Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #46  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Pat - what does NRLFW stand for? Where are you going on vacation?

Megan - Yeah, I don't know what it is, but staying with my parents is just difficult. My dad likes to look over my shoulder all the time which I can't stand (who wants someone looking over their shoulder?), then he claims that I only say I don't want him looking over my shoulder because either (a) I have something to hide, or (b) I don't want to spend time with him. He also insists on picking fights with me about why I don't want a GPS for my car, and he and my sister never stop picking fights with each other.

Baffled - I can't resist See's. My mom gave us each a mini box of them at xmas (6 chocolates each). I ate them on the plane ride home!

I have been seeing all the diet ads too. Actually this time of year, I see more commercials for Bally's gym membership specials than anything else! Jenny Craig has been advertising a lot too. And, of course, all the magic weight loss pills, like that one which has a husband and wife who go on a diet together, and he loses all this weight, and she doesn't lose any, until she takes some magic pill.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #47  
Working My Way Back Down

Jessica, it's a new book New Rules of Lifting for Women. We are going to the Grand Canyon the second week in April on an Elderhostel tour. Here's the description:
Explore pristine and spectacular Grand Canyon, from the exotic turquoise waterfalls of Havasupai to the sparkling waters of Diamond Creek in Granite Gorge. This program for moderate to serious hikers is a unique opportunity to experience some of the most beautiful locales in Grand Canyon, from deep chasms with running streams and waterfalls to lofty rims with forever views. Hiking encompasses all levels of Grand Canyon, including the Colorado River and Granite Gorge in the canyon's depths and the remote village of Supai. We will focus on geology, ecology and Native American heritage. Daily hikes of 5-8 miles are partly cross-country and include some rugged terrain and sustained uphill grades. Elevations 1,500-6,000'

I'm very excited, but I need to be sure I am very aerobically fit, as we live at sea level, and the altitude can be a problem. We are hoping to visit either my stepsister or a friend who both live at altitutes over 4,000 ft for the week prior to the trip to begin acclimatizing.

Re: the diet ads, I have noticed that WW is shifting their ads more to the "we can help and offer support," rather than "here's our new diet." In fact the ad I've seen the most shows a sticker on grapefruit that says "Diets Don't Work." The ad that annoys me most is the Special K one where it says you can lose like 6 pounds just eating cereal 2x a day.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Pat, that sounds like a great holiday!

My NRLW arrived this morning!!! I'm very excited. I'm going to start reading it after dinner tonight. Hooray!

Megan, thanks for the slap! Jessica, we each got one of those big boxes of the Sees (mostly bordeaux--my faves) and I ate about a million of them yesterday. I literally sat there filling sick from eating so much sweet stuff and thought, ****, I'll have another. I felt quite ill by the time I went to bed. A just punishment for such stupidity. Fortunately, I have only 1 chocolate left and will be able to enjoy it in moderation tonight after dinner. Conversely, bf has eaten about 3 chocolates from his box, the virtuous swine.

Back to work!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good evening!

Meg, sorry you're still feeling ill. One thing I like about real trees is that my vacuum cleaner smells really good for a while after picking up the needles.

Pat, have you been on Elderhostel trips before? That one sounds fabulous! My sister went on a birdwatching one in No. Calif. last spring.

I have to kind of chuckle at the mention of parents, etc. We had our daughter and my DH's daughter for four days over Christmas, and I couldn't wait for my 24-year old DD to leave. She was driving me crazy! I wouldn't have minded my SD, who is 36, staying several more days. After reading about your parents, I do wonder what my DD is saying about me after our holiday together.

Baffled, isn't it hard to live with someone who can eat chocolate in moderation? How is that done?

I'm glad that Weight Watchers is advertising differently. WW really was something I needed during my weight loss journey. Although I still weigh-in monthly, I do my own thing now using Fitday, but I'm happy WW is around when I need some face-to-face support.

Hello to everyone, and welcome to Jelly!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #50  

Height: 5'7"

Just popping in to say Hi!!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #51  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
Gary~what a disappointing football game! Yes, USC won, but I just hate lopsided games like that.
WHAT??!!....How can you say that ALLISON?

I wish every game was USC ~ 100...other team 0

The only sounds sweeter in life than hearing FIGHT ON or CONQUEST played after a USC SCORE! are...

"Daddy I love you" ~ "I love you Pops" ~ "Uncle Gary I love you" and "Honey you're getting lucky tonight!"

I had a home exam by a nurse tonight for an insurance policy....seems I needed to buy another one from the kinapper son in law so the kids could pay rent.....so I don't have much time to post.

Did want to say the "FAMILY" stories remind me of my childhood!

A little TRUTH here...somehow I managed to go from 169 to 174 from the day before Christmas to this morning......

can anyone guess how THAT happened?

DENIAl....a beautiful thing....NOT!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #52  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I had my first workout at my gym today. I did 10 min's on treadmill, then 10 min's on Elliptical (their elliptical is WAY easier than mine), then I did several arm and leg machines and then I did 10 min's on the exercise bike and I finished up with 30 minutes of swimming laps. For my first visit , I think I overdid it. My thighs are already sore and so is my ribcage from some butterfly looking machine. LOL. Several of the machines I wasn't very familiar with, so I scheduled an appt. at 1PM Saturday to have the trainer to help me set up a routine and show me what to do. I just winged it today cause I had Lacy and Shelbey both with me. I went ahead and added the girls as part of my gym membership. They enjoyed going but were shocked to see that the ladies were walking around the dressing room nude. I took my clothes to the bathroom and changed and ended up dropping my gym pants in the commode. LOL, was very glad that I had worn different clothes to the gym cause it was 15 degrees here.

After our workout, the girls begged me to take them to eat. It was 3PM and we hadn't eaten since breakfast , so I relented. I ate baked fish, salad and spinach. Both girls ate fried shrimp, fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, macaroni and cheese, hot dinner rolls and 2 bowls of ice cream each. I can't see that them using a gym will help much with the way they eat. I kept my mouth shut, but it was aggravating to say the least.

I feel so darn good to be back on plan with eating right and exercising. Those holidays really had me really wondering if I could control myself and get back on track.

Meg, hope you feel better soon. I'll definitely finish my book.

Our weights at the gym today were Me 149 lbs., Lacy 154 lbs. and Shelbey 164 lbs. For now I'm gonna weigh weekly at the gym.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hey hey!

My New Year's was kind of disappointing... I had a great time at the same party last year, but this year, I discovered that my GF's brother's wife is a total... well... it starts with a B and rhymes with rich! She was incredibly condescending towards me, whereas last year she was sweet. I think she is jealous that I lost weight this year while she got fatter, whereas before I was FAT so I was a safe target. She was telling me that I should wrap my waist with duct tape to create a more hourglass-like structure when I already havea VERY flat stomach and SHE already has a SPARE TIRE! I was too tactful towards her... a part of me feels like I should have let her have it... but the other part of me does not believe in the eye for an eye theory.

I am FINALLY back on plan and HAPPY to be! I've never eaten so much greasy crap in my life as I did while at the GF's brother's house/party! They have NO food there whatsoever EXCEPT greasy, processed crap! On top of that, they ordered greasy Chinese food one day and greasy BBQ the next. Gross! And my appetite is incredibly uninhibited while intoxicated

I also don't think I am going to get drunk any time soon. See, I haven't been drunk for quite awhile - not tipsy for four months and not DRUNK since St. Patrick's Day. I was heavier than I am now both times. This time, I got pretty drunk the day BEFORE New Year's Eve and VERY drunk the day after. I drunk dialed everyone to say Happy New Year, and most were happy to hear from me... I think I contacted people who I have not talked to in years and that was kind of nice.

Unfortunately, I got a miserable two day hangover. The first day was not so bad - just mild nausea - but the SECOND... oh my GOSH, I don't even remember the last time I felt so miserable! My liver swelled up, which has never happened to me before. I used to go around saying I didn't get hangovers, because before this, I only got one once that just lasted a couple hours.

Getting drunk is overrated. I think I'm going to my next party stone cold sober with an energy drink. I'll laugh at the drunkies around me.

In other news, I'm fine now, and it's a COLD 22 degrees down here in supposedly sunny Florida! I still rode my bike to work, with a t-shirt, a jean jacket, a sweatshirt, a leather jacket, a hat, gloves, two pairs of socks, and semi-insulated shoes. BRRR! *shivers*

Despite all this, I did not gain a single pound! The weight loss powers that be must really love me or something...

Pat - I HATE that Special K Commercial, too! My GF almost wanted to try it , though, because she thought it would be easy weight loss Have fun on your vacation... I know you will!

Jelly, I know it is a little late, but !!!

Meg, feel better soon. 'Tis the season for colds and bugs...

Hello to everyone else... I hope ya'll had a good holiday... I'll be back to check the other posts

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 01-03-2008 at 08:01 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #54  
slow and steady

Pat - that trip sounds like a lot of fun!

Baff - Oh man, I know what you mean about eating more even though you already feel sick. I do that with chocolates too.

Sheila - LOL, I wonder if my parents were glad to be rid of me!

Anne - Hi!

Gary - I don't get it, why is your son-in-law a kidnapper and your daughter-in-law gets love hearts?

Lily - Sounds like you got a good workout! That's pretty funny about the pants. I've only ever seen people changing in the locker room or in the handicapped bathroom stall, the other stalls are way too tiny! Personally I change in the locker room, but I certainly don't parade around naked.

Shane - Congrats on not gaining!

Yesterday I was awake early, but today I just cannot wake up. All I want to do is crawl back into bed and be covered with warm blankets! Instead, I am at work. Time for some tea...
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #55  
Chuggin' along...

Brrrr! We left the inside faucets dripping last night, and the outdoor shower & hose outside the house. Good thing - the outdoor hose was frozen despite being left running. The shower, thankfully, was still dripping or we would have had some frozen pipes. My veggie garden looked pretty frosty underneath its plastic cover this morning, but we've got more freezing weather coming, so I'll wait to uncover it until Saturday and hope it's not done for. On the news they keep talking about how produce farmers in central Florida are panicking and trying to protect their crops from the freeze.

Shane, I'm also much more sensitive to alcohol now. In my heavier college days (a whole 3 1/2 years ago), I could drink a lot and just have a mild headache the next morning. Now I get drunk much faster, and have longer, more painful hangovers, and a lot more stomach problems/get sick after even a few drinks. I'm only 25 so I can't attribute it to "I guess I can't drink now like when I was a kid" quite yet. Oh well, better for me to drink less anyway.

Lily, ohhh, Lacy and Shelby. One day they'll understand. Hopefully.

Gary, I'm sure you'll be back to 169 in no time. You're always very good about reigning yourself in/making sure you get in your exercise.

Sheila, well, maybe it will comfort you that even if I bicker a little with my parents, there is no true animosity behind it. We generally have a loving relationship. It's just when you put 4 control freaks together in a house for over a week...

Pat, sounds like an awesome trip!

Oh yes, the Special K commercials rather annoy me. Anyone who all the sudden restricted their calories that much would lose weight! But is it a healthy weight loss? And the commercial Jessica talked about where the husband keeps losing weight and the woman can't until she takes the pill - I think it's funny on the one hand, but that the solution is a pill is aggravating.

I order my NRLW with a gift card a few days after Christmas, but it seems to have gotten caught up in the system and won't be here until Monday according to the UPS website. I can't wait for it to get here!

I'm at my desk for the day. That's fine with me - I don't want to go outside in the cold! I think I'll try to run at the gym this afternoon. It's too cold outside! Boy would I be in trouble if I still lived in the northeast.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It's hard to believe that Florida gets cold enough to freeze pipes, but it happens here every few years as well. It was a bit warmer here this morning on my run--mainly due to cloud cover. They say were in for several days of rain here in the Southland, but of course on THIS side of the mountain we'll be luck to see more than a short shower or two. We'll see. Sometimes in January we get really drenched (to the point of major street flooding).

It felt so good to get back out running this morning. I thought I was derailed for good after taking a couple sick days off. I guess my discipline is better than I thought. It was funny though--usually I wake up 20 minutes before my alarm so I get an extra early start. Since I've been "sleeping in" until 5:30, I didn't actually wake up until my alarm went off! So instead of a 4:20 run, I had a 4:50 run. Since the kids aren't in school, I can afford to sleep in a little. I wonder what life will be like when they're both gone? Do you think that in the next year or so I can actually get my DS to get his own breakfast (like DD is finally doing this year)? Probably not. He's starting to be a bit of a slacker--especially in the morning. DD was even complaining that he didn't get up until well after noon and she was stuck doing most of the chores yesterday. Oh! She cleaned her room! Totally amazing. Now if she'd do her closet.......
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #57  
slow and steady

OK, I have a question for those of you who are runners and/or have dogs. We're planning to get a dog this spring, after we get a fence installed in the backyard. The plan is that we will take the dog for a walk/jog in the morning and get a combo of walk for the dog and exercise for us (we are also planning on installing a dog door so the walk is more for the dog to exercise and check out the neighborhood than for doing its business). This plan seems fine for spring through fall, but I am wondering about winter! Right now all our sidewalks and streets are covered in snow and ice. How do you walk/run with your dog when you are afraid of slipping?

And speaking of spring and fences, does anyone have any recommendations about when we should get our fence installed and what we should look for in a fence company? Our homeowner's association says we aren't allowed to DIY it, and we have to have a professional, and there are restrictions on the kinds of fences we are allowed to have (we plan to get one of those black aluminum ones that looks like iron). We thought it made sense to wait until spring because of the snow and the ground being frozen.

You know, there are some good things about living in a neighborhood with a homeowner's association, like how our neighbors aren't allowed to put ugly things in their yards or park giant RVs in the middle of the street, and that we get a community pool, playground, and walking trails through the woods. On the other hand, it's kind of annoying that we have to have a surveyor come out to mark off the boundaries, follow arbitrary rules about fences, and get approval from them before we can have the fence put in (or any "large landscaping" for that matter).

Allison - Speaking of running, I jogged a bit last night at the gym and felt great! My knees seem to be improving, so if it's because of the new meds, and my kneeds get totally better, I am so running a 5k in the fall!

Megan - Wow, sounds like it sure was cold! I don't think we worry about freezing pipes around here until it's temps nearing zero or below though . . . at least we haven't done anything to prevent it and our temps are in the 20's and teens at night. We did winterize the sprinkler system and put all our hoses in the basement though.

I don't know if global warming is responsible or not, but I sure am glad that it's not as freezing in the winter as it has been in the past. Last year was pretty mild, I think we only got down to zero or below a couple days. This year so far is reasonable too although we haven't gotten to the worst of winter yet. DH tells me that when he was a kid there would often be days where you weren't supposed to go outside because you could get frostbite from being out for ten minutes. In any case the meteorologists are forecasting a "winter heat wave" for our area -- we're supposed to get up to 58 degrees Tuesday!! (For comparison, today is probably the coldest day so far this winter, current temp is 14.)

Sorry for babbling on and on about non-weight-related nonsense!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Morning everyone!

Shane, ouch!!! Hope you're feeling a bit better today! I'm a drinker and I've learned that as long as I stick to red wine, I won't have much of a problem the next day. I might feel a bit sluggish, but not sick or headachey. I run into problems when, after drinking a bottle or two of wine, I decide that switching to whiskey would be a good idea. I usually wind up sick and MISERABLE the next day so I try to remember not to do that. Teetotaling is probably wiser yet, but we can't all be perfect.

Jessica, I run and have a dog. One of the things I've always found to be a major design flaw in dogs is their obliviousness to cold weather. It doesn't matter how rotten it is outside, my dog always wants exercise. The good news is that this was true when I was an overweight exercise-phobe who took her to the woods to run off-leash as it is now that I take her running. She needs exercise, winter or not. It's been below freezing here for the past couple of months and I still take her running and bf still takes her walking (we alternate mornings with the dog and the gym). On truly nasty days we might skip it, or just take her up to campus so that she can sprint around and tire herself out quickly, but usually, we just suck it up and take her out. If it seems too perilous for running, you should walk, but usually it's not as bad as you anticipate. Good cold weather running gear is a must!

Happy Thursday everyone.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #59  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

'Evening everyone, because the night has already fallen here.

Shane - Maybe I'm just paranoid about those things, but I'd tend to suspect the same thing. Or it could only be a coincidence, but I don't really believe in coincidences. There are many people who feel (consciously or not) that when another person has lost weight, s/he becomes a "threat" (a threat to what, I'm not sure; to their own ego, perhaps?). Er, and wrapping your waist with duct tape? Is that a ******ed piece of advice, or is it just me.

Jessica - I will second Baffled's answer. Dogs make no fuss about running in the heart of winter, although it's a whole other matter for us when it comes to avoiding slipping on a patch of black ice or something. If the ground is really slippery, you can simply walk and let the dog run around (or walk with you on the leash, depending on whether you can let her run around freely or not).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #60  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning.

Sheila - this will be our 3rd Elderhostel trip. We went to Utah/Arizona in April 06 and to Costa Rica in January 07. They were both great trips, and I hope this one is the same. My DH likes that there is always an educational component, and I like that they take care of all the details.

Baff - no book yet - sigh. Hopefully today.

Gary - you'll be back below 170 very quickly I'm sure.

It's cold here this morning, 4 above at my house. But looking at the national weather, it's worse in the midwest and east coast. DH is currently in Boston, and I warned him on the phone, as he is notorious for not watching/listening to the weather forecast. He's driving a rental car, which doesn't have snow tires.

Our local newspaper has joined with the hospital and a new gym to sponsor a "Trim to Win: Lose the Weight in 08" contest. There's a $3,000 prize for the person who loses the greatest % of body weight in 6 weeks. Should be interesting. In addition they're giving free blood/lipid screenings the first and last weeks. My WW leader was very excited to have some members sign-up and thought it would be good for WW if a member won.

Whoops got a meeting in 10 minutes, better scoot....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote