Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Angry This is really irritating me - please tell me it will go away.

I posted a blip about this yesterday in another thread and it bugged me all night. Don't know if this should have gone in General Chatter but I'm sort of hoping you marvelous Maintainers might be able to give me some insight.

I am NOT at goal, I am NOT in the best physical shape I could be so why have I all of a sudden turned into such a bleeping prima donna?!?

What I posted yesterday was how I now positively gush at the grocery store. DH and I shop together so, the whole time we're unloading the cart at the checkout, I just ooze self righteousness and comment (loudly, mind you) to DH about how yummy this fresh thing is going to be, or what a great price I found on that orgainic thing.

Adding to that, I now have to make a concentrated effort to reply with a simple "no thank you" when offered something I no longer eat. The little snot in me wants so badly to wrinkle up my nose and say "Eeeewww! Why would I want to eat THAT!"

I've never, ever in my life been an attention seeker and I've always found this sort of behavior in others to be supremely irritating so where in the heck is this coming from? Yes, I do think I have every right to be proud of what I've accomplished so far, but I DO NOT think I have the right to sort of lord over other people because of it. So far, I've been able to curb my mouth well enough that I don't think I've hurt anyone's feelings or totally alienated anybody but I'm really scared it's only a matter of time.

Did any of you ever go through an "I'm so speeeccial" phase? I really want to be able to enjoy my new found confidence without having to watch myself every second to keep from turning into one of "those" people that I've always rolled my eyes at.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #2  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

I am definitely like that with my dbf and with my roommate who is a registered dietician, but with everyone else it is more of the opposite-- I want to appear as normal as possible and am scared of being pegged as some sort of healthy-eating-nut (though I am one, I guess!)

So I do the weirdest things to pretend that I eat the same junkfood as everyone else. At work parties I'll take a piece of cake and smush it around a bit with my fork to make it look like I've been eating it. I'll take drinks that are offered to me and leave them on a table. At restaurants I'll say I'm not really hungry to justify just getting soup or an appetizer. I pretend that I "LOVE (a certain food) but am just not in the mood for it" etc.
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it will pass. But I think it's normal when making a big change for it to be so up front and center in your thoughts all the time, and to want to talk about it. It's just transitional.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

yoyo~you prima donna, you! I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at your post. While I certainly understand exactly what you're talking about, I don't know if I can offer you help. My only thought is "keep your mouth shut!" I think these thoughts, too, and frankly only open my mouth in the privacy of my own home when I tell the story to my DH. I don't know if I'd be bold enough to say it out loud to anyone else (but I'm kind of shy that way). Will this phase go away? I don't know. Are you special? Yes, but you don't have to act special. You're doing fine and you have every right to flaunt what you've done! Just try not to comment too loudly from here on out. Mind you, comments on what great finds you found or what you plan on making with this or that are perfectly GOOD comments and you should continue with those conversations. There was a thread somewhere about comments people made about other people's purchases--those are the kinds of comments you need to keep zipped up.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Another thing that helps me is to remember how many things I've tried, thought were great, and later was not so big on, or modified and adjusted. I think if something has worked for you over a long period of time, sharing your opinion has a lot more weight and can't really be seen as prima donna-ish (well, it could be if someone wanted to be that way, but YKWIM). I also sometimes phrase things more like, this is something I'm trying, instead of this is the way you should do it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyodieterinvegas View Post
Did any of you ever go through an "I'm so speeeccial" phase? I really want to be able to enjoy my new found confidence without having to watch myself every second to keep from turning into one of "those" people that I've always rolled my eyes at.
Ha, I'll let you know when I get out of that phase!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

I have to say I feel a little proud of myself when i pass up something I know i shouldn't have. When there is candy or cake or donuts at work, and I say "no, thank you" I feel really good about it. I don't really put it down. But I have been know to go into the bathroom and spit out something that wasn't worth the calories.

I don't think you're feeling "i'm so special" YoYo, I think you're just proud of yourself for being able to say no and make good choices.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I have a hard time not judging my husband's food, but I keep my mouth shut about it because I used to eat the same stuff in the past. But inside I'm judging, judging, judging!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
My only thought is "keep your mouth shut!"
I'm going to write that on a sticky and paste it to the inside of my glasses

I do worry so much that one of these days this mouth of mine is going to take off on it's own and say something hurtful to someone ~ with the best of intentions mind you I guess as long as I never forget where I started and how other people's "well meaning" comments to me used to make me feel, and make sure that I keep in mind that that shopping cart full of Hamburger Helper, Tater Tots, and Chip's Ahoy used to be my fiercely defended choice, I have a shot of keeping the muzzle in place. Thanks for bolstering my resolve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Ha, I'll let you know when I get out of that phase!
Oh Glory! In my book you are on a pedestal and should never climb down! The first time I tripped over 3FC (I googled something or other and ended up here) I popped into your success story, was inspired, and have been here ever since. You are not in a phase - you are, and ever will be sooooo special!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Guilty. I don't necessarily equate it to a character flaw, but I do often "survey" the carts around me at the grocery store.

Now, I know a couple who are around my and my DH's age (26-30) and they have a baby that's around 1 year old. Their fridge and pantry looks like what I might have stocked it with if I was, oh say, in the 4th grade. Every snack cake you can imagine, white bread, iceburg lettuce, and the most colorful collection of cereals you can imagine. I know most people have some of those things, but there's usually stuff to balance it out, but not in thier house.

I do "click my tongue" a little because my husband and I think very differently than them. We want to be as healthy and clean eating as possible because we don't want our future kids to grow up like that. Their child has been wracked with stomach issues and has colds constantly and I can't help but wonder about the trickle-down effect?

Last edited by junebug41; 09-18-2008 at 01:59 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Reformed smoker syndrome?

I think we all go through it to one extent or other. I know when I'm at the grocery store I tend to watch other people's carts and a lot of times I'm thinking something along the lines of "wow ... that's how I used to eat". And then I feel bad and I want to say something to help them out but I know it wouldn't be welcomed. And then I put all my stuff on the belt (all veggies, lean meats, etc.) and I hope they notice.

I hope I've never been snotty about it, but factually I'm sure I have once in a while. I know I am more .. um ... vocal about my food choices when I'm around friends than around strangers.

I think you'll be fine, mostly because you recognize it. Most people who are truly obnoxious are often cluless that they're being jerks. You've got a head start in that you realize you need to rein it in before it gets out of hand!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I can't say I am COMPLETELY over that "I'm SPECIAL!" phase, honestly!

I try to keep those types of thoughts to myself. I never make comments on other people's food, BUT I will frequently turn down food offered to me and people always end up wondering why, SO I tell them honestly. My co-workers never knew me at my highest weight and most assumed me to be "naturally thin" so turning down food because it's "fattening" was something they found silly/funny. Almost all the friends I've made while living in Florida have not known any other version of me besides the "health guru" (I was very shy and reserved when overweight, didn't come out of my shell until I liked what I saw in the mirror), so they're used to all my health/fitness talk and even ask me for advice all the time regarding their bodies

We are just more enlightened. The average American diet is loaded with crap that we know better than to scarf down. I think you will always find yourself holding your tongue (and sometimes realizing things slipped out, too) BUT think of it this way: you are informed. You are one of the few who truly knows what is going into your body. You have a healthy body. Your chances of health problems have decreased, you have a better state of well being than you would otherwise, and you will most likely live a long, healthy life.

It's okay to look and make mental notes about how you can't believe Mr/Ms/Mrs so-and-so over there are buying all those snack cakes... just... like Allison said, keep your mouth shut
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Reformed smoker syndrome? .
Oh crud, that's my next *project* (it's looking like November now instead of January ). You mean I'm going to have to worry about all getting high and mighty over that too?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
I can't say I am COMPLETELY over that "I'm SPECIAL!" phase, honestly!

I try to keep those types of thoughts to myself.
It is comforting to know that a lot more (really nice) people do at least have the same thoughts - I was kind of thinking it was only the clueless boors. I guess the clueless boors are just the ones saying them out loud. I think if someone like you, Shane, who created such a spectacular bod can get past it, there is hope for me too. Thanks
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Awwwwww, thank you!

Like I said, though, I'm not completely past it I'm just past it enough to keep my mouth shut 90% of the time.

I have also noticed that people frequently comment on my food, especially men working the checkout at the grocery store. One said, "Oooo, big lunch!" today. I've heard in the past, "Are those things good?" (usually referring to something Lean Cuisine or South Beach Living) and "Healthy snack, huh? Coooool!" and "Oh, you're going to kill that bag of beef jerky all by yourself, EH EH?" --I'm not quite sure what makes men (and more than half the time, it IS MEN, not women) comment on my grocery choices, but I really don't care anymore.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
I have also noticed that people frequently comment on my food, especially men working the checkout at the grocery store. One said, "Oooo, big lunch!" today. I've heard in the past, "Are those things good?" (usually referring to something Lean Cuisine or South Beach Living) and "Healthy snack, huh? Coooool!" and "Oh, you're going to kill that bag of beef jerky all by yourself, EH EH?" --I'm not quite sure what makes men (and more than half the time, it IS MEN, not women) comment on my grocery choices, but I really don't care anymore.
Probably because men (bless their little pea brains) think they are being suave and we women, delicate little flowers that we are, become all aflutter when they approve of our choices

For real though - they probably want to hit on you but are petrified you'll reject them so they try to start a conversation on a "safe" subject, like your groceries. Like I said, bless their little pea brains