Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Allison, like Bargoo, I've been told that my high cholesterol is hereditary. Even with diet and exercise, and having the lowest in my family, it was still too high. I've been on meds for about 10 years, and it's nice and low now.

I didn't sleep much more than the new moms last night - who knows why. I'm like a zombie right now (7:30 pm) and I could fall asleep here at the comptuer - which is why I'm not watching TV I forced myself to stay awake all day, but you can bet I'll be asleep before 10. I'm not even hungry either. I've not eaten much today, and unfortunately no fruit or veggies either.

Our weekend was fun. We ended up going out both nights, which is unusal. We're luck to go out about once every 6 weeks or so. DH left yesterday afternoon for a "last gasp of summer" camping trip. Me and the cats are hanging out having a little "girl time"
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default Sleepless in . . .

. . .Toronto too. I guess it's part excitement , part anxiety . I've been waking up around 2:30 - 3:30 a.m. every morning for the past little while. Not unusual for me (I have a sleep disorder) but it's making me resort to the TV and munching in the evening. Not good!

I have to go for an ultrasound, ordered by my new doctor, to make sure my old doctor's prescribing error hasn't resulted in my having uterine cancer . At least I got an appointment right away and won't have to worry about this during my vacation. I'm sure everything will be fine but it's just one more thing on the pile before I go away.

I'm still all stoked for that but a lot of my clients are cancelling walks, making me a bit anxious about money. I wasn't intending on going nuts in NYC anyway but now I definitely won't do anything except window shopping.

I generally don't do much shopping there anyway. Just walk and walk and gawk and gawk. I love NY! So much to see and do.

Have a great day everyone!

Dagmar but
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Good luck with your ultrasound, lt's good your new doctor is taking precautions. Have a great time in NY and don't let the peanut butter doughnuts get you.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #19  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, It's still damp here, and grey. I thought we would have sun for a while longer, at least. I haven't had time to exercise this week, and I miss it. We have the "grands" for a week and they take every waking moment! I know I juggled this when I was younger, but I guess I'm out of practice. My eating hasn't been great either. They are both pickey eaters and i'm been making meals for them, and eating that too. Too lazy to make two different meals. Oh, well, it's only a week.

Jessica, I'm going to redicate myself to eating better too. Having a distraction is no reason to not eat well.

Lisa, Eventually the baby will sleep, and you can sleep. I still remember the first night my son slept through the night. I woke up with a start and rushed into his room. I was sure something had happened to him!

Allison, Sometimes high cholesterol is due to heredity. Mine was somewhat high and the doctor wanted to put me on medication also. My old doctor wasn't concerned, since my high to low ratio was so good, but with this new doctor, it's all in the numbers. That was one of the reasons I lost weight. It's down to an acceptable leavel now. My husbands family has a history of high cholesterol and it doesn't come down below 300 with anything except medication. And they are all very thin. One is a vegiterian.

Mitchelle, I get MAD when my husband brings home fattening food for "him" that I know he doesn't eat. Like butter pecan ice cream, which he has never taken a bite of in his life, and is my favorite! And I let him know! I need help, not distraction. Hope your doggie is feeling ok.

Tammy, Glad to hear that the scale is moving in the right direction again.

Pat, I have a history of not sleeping well. Unlike you, it makes me want to eat! Hope you sleep better tonight.

Dagmar, Sorry to hear that you had medical problems. Hope everything goes well with the unltra sound. And enjoy that trip to NY! And watch out for the dreaded PBdonut!!! I hear it's dangerous!!

make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone!

Michelle~wow--what a weekend!

re: cholesterol--I know it is probably hereditary. I'll let you all know what my doctor says this afternoon.

I went home from work sick yesterday. This cold, which I thought was totally gone on Sunday, came back with a vengeance and I was so not feeling good yesterday. No cold or allergy medication seemed to do any good and my sinuses just ached. I couldn't even LOOK down without my nose running, so making dinner wasn't going to happen. Frozen pizza. ick. At least they were thin crust and not too much cheese or sausage (one was a chicken pesto that wasn't too bad). Anyway, I got a good night sleep and feel somewhat better today. Not so much a runny nose, but my sinuses still hurt like the dickens.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

I was in bed by 10 last night, and asleep by 10:05! I feel sooooo much better today. Now if the sun would come out.....

Not much going on here - work, work and more work. Oh well, it keeps food on the table, etc.

Dagmar - hope your ultrasound goes well. And have fun in NYC!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 AM   #22  

Height: 5'7"

Well, my eating has been on track this week, nearly perfect in fact, because I have absolutely no time to do anything! Work, commute, pump, prep dinner, play with kids, clean up, pack lunch, prep for work/school, and usually about 30 min of exercise. Yesterday, I had 7 bags to lug in from the car, lunch bag, purse, breastpump, DD's backpack, DS's coldbag (for breastmilk), swim/gym bag, and a bag of mail. Then I had to go back for the trash.

But, I am enjoying being back in the land of adults again. Mostly.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #23  

Good morning everyone. I got my cholesterol test results back. The news is mixed but mostly good. The normal tests (total cholesterol, LDL, HDL and triglycerides) are all within normal limits (although they could be better). The advanced cardiac markers are really mixed. Some are good, some are borderline and three are at risk. Of the three at risk markers, two are particularly bad--Lipoprotein(a) and Fibrinogen. Basically these are hereditary and are a good indication that I will suffer some sort of cardiac trouble in my lifetime unless I can get them down.

My doctor sat with me for 45 minutes explaining all the tests and markers and what he wants me to do about it. In a nutshell this is it:
1--lose 15 pounds
2--rethink Dr. Gundry's diet (basically low carb)
3--increase my Omega 3 from 1 to 3 pills per day
4--take a CoQ10 supplement starting with 50 mg per day and eventually increase to 150 if I see no side effects
5--take a niacin supplement (but don't start that until I've been on the CoQ10 for a few weeks--need to be aware of any possible side effects)
6--increase my B6, B12 and folic acid supplements
7--make sure my regular vitamin contains chromium, selenium and magnesium (it does)
8--continue with my exercise (of course!)

So, I bought the supplements and started the CoQ10 and will start the niacin in a few weeks. I brought the diet book to work with me to re-evaluate it and start planning my menu and shopping list for the next few weeks.

So, in the book (Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution) he states that the Lipoprotein(a) is "the very worst cholesterol." Normal is 30 and mine is 110. Apparently, those of northern Europe descent are particularly prone to this and he explains it this way: nature intends for humans to reproduce and then die. Northern Europeans were deficient in Vitamin C and tended to get scurvy and die before they were able to reproduce, so their bodies started to produce Lp(a) to patch up the scurvy problem in order for humans to reproduce and it worked. However, after reproduction the body still produces Lp(a) and it causes heart disease. Well, nature didn't care--we are done, so just die, but in reality, humans want to live longer, so we have to do something to lower the Lp(a) and the way to do that is to take CoQ10 and niacin.

The thing in the book that I just can't get my head around is this: he claims that the American Heart Associations endorsement of oats in helping to reduce cholesterol is not based on research but was given because they were paid to endorse it (but he doesn't say who paid for it). He says that humans began eating grains when other food was scarce and it did help keep humans from starvation. He says now, though, that grains and legumes are too dense in calories, much of the calories are from sugars, and that we should consume them with extreme caution. He points out that South Beach Phase 1, Atkins and Sugar-Busters diets all keep grains and legumes out and that is why they are successful.

Excess fibrinogen causes clotting (aka stroke), so that is important to lower, however as I understand, there is nothing that you can do to specifically lower this--lowering everything else should in turn lower the fibrinogen.

So anyway, I'll be studying the book more and will do my best to get my cardiac markers back to a normal place. He wants me retested in 6 months.

Last edited by alinnell; 09-17-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Allison,
Thank you for the cholesterol education-- very interesting.
I am impressed that your doctor took so much time with you to explain your results and what you should be doing.
However, at your height, wouldn't you be underweight if you lost 15 pounds?
I am always suspicious of most "diets", etc. It seem like every book makes perfect sense when you read it, but they can't all be right, can they?!
I guess in your case it makes sense to try the diet and retest in 6 months to see if there is improvement.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
He says now, though, that grains and legumes are too dense in calories, much of the calories are from sugars, and that we should consume them with extreme caution.
Odd, as carbs and protein have the same calories per gram.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #26  

Michelle~no 15 pounds is good for me. That will take me to about 135-138 pounds which would be a BMI of 20-21. Right now I'm around 23 or 24. I was weighing 139 for several months and it's a good weight for me.

Julie~I think he's just not liking any types of sugar or sweetener and that's why those foods are not allowed--at least for the first few weeks.

Okay, I've read more of the book. It's a LOT like South Beach with the different phases. I think it is totally do-able. The first 2-3 weeks are really strict on no grains, no fruits, but lots of vegetables. After the first few weeks you can incorporate grains and legumes and fruits (with a few that remain forbidden). I'll just have to rethink my current menus (especially lunch--I tend to take the easy route with Lean Cuisines and most of those will not be allowed).

Last edited by alinnell; 09-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Allison, that diet terrifies me. I know it's probably good in the long run, but I could never get through cutting out all that stuff! I'm a wimp about depriving myself of anything, even when I really should do it!!!

I finally got a little sleep last night -- woohoo! The baby slept in his car seat from 1:45 to 6:30. I couldn't believe it! Of course, he had a rough day. We went to the pediatrician because of his dark green poop (sorry, gross, I know) and the dr found a little blood in his stool. Ack! It could be a stomach bug, a milk allergy (I've been eating cheese but not drinking milk), or salmonella. Salmonella!! So scary. So I had to get a fresh poop sample in a little bottle for the dr, but I didn't want to drive all the way home and bring it the next day. I hung out at my husband's grandmother's house all day to wait for him to poop (and I got a 2 hour nap there!) It was so hard collecting his poop with that tiny little spoon! I had it all over me. Ah, motherhood... Anyway, my MIL is taking the sample over for me today and they'll test it for salmonella. I'm terrified that the baby is really sick, but he seems to be thriving. He gained 13 ounces in the last 9 days! He's in the 60th percentile for weight now, apparently, and most of the time he seems content and smiles and all that (except his fussiness at night).

Ok, all I do here lately is ramble about my baby. I'm sorry!! Now that I've had a little sleep I almost (ALMOST) feel like I can start thinking about my weight again... That could change after my next sleepless night.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Good Morning All,

Allison - I recently read the Dr. Gundry book and followed his plan.
I was diligent for almost a month.
Lost maybe 5lb (rather disappointing) but have slipped off the 'no grain' wagon lately.
I'm not sure a life w/o grains is for me.
I hope you have better success than I did on his plan.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #29  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Count me on the list of people who couldn't go without grains . . . But then again, I have never attempted anything remotely low-carb because all my staple foods are carbs. I'm still averaging about 70% carb, 15% fat, 15% protein. I can't even think of anything I would be willing to eat for breakfast that is not a carb. I mean, I like bacon and eggs well enough, but I couldn't eat JUST that for breakfast, without toast or cereal or something.

I've been relatively OP this week. A couple slip-ups here and there but nothing too major, plus I've been getting my exercise for the most part.

Hi everyone!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #30  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

This morning I did the happy dance after I got off the scale. I'm down another 5 pound since the last time I posted. Just 8 more to go to goal. With 3 more off, I'll be able to wear my skinny jeans again. Just in time for cooler weather.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote