Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #211  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi guys,

We went on our shopping trip yesterday and I have to say, it wasn't particularly successful. TJ Maxx let me down!!! I had a very long list of stuff I was looking for, and the list remains pretty much unfulfilled. I didn't even find a new belt.

I found a very cute short sleeve blue cotton blouse at Ann Taylor Loft that was practically free, and I got a cozy knit wrap/shawl thing from TJ Maxx that I'll wear around the house and office, but that's about it. (This would mark the first time in my life that I've left TJ Maxx without a giant pile of stuff. I spent hours picking through everything--and it is exhausting--to no avail.)

I had slightly more success at Sport's Authority. I got a pair of those super-tight running pants that will double for cycling on Sundays (no more tucking workout pants into socks. Hooray!) I also got two long sleeve wicking shirts for running outside, and a pair of weight lifting gloves to bring to the gym. I DID NOT find a new sport's bra, unfortunately. My current sport's bra is too big and too sad looking. But I don't like those racer-back uni-boob bras, and the SA doesn't carry underwire sport's bras. *******s.

I also didn't find a winter coat. I have a wedding in a famous lodge on a famous mountain in Oregon next weekend, and I was hoping to find a dress, boots and coat to inaugurate at that event. I failed on all three counts. It's already snowing on that mountain, and I have NOTHING to wear!!! (But really, a wedding in winter on a mountain? I'm sure it will be lovely, but ALL my wedding outfits are summer cocktail dresses and strappy sandals that just won't do.)

Thank god for the internet. It's my only hope with the coats and sport's bras and the like.

An injustice: Macy's was having a buy-one-get-one-free sale in the men's department, including dress pants and sport's coats. After bf dragged me in to help him decide between several pants of pants, I reluctantly made my way to the women's department to avail myself of the excellent deals. You know what? No buy-one-get-one-free in the women's department. Just a sad 15% off. I didn't wind up buying anything.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #212  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Kristy - so sorry your shopping trip wasn't productive. Thank God for Internet shopping. Let us see what you find for the wedding.

Yesterday, I stopped by Burlington Coat Factory just to browse while I was out doing errands. I found a navy blue zippered sweat shirt to replace the one that I got paint on. Plus a black belt that I think will work with my low rise jeans. And a very thick, very large cable, black, 3/4 length sweater jacket with hood. It goes great with my black and cordavan cowgirl boots. I had been looking for one of these bulky sweaters which seem to be a fashion must if you look in the magazines.

It's Oct 10th and still summer temperatures here in South Jersey. I'm really itching to get into my new fall clothes. Still wearing summer shorts, skirts, and capped sleeved shirts. Yesterday, I even wore just a tank top with a mini skirt. I've put away the sundresses. Not because of the temperature, just because it's October and it doesn't seem right to be wearing them.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #213  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Oops! I did it again. I was out on an errand and couldn't help myself from stopping in my 'favorite' store again - Goodwill.

Found a whole bunch of gems - a medium carmel colored suede skirt and a dark carmel lacy, soft wool v-neck sweater, a deep violet cardigan sweater with fringed edges instead of buttons and a wool skirt that matches perfectly, two black skirts - one causal and one more dressy, a light pink zip up sweater with soft pink suede on the front (which I'm wearing right now and feeling oh so cozy in), a white, thick, big holed crotched cape like jacket, and 4 belts.

Then I went home and moved my summer clothes out of my main closet (I have 3 to myself, not counting the downstairs coat closet - don't feel bad for DH, he has the bedroom walk-in closet) Now all my fall/winter shirts and sweaters are lined up by color. I can see I really favor all pinks to burgandies to purple, lime green, and loden. And black seems to be creeping into the mix. I've got 2 brown items just to be in style this season. At Goodwill prices, I don't care if I only get a few months out of them.

So off to Targets I had to go today for more hangers for all my 'finds'.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #214  

Hi,

Caroline...I can totally relate to your favorite store...Goodwill; My favorite store for the past weeks has been our local recycling outlets. the concept is that you donate the stuff you don't want anymore, and they sell this. The proceeds are used to pay the staff & other costs involved, and the idea is that this is a good way to recycle stuff. Also, it is a great place to pick up a bargain.

I found a couple of nice knitted sweaters, and T-shirts and a very cool workout top. Strange, because i was never even interested in clothes, and now i look at myself in the mirror and I like what i see. New clothes cheer you up, who would have thought !

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #215  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Although I haven't received any of the clothes yet, my new favorite online only store is Sierra Trading Post. I need to buy some clothes for Antarctica and I wanted to buy some now to get a general idea of what I can find online and what I can't. I bought stuff all a size smaller, *gulp*. I bought stuff for DH and myself but one thing that helped is that I found a 30% off coupon for them and used it.

I bought lots of shirts for $4 or $5, bought some wool sweaters for $10 and tons of other stuff for a lot cheaper than I would find them in the store especially pre-season. I will report back when I get the stuff to see if it is really as good as they say
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #216  
Meg

How many of us will ever get to say that we're buying clothes for Antarctica? So how long until you leave?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #217  
Just Me

I leave in 2 months and 2 days! I am hoping that all the clothes I bought will fit properly by then
Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #218  
Mel

I'm cold just reading that!

I tried to go shopping for sweaters and wool pants and skirts today. Ugh- it was so hot I gave up after my first trip to the dressing room. I did get a really cute argyle vest for which I paid waaaay too much money, but I've been wanting it since the catalog came from Talbots. It's exactly the kind of thing I NEVER would have tried to wear when I was heavy. I knew I'd have to pay full price if I ever even found it- they've been sold out of smalls everywhere since the end of August. Someone returned one today! Then I scooted out of there and headed for Steinmart and TJMax. Peeling my sweaty jeans off once was enough- by the time it's cool enough to try on sweaters and wool the stores will be comletely sold out.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #219  
Just Me

I agree Mel. I hate shopping for warm clothes when it is hot outside!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #220  
Meg

I just finished cleaning out all the closets and organizing for fall. And I finally bit the bullet and got rid of the (many) clothes mistakes that I bought right after I reached goal back in 2002.

I needed a whole new wardrobe but was completely and utterly LOST about what to buy and what looked flattering. There were too many choices! My head was spinning and I ended up buying the styles I had always bought. But I didn't realize that they weren't right for my new body and that I didn't need to dress to camouflage any longer.

So today I packed up the long shirts (to be worn open over a Tshirt), oversized Tshirts (even in a size small, you can buy oversized Tshirts), pleated pants, and matronly tunic tops and dropped them all off at Goodwill. It made me feel bad, but I didn't wear them and never would, so better for someone else to benefit from my mistakes.

If ever there's a time for a personal shopper or taking someone along who knows fashion, it's when you've lost a lot of weight and don't know what to buy! Landing in the Misses department was like being on an alien planet or in a foreign country where I didn't know the language. I had to learn how to dress all over again and yep, I sure made some mistakes along the way. But they're history now!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #221  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Hey Meg, did you ever hear anything from What Not to Wear? I know when I first joined 3fc I saw a post that you submitted an inquiry for a few of the maintainers here to be on the show.

A new episode comes on tonight. I love that show!

Last edited by OptimistK; 10-26-2007 at 04:54 PM.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #222  
Meg

I love WNTW also!! You're right, I emailed them about our group but haven't received a response. I'm hoping they keep us on file for the future -- wouldn't we make an awesome show? Internet buddies and big losers who have never met in Real Life?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #223  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

That is a brilliant show idea. Why aren't they jumping on this opportunity. Oh well, hopefully you'll here something in the future.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My secret weapon has been the Diabetes Assn around here. Once a month they phone and I tuck my mistakes into a box and leave it on the front porch.

Yesterday, I was on the hunt for trimmings. I found a few scarves and things ... cheap pretties.
I was thinking about Carolyn in Good Will. I got a Mexx blazer -grey with a wee bit of leather trim on the pockets- for $7.!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #225  
Mel

I did a "mistake purge" a few weeks ago, which left me with little except jean and my new business wardrobe. My problem was the opposite- I didn't dress like a small version of my former self; I landed in the jr's department and dressed like my then 19 year old daughter! In retrospect, some of it was ridiculous.

On the other hand, I have a few stunning dresses that I bought a steep markdowns just because they fit. They are super dressy and I'll probably never have anywhere to wear them. But every once in a while I put on the turquoise silk column dress with the one spaghetti strap and the one link chain metallic strap and feel elegant...then I put my jeans back on A mistake, but fun, never-the-less!

I still need sweaters. It's cold and rainy now and I don't want to get wet to go shopping.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote