sil in-law have $$$...luckily for Angie and I we are in the majority with the rest of both our families! Gonna check out that pen for Angie's purse.... I can wear my white t-shirts for dinner on date night again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Perception View Post

Gary-I bet their pizza comes out delicious! Heck, I'd have one of those ovens if money were no issue.
Honestly, that is what I hear...all the rage according to all the family that has had the pizza...and my wife...she has made her own there twice...as for me...haven't seen it They live 3-4 hours away depending on traffic, they have had it only since Christmas and I wasn't able to go up then with Angie. I'll let you know when I head up...I'll get a to go box for ya
Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #54  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Gary, ok $4K is even more ridiculous. Good thing they have great jobs. I’m thinking my regular oven does a good job. It took DH and I several years and pans to get it figured out how to bake it the way we like it. Although if you're sending MsP a to-go box, I'm just up the coast.

Michele, I truly thought it was one of the best TV shows I’d ever watched. It was well acted and written. And I was so happy that they didn’t leave a big cliffhanger. I hate those.

Shannon, an egg in the middle of the pie (Michele, I didn’t use that word you requested not be used)? That’s just plain gross. When DD and I were in Bangkok, they loved putting fried egg (not runny yolk) in sandwiches. The burgers, the chicken ones, the BLT. Everything. It was weird.

MsP, you can make your 7 day goal. You know how to do it.

Jessica, I remember the first issue of SELF and it was like what you’re reading in Men’s Journal. But now it’s the 5 LBS in 5 days nonsense.

Allison, I so get the pain elsewhere during the PT. My shoulder blade and upper back are sore while they’re working with the bicep tendon. My PT said that’s because the shoulder and upper back muscles are weak and what was caused the bicep tendon to roll across the joint, snapping back into place until the tendon was where it belonged. Week after week of that snapping is what caused the tendonitis. So now the goal is to strengthen the supporting muscles so that they are balanced. I “understand” but I do admit I wanted less pain. Perhaps your other pain is related to the need to balance the muscles supporting your knee.

A day full of appointments. I had my hair trimmed and returned to having some bangs that are swept off to the side. They look sort of cool. Then a PT appointment and finally a brow wax. Work is hectic and out of control so I just let the stress go. I can do what I can and the rest, well, I will give it my best shot. At no point was I driven to food. A co-worker came in my office and asked if I had an emergency stash of chocolate. I pointed to the file cabinet across from my desk and let him help himself. I wasn’t going to touch it or it would have been in my mouth.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #55  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Gary, ok $4K is even more ridiculous. Good thing they have great jobs. I’m thinking my regular oven does a good job. It took DH and I several years and pans to get it figured out how to bake it the way we like it. Although if you're sending MsP a to-go box, I'm just up the coast.
[/COLOR]
Marie
You got it MARIE...although my sil/bil are quite the entertainers I am sure you all would be welcome!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Marie~my therapist explained the "why" to all the exercises he had me do so I totally understand what the objective is. I'm not sore tonight, but I may be sore tomorrow. I did come home and ice my knee for an hour and it feels good now. I'm off to bed in a bit.

But I have a question first. Back when I was in high school (next year is my 30 year reunion...) the highest GPA that you could get was a 4.0. I don't know anyone who got a perfect 4.0. They didn't give A+. An A was the best you could get. Now they give A+. So the GPAs are higher. But we went to DS's awards tonight...He got the highest award for a freshman--above a 4.0. But what I don't understand is this: they announced the ten highest graduates and their GPAs. The valedictorian has a GPA of OVER 5.3. How does one achieve over a 5.3? How does one achieve over a 5.0? I just don't get it. Help me educators and those of you who graduated during the time they started giving out A+s.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #57  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

ALLISON I know in some schools you can get 5.0 and even 6.0 for Honors or AP classes.

As far as the + and - I'm not sure...My daughter was magna cum laude w/honors in college....my son was magna cum laude. One day she said something about I'll ask my brother he is smarter than me...I said whoa there girl...you got a higher GPA in college....she said no I didn't...brother was .10 away from summa cum laude...he missed it with an A-. I got honors because of my program....

whatever all that means!??....greek to me!

Easy on the knee!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-27-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #58  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Shannon, I went to the Women's Health magazine website, but the headlines it had were also about weight loss, look good naked, beauty, etc. Sigh.

Marie, I am laughing about the egg too. I went to Japan once, and in Japan they like to put *raw* egg in everything. They will crack a raw egg into a bowl of spaghetti, on top of a pizza, you name it. I guess the idea is that it "cooks" by being on your other hot food.

Allison, I'm trying to remember how the scoring worked in my high school (I graduated 10 years ago). They didn't have A+, but IIRC you did get an extra boost for AP classes. I remember being really angry because it was something like for an AP class you got an extra 0.25, but if you took a community college class you got an extra 0.75 or some such, so our valedictorian was only the valedictorian because he took a bunch of PE classes at a community college. So not fair! He was a cheater too. We all thought the girl with the second highest GPA should have been valedictorian. Oh well!

I seem to remember in college an A and an A+ would get you a 4.0 either way, but if you got an A- you only got 3.7, and I was annoyed because my second semester I missed a 4.0 because of an A- in physics lab. Funny how I was so upset at the time, but now I think it is the most trivial thing in the world.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #59  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Good morning all!

Marie-You are so right! I know what to do and I am finally doing it now. I have my food planned and I will stick to it and enjoy it!

Yesterday was great. Totally OP and I stayed busy, but still got my run in. Today the plan is to repeat! I've got my food planned and I just have to log it into fitday and we'll call it a success. It's so nice to be back to "normal".
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #60  
No description available.

Yup, it's AP and Honors classes. A B in an Honors class is worth an A in a regular class at my kids' school. So then they have weighted and unweighted GPAs, where one includes the "bump up" for AP and Honors classes.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote