Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Julie~I think he's just not liking any types of sugar or sweetener and that's why those foods are not allowed--at least for the first few weeks.
OK . I don't think anybody much likes sugars these days . But mostly, I was referring to the idea that carbs are "denser" calories.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I think I can manage the no grains for the few weeks of phase 1, after that, he does allow some grains, but it appears that pasta is out of the plan (unless I'm confident enough to try shiritaki tofu noodles).

sznn~only 5 pounds, I hope I have better results, but I think the overall thoughts on this plan is not just to lose weight, but to get your cholesterol in order as well.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #33  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I think I can manage the no grains for the few weeks of phase 1, after that, he does allow some grains, but it appears that pasta is out of the plan (unless I'm confident enough to try shiritaki tofu noodles).
I've heard mixed reviews on the shirataki noodles, but plan to try them if I ever find them. I understand there's some that are only yam, and some yam and tofu. I did buy some multigrain pasta (I thought wholegrain, but I'll have to double check) at TJ, but haven't tried them yet.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on the shirataki noodles, but plan to try them if I ever find them. I understand there's some that are only yam, and some yam and tofu. I did buy some multigrain pasta (I thought wholegrain, but I'll have to double check) at TJ, but haven't tried them yet.

Good luck.
I understand when you try the shiritake noodles, you have to prepare them carefully. Rinse them a lot before you cook them, and then again after you cook them (otherwise they're slimy and fishy smelling). After the final rinse, you reheat them in a dry pan or they'll get slimy all over again.

I still don't understand why whole wheat pasta would be bad. The only "bread" that is allowed back in is whole wheat tortillas. I think brown rice is allowed back in, so I would assume rice noodles would be okay? I guess I'll wing it!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Those shiritaki noodles almost pass as pasta...but the texture is a little weird.
I like them though.

On the Dr. Gundry Plan - I followed it to a 'T' for 2 solid weeks and then for 3 or so more weeks @ about 80%.
I was just disappointed that I didn't see a bigger difference in the scale. Also he claims that you will feel healthier and have more energy.
I just felt a bit weak and couldn't go for a decent run because my blood sugar was lacking carbs.
For giving up all that really adore in the food world - I just didn't seem worth it for me.
I am going to head back to simply counting calories and keeping the carbs to a bare minimum.

I am finding most things that worked before - are having little affect on making a dent on this 15 or so lbs.
I really wish I had seriously put the brakes on before I had regained this weight.
But no looking backward - only forward, except hopefully to learn from my past mistakes.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #36  

I can't believe how well I'm doing this week, food wise anyway. It almost doesn't seem possible. I don't know if it is the fact that I'm nearly too busy to eat, or that I gave myself a strong talking to and wrote up a weight loss manifesto that is similar to the one that started me on the "big loss."

DD is acting potty trained now. DS is sleeping through maybe half the nights. I'm getting paid again. Things are looking up.

Did you read that LisaMarie?? Things start looking up, just when you think you've reached the end.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #37  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

It's been another semi-hectic week for me, but things are calming down a little bit. I've just been totally sapped of energy, despite making a concerted effort to get 8 hours of sleep the last few nights (disclaimer: I realize I lead an extremely pampered sleep life compared to the moms out there!). This morning when my alarm went off I only hit snooze once instead of 3 times, the phone company finally hooked up my phone (supposed to do it last Friday), BF put up my mailbox so I can get mail, and I found my bank deposit slips. I'm slowly making progress.

I'm sort of frustrated with my workout routine. About 2 months ago I finished NRLW and went to a 5 day split strength training routine: chest, legs heavy, back, shoulders, legs, with abs thrown in about twice a week. My upper body mass has increased (this looks funny with my flabby belly) and I just look way too over-muscled for my taste. I also added the extra weight training days at the expense of cardio, instead of in addition as I intended. I'd like to stop building muscle, maybe even reduce my muscle size in my arms a bit. Back to the drawing board. I guess I need to decrease weight, increase reps... perhaps the weightlifting forum is where I need to be. *sigh*

Anne, you do sound way too busy to eat. Glad that DD is "acting" potty trained and DS is sleeping well. How does he like day care? Have you been able to swim or bike more? (Not that you have much time for it!)

Allison, I know you already eat very healthfully and work out a bunch - I wonder how much more you can do on your own to lower your cholesterol. I will have a "cooking day" sometimes on the weekend and make up a bunch of my own meals, pop them in the freezer in individual portions, like homemade "lean cuisines" without so much stuff you can't pronounce. I think I tried the shirataki noodles once and didn't think they were worth it, expense-wise, compared to just eating whole wheat or high protein pasta in moderation. I think the texture was a little off, however, they weren't bad. On the Hungry Girl website if you search for the noodles she has a lot of tips on how to prepare them.

LisaMarie, did the doctor get the baby's results back? I'm glad to hear he's gaining weight and you were able to get some sleep.

I love grains. Too much. At least I like whole grains a whole lot (ha, ha, weak joke).

Have a great day all.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #38  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, It's still cool and wet here. GD played soccer last evening and there was a huge mud puddle in front of the goal. kids had lots of fun and we scraped mud off cleats last night. I'm washing uniforms right now. I'll try to explain the mud stains when mom and dad get home. Bright side, Mom and dad are coming home in the morning. I babysit (I hate to call it that) with the kids all the time, but this is the first time I've had them 24/7 for a full week. God bless you mom's that do it all the time and still find time to eat right and exercise. I've done neither this week. I guess maybe that's why young people have kids? And I'm sleep deprived too. My GD has asthma and i can't sleep while she's here. Usually it's just for the weekend for one night maybe. So not sleeping a lot is no big deal. Not sleeping for a whole week is a BIG deal!

I don't know enough about the no grain diet to even comment, but I tend to doubt any diet that is that restrictive. I've been on so many diets that told me to eat this and not eat that, and they just never worked, or I couldn't maintain them for any lenght of time. I finally found that eating healthy was the only way I could "diet" for any length of time. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
I can't believe how well I'm doing this week, food wise anyway.
DD is acting potty trained now. DS is sleeping through maybe half the nights. I'm getting paid again. Things are looking up.
I bet the additional/better sleep is a big part of it!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #40  

sznn~thanks again for your comments on the diet. I'll let you know how I do on it. I plan to start this weekend, for the most part. I have a hard time not eating some of the fresh fruits I already have on hand.

Megan~I agree--ww pasta in moderation can't be all that bad. I'll have to go back to the book and find the passage where this doctor claims that it is grains that have caused health problems. I don't have the book here with me at work, though.

DH is golfing today, so that means no lunch out today, but that's probably good news! The scale was down 1/2 a pound this morning, as it usually is on Fridays, but with the restaurant lunch, it usually shoots right back up, so I'm hoping that tomorrow I'm the same.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #41  
Meg

Happy Friday afternoon! It's almost the weekend. But I don't think it's going to be an exciting one around here ... poor DH has literally lived in the office since last Saturday night due to the financial crisis. He's made it home for a few hours in his own bed twice, but otherwise it's been the couch in the office and me bringing him supplies.

We were invited to the black-tie Symphony Gala tonight, always a fun time to put on tuxes and fancy clothes and sip champagne. But obviously we had to cancel and if DH makes it home at all, he'll only want to sleep. We have tickets to another concert on Sunday evening and I'm crossing my fingers that we can make it to that one.

Knee rehab is going well and my legs are strong and range of motion good. My big problem turns out to be that I can't fully straighten either leg. Who would have thunk it? Apparently it's from years of walking around with arthritic knees that made me slightly bend my legs to take the pressure off the painful knees. The result is a flexion contraction of the muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and a permanent bend in my knees. Everyone sees it but me, of course! So I'm learning to walk all over again in PT. The straightening/stretching exercises are really uncomfortable but it will be worth it in the end. Attila the PT has me exercising three times a day now. The good news is that I'm up to 30 minutes on the bike and doing a little more every day.

Other than exercising, I'm really getting along well, doing stairs, cleaning, laundry, driving, cooking etc. Recovery is actually coming along a lot better than I expected and I totally believe that every minute in the gym before surgery has paid off in a big way.

I've had a chance to do a lot of reading and want to recommend Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp, by Stephanie Klein, a memoir of the summers she spent at fat camp as a overweight teenager in New York. It's hysterically funny and will give you a blast from the late 80s/early 90s past. But beyond the humor, she touches on the serious issues of growing up overweight, parental pressure to lose weight, and dealing with her disordered relationships with food when she becomes pregnant with twins as an adult. Highly recommended!

Have a wonderful weekend, all, and hopefully none of you are caught up in the financial services mess (except for Mel, and here's a for her).
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #42  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Meg, glad to hear your recovery is going well! Could you go to the Sunday evening concert on your own or with a friend if your DH is working?

The financial mess is mostly affecting me in terms of DH being worried about losing everything and being afraid to spend money on anything. OTOH, now I don't feel too bad about having a lot of my money in a savings account because I hadn't gotten around to investing it.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #43  
Meg

Savings accounts are looking like pretty smart investments right about now.

Jessica, I wanted to tell you (because I know you'll appreciate it) that I just got the results back from my latest TSH and I'm hypo again (8.13). I knew it!! I've been ridiculously cold, like wearing heavy socks and polar fleece hoodies to bed (DH thinks I'm nuts). Thankfully I've only gained my three mystery pounds since surgery and not more. So it's back to tweaking the dose and retesting in six weeks. This gets pretty old, doesn't it?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #44  

Meg~3 pounds?!? It's probably just metal!!

Seriously, this financial stuff is horrible. I've lost countless $$s in my 401k and smaller amounts in my stocks and brokerage account. I thank my stars for my CDs--they at least make a little more interest than a regular savings account!
Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question caffeine and hunger

My DH thinks he's starving at night because of his caffeine habit. He thinks a lot before ever making any announcements regarding lifestyle changes so this is a pretty big deal.

He feels that, once he stops drinking caffeine for the day, he starts to get hungry . His body is craving the caffeine and is consuming other things to try to right its blood sugar levels.

I thought about this for awihle and realized it's true for me too. The afternoon crash is mainly about coming down from the caffeine. It, being a stimulant , acts as a bit of an appetite suppressant for me so there's that too. Now the only problem is quitting. We may kill each other before the caffeine gets us

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote