Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #46  

Dagmar, Iris, I do the positive journalling and it really works. I read in a book that it has to do with the unconscious mind remimbering better if you have written it down: that reinforces thinking back unconsciously of what you wrote, and if these are the positive things this is positive feedback all day long.
Even the "gratitude" thread here at maintainers works for this, and the "name 5 positive things every morning" ditto. DD writes here 5 positives on the glass shower door every morning: works!

got to get up. work is very busy right now.
have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking positive journalling

This is part of a life coaching thingee. She gives a suggestion for each day. I have days 1-3:

Day 1 I'm making it (set up and name of the journal)
Day2 I believe in . . . write a list of what you believe in
Day3 Today I get to . . . list all the things you do today

I've had the week from **** so far so I'll have to start this on Saturday. I saved the link so I'm hoping I can get the next days from there.

I'm glad Day 3 falls on the day I'm not doing my taxes. I always have to pay the government so I don't think there's any way I can put a positive spin on that

Have a great Thursday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #48  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

Yesterday felt like a Friday to me. I'm not sure why? Nope, I've got two more days to go! Last night was our last dress rehearsal for "Oklahoma". Tonight we're working on a few of the big group numbers that need some...help...(eek!), and Friday is opening night. Ahh! I never get nervous for a show until the very last minute.

Jessica, I've read that if what is running out of your nose is clear and thin, it's from allergies. If it's colored and/or gunky, it's from a cold. This has held true for my seasonal allergies, though I have fall allergies, not spring.

Marie, glad Blizzard's troubles aren't too serious. And I'm glad the rash guard info helped you too!

Michele, I'm sorry to hear your job is up for elimination. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get good news, and that you get news sooner rather than later.

Iris, good luck finding a treadmill.

Dagmar, does the journaling repeat the "I believe in" part periodically? I always think it's interesting when I write down New Years resolutions to go back and look at them in a few years, see how I've changed. It usually shows me I have changed even if I didn't realize it.

Happy Thursday all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I took Chico in for his teeth cleaning yesterday. It was really interesting to watch. They took him back while I was filling out the forms and then I walked back to try and help him relax. He didn't want to lay down for anything. I told the lady that he's okay with it as it is the same way I do his nails (lay down on his back. between my legs, with his head in my lap). We finally got him down and upside down and he spread his paws in alarm (it was really funny), but I held one paw and stroked him and as soon as she started working on his teeth you could feel tension drain from him and when they were all done he almost fell asleep and didn't want to get up for anything. It was too funny!

Today is my Friday because I'm taking tomorrow off to make my enchiladas for the party Saturday. I have to make a little extra of the chicken ones to send home with DD. It was her roommates birthday yesterday and I asked him if he wanted her to bring some home. He was so excited to hear I'd do that. They both think that my chicken enchiladas are better than some at a restaurant that they both rave about!

Everyone have a good day and weekend if I don't post later.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #50  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Jessica, I hope you feel better quickly, especially since you have her 5K. If can’t run it, can your DH do it twice since it is for such a great cause?

Allison, does Chico like being in your office? I’d always thought my dogs would like spending a day with me but they don’t like it. They just want to go home. Maybe they pick that up from me – that I usually just want to go home. BTW, I’m glad I’m not the only one that ignores aches and pains because a dr. would tell me to rest and that sounds just wrong. And wow, your experience with Chico’s teeth cleaning is amazing. My doggies would never relax. You’ve trained Chico well.

Rabbit, I love that your DD does the 5 positives on the shower door. How awesome!

Dagmar, ok a positive spin on taxes…. Hmm, I’m thankful to pay my taxes because I’m lucky to be employed. OK, it was a stretch but…

Megan, I wish you’d been right that yesterday was Friday. If today was Saturday, that would be great. It’s sunny out (second time in about 3 weeks) and I’d love to be home enjoying the weather. I hope the group numbers come together tonight. BTW, I’m addicted to choc espresso beans (13 cals each and logged faithfully). But today when I grabbed my two, I thought of you and organic chemistry. So now you have me thinking of chemistry at their sight.

Blizzard is way better 24 hours later. Amazing the power of antibiotics. When they’re truly needed, they are awesome. Mostly I’m very against the liberal dispensing of drugs by drs but when needed, it’s awesome. Today we (dogs and I) have training with my animal behaviorist’s cohort. They have separate businesses but overlap occasionally. Tonight I get a fresh perspective on Sasha’s need to train for the Iditarod on a daily basis.

I have now hit one full month of strength training. I’d changed the workout after the first 4 weeks, but today had to scale a few moves back again because of the shoulder strain I did yesterday. I’d pulled something on/in my shoulder blade while putting my hair in a ponytail before using the elliptical. I’d been hurt enough times in my life due to exercise but not while getting ready. I went to the chiro yesterday and surprisingly it felt much better today. So onward and forward with the training. Smart? Maybe not but I did my goal I set out for today.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #51  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Marie, thanks. I'm feeling a bit better now although I did decide to come work from home this afternoon. If I can't run the race I will walk it -- whether I walk, run, or do nothing, the money still gets donated.

Megan, good luck with the play! The stuff from my nose is mostly clear and thin, but on the other hand I took some allergy medicine and it didn't do a thing, which kind of implies it's a cold. My first cold in like three years! Oh well.

Allison, that is so funny about Chico. Carter would never settle down like that! Must be a lab trait.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #52  
Workin' It

Hard drive repaired! Work computer back! Finally back in touch with the outside world! I was amazed at how little time I had to get to the computer at home the last three days. I am seriously jonesing for some 3FC chat!

Found out my backup utility hadn't been running even though the icon was always in the corner, but IT was able to recover my stuff. That is what tool so long, apparently.

Lots to catch up on...

Marie - glad Blizzard is feeling better! Enjoy the strength training. Be careful with your shoulder - I did something to mine a few months ago that was really a minor injury but lingered for over a month.

Michele - sucks that you had to read about the job situation in the paper. I'm so sorry. I know a woman on another board who had the same thing happen to her - found out the vote in the paper. She isn't an elementary librarian, I think she is a resource coordinator maybe?

Allison - enjoy the enchilada making! And you be careful with your knee - don't do any permanent damage to yourself. Doctor might be a good idea. Glad DS found a good solution to his karate situation, too.

Megan - opening night this week! Break a leg!

Iris - you can try Freecyle and Ebay for a treadmill, too. Craigslist is always good, too. I love having my treadmill in my garage.

Dagmar - positive journaling is a good thing. I try to do it, too.

Sznn - good job going for a run instead of eating!

Meg - glad your new computer is working smoothly!

Sheila - I need to plant some pretty things in my yard this year. And I really want to put in a little vegetable garden. My problem is finding the time to do it...

Wardhog - hope the bathroom reno goes well!

Jessica - funny about Carter not wanting to get up to exercise. I totally empathize with him! I don't either!

Pat - DH's ex has three cats and a Dyson. Loves it. Know a few other people with one, they also love it. I want one desperately. I got a Roomba for Christmas that I try to remember to run every few days, I just have one cat, but she can sure put out some fur all year round...It keeps up with her pretty well. I think I want a Scooba before the Dyson, though. I have a lot of hardwood downstairs and if it could scrub for me that would be cool.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #53  
Lifelong Journey Member

Jessica, I'm glad you're feeling better. A short lasting cold would be good. Allergies tend to go for a lifetime.

Shannon, wow!!! You get the award for the post. I think you're caught up. That's awesome your IT dept could retrieve your files.
Marie
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Marie~Chico doesn't get upset easily. And I didn't train him, he came like that LOL! His first 11 months were spent at a combo pet store/groomer. He picked up a lot living there such as don't move a muscle when you're being groomed! He never tries to shake off the water. It's really nice. When it's time to eat, he heels like nobody's business. If only he'd do it other times as well! He has manners--he doesn't jump up on anyone and if his toy is on the kitchen counter he'll jump up to get it, but if a milk bone is on the counter he'll sit and wait patiently for it (albeit drooling the whole time), but he won't take it. The only thing I've taught him is his house training. And he's okay in the office. Most of the time the front door was open and I know he'd love to go wander outside, but that's not good, so I had him leashed to my chair. If I left my office, he'd cry. Then we shut the door and let him wander and he just goes up and demands everyone's attention with the obligatory nose butt to get some petting. I envision having him at the office a lot more, but not until Buddy goes (and Buddy seems to be doing better and better every day). The vet said we had another 6 months with Buddy, and that was in December, and frankly, I can't see him slowing down for another 6 or 8 months. His arthritis meds are working wonders.

Oh, so I ordered my MacBook Pro! I got the cinema display delivered today, but it does little good without the computer. I hope to get the computer tomorrow, but it probably won't come until Monday.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon-- what's a Scooba? I have only laminate floors and ceramic tile in my house but loads of fur due to 2 dogs and 2 cats. I usually just use the swiffer but would love something better.

Still not sure about my job situation. There are so many rumors flying. Dh was up until 1:30 last night doing our taxes. We are not happy with the state of California right now. My dd said she had never heard those words said in our house before!

On the up side-- I finally see some improvement with my foot. It was hurting a lot on Tuesday and I was worried. But today it feels much better even though I did spin last night. Like someone else said (Marie?), I don't want to go to the doctor because I know they'd tell me to stay off of it and then I couldn't exercise. Quite different from the "old days" when I would find any and all excuses not to exercise!

On the down side-- my cruise weight is still here minus a pound or so. I thought I had gained 5 pounds but I looked back in my journal that I started before the cruise, and I actually gained 6.6 pounds in 5 days! Trying to be patient. Dh leaves Saturday for 2 weeks and I always do better when he is gone. He loves to cook and even though he mostly cooks healthy, he uses much more salt, oil, etc. than I do and I tend to eat larger portions when he cooks. When he is gone I stick to my WW recipes or just something super easy.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Allison, Chico sounds like a wonderful dog. You don't find too many dogs willing to get their teeth done without being under.

Just a quick post to say that I went to the gluten-free store today. $7.49 for a pound of gluten-free oatmeal! I couldn't believe it. I miss oatmeal, although from what I've read, it's okay to eat it once a week. I'm pretty much okay with not having bread, but not having oatmeal for breakfast is hard especially since I don't eat eggs. And I'm not paying $7.49 for a pound. The nutritionist I was supposed to see yesterday was sick, and the office person didn't know when she could schedule me again since she's already booked into July. Guess I'll muddle through. . .

Have a joyful Thursday, everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #57  

Michelle, a scooba is like a roomba but it wet cleans your floor. It has a tank for clean water and a tank for the dirty water. I have one and it works well on even floors, like tile or laminate. I have rough floors downstairs (unpolished rough cut natural stone) and it gets stuck on those, but it does well in the upstairs bathrooms (tile) and bedrooms (laminate).
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #58  
Workin' It

Michele -what Rabbit said about the Scooba!

Rabbit - I'm glad to hear that you like it. How wet does it leave the floor? I'm wondering if it is okay for wood floors...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #59  
Lifelong Journey Member

Allison, Chico sounds like an angel. How cool he's so nicely trained and you didn't have to go through months of training. Pre-trained sounds very wonderful! Are you getting one of the new Macbook Pros??? I read yesterday that they were updating it. That would be nice. First on on the block to have a new toy.

Michele, I'm having a tough time envisioning you eating an extra 23,000 calories to gain 6.6 pounds. My guess is your still retaining water. It takes my body at least one week after trips to get the retained water off. Also I loved how you put the no dr. with injuries in perspective. I'd never thought about how I'd use any excuse not to exercise. Now I find every reason to exercise. I like that spin.

Sheila, I live in a town where the shopping is horrendous so I am an Amazon nut. I looked up your gluten free oatmeal and found it for 2.79 a pound. I have Amazon prime so the shipping is free and I don't know what it would be but still a better deal than your local place. Here's the link.

rabbit, I want a scooba too!!!! So the question of how wet it leaves the floor is repeated from me...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Marie-- I guess you're right... I probably didn't eat that much extra..... I just thought the water weight would come off in a few days....but I need to be more patient.

You can't possibly order more from Amazon than I do! I also have a Prime membership and I order practically daily. Much of what I order are books for school, but I also order tons of other things-- including healthy, pre-portioned snacks. I LOVE Amazon!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote