Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have four gorgeous black and white checked cabinet knobs that I bought at Anthropologie in Santa Barbara. They make the one cabinet I put them on look very slim and not a bit "coked out", or is that "coked up"?

Do any of you have brand suggestions for the apple shaped woman? It just isn't gonna matter how thin I get, I am not going to have a tiny waist. Clothes are always way too big in the butt and legs, and too small in the waist. Even with elastic.

I saw those odd length pants in Mervyns. They called them Bermuda shorts. Not the Bermuda shorts of my youth, for sure! I think you would wear the same heel type with them as with a similar length skirt - ie lower heels for shorter skirts.

I don't care for the tops that make the wearer look pregnant. I suppose it was the same trip to Mervyn's where I noticed all these young, pregnant girls. I finally decided that they were just wearing the latest style, not really all pg.

No matter how fat I get, my calves remain small, so I understand about the boots having big legs. I never could find a pair that fit my little legs smoothly.

My particular taste runs toward llbean, Orvis, Talbots - conservative/preppy I guess. Of course, I am way too old to be called preppy and I don't know what you call it for senior citizens.

I love all the fashions you gals have chosen for fall. It is fun to read about individual tastes. Thanks for sharing.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #182  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Yes, I've become a clothes-aholic! Yesterday, I had to go to Bed Bath & Beyond and there was an Old Navy next door so I stopped in just to browse. When I saw these wide legged sailor pants, I just couldn't resist.

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...018&pid=542887

Krista - I was thinking of you last night when I cut off 7 inches before hemming them. They even have a 3 inch hem that could be turned down.

The Old Navy I went to really needs to invest in a steamer. So many of their brand new Fall cotton skirts and pants were very wrinkled hanging on the display racks. It was a definite turn off for me since I'm always packing my bag to travel to the boat or the apartment. I've got a bottle of the Downey Wrinkle Releaser in my bag to help smooth out the packing wrinkles of the clothes that don't travel as well. No way would I buy an item that I know is easily wrinkled.

This morning, I packed for being away for over a week since I'm heading up to the apartment this afternoon and will be up there all next week while DH has his collarbone surgery. It's still fun to go through my closet and mix and match up all my new clothes and know how well they fit.

We've been invited to a Black Tie affair so I'm going to need to get one of my gowns from the world cruise altered. If it doesn't work out, I can always wear my blue sequined dress that I wore for New Year's Eve. It really shows off my pint-sized curves.

Last edited by clvquilts; 09-13-2007 at 10:43 AM.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I have four gorgeous black and white checked cabinet knobs that I bought at Anthropologie in Santa Barbara. They make the one cabinet I put them on look very slim and not a bit "coked out", or is that "coked up"?
Thank goodness for that! Coked up cabinets are sooooo tacky!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Two hours at the Prime Outlets in Birch Run Michigan and ... nothing!
The first time I tried a 2 that was too big I was super excited. Later on I got depressed ... now where was that chocolate shop?
The closest I got to a really nice pair of brown pants was at Old Navy ... tweedy, flat waist, straight wide leg ... however, 32.50 and I would've had to have them tailored ... outlet prices? hmmm.

If you have time and want a suit tho' ... it'd be worth having a look. The sales were good. Half price $200.00 suits, nice selection of current colours.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #185  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry your sales trip was unsuccessful Susan. I know what you mean though. It's SO frustrating when you keep trying things on and they're too big. Who wouldv'e thunk it? And there's no where down to go, nothing smaller to try on. Especially those wide leg pants. They run real big. Even a zero (The Limited and Express carry those) is too large. Grrr.

Every single pair of pants I buy, I must factor in a tailoring bill. It just goes without saying when you're all of 5 feet tall. But at least now, I feel tiny all over, not just my height. I almost get a kick out of my short height now, for the first time it kind of matches with my whole body.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've sure had my days of disappointing shopping! Yesterday was a little better, though. I finally got a new pair of jeans, although they weren't quite what I was looking for. But they fit nice, so I got them as I really need a pair that are casual and fit nice. I got DH a pair of shorts and I also got a new T-shirt and some running shorts. Nothing spectacular. I may venture out again today!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #187  

There was an article in the London Free Press yesterday about man styled suits and accessories. I quite enjoy that look ... vests, button-downs, pants that fit your butt and then fall straight and wide to the floor, jackets ...
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #188  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

My daughter came to visit. She lives in Montreal. She said the Talbots jackets I had bought were too masculine and professional looking and definitely TOO BIG on me!!!!
She told me I "should" shop at the Gap and Banana Republic --stores I never went near when I weighed 35 lbs more( well I never went near any stores!!)
Hmmm she is now definitely my style guru.
I love all my jeans, pants and tops from Talbots but the jackets are definitely going back.
I am trying to decided between two leather jackets!!!!!! I have the Gap one and the Banana one is being mailed from
their Internet store!!!
Now what to do with all the HUGE Land's End cashmere sweaters --which were the only things I bought when I was so heavy?????
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieK View Post
Now what to do with all the HUGE Land's End cashmere sweaters --which were the only things I bought when I was so heavy?????
Sell them on Ebay. People love things made of cashmere.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #190  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I almost forgot, but here's the skirt I so wanted to buy, and finally managed to get (too bad I couldn't take a pic with me wearing it, but that'll be for a next time.

You can't see it on the picture, but when the zippers are open and I walk with it, underneath you can see the same violet fabric that is inside at the waist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jupe_petit.jpg (30.2 KB, 22 views)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #191  

Cute skirt Kery!

Another perk to maintaining is waiting for an outfit to come together. Remember when I bought those suits on Ebay? I think it was April. Today, one pair of pants has made it into an outfit that needs a sweater I've had for a while etc ... and it all fits at the same time!

Collect and wait ... collect and wait.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #192  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Kery - are those purple skull & cross bones? Are you a 'Goth' chick? I know you love black.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #193  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Boy oh boy, did I do a lot of Fall shopping this weekend. I don't know if anyone else is from CA here, but one day it was 90-95 degrees, the next it was literally in the 60's and raining. Since it became Fall overnight, and last fall I was 230 lbs, I had nothing that was warm enough that fit. So, off to the Great Mall of the Bay Area.

First, the Gap Outlet - bought a nice pair of grey dress pants and a whole mess of basic tank tops to layer under sweaters and sweatshirts...they were only 2.99 each, so I stocked up. Then Old Navy - I found a whole lot of basic long sleeve and 3/4 sleeve t-shirts on clearance for $5.00 each (I was in bargain-hunting mode, what can I say) - bought black, green, and burgundy basic t's that I can either layer under things or wear alone. There was a great grey sheath dress (on sale for $10!) that looks adorable with tights and flats...so cute! I also got this sweater, which is very warm and extremely comfortable:

I also got a couple of the "capelet-like" sweaters - not sure how else to describe them, but they seem to be everywhere this season - they are sweaters with fairly loose sleeves that only button with a few buttons at the top and are open at the bottom - one in red, one in black. A grey short-sleeved sweater.

Finally, because I am limited to flats due to my knee being painful still, and because I had been living in flipflops which are not appropriate for the rain and cold that popped up, I bought these:

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I also got a couple of the "capelet-like" sweaters - not sure how else to describe them, but they seem to be everywhere this season - they are sweaters with fairly loose sleeves that only button with a few buttons at the top and are open at the bottom - one in red, one in black. A grey short-sleeved sweater.
You're right--they are in style this year! I got the a-okay to buy one from DH yesterday (but he confessed, he needs new "parts" for his jeep!--I guess I can buy clothes when he needs toys!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies, just ordered this cute-as-a-button dress in a size small! I just think it's adorable, hope it fits the way I think it will when it arrives in the mail - this is the only downside to online shopping - delayed instant gratification!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prodImageCA7XVXAO.jpg (6.2 KB, 26 views)
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote