Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I don't know about all dogs not caring about the weather! When Chico and I first started running last summer, there was one morning that it was raining. I didn't care, but Chico kept looking back at me like I was crazy!!! Why I have Labradors who don't like to get wet makes no sense at all! But I agree that running in slippery conditions would be hazardous. I once had a pair of shoes that were obviously worn and I'd slip on wet pavement in the middle of the summer! Make sure you have good traction and don't run when there is a possibility of ice.

We also have a dog door so the dogs can come and go as they please. In 2006, I was walking both dogs daily for about 4-5 miles. When I started working, they didn't seem to care that we were no longer walking regularly--just once a week. Then I started running with the young dog. At first the older guy was a bit jealous, but now he doesn't even bother to get out of bed. He knows he's not going (he can't keep up--he's close to 15 years old).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #62  
Chuggin' along...

When I was dog sitting for ~5 months earlier this year, the dog was the finickiest dog I've ever met. She is about 15 years old, some kind of bishon/poodle mix (a pound puppy), and only about 10 lbs. If it was too hot, which for her was over, oh, 75 degrees, and I tried to take her for a walk, she literally would not go. She would walk a few feet from the steps, do her business, and if I tried to start walking down the street she would sit there and give me an "are you crazy lady?" look. She has lived in Florida all her life, but I would bet that if she ever saw snow she would do the same thing. She enjoys a climate-controlled existence.

My parents live in PA and have a lab/retriever mix. My mom walks him several miles each day, and he will not go to the bathroom unless it's a nice, long walk. So he gets his walks in the winter snow & ice, too. I second Allison's advice to wear good shoes for your wintertime & rain walks.

How much exercise a dog might want or need depends on the breed(s), too, so I would suggest doing a little research before you get your dog, so that you can make sure you can give it the kind of exercise it needs. And of course when you get your dog you must post pictures!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #63  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Shane, LOL at you drunk calling up people you hadn't talked to in years. Also, I think you had WAY more restraint than I would if someone told me to duct tape my waist. "how about we duct tape your mouth" would most likely have been my response. LOL.

My labs love to walk outside, but I admit to just letting them run in our yard when the weather is bad. It's not totally my laziness, it's more the fact that I get sick easy and stay that way too long. I have to be really careful.

Allison, my dogs love to play in water, but neither of them particularly like getting a bath.

I'm picking up the girls at 3PM to go to the gym again. I refuse to take them out to eat again. My plan today is 30 min's treadmill and 30 min's swimming laps. I'm still sore from yesterday so will wait til Saturday to do weights again.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #64  
Working My Way Back Down

Lily, you should rest at least a day before doing weights anyway (or more specifically, before exercising the same body parts). I had to laugh at all that your girls ate after going to the gym - talk about undoing things! Did they actually exercise much? I see some HS girls at our gym, and they do a little then strut around and visit..... And then there are the women who walk on the treadmill at about 2 mph and read their magazine. Sigh.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #65  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Pat - LOL about the teens at your gym! My gym has a lot of HS team sports do their practices there, so we get lots of jock groupies -- seriously, these girls will come into the gym wearing skimpy completely gym-inappropriate clothes, and flirt with the guys who are lifting weights. IMO, the WORST people at the gym are the ones who sit on the weight machines and talk on their cell phones!! It's like, if you wanted to talk on the phone, you didn't need to come to the gym, and if you're not using the machine get your butt off it so someone else can!

Thanks for the dog info everyone! I am so excited about getting a dog I keep thinking about it all the time even though we won't be getting one for a few months yet. I have done quite a lot of research about breeds but we are pretty set on adopting from a shelter or rescue so our choice will be limited.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Lily, I also laughed about the girls. Did you point out to them that there is NO WAY they burned as many calories exercising as they ate during that meal? This really is the problem for the inexperienced exerciser/dieter: exercising makes you HUNGRY.

We don't get jock groupies at my gym, but I've started doing my lifting in the afternoons rather than the mornings and there seem to be millions of HS boys buzzing around the weight section, taking up space and being annoying. They have a tendency to work out in groups of three, so you have to wait for 3 boys to do their 3 sets of whatever before you can get to the squat rack. And they never, ever seem to rerack their weights. One day I shall give them a talking to about that and it won't be pretty.

Jessica, I'm dying to get a second dog. I want a puppy!!! But we don't have a fenced in yard here (we use a run/tie-out thing for her when she needs to go outside) and we don't know how long we're going to be living here in WA and for how much longer we're going to be able to live in the same place (the exigencies of the academic job market). I have to wait a bit longer until we're more settled. OTOH, I want to get a second dog before our current dog gets too old and intolerant to put up with a puppy. It's a pickle! And FWIW, my dog doesn't much like walking in the rain, either. She'll do it, but it's not her favorite thing.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #67  

Fun dog thread. My lab/mix puppy apparently loves snow, especially drifts over his head. He looked almost white after this morning's play time. I took him out for a walk but the ice and his not very obedient style made it treacherous. I fell down and let me say the asphalt has gotten harder in the last ten years. Of course the 10 extra pounds of padding helped some :-P
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #68  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hi everybody feels good to be back on trackie again. I ate too much sugar, I felt like a junkie once I started I couldn't get enough, hence a couple extra LBS. Oh well I know with my discipline, those few extras will be a thing of the past soon enough now that I am back to squeaky clean eating.

Hey Night, way to be the rockstar, its a tough job but somebody has to do it and I guess it was your turn! I am older and wiser now, I stuck to grapefruit juice when bar hoping over the holidays, but I must confess I had a glass of wine New Years eve, (and just for the record, we call 1 bottle of wine a glass around here, and we drink it straight outta the bottle!) True story... Can you say wino? The cheaper the better when it comes to wine. Get this one.. I had friends that brought over a bottle of wine for us, since I was the hostest with the mostest for 18 of our friends. Anyways after about 4 bottles of wine were gone, I had to open the bottle they brought me. OMG, it was a cork kind, I said to myself holy crap, I drink the cheap twist off kind, I don't think I even have a wine opener to get this baby open, but I did, hubby had one on his survival knife thank goodness! Fancy smancy corks in wine bottles, my taste buds do not like dry wine (cough cough, eh gawds nasty nasty, give me the cheap fruity twist off type anyday, like wild vines or boones farm!
Regarding the comment about the duct tape, I woulda said you go ahead and try it and let me know how it works for ya! HOW RUDE, some peoples kids I tell ya!!!!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Today it is cold outside! For exercise I run. Most of the week on the treadmil while the older kids are at school and the younger kids are napping. But on Thurs and Sun I get to go OUTSIDE cuz my hubby is home! So I was excited to go out for my run. It was 22 deg, I have run in that before, but today there was some wind. I thought my ears were going to fall off they were so cold. (even under my hat!) So I did 3 outside and came in and finished 3 more inside. The funny thing is, Sun when I go outside again, it is supposed to be 50!

I went to the store today to get a pair of jeans. All the ones I have are to big now. I had no idea what size I was. I am happy to say I left wally world with a pair of size 6! And they have some room! I know that walmart is known for clothes that run big, but it still felt good to slip on a size 6!! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #70  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

JESSICA ~I am not speaking to you, since you came to California and didn't visit me...but if I was to answer your question as why my son in law gets kidnapper in my posts I would say to read from my past....http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112989
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #71  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

oh and JESSICA in case you don't go to General Chatter...this was up for Christmas...maybe this will explain.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129428
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #72  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Jessica - Adopting from a shelter is a pretty good idea IMHO. Notwithstanding the good deed in itself, 'ending up' with a dog that isn't pure-breed may be better. Depending on the mix, they tend to have more stamina (mine was a shepherd mix--German + Beauceron--and he was one sturdy and energetic boy with very few of the breeds' traditional weaknesses). So a dog like that might actually fit your needs, if I may say so, better than a pure-breed. (The day I can have a dog again, I will also adopt from a shelter.)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

I think I might be coming down with something... just a sore throat and a sniffle, though. No big deal. I think it's just the extreme fluctuation in temperature (from 72 to 22 in one day!)

I won't be eating on plan today because I'm VERY broke (rent tomorrow) and because there were Dunkin Donuts at work today and I couldn't resist My fat brain went, "ooooh! FREE FOOD!" and I grabbed a donut... then a half of another one.

Wendalyn - I love cheap wine, too! There was expensive high falootin' DRY wine at the party and I still drank a bottle of that anyway but I prefer the cheap sweet stuff, as well! Of course, among snooty high society types, I feel silly proclaiming my affinity for cheap wine, but it's just so... good. Mmmm. Wine coolers...

baffled and Jessica- yes! my fitness center has those annoying high school boys who work out in groups, too, in addition to annoying college boys who do the same. And I also see those high school and college girls who go to the gym just to walk around, talk on their cell phones, and flirt with the joick boys. And another thing that blows my mind is people who go in to work out for less than ten minutes and then decide they must have gotten a great workout.

also baffled, ever heard the saying "beer before liquor, never been sicker, liquor before beer, you're in the clear"? Maybe this applies to wine, too... wine before liquor, never been sicker, liquor before wine and you'll be fine I was a dumb-o and drank some of everything, which probably explains the WICKED hangover. Back in my "I go out every night, party, and get drunk" days, I KNEW better than to drink anything BUT beer after I drank beer.

and Jessica, I WISH my dog would run with me! I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I TRIED to take him on a run, but then he barked at me after 20 feet, then plopped... basically saying, "NO! Don't even THINK about trying that!"

Lily- Believe you me, that exact line crossed my mind and I am glad you vocalized it! ("well why don't you duct tape your MOUTH?") and I also cracked up hardcore at the story of the girls... are they overweight? If not... BOY do I envy teenage metabolisms! If I remember correctly, you said one of them was overweight but only a tiny bit and the other was pretty average.

Megan - I am even younger than you are but I still say "I guess I can't drink like I could a few years ago"... the paradox is that I was not even of legal drinking age back then! I just drank more often and was much more careful about the... erm... laws of drinking and my body than I was a few nights ago
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #74  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Hi everyone,

I spent 2.5 hrs. at the gym again yesterday. So much for letting my muscles rest. I had just planned on doing the treadmill and swimming, but ended up working out really hard. Once I got there, I just didn't want to stop. I learned how to use several other weight machines. I'm taking a break today and will work with a trainer on setting up a regular routine for me starting tomorrow. Maybe then I'll learn when to work each muscle group and not be killing myself working my whole body each time.

I swam laps for 30 min's yesterday. The older man in the lane with me was Very talkative and a bit creepy. He asked if he could know what time of day I will be at the gym so he can come at the same time. I said "it varies according to whatever time my HUSBAND and I feel like working out together". I tried to be nice , but I really wanted to say "leave me alone".

As for Lacy and Shelbey they really both did a very good workout yesterday. Shelbey is loving the elliptical and Lacy loves to do the recumbent bike. I did notice that when I cooked dinner last night they both ate much healthier and never made any complaints about my healthy meal. Shelbey even made the big salad without me saying a word. I am very much hoping they will decide on their own to eat healthier and try to get fit to go along with their new love for going to the gym. They both asked me if we could go again today but I told them we had to rest for a day.

Shane, I believe Shelbey is about 5'1 and weighs 166 lbs while Lacy is 5'8 and weighs 154 lbs. They aren't greatly overweight and are built totally different. Shelbey has larger hips and thighs and a smaller waist. Lacy has a large waist and slender hips and thighs. Shelbey wears size 12, while Lacy wears size 7. The way these girls "normally" ate, I think they must have very good metabolisms . Otherwise they would be Much bigger.

I do have to give the girls some credit. They both can lift more weight than I can. Which doesn't seem fair cause the last 2.5 yrs. I've worked my butt off with the walking, while they sat on their butts. I guess their 15 yr. old muscles are just naturally stronger than my 47 yr. old ones. LOL, but I intend to change this. I do have more endurance though for swimming laps.

I'm actually a little nervous about my appt. with the trainer tomorrow. I fear he'll think I'm the most out of shape person he has ever seen. I'm not worried he will think I'm fat, I'm just afraid I won't be able to do the workout he plans for me. The really sad thing is that yesterday on the arm machines I could only put 10 lbs. on them. My legs were a lot stronger and I was able to put 160 lbs. on the leg press machines and do 3 sets of 10 reps.

Needless to say, I'm a bit sore today. DH gave me a great massage with lots of lotion last night. That made the sore muscles worth it, LOL.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #75  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lily, don't worry about the trainer! They are professionals and are supposed to help design a workout that fits YOU, not force you to do a workout that fits THEM. I would definitely recommend telling your trainer about any medical issues you have too -- I remember you saying before your doc didn't want you to do crunches, so your trainer needs to know that.

As for the weights, well, when I do arm machines I take the pin out of the weight stack altogether, or else I can't move them. Don't feel bad about it -- it just means that you have a lot of improvement to look forward to! It is great that you're going to start weight training, because while walking is good for your cardiovascular health, it doesn't really build much muscle.

Gary - LOL at your posts! But you still didn't say why your daughter in law gets hearts...
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote