Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #46  
Workin' It

I love bay scallops... I wouldn't have thought about having to have a scalloping license...

Pat - I bet the cats were confused by you sleeping on the deck!

So, I am a less than creative cook... I have frozen veggies from my grandfather's garden I want to put into a soup or something: tomatoes, okra, corn, green beans, what else should I put in? DH doesn't like beans or peas, so those are out ... I was thinking chicken, maybe some rice or potato. Maybe some squash. Do I just mix it all together with water and cook it until everything is squishy?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM   #47  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I don't know if I've ever had bay scallops. I've seen them in the store. When I used to live in Rhode Island they always had the most gorgeous looking scallops in the seafood display but I was afraid of cooking them wrong so I never got them. The seafood is definitely the one thing I miss about Rhode Island!

My bug bite is getting better. The swelling has gone down and the red part is now only about 3-4 inches across instead of 6 inches across. Yay!

Now I have a NRLW rant. I started Stage 2 this week, and while the first workout was kind of long, it wasn't too bad. I'm planning on doing workout B today, but why is it so long??? I usually do my workouts at lunchtime at work since that is when I have access to a weight room for free. Workout A had 7 exercises and took me about 40 minutes, which is just about as long as I can do at lunchtime considering I need time to change and potentially shower. Workout B has 9 exercises PLUS 15 minutes of interval training. How am I possibly supposed to do all that in a reasonable amount of time??
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #48  
Chuggin' along...

Someone in my office's roommate has scabies. As of this morning, the person in my office has scabies. She's not here today, but she was here yesterday. All week, in fact. Oh joy, a scabies outbreak.

Jessica, why don't you just do as much as you can at lunchtime, and do what you can't fit in right after work or this evening? You don't know how long the workout will take you until you try it!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Jessica-- glad your bite is going down. My uncle and aunt live in Rhode Island and when we visit I love to get lobster!!

Megan--- gross on the scabies!! Don't catch it!!

I wanted to come and post something this morning-- can't remember for the life of me what it is-- thought it was something important to say about food or exercise-- maybe I'll be back later when my faulty memory comes back!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #50  
slow and steady

Megan - ew scabies! Yuck!

I took your advice about the workout . . . I ended up doing everything except the interval training. It was about 45 minutes for the main workout, plus another 10 minutes of stretching afterwards, 5 minutes warmup before, and a few minutes to change clothes. I usually do cardio on the days I don't do weights so I might leave the interval training for tomorrow.

That was a really tough workout! I have a feeling I won't be able to lift my arms tomorrow morning.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #51  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
My uncle and aunt live in Rhode Island and when we visit I love to get lobster!!
Michele - the second formal night on the ship had filet mignon and Maine lobster tail "surf and turf" as one of the entrees! It worked out even better for me as one of my friends doesn't like lobster - silly girl - and we traded my filet for her tail and we were both happy. There's lots of excellent seafood on their menu, btw.

Glad to hear your bug bite is better Jessica, and I was going to suggest the same thing Megan did, so I'm glad to hear it worked out.

We are still in our hot/humid weather pattern and now have the added pleasure - not - of smoke from forest fires to the north and south of us. Very hazy and air quality levels are going down (is that right? the air is getting worse anyway )

I'm off to the eye doctor. I'm on a quest once again to see if we can find a contract prescription that will let me read with contacts. I really prefer them to my glasses.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm feeling better today. Still sick, but the cough has diminished a bit.

My bookkeeper went to the dermatologist yesterday to look at what she thought was a bug or spider bite on her calf. She got it several weeks ago and it hasn't healed and it gave her a burning sensation. Well, it turns out it is skin cancer, so he cut it out and sent it for biopsy. She used to be a sun worshiper. Just goes to show you: use sunscreen and don't ignore a sore.

I got my new dishwasher yesterday and DH and DS installed it last night. Our old one (Amana) wasn't old, but had a slight leak since it was first installed 5 1/2 years ago. About 5 or 6 months ago the leak got much worse and repairs didn't help. When we ran it, we'd have to have a towel under the door to sop up all the water. The new one (LG) is so quiet! Amazing. And today we get a new fridge. Nothing at all wrong with the old one, but I just fell in love with the French door type and we decided to splurge!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:02 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Michele - the second formal night on the ship had filet mignon and Maine lobster tail "surf and turf" as one of the entrees! It worked out even better for me as one of my friends doesn't like lobster - silly girl - and we traded my filet for her tail and we were both happy. There's lots of excellent seafood on their menu, btw.
Yum! Can't wait to experience the seafood. I assume there will be lots of Alaskan salmon as well. Can't believe you were down 3 pounds after your cruise!! What do you attribute that to? Did you get a lot of exercise? Just watch what you ate? Did you eat at the Pinnacle Grill? I would just hope to break even-- wow!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #54  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
It worked out even better for me as one of my friends doesn't like lobster - silly girl - and we traded my filet for her tail and we were both happy. There's lots of excellent seafood on their menu, btw.
When we were kids my sis & I looooved lobster claws, but we thought the tails were gross. I'm sure we had just decided that and hadn't even tasted them. So the 1-2x a year that we got lobster (usually after a vacation to Maine - big treat for us!) we would ask Mom & Dad to trade our tails for their front claws. Oh, we liked the little claws too, probably more to play with than anything. They'd say "Are you sure? Okaaaaay." Acting all reluctant.

Sometime in our teens we caught on to the deliciousness of the tails! To this day my sis & I give our parents trouble about that trick. Mmm, how I love lobster!

I'm also very impressed that you lost 3# on your cruise, Pat. Great job!!!

Last edited by Megan1982; 07-09-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #55  
slow and steady

I have mixed feelings about lobster -- I like lobster ravioli and the like, but seeing a whole lobster, they just look like bugs. Cockroaches of the sea!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #56  

Ooh, Jessica, I agree--lobsters and shrimp and crawfish do look like bugs! Yuck! But, they taste wonderful! That said, I would probably have a very difficult time putting a real bug in my mouth knowingly.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #57  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I assume there will be lots of Alaskan salmon as well.
Of course, two choices every night! We did not eat the Pinnacle Grill by the way, but we had a great table in the dining room - right by the window.

And as for losing 3 lbs, who knows I did exercise the first few days, like til Wed, but I also tried to made decent food choices. We had room service for breakfast most days, so actually made the choice the night before - when I wasn't hungry. Lunch was the worst as we went to the buffet every day (there is table service available in the dining room though) and dinner, while it had lots of choices, the serving sizes were small, and I didn't always have dessert. We did a lot of walking just from the nature of the ship and getting from one end to the other, and in port of course.

The eye doctor was fairly encouraging about getting some contacts that will work for me. He's a new doc to me, and is about my age with the same eyesight issues.... I had to have the trial pair ordered, so won't have them until next week. Now I'm sitting in my office with the lights out as my eyes are still dilated.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #58  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I see lobsters in the tanks, awaiting their fate, and I feel so bad I can't eat them.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #59  

Oh, good news! I researched all the hotels we're booked at in Italy. Only one does not indicate wifi connection. Most have at least a hot spot within the hotel with a few indicating that all rooms have wifi. I think I'll be taking my little netbook so I can stay in touch (my cell phone won't work over there). I've already researched that my netbook is dual voltage so all I need is an adapter and a European surge protector. I'm also going to invest in a dual voltage hair dryer as I just can't be without a hair dryer and none of the hotels indicate that amenity (although some have coffee makers in the room, so who knows?).

I sent my friend a note today to ask what kind of clothes she's planning on taking. I may have to do a little more shopping this weekend! LOL

Oh, so I got a card from my OBGYN saying it is time for my yearly exam. Usually when I call I have to wait 4-6 weeks before I can get in, so I was thinking I'd have to wait until September becasus 4 weeks from now I'll be in Italy. Nope. They'll see me next Wednesday. Now to explain to the doctor why I've gained 10 pounds since my last appointment....when he wanted me to lose 10....can I just say I HATED the diet book he recommended?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #60  
Workin' It

Good afternoon, everyone!

It has been a long day at work today and I am about to head for home... Yesterday was another great day calorie and exercise wise, woo hoo! I had been toying with no exercise today, and the late workday clinches it. Today will be my rest day and I'll have to get in something on one of the two weekend days. I can make it happen...

Allison - cool on the wifi in Italy! Glad you can get in to your GYN early! I just got my card reminding me of my appointment coming up, too...

Jay - I love lobster, but I have a hard time at the places with them in the tanks, too...

Pat - hot, humid, and now forest fires? ick...

Megan - scabies... I'm with everyone else on the yucky...

Jessica - glad the bite is feeling better! And, I was surprised by your post about the NRLW workout taking so long - I thought they were 30 minutes long?

Michele - did you ever remember what it was that you forgot to post yesterday?

Had to drive up to the company farm today to hire a caretaker assistant. It was a nice day for a drive in the country... Now back to my hot house from my nice, cold, office...

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote