Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Food was good all weekend except for the "oatmeal raisin" cookies I made last night. It was one of those Pillsbury packs--just a dozen cookies so I only had four, but where on earth was the oatmeal? I couldn't see or taste any. And they weren't particularly good tasting. I probably should have bought a dozen in the bakery instead (and those you can see AND taste the oatmeal!).
I've always added extra oatmeal to my cookies when I make them, long before I was trying to be any healthier. Mine are very, very oatmeal-y . Oatmeal cookies are my favorite.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone!

I read everyone's posts but again don't have time to reply to each one. I hope everyone feels well, gets rest, eats and exercises OP all week!

I am just back from visiting dd at college. I am up about 2 pounds-- don't know how you did it Meg! And I was only there 3.5 days! I brought exercise clothes but didn't use them. Somehow I mistakenly booked the wrong hotel (same chain), so rather than being right by the college (walking distance), we were almost 30 min away. There was a crappy exercise room with about 2 pieces of broken equipment-- so I did a fair amount of walking..... Food was as OP as I could do-- I always stress eating out because I just don't know what I'm getting. I ended up with a severe back problem the day or so before I left. It hurt the whole time I was gone and I was still in severe pain this am. I even went to the gym last night to see if it would help to stretch it-- didn't seem to make it better or worse. It does seem a little better today so I'm going to repeat the same regimen-- go to the gym, take aleve and put a heat patch on it. I forgot how cranky I get with pain!

It was amazing to see my dd. I've missed her so much. She and I are very close. She is doing great-- enjoying her classes, making friends, making good choices. The only downside is she does seem to have gained more weight. I have learned that if I say anything about her weight, it makes her eat more/worse, so I tried not to say anything (and told dh not to as well). I know she eats when stressed. I want her to lose weight but she has to want to lose weight for it to happen. She is going to the gym some so we talked about making sure she keeps that as a regular habit. The eating is more difficult for her though. She is just one of those people (like so many of us are) that can't eat anything bad or she puts weight on and I know she is eating out with friends and eating dorm food and it isn't a good combo..... so I hope she eventually wants it for herself. Her self-esteem is terrible and I know it is weight related, but it is a vicious cycle. I told dh that right now she needs to concentrate on being a college student and we shouldn't focus on the weight, so that is what we are going to do.

I have an interview Wednesday with WW-- wish me luck!

I've also got tons to do-- laundry, housecleaning, work on my class I'm taking.....so I pray my back cooperates.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #18  

Default Today's My Big Day!

Celebrate with me! Today is the 365th day of my maintenance. For the past year, I have maintained a weight loss of 84+ lbs. I am pleased to have made it this far, and I am committed to continuing this journey and continuing to learn and choose to live a healthy lifestyle. I know this is just a small step on a lifetime of steps that will keep me slim and healthy.

Today, I talked with a woman who had lap band surgery and has lost 65 lbs since Feb. Though I'm thrilled for her and know each person has to find their own way toward weight loss, I am thrilled that I'm not limited to eating only 1/2 cup of food each day as she is! That's her food for the day! Can you imagine!?! I can't. I told her I'd keep her as my inspiration, so when I am still hungry, I can think about only being able to eat 1/2 c of food and know that I can't be that hungry!

Since I've made it for a year, I want to reward myself. What did you do to reward yourself when you had maintained your weight loss for a year? I want to do something special but not too costly.
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #19  

Height: 5'7"

Jessica, I hope your blood tests give you some good answers.

Megan, I'm glad to hear you pulled a good weekend out of a lousy Friday.

Wardhog, I'm with you on diet being more important. Perhaps we should start the holiday threads early, since Halloween is clearly being an issue for a lot of people.

midwife, :Hug:

Allison & Michele, glad you got to see your DDs.

Pat, your post made me cold. Of course I get cold when it's 50 degrees out.

Hi kittycat & Julie!

Congrats on your year goal!! I got myself a ring when I lost my weight. A nice reminder.

DS is fine again today. He got introduced to bananas yesterday. I fed him some today and he ate and ate and ate, until suddenly he puked. Not like a little spit up either. So aha, maybe DD got her eating genes from her father, but the boy clearly has mine.

I'm ready for tomorrow. Pump, purse, and lunch all ready to grab, clothes for my run and work laid out. Kids are asleep, although I'll wake the boy here in a couple for his final feed of the night, in hopes we'll both make it through.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #20  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, It's getting cold here. I've got out the winter coats! I try to wait untill the last min., because that't like admitting that witner is finally here. Worked all weekend, did pretty well with the eating, but of course no exercise. Worked at Curves yesterday for my DIl and exercised while I was there. Today I'll have to dust the treadmill off and start using that for exercise. I might be able to get a walk in outside, but it's supposed to rain. Warm rain is fine to walk in, but I don't want to get wet when it's this cold!

On the subject of the oatmeal cookies. Homemade, lots of oatmeal, raisins and dried cranberries and walnuts! I tell myself that with ing. like that they have some health benefits!

Mitchelle, I'm sure you'll have those extra pounds off in no time! I am glad to hear that your trip went well, in spite of the bad back! Hard to enjoy anything while you're in pain like that. I agree with you about not saying anything to your DD about her weight. At this point it would just make things worse. You will be there for her when she decides to do something about it.

Hi to everyone.

Freda

Midwife, Hope things are going better. And it is depressing, talking to people who have lost their jobs...no insurance, worrying about losing their homes. My friends works Psych. and she said the wards are full right now with people with those problems!

Goalsusccess, WHOO HOOO!!! A whole year down! You have every right to be proud of yourself. I haven't gotten to a year yet, but soon. I did reward myself for every month that I don't gain. I buy myself a charm for my charm bracelet. It's a big incentive for me. But, yes, you do need something to mark the year!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Congratulations Goal Success!!!! What a fabulous accomplisment! As far as rewards, I don't think I gave myself a reward on my anniversary. Though clothes shopping is always an option. Enjoy!

I made oatmeal raisin cookies on Sunday. Best recipe in the world, right off the Quaker Oats lid. They are my favorite. Even BETTER then homemade chocolate chip cookies. My daughter was invited to a party and at the last minute the girl asked her is she could please bake something. I could shoot me for not having a Duncan Hines Cake mix laying around, I usually do for just these times, but I didn't. And since it was so close to the time my daughter had to leave, I baked them instead of her. Man oh man was it hard to resist them. I'm glad I didn't have much time as I packed those babies up in a pretty box and shipped them off with my DD. I did have a couple of the crumbs though, the ones that feel through the cooling rack and about a half a cookie. They are soooo good. My daughter said they were a huge hit. Yeah, no kidding.

Midwife - And I gave my kids extra hugs yesterday.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #22  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning all,

It's windy and cold here (not as cold as where most of you are, but cold!). Brrrrrr! I didn't want to get out of bed.

Here's an office rant for you, Jessica. Half & half in my coffee is one thing I never gave up. I cut it back to 1 tablespoon, and having it just makes every morning so much better. I keep a little container in the fridge at work. Usually it's fine and no one "borrows" from it. Yesterday I came in, went to put a little in my warm yummy coffee, and - what? Not there? In the trash? Someone came in and used it up over the weekend, didn't replace it, and didn't say anything to me. Seriously people, messing with my coffee turns me from to . I think I know who it is too - someone who literally forgets things aren't hers - but I shouldn't make assumptions, grumble grumble. I've finally got a chance to go to the store tonight and get some more, but my coffee today is just not up to par. You can bet my name is being written on the new container.

Smelly office lunches I can deal with, since I have a lunch there too. It drives me crazy when I'm finishing my workout at about 6:00 at the gym and the gym employee gets his smelly dinner - spaghetti with meat sauce or fried chicken are two common ones. It makes my dinner hunger come early as I try to finish my workout and get home to my dinner ASAP!

Robin, I don't know about better than chocolate chip, but those oatmeal raisin cookies are definitely a classic goody in my book. Great job resisting! And restock the cake mix!

goal, congratulations one 1 year of maintenance!!! You're doing wonderfully.

Michele, I hope your back feels better soon. Would going to the doctor help? Glad your DD is enjoying school so much, even if she has gained a bit of weight.

Stay warm everyone!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #23  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Goal, congratulations!!!

Anne - LOL about the food genes.

Freda - I got my winter coat out two days ago, and turned the heater on last week. It's a big change from last year, when it was still 80 degrees out this time!

I'm getting my bloodwork done tomorrow, but I realized today that the hypoglycemia and night sweats are both listed as potential side effects of one of my medications. Mystery solved. I've been trying to get my doc to take me off this med for months -- maybe she finally will now (she wanted to wait until my thyroid was stabilized).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #24  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Megan, that sucks about your half and half! Our office stocks just the non-dairy creamer powder, but I know some people bring their own milk/cream.

I splurged on my ghetto cafe mocha this morning (sf hot cocoa powder + coffee + hot water). Only 50 extra cals, I can handle that.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations goalsuccess!!!

Michele~I swear, you and I could be twins!! Our dd's, too! My dd thought she had lost weight while away, but hasn't. I know she tries (especially now because she has a boyfriend who is very skinny), but she doesn't make the best food choices. She eats a lot of nachos, macaroni & cheese and burgers. I suggested that my salsa chicken might be a better choice, so she says as soon as she finishes her burgers (she buys in bulk to save $$) she'll buy a family pack of chicken breasts. And I have to bite my tongue to not mention her weight to her.

I'm home from work this morning. I have the cable guy and the appliance repair guy both coming this morning. I had to call the cable as we are unable to access any movies on demand/ The fridge repair guy will hopefully be able to fix the leak so we can make ice again. I'm just glad I was able to get them both scheduled for the same morning!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison-- yes, my dd said she thought she had lost 10 pounds but had probably regained it. I asked if she had weighed herself and she said no. I know she has gained a bunch....sigh.....

Paperclippy-- glad you may have solved your own mystery! I hope you can get off the meds.

Megan-- I would be soooo ticked if that happened! I agree-- write your name ALL OVER the new one and maybe the person will get the idea. I have put a box of candy in the staff room here with a note that I'm selling the bars (well, my dd is) to raise money for a choir trip to NY and Boston. They have been selling well so I keep replacing them, but they are always a few dollars short (honor system). Hello-- you are stealing from a 13 year old?!?!

Goalsuccess-- wow! A year at goal! That is so exciting!! What do you want to do? Splurge on some clothes? Take a mini trip? Buy a piece of jewelry commerorating the occassion? Think of something you wouldn't ordinarily do that will have meaning to you. I have my bracelet (thank you Freda for the idea) that I buy a new charm for each month that I stay at or below goal. I love the constant reminder as I never take the bracelet off.

So glad I'm not a big oatmeal cookie fan or all this talk would drive me crazy. Choc chip cookies are another story. The secretary at my school (skinny b**ch) cooked a ton of them last week (in our workroom where we have a stove)-- the smell was overpowering and she shoved a plate in my face. I'm sure I looked rude as I turned my head away and practically shouted-- no thank you!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #27  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsuccess View Post
Since I've made it for a year, I want to reward myself. What did you do to reward yourself when you had maintained your weight loss for a year? I want to do something special but not too costly.
I applied to join the National Weight Control Registry on my first anniversary of reaching goal. In order to qualify, one must have lost at least 30 pounds and kept it off for a least a year, so you certainly meet both tests! If you're not familiar with it, check it out ... it's one of -- if not THE ONLY -- study group of people who have lost weight and are keeping it off. National Weight Control Registry Lots of us here are members and I'd like to think we're having an effect on the research and findings about successful maintenance.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #28  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yes. How could I have forgotten? That's EXACTLY what I did for my one year anniversary - The National Weight Control Registry. Well, I probably know why I forgot - I received all the paperwork from them - but I've yet to fill it out. I MUST work on that. What's wrong with me? I was SO looking forward to my first anniversary specificallly with the NWCR in mind.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #29  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

goalsuccess - congrats on your anniversary!

I had joined NWCR after keeping 50 pounds off for over a year. It felt like a huge accomplishment then.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Goalsuccess, congratulations!!!

I think joining the NWCR is a super anniversay idea. Wish we had something like that here in Canada.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote