Old 10-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #526  

Shennie: If I can pass that stuff up - it's possible for anyone to do it. LOL! Did you ever watch the Nanny? Sounds like she visited your house as she has had to teach parents to follow through on punishments and some parents feel like they are being so mean, they can't do it. Usually the Mom, which I totally understand. Reminds me of a time when my nephew was about 2 years old, I was babysitting and it was his bed time. He was spending the night at my house. I was told he'd cry a little but he'd go to sleep. Well, I checked in on him, and he looked so sad and was standing with his arms up, I started to cry and had to pick him up and rock him to sleep. DH said I should have given it a few more minutes, but why? He wasn't bothering me being up, and how could I be that mean to a little guy like that? I can still see that little face looking at me (he's now 11 years old now).

Carmen: Girl, I know exactly how you feel. If you check back a few months ago, you would think that your post today was written by me then. I wrote about the same words as you did today. I'm like Star, I've hit 159 last Dec (04) and faught that for months (and guess I think I look okay at that weight but want to be between 150-155 to hit my goal). I fight like crazy to get the scale to move, but make little slip ups here and there which I don't think are adding up - but what else would cause me to stay at the same weight for so long? Self-sabatoge (vacation and too many eats/drinks), afraid of being thin, scared to reach my goal, etc... Everything you said. I think it's normal because we are starting to see change in ourselves when we look in the mirror. Are afraid of failure or of success? How can we fail with all the support we get here? Only way to fail this time is to give-in and give-up. Not possible. Maybe you're getting more attention by at-a-boys from people, friends and family - we don't feel deserving and do these little things to make it harder for ourselves. Maybe we are still trying to fight the 'food' for comfort habit? Whatever it is, glad you posted. Once counselor told me once, and I was P'd off at her at the time - she said "If other women in their 40s and 50s can lose weight and get to their goal, I don't see why you can't." She was right. The only thing that is stopping me is myself. Take charge and press on. We will make it to our goal! Hope this makes sense as I don't have time to proof-read.

Fiona: Missed you girl. I was about to PM you to see what happened to you.

Katie: PM on the way.
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #527  

For those of you afraid of having an overweight child, let me reassure you for a few minutes.

I am one of those people who never worried about my weight until I had children. I could eat whatever I wanted and stayed thin. Even now, I think I am lighter than I "deserve" to be for the amount of food that I used to eat (yesterday excepting ) DH grew up with an overweight mother and he was overweight until high school football. His dad died of a heart condition at the age of 36 and his brother died in a tractor accident at the age of 16 (both were reed thin). DH's mom and her side of the family are all roly-poly people. DH rapidly gained weight after we were married due to his sedentary profession, but lost 50 pounds 2 years ago counting calories and running. He still watches everything he eats. I say this to say that we have not been parents who have sat around with bags of chips, candy, and wall-to-wall fried food in our house.

My oldest DD put on weight rapidly as a baby - nothing obscene though. She was (and is) darling with dark hair, fair skin, and deep blue eyes. She just has always adored food. I remember when she was 4, I was cleaning her room and found a half eaten stick of butter in her closet! She seemed to gravitate to potatoes and starchy foods. Her grandmother (DH mom) is the exact same way. I visited with our pediatrician in Houston when she was 7 (I had 2 other children by this time, both very skinny active kids). We have modified her diet, encouraged exercise, everything that was recommended.

Although she has always been overweight, she has also always been very popular. Beginning in 5th grade, she has never had a year that she wasn't in Student Council. Before we moved to West Texas, she not only won the VP Student Council spot for her 8th grade class (115 in the class) but also made Junior High Mascot. Regrettably, we moved to West Texas before she was able to cheer at a game. She has been in One Act Play, plays tennis and is in the band and has a darling boyfriend. She is truly the kindest and sweetest person anyone would ever know.

From the time she could sit up, I noticed that she just didn't like to move. She was always happy sitting on the floor with a basket full of toys while my son and other daughter were little whirlwinds of activity.

I personally think that she just has a slower metabolism. It is something she was born with and it is something that she will always have to work with. She and I have talked at length about it. Some people have diabetes or other physical conditions that affect their daily lives. This is hers.

Our prayer is that LAWL will give her the tools to help her manage this for life.

As for the cruelty of others, we haven't really experienced that. Once, when she was 4, she got in trouble at church for punching a new little boy in the stomach. He wanted one of the boys playing with DD to play with him and said, "Why would you want to play with a fat girl." So, she punched him. The only other remark was at church camp in 6th grade when a boy from another church made an ugly comment about her. She didn't have to say anything - her entire church group went into an uproar for her and the other church group was forced to punish the offender. They even came to me to apologize. As I write this, it is interesting that both instances were at church where you think you'd be safe!

I say this to reassure all of you who are worried about this. I know firsthand how it feels to be the parent of an overweight child. While I have had your same concerns - in fact, I couldn't understand it because my other two children were always "slims" rather than "husky" - I realize now that it wasn't something that we did or didn't do . She has a predisposition to gaining weight easily and is attracted to starchy foods that excacerbate her problem.

Still, it is not the horror you think it might be. My DD is delightful and the light of my life. She doesn't live a life of daily ridicule and is not hampered in her activities. Her father and I couldn't be more proud of her.

Andi
wtxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM   #528  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

You're an awesome mom and your post brings tears to my eyes. I am changing my concerns of my daughter's weight to focusing on raising her to be a beautiful, self-confident, intelligent and spiritual daughter like you have now...thank you
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #529  
Norissa on LAWL

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmom
You're an awesome mom and your post brings tears to my eyes. I am changing my concerns of my daughter's weight to focusing on raising her to be a beautiful, self-confident, intelligent and spiritual daughter like you have now...thank you

Very well said !!
Mom_of_3_Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:31 PM   #530  
Awesome Super Cool Member

S/C/G: 305/251/204.5

I have some questions for all of you...

Do you go in 3 x a week to weigh in? Do you think weighing in that often is OK?

Do you get your blood pressure taken every week?

Sometimes I don't even find the time to go in 3 times a week, and I'm a stay at home mom!

Thanks to every one on this board, I read thru the old posts last night and I think that being here will help me be successfull!
applegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #531  

Andi~as we all know the second you posted on here, you are a wonderful mom!

Apple~ I try to go in 3 time a week and ussualy get in at least two. But time is not my firend and i have just started going during my 1 hour lunch period because the cente ri go to isn't extra busy during the day and only about a 10 minute drive.

At my old center i dreaded going (just didn't click with them) But I really feel bad about missing days at the new one. Also i do get my bloodpressure taken 1x per week at new center, at old...only the day I started

Personally i just go to weigh in to keep me on track, and I think that forsome 3 x a week is to much and for others is is definetly needed. I do weigh myself each morning at home to help plan my day out. I have gotten use to this and it has become my morning habit, so it doesn’t bother me. But I don’t do it to see a change each morning and I do realize that even drinking a glass of water before I weigh or sleeping in on Saturday can make my weigh-in not as accurate, but most people just choose a day of the week and count that as there official weigh-in.

Some how I haven’t had any water at all today until lunch, so I have a lot to make up for hope I keep remembering and catch up
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #532  
New mommy again :-)

I actually like to WI 3x per week because it keeps me accountable. The only time that I don't like it is if I show a gain or no loss, which after 2 days could be expected. So I try to look at the Friday WI as the one that really counts.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #533  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

I go three times a week with my two children, when they first open, which is straight from the bus stop with my oldest child. Its part of our morning routine on those three mornings. I go with no food or water in my system. I usually weight high every Wednesday, otherwise I like the other two days!!
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #534  

S/C/G: 212/212/140

Hi everyone!

I have been AWOL again. I haven't posted for over 3 weeks. I have been helping my daughter and her family with a big move to Seattle so have been out of town much of that time. I haven't weighed in since Oct. 8th, although I told them it would be 2-3 weeks before they saw me again. I decided not to be put "on hold" as I thought I might go way off the deep end with my eating. While I initially tried to stay OP during all this I did give up. That said, I did gain 3-4 pounds back but since Monday I have that off plus another 1/2 pound. So I am happy with that. We did eat out on many occasions but think the thing that saved me was that we were too busy to snack, etc. The one thing that really hurt me was not getting in all my water. My daughter was moving from a split level home and all those stairs were killer!! Good workout for sure! i will be weighing in this Saturday so wish me luck. Think as long as I haven't gained the COD will be kind to me.

Hey I started a blog and I would love it if you would come visit me there!!! Its at:

http://cindysthisandthat.blogspot.com
WAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:35 PM   #535  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hi applegirl, and !!!
I only weigh in twice a week. I just cannot get to the center Wednesdays, because of a night class. I am really glad for weigh ins, because they keep holding me accountable, and for some reason, I have a hard time being accountable to myself. Go figure....
Have a great day, Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #536  

Just re-reding some of the previous posts and want to comment on the weighing in. I live over an hour away from the COD so I told them when I signed on that I could only come in once a week. With gas prices going up so much (although, they seem to be coming down now) I was tempted to go every other week. For the most part I am in Portland most weekends, which is when I try to weigh in. My DH and I live rural so Portland is where we do most major shopping.

Hello to all the new losers!!! Yeah!

Where are some of you getting the cute Halloween tickers? Love them!

Old 10-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #537  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Cindy and welcome back. I like your blog. Your DGD is adorable.
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 PM   #538  

I just got back from my 2nd weigh in this week, and im up .8. i have bben on the rise for the last 10 days!!! i told them that they had until saturday for me to drop or they would have to figure something out. my friend that goes to think that i might of scared the poor lady. i just figure if im shelling out a crap load of money this better work. we will see in 2 days. im now off to drink tons of water.

angel
truecanadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #539  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hey Angel,
Are you close to your TOM? If so, you may be retaining water. Otherwise, pay close attention to how your clothes are fitting. Sometimes it takes the lbs a while to catch up to the inches. Sorry you are having a tough time. I have recently been through it myself, but then dropped 4 lbs in a week. Hang in there, you get your scale victory!!! Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #540  

Did anyone watch the Today Show yesterday on NBC? There was a segment about a natural appetite suppressant that was very interesting. Its a plant that the hunters in Africa have eaten for hundreds of years to stave off hunger while they are hunting. I just can't remember what it was called and want to learn more about it. I went to NBC's website but couldn't find what I was looking for. Anyone else see this. I want to say it was called "Hooda" or something like that.