Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question The "click"

Managed to read a couple of chapters of "Thin for Life"last night. Nice to know the long term maintainers Anne Fletcher interviewed seem to be giving the same advice as the people here .

Interesting idea about the "click" in the brain that tells you you're really ready to keep the weight off. Oprah refers to it as the "aha moment". Basically a shift in attitude that allows us to change our lifeview/style permanently.

I've had the "click" it with all three things I've wrestled with in my lifetime. Cigarettes, booze, and now overeating.

How about everyone else?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Yes, I definitely had it. I've tried to describe it at 3 Fat Chicks several times. It was immediate and electric; I knew what to do, more or less how to do it and that it would work. At other times in my life, I had felt surges of motivation, but it really did feel different.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Yes, I've had it too. Not as immediate as Glory, but definitely there.

BTW, Dagmar, you do know that there are discussion threads for each chapter in the library portion of maintainers, right?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I most definitely had it. Kind of hard to describe. I finally knew/figured out that if I didn't want to be fat that I didn't HAVE to be. In fact I was certain that I would definitely get the weight off and keep it off. I mean there was no doubt in my mind. It was an amazing feeling. I knew the end of my misery was in sight and I was thoroughly excited. I realized that I had held the key the whole time. It was always in my hands. Will always be in fact. Great moment really. Kinda sounds spooky when I stop to think about it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-25-2008 at 03:51 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Yes, I've had it too. Not as immediate as Glory, but definitely there.

BTW, Dagmar, you do know that there are discussion threads for each chapter in the library portion of maintainers, right?
I know about the discussion threads - thanks! I don't know that anyone will read my opinion about this book posted so long after it came out but I will definitely read the threads jsut to see what other people's reactions to the book were.

I was just using the book as an illustration of an explanation of the "click" - I'm having a hard time putting it into my own words.

Dagmar
Old 10-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, I didn't mean you should be posting there - only wanted to be sure you knew that you could read what others had said. Kind of hard to get the tone of a conversation right with the written word sometimes, eh?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #7  

Wink I'm so old in some ways - sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Oh, I didn't mean you should be posting there - only wanted to be sure you knew that you could read what others had said. Kind of hard to get the tone of a conversation right with the written word sometimes, eh?
I used to read a lot (still trying now ) and I really admire those writers who can just suck you right into their writing.
Most of our face-to-face communication is about 90% non-verbal so expressing yourself well with just the written word is an art. I hope it's not a dying art.

I feel so old sometimes when I suggest to people that they could read a book or a magazine when they say they're bored. It appears most people can't go anywhere these days without their camera phone, blackberry, i pod etc.

Heck, I am old . I don't own any of those things and I don't really miss them. The cell comes in really handy about 4 times a year (I have one in my car for emergencies) and people are still shocked to find out I pay $10 per month and get a coupon from my local variety store to do so.

But everyone under 25 is living out their every waking moment on the net these days. I can't imagine wanting an electronic record of every thought and utterance I made when I was in my 20's. Let alone video of me at parties, mooning passersby, etc. - just kidding, I was an exemplary young adult .

I just proved your point about the tone of a conversation. Anyone just looking into this forum would not get that I was being sarcastic in that last phrase. No writing prizes for me

Dagmar (too chatty today)
Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I feel so old sometimes when I suggest to people that they could read a book or a magazine when they say they're bored. It appears most people can't go anywhere these days without their camera phone, blackberry, i pod etc.

Heck, I am old . I don't own any of those things and I don't really miss them.
Dagmar. I too am old - 63 - but I have an MP3 player which is use 99% to listen to audiobooks, plus a 1gb iPod nano which has music for the gym. I also listen to audiobooks in the car most of the time. But I LOVE to read, and in addition to those I'm listening to, I usually have 1 or 2 printed books I'm working on. (To feed this habit, I work as a Library Director where I get to indulge my need to purchase books as well as have soooo many to choose from to read.) I do have a camera phone (work provided) but I have no idea how to take a photo.

But I agree. So many people cannot fathom "dead air time" where they're not plugged into anything. I can't do anything requiring any concentration with something playing in my ear. (I can deal with background noise as it doesn't grab my attention), and I think that there are times you just need to stop and listen to what's going on in your own head. How else do you form opinions or make plans or goals if you don't have thinking time to digest all you've heard and read? I worry about the next generation - especially as they're the ones who'll be caring for me in my nursing home in another 25 years or so!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #9  

At least the next generation, looking after us in the nursing home, will be able to plug us in and out of all sorts of devices . We will be well entertained there!

Dagmar
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

I sort of had a click. One day I took a look around and the rest of my life, and kind of said to myself, "Self, I you can do all of these things, you can change your lifestyle and live better." So I set a date that would improve my odds of success (over a vacation from work) and did it.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I definitely experienced the "click". Before actually losing my weight, I tried making several half-hearted attempts. I tried the salad diet. I tried jogging every day, but that only lasted a couple weeks. I tried the Fat Smash Diet. I halfway tried Atkins. Then, I realized the only way I could lose my weight was by following my own plan. I started riding my bike every day to work (10 miles each way), told everyone at my job that I was going to lose weight and "get hot" again (I pitifully showed them all pictures of me in my thin days when I did modeling), told my friends I was finally going to get back to my "normal size" and... and... and I joined this forum!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote