Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: December 31 - January 6

Welcome to the last day of 2007! It’s a good day to pause and reflect on how 2007 turned out and what our hopes and dreams are for 2008. I’ve got my trusty legal pad out and am jotting down some personal goals for the new year, as well as the more mundane, ever-popular “get this house organized!” kind of resolutions.

Today is back to sticking like glue to my eating plan. Fortunately I’ve kept up on exercise this month, but there’s been way too much off-plan eating. Luckily I’m down a pound from last week, but I need to knock off about five more to be at my happy weight. I love the feeling of loose pants!!

What’s everyone up to tonight? DH and I are not party people, so we’ll be hanging out here at home. I expect to be sound asleep at midnight since I have a cold and couldn’t sleep last night. It’s funny to remember the brouhaha about Y2K just eight years ago, and how people thought the world would end at midnight. And here we are, eight years later!

The gym wouldn’t open until 9 am on January 1 (huh? ) and it will be packed for the next four to six weeks, but the newbies tend not to show up at 5:30 am (my time). I really need to set some fitness goals for the year, so plan to work on those today. It’s challenging to try to work around my wrecked knees, but I want to keep those muscles strong for when I get the first knee replaced, probably this year.

So happy last day of the year! Any big plans for tonight? Are you happy or sad to see 2007 go? What would you like 2008 to look like?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good morning! My chores having taken less time than expected, here I come, before preparing lunch (eggplant with Provence herbs, yum!).

2007 was overall a good year for me, which wasn't hard after the downfall of 2006. I moved into a new studio, not very large but at least clean and full of light, with my own bathroom! I went through the second year of my B.A. with good grades. I got a short story published in a webzine, and even if others I submitted were rejected, this success tells me I can do it again if I work at it enough. I managed to reach my lowest weight ever and learnt new things about myself in that regard, as well as new 'tricks'. I also realized that behind the junk foods cravings, a veggies-lover was hidden, and THAT is priceless. Oh yes, and I wrote half a novel in 30 days, in November. Not too bad for a busy person, I suppose.

I don't know what I want 2008 to be like. What I really want so far is pass my B.A. in June, because it would mean I'd *know* where to go in September (what I want to do demands that I have my B.A. for my enrolling to be approved). I also want to get to terms with my recent silly acts regarding food. But those things, only I am able to go through them, so it probably doesn't have anything to do with the year itself. I'm not writing down any resolutions, because what I want is, all in all, stuff I'm already doing (and resolutions, for me, sort of stink of "as soon as I resolve to it, I doom myself to failure", don't ask me why...).

As for tonight, I indeed have plans for dinner at a friend's. The good thing is that it won't be pancakes or raclette or any other kind of very heavy meal as usual, but a more regular kind of French meal. Even if I end up eating more than I should, the damage will be minimal. And tomorrow, I'm alone at home again, with all the opportunities in the world to go back straight to my normal eating.

Anyway, to everyone else here, happy new year, and I hope you too have a nice evening.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had an odd thought while I was hunting for my familiar threads this morning, especially the Maintainers'. Even tho' I'm considerably heavier than I'd like ... should ... wanna be ... in the mid to high 130's ... I do maintain here.

In the last couple of years, I've spent more time hovering up to this than I have hovering under 125 (my favourite). I'd like to say that I usually hover a little lower each year on average but I don't think so and I'd have to rifle through so many records to find out for sure.

So I guess my plan is to hover lower. All the while knowing that the scale number isn't everything but these top 10 are the soft ones around my belly and sooo interfere with fashion

Maintaining is good and I can do it. I just need to do it in a more comfortable range ... in 2008.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It has only been ten days since I reached goal so I am still getting my feet wet at maintaining. I am absorbing all the information I can from you longtime maintainers.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Hi all,

I am back in Florida today, after another bad airline experience. Due to a flight diversion I spent Sat. night at the airport and got no sleep, but luckily got on a direct flight with another airline first thing Sun. morning. I got home around noon yesterday and took a 6-hour nap. Of course I had to try my new KitchenAid so I mixed up a batch of no-bake protein bars last night. The funny thing is, it was like a healthy switch was flipped. Back to reality, back OP, no worries (well I'm sure there'll be a few #s of worries when I weigh in tomorrow...), but it was as if the second I left someone else's home a spell was lifted. I did eat like a pig for 1 1/2 weeks, and I'm embarrassed about it (though I am proud that I got in 5 cardio and 2 weight workouts - a vacation record for working out), but I had no desire to eat junk when I got home. Self-control in uncontrolled situations is something I need to continue to work on in 2008 (more in the "2008 Hopes, Dreams, etc." thread about that).

No plans, literally, for new years' eve. My roommates and other close friends are all still out of town visiting their families, and BF is working out of town. I will probably drink a glass of wine at home and make something else (healthy) with my mixer. I actually don't mind having some "me" time after so much celebrating already.

Susan, I hear you - the 10#s around my belly, hips, and thighs are definitely interfering with my fashion too. They need to go! We can do it!

Kery, 2007 does sound like a good year for you. Enjoy your dinner with friends.

Meg, my gym is opposite. It's open today, though closing early, and closed tomorrow. I'll definitely be there this afternoon. I think I may follow your lead and actually sit down with pen and paper and reflect a bit.

Gary, I often have a fruit and/or veggie tray (which you've got covered), and I make dips out of light sour cream and/or cream cheese. No one knows the difference. Some other party hits - bruschetta, pita chips and hummus as already mentioned, shrimp cocktail, bacon-wrapped scallops... mmm
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

I'm also staying home tonite. DH will still be gone to work til tomorrow morning. We have never been out together, EVER on a New Year's Eve. When he worked on the Highway Patrol all the troopers were Always scheduled on New Years to catch the drunk drivers.

My gym is closed today and tomorrow, so I'm just using my treadmill at home til Wednesday. Then, I have my first session scheduled with my trainer to show me what to do. It is exciting. I have it timed so I can do water aerobics on Wednesday too (providing I have the energy).

2008 is daunting to me. I know my son is leaving on February 9th and this scares me. I would like to hope that this new year will bring me less stress and worries,but realistically I don't see that happening.

I think keeping busy will help the time pass easier for me. My plans are to hit the gym 4-5 times a week. Make my garden twice as big as it was last year. Plant some more hedges and flowers. We are soon starting on remodeling our bi-level deck and gazebo. I have tons of inside projects to do also. We're going to put ceramic tile down in the kitchen, 3 bathrooms and the laundry room. I'm now considering putting down wood laminate floors in the living room, hallway and my master bedroom. (I think this would be easiest to care for considering our 2 big dogs that get dog fur everywhere). We also plan to paint the whole interior of our house and most likely the outside wood trim also.

DH got a hefty pay-raise yesterday that will help with our remodeling expenses. My only problem is that I want it ALL done now and am fighting with my mind over wanting to take out a home impovement loan and do it all immediately. Versus just doing each thing throughout the year as we can afford and not having another payment. Of course I want new furniture to go with my newly remodeled home, LOL. My better judgement tells me to just pay as we go and not add another loan to my already long list of bills.

I'm still trying to get my eating back at 100% clean. Right now, I'd say I'm at 80%. I still have 6 lbs. to lose to be back at my goal weight.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hello Maintainers!!!

I'm back! Hooray! 8 days staying in other people's homes has done a number on my eating. We spent 3 days with MIL in Portland and then flew to MA to spend 5 days with my family. All that traveling and eating from other people's kitchens and in restaurants is NOT good for the waistline. I ran, but not enough to offset all that off-plan food. I just got on the scale and I'm 141.1 (a number which accords with the jiggly feeling of my belly ) so bf and I are all set to shift into losing mode for the next couple of weeks to take off the extra pounds. I can't wait. I'm sooooo looking forward to getting back on plan. It's probably a bit lazy of me, but I think I'll do 1800 cals with 60 mins of cardio 5x a week and will make sure to do 3 rather than just 2 FBWOs a week. I'd rather increase the cardio rather than drop my cals to 1500. Let's just hope it works. I'm shooting for 135, but I'm loathe to change my ticker. We'll just keep my new goal among ourselves. My gym closes today at 4 and will be closed all day tomorrow. Jerks. Don't they know that hungover people need to do light cardio? If I don't go to the gym when I'm hungover, I'm likely to take to the couch with a pile of high-fat food. *NOT* conducive to my new weight loss plan.

I hope everyone had a lovely xmas! I got lots of new workout gear, which is exciting and bf pre-ordered me NROLW. Hooray! I can't wait for it to get here. Serendipitously, it's time for me to switch up my routine, so the book needs to hurry up and get here!

In the other thread, folks were talking about Guitar Hero. My step brothers got Rock Band for xmas. It's like Guitar Hero except that it also has drums and a microphone. I did some singing because I'm too uncoordinated for the instruments. It was pretty fun. I now know all the words to Weezer's "Say it Ain't So" because we had to 'perform' it about 37 times.

I'm not sure what we're up to tonight. We need to see who is in town and who is still out of town. That said, I'll be incredibly disappointed unless we get to engage in drunken revelry with lots of fun people.

And since it is the last day of 2007, we're going to organize our finances today. This is the absolute last thing on earth either of us wants to do, but we keep bouncing checks and running out of money before the end of the month, so we need to get everything in order. Yuck.

Hope everyone has a fab day and a fabber evening.

Last edited by baffled111; 12-31-2007 at 12:18 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

This morning I was reflecting on 2007 and I realized that I'm really not where I want to be. Although I pretty much maintained all year (no HUGE gains) I still wanted to be lower. So 2008 will mean the end of it all. I will lose these last pounds. I will get to goal. And then I won't feel like a maintainer-wannabe.

I have a funny story from my Mom. As you know, she lives in SLC, Utah which is the Mormon capital of the world (we're Lutheran). If you didn't know, Mormons are not supposed to drink (or smoke or have caffeine). Last night for dinner at her rehab/nursing home, they served cheese enchiladas. When the dining room staff came around to ask what kind of juice she wanted, she of course said "a margarita." She's pretty sure the staff didn't quite get the joke, though. What she thought was very interesting though, was that most of the folks there didn't know what an enchilada was--let alone what the pile of refried beans were. Oh. The shame! Imagine not ever having had Mexican food!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

OH MY ALLISON ~ I would "just die" without my cheese enchiladas! Glad your mom is feeling better.

Angie and I did a 4 mile walk to brueggers Bagels this morning for a change of pace. The dogs loved it because we went through bunny poo park on the way home!

We will be setting up and cleaning most of the day for the party tonight. With any luck we will be able to feed everyone and send them home sober and having had a great time by 10:00! OH Yeah...party animals here Although with around 25 people it could be tough getting some of them out of here

I have my pasta sauce, that rachael Ray made famous, warming in the crock-pot. Angie is getting ready to get her chicken caccitore going soon. One more trip to the store for ice and limes for the Coronas and we will be set!

Almost forgot...I weighed in back at my 170.8 this morning!! Much more like it than that 173 the other day. It sure seems that if I get my miles in I am OK...if not...the pounds come back

Have a great finish to the year Ladies ~ Thank you all for the support this year!

BE SAFE!! ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

And the end of another year. They just keep flying by....

Lily, your plans sound great. I'd be inclined to do one thing at a time when you have the $$ - but that's me. I hate, hate, hate being in debt. Wood/laminate flooring is a great idea. My mom had 2 german shepherds after my sister and I left home, and was down to carpet in the living room only. I swear there was a puppy's worth of fur in the corners every day!

Allison, you'll laugh but having grown up in New England in the 50's/60's, I never had any Mexican food until I moved to Michigan in 1968, and really nothing more than tacos and chili until I went to graduate school in Seattle in 1973! As soon as my housemates found that out they hauled me off to the nearest "real" Mexican restaurant. Now I can hardly pass one. We actually have quite a good one here in our little city of 6,000 - run by a couple from Mexico (we also have a Chinese restaurant run by a Chinese family).

DH is flying out to MA today, so I'm on my own for New Year's. A GF has invited me to dinner so I'll have some company. I'll likely be fast asleep long before midnight though. Tomorrow the cat and I will hang out and do nothing! The gym is closed, the weather is crappy, and I have two new books! We cleaned the house yesterday, there's healthy food in the cupboards, and as long as I fill the cat's food bowl, no one will be asking me for anything. Ahhhhhh.....

And can I rant about my gym?! They're always closed on Sunday. Christmas they were closed Sun - Wed; this week they're closing early today; closed tomorrow. Grrrrr. I did get there Sat, and hopefully will have time tonight. With DH gone, I'm thinking of trying to get there before work instead of after. It's my preference, but more difficult when he's home.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, my DH and his daughters were all Mormon's. I used to get so aggravated because his girls would say they couldn't drink tea cause they were Mormon. However,they'd go through 25 of those 2 liter bottles of Pepsi a week. DH was a youth pastor in the Mormon church and he has fallen from grace. He had a divorce (which is a very big No-no), smokes, loves beer and pepsi. Lol, it's funny your mom asked for a Margarita, that's what I'd want.

Pat, I'm sure you are right. I hate being in debt too. Now with DH's job I feel like I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel with our bills and sure would hate to create more. Also, I sweep up so much dog hair everyday you would think my dogs would be bald, but they sure aren't.

My formal dining room has doors on each end and it is carpeted. Since that room is only used about twice a year and the carpet still looks brand new, I plan to just leave it as is. (at least for now). I would really love to take down the wall between my living room and formal dining room and have one giant room with wood laminate flooring. But, because of where the wood studs are that support the roof this probably isn't possible.

Baffled, I've set us up a budget too. Yes it wasn't too fun. I haven't bounced any checks but sometimes I leave us running short til the next payday by overpaying on my bills. My biggest problem is my son never manages to make his pay last him each 2 weeks and he ends up borrowing from me. He always repays me though.

EZ, WTG on doing a 4 mile walk. It's 52 degrees here today and I think I may bundle up and go walk outside with Molly. Walking inside gets boring.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #12  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Greetings, maintainers.

I seem to be one of the few going out tonight. I'm going to a party hosted by a good friend from work. The party schedule is as follows:
7 -- arrive for drinks & snacks
8 -- fireworks start
8:10 -- fireworks finale face-off between "one bad mother" and this year's challenger
8:11 -- children run into their parents' arms
9:00 -- go home and let our kids go to bed

So, I don't think it will be your typical smash bash. Maybe a boom bash, but no smash bash.

My goal for 2008 is actually a goal for January: I'd like to lose the 4 pounds. I'm at goal weight now, but this will take me back to my mid-November weight, and also give me some cushion for planned breaks in gym access in March. 4 pounds in 4 weeks? No prob!

Here's wishing you all peace, happiness, and new squat PRs in the New Year.

Be strong,
Kim

Last edited by kaw; 12-31-2007 at 02:57 PM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #13  

I've returned from Sedona. Though it was a good trip, my weight on the scale was not a good thing. I thought I'd been so good; I really really didn't eat off my plan hardly at all. I did have 3 chocolate chip cookies and a couple York Peppermint patties, and a couple very small pieces of fudge, but it just doesn't seem right that I gained (gulp!) 6 pounds.
I am so upset with myself and know that I have to go back to my weight loss eating style to get that weight back down where I was prior to going away for Christmas. It's AMAZING how quickly the weight can come back. I'm just really really hoping that it comes off quickly. I'm trying to be gentle with myself as my temptation is to just not eat much and hope it goes off more quickly. I KNOW that doesn't work though, so I'm back to my weight loss eating and trying to just not chuck the whole damn thing! If I had only enjoyed my eating a weight loss of this size would have been much easier to take!
Somebody, talk me through this, please!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Cool

2007 was such a great year! My boyfriend and I saw so many concerts, we spent alot of time with friends and family, and we have so many memories and changed so much as people (in mostly good ways )

I'm not sad to see it go. I'm really looking forward to even more new experiences and great memories in 2008! I'm going back to school, we're planning on traveling a bit more, and I've already gotten back to eating OP. I'm still working on an exercise plan

Tonight, we're having dinner at home (yay! Even though I want Jeff to cook ...going to a comedy show...then maybe to a friend's party. No drinking for me tonight, but who cares? It's going to be lots of fun.

Have a great night!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Alison!

I grew up in SLC, and I find it hard to believe that anyone there doesn't know what an enchilada is! There are many very good Mexican restaurants in Salt Lake.

Lilybelle, those girls should NOT have been drinking Pepsi. Shame shame.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-31-2007 at 04:13 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote