Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Ouch, Shannon, that hurts! But no, ice cream won't make it better. This sounds nutty, but when I'm tempted to eat off plan, I go to my closet and look at all my cute little clothes. And somehow I always decide that they're a lot more fun that any food could be!! So take a field trip to your closet and maybe you'll feel a lot stronger!!
That's a lot more fun that what I do - go downstairs, strip naked and look in the full length mirror. Maybe I'll put on some of the cute little clothes in my closet, go downstairs, and look at myself wearing them.

Bummer about the AC Shannon. But at least you'll be cool and not sweaty in all of your cute little clothes.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #17  
Meg

Dagmar!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #18  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hello everyone.

Dagmar - I say, bodies tend to react in such different ways that, who knows, maybe stopping the semi-dieting thing will trigger something and then you'll lose again. I sure am not trying to understand anymore. ^_^

Jessica - I guess it's pretty much the same for me. I could likely finally get to those 120-121 lbs I was aiming for, and yet, somehow, maintaining where I'm at now is easy, and I don't know if forcing my way down would be a good decision.

Megan - Uh, yes, that's a nasty surprise. The few times I went snorkeling, we always had to be extra careful the same way. The good point was that we did that in lakes, so there were trees around and a bit of shadow on the banks.

This week I'm on holidays, I mean on real holidays, with no school work to do even when I'm off-work... and it feels both good and weird. I'm not used to holidays anymore. I'm all set on doing nothing but pleasure reading and playing games with friends and having walks and all that, but there's still a part of me that keeps on thinking "well, I don't have anything to work on today, isn't there a problem?".

I was in Lille from July 1st to July 4th last week, for my oral exams. Truth be told, I don't know if I'll pass—the second day went well enough, but I feel like the first day was a catastrophe (poor English vocabulary, didn't manage to finish my presentation, not sure at all on the grammar points I had to explain...). Of course, the more I think of it, the more I 'see' mistakes that perhaps I didn't even make! So for the moment, I'm just keeping with my psychological strategy of telling myself I've failed, so that either I'll be very pleasantly surprised or ready to face the disappointment.

Oh yes, I've also been a feast. Yes, have been: for all the mosquitoes that invaded my room during these 3 days. I counted 53 marks on my body, and then I just stopped counting. I can still see them this morning. Way to look glamorous in a short dress with my legs and arms marked in such a way, huh.

And speaking of bodies, indeed, I don't understand anymore. Since all I had was a 15 sqm hotel room with no means of cooking whatsoever, I basically spent four days eating on the run (sandwiches, McDo's, chocolate muffins and bread & jam, with apples thrown in). I went back home thinking I must have put on weight... actually I had lost two pounds that had been nagging at me for the past three weeks. Well, I was also stressed and very focused during the exams, and walking a lot in between in order to calm my nerves, so maybe it helped. But still, I don't know if I must be happy or frightened—frightened that I may get complacent, think "I can eat whatever and not gain", and then all of a sudden it'll be back to square one with extra pounds on top (we all know the drill).

Anyway—holidays! This afternoon, I'm heading for my hometown for three days, to be nicely pampered by my parents and enjoy books I didn't have enough time to read before. Rawr!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #19  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison, I agree - WHY do conference centers always keep rooms FREEZING? Whenever my company has an off-site meeting I make sure to bring extra sweaters. Sorry about the cold, I hope you feel better soon! We need a chicken soup smiley . . .

Kery, I hope the exam went well! I don't remember, are you studying to be an English teacher? From your posts I think your English is very good!

I have also been attacked by biting bugs. I got a bug bite on my calf that started out small, but now is 3-4 inches in diameter and swollen. I coated it in cortizone cream this morning so hopefully the swelling will go down some! I have several other bug bites but none are nearly as bad as the one on my calf.

Dinner yesterday was kind of a mess, but at least I stuck to my plan and went out for a run even though I wasn't feeling too hot (the lingering effects of that cup of coffee in the morning - ugh!). About 2.1 miles, not bad considering I haven't run in three weeks. I felt pretty good, so I don't think I'd have a problem with 5k. I also biked 10 miles last weekend, so now I just need to get my swimming back up to speed and I should be okay for another sprint triathlon in August.

Starting stage 2 of NRLW today! Wish me luck! Actually I need scheduling luck - I plan to work out at lunchtime, but I got scheduled for meetings from 10:30-11:45 and another from 1:00-2:00. Hopefully I can still squeeze in the workout.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #20  
Workin' It

Good morning all! Thanks for all the support on avoiding the ice cream last night, it helped! I said no to the ice cream and yes to working out my frustration on the treadmill.

Meg - the cute clothes tour was a good motivator, but I didn't have to go all the way to my closet... The bikini I wore at my brother's house last week was still hanging up in the laundry room where I put it to dry so I had to walk right by it to get back downstairs, where I was pondering heading for my car keys. I went back and got the HRM and hit the treadmill instead! Thanks for the idea! I'm going to use that one again!

Allison - sorry you don't feel well! Hope the cold turns soon. On the wifi, I don't think it will work in the smaller places, maybe the bigger cities. My MIL took her Kindle on a cruise last summer, went to London, Russia, Amsterdam, somewhere else I can't remember... It couldn't connect to wifi to download books very many places at all...

Michele - I haven't done a long drive myself in years... Harry Potter on tape will be good company for you guys on the road!

Dagmar - naked in the mirror tends to help me stop the snacking, too, but I do it upstairs in my bedroom instead of downstairs!

Kery - glad your exams are over! Enjoy your holidays and get some rest! I've had the same experience where I eat junky food for a few days and lose weight, it was a struggle not to start thinking I could eat whatever I wanted again, but you can do it!

Jessica - If the bite on your calf stays swollen, you might try benadryl cream on the bite alternated with the cortisone. DSS got one on his leg a few weeks ago at daycare that swelled like that and the pharmacist at target recommended the benadryl cream - it helped with the redness and swelling, cut down the itching some.

I'm moderately stiff today - strength training while waiting for the AC guy, treadmill after he left. Got in plenty of exercise for the day, though! Now I'm just waiting for the AC company to call to schedule the coil install, hopefully for this week.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #21  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Allison, I agree - WHY do conference centers always keep rooms FREEZING? Whenever my company has an off-site meeting I make sure to bring extra sweaters. .
They don't want anyone to fall asleep
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning all.

Wow, what 10 1/2 hours of sleep will do for you! I feel better, but still pretty sickly from the cold, but at least I don't feel like I'm suffering like I felt yesterday.

I do know why they keep conference rooms cold--it is because if it isn't cool enough, you get all the lights and bodies in there and it warms up quickly and then the AC units can't work efficiently to cool it down. So they start with it cold and it eventually warms up to normal. Of course, that took 5 days and by then the damage was done.

Good news, my weight is exactly the same as when I left. So at least I didn't do any additional damage.

Michele~most of my travels in Italy will be in the Florence region. I did see a couple of the hotels that do offer wifi so I would assume they'd be compatible with my little netbook. I know Kindle doesn't work overseas, so if I take that I'll have to preload it with books, but I have a feeling I won't be reading much over there. Anyway, my schedule is this:

Florence 3 days
Lucca 1 day
San Gimignano 1 day
Siena 2 days
Perugia 1 day
Arezzo 1 day
and then back to Florence for one day before we head home

My friend did all the booking, flight, hotels and rental car and now she's going to decide on what we'll do in each city. It should be fun.

Shannon~my sister has the worst luck with her AC. She has some weird geothermal unit that no one seems to understand how to work on it (the company that installed it went out of business) so it breaks down about every year and they have to hire 2 to 3 different repairmen before they find someone who is actually qualified to do the work. I think if I were them I'd change the whole thing out so save themselves further problems. Good luck getting yours fixed.

Last edited by alinnell; 07-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- glad you feel somewhat better!!
So, just you and your friend will be in Italy? What an awesome trip!! When do you go?
We went to San Gemignano (beautiful!) and Siena.

We actually did a walking tour throughout Siena. It was amazing and we want to do it again or another one in a different region.
We were totally on our own for our tours-- we had a book with maps to follow and we had to get to the next town by the end of the day. The tour guide just brought our suitcases to the next hotel and were available if we ran into trouble, but otherwise we didn't see them. We loved it. I would love to do it again now that I'm in better shape!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #24  

Michele~We will fly out on August 9th and return around the 19th. And it is just the two of us--old college buddies. We're doing all of this on our own, no guided tours or anything. My friend has wanted to go there forever (fell in love with the movie--what was it, about the lady who visits Tuscany and decides to move there?). She must have 20 books on the region and since it is she who wants to go, I'm letting her make all the decisions. I'm just paying my way (oh, and she's making me drive as she isn't as good at a manual transmission).
Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #25  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm back from cruising, and decided I just needed to jump in rather than finding time to read what's going on with everyone!

Allison - I'm suffering right along with you, having caught a summer cold on the cruise. I've stopped wheezing and am only having coughing spells occasionally now, but what a nuisance. I have a GF like yours - she'll go to Italy at that lease suggestion, esp Tuscany. I need to find time to go with her.

I had a lovely time on the cruise, and ate reasonably sensibly. I had to stop working out when I got sick, and so it's been almost a week. I'm going to the gym after work, and I'll weigh (no scale at home). My clothes feel the same, if I can trust that.

Our 25 year old microwave died while I was gone, and we have begun the search for one that will fit into the space, and will connect to the duct work to vent it outside. DH had way too many questions for the poor gal at Home Depot last night.

Work as you might imagine is busy, but at least our City Manager is on vacation til next week, so the meetings are at a minimum.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

<---(Didn't know microwaves have to be vented...??)

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #27  

Jay~I don't think the microwave itself needs to be vented, but if it is an over the stovetop model, then it usually has a built in vent to vent the fumes from the stove.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Jay~I don't think the microwave itself needs to be vented, but if it is an over the stovetop model, then it usually has a built in vent to vent the fumes from the stove.
Wow! I had no idea about any of this. We have had a microwave for the first time in the house we have been renting for 4 years. It came with the house and sits on top of the fridge, right where the owner had put it. There is no venting of anything to anything.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #29  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Huh! One does learn new things! I checked it out, and yes, the ones that get installed over a range do have an outside venting option--for the range, not the microwave itself.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #30  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
the ones that get installed over a range do have an outside venting option--for the range, not the microwave itself.
Oops, didn't mean to freak anyone out here. Ours is over the range, and since it's where the range hood would be, it can be vented to the outside, and our current one was, so we want to be able to just use the vent that's already installed.... The one we have at work just sits on top of the fridge too.

ANd may I tell you, it's a pain not to have a microwave!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote