Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

DH was gone last night, he's helping out on another ranch. I never sleep well when he's gone, but I'm not going to get any sympathy from him. He'll just counter that he slept on a flimsy mattress in a stuffy bunkhouse with a bunch of snoring cowboys.

I went out for my run yesterday, but I had to head back home early when the wet slushy snow started coming down. The dogs and I were getting very soggy. I put a DVD in and did some jump roping. I tried to keep the intensity and duration similar to what my run would have been. Blech! I hate working out indoors, but I've better make friends with my jump rope since winter weather isn't always conducive to working outdoors.

Beach Patrol, glad I can amuse! Kudos on eating slowly at dinner and for eating mindfully. Sometimes life gets in the way of exercise, but it's good of you to be a good friend.

Hi FutureFitChick, congrats on getting started with Beck. I wonder if your unusual cravings are due to beginning a new program. Maybe just a mental rebellion. But it looks like you're off to a good start. I like the "lifelong proccess of healthy eating and respect for my body." That's a great attitude!

Maryblu, "Just do it" is great advice! It seems simple, but for those like me, we've become adept at finding excuses to not do it. Love that we're having a discussion about the merits of manure! Is your opinion from a gardner's point of view, or the point of view of one who shovels and hauls the manure?

Welcome Tikinettie! I just began stage 2, and I often feel full on this meal plan. I diddo BillBE about fine tuning your diet. Beck says, "It's okay to leave food on your plate if you are full, but not if you are just trying to lose weight faster. If you routinely skip some food and find yourself getting hungry an hour later, this means you're not eating enough at meals." So maybe just note what you did not eat at a meal and when you were getting hungry again.

Walking Princess, good job on eating mindfully while eating out. Ouch on eating when you got home. Sometimes I have a tendency to overeat when I have that "But I've been so good" feeling. I don't know if that was the case, but I agree with Bill to think carefully about emotions. Just remember, these aren't disasters, they're learning experiences.

BillBE, kudos on leaving some naan. I agree that it's "killer good!" Good job on getting your walk in. Love those nice fall days!

BTW, DH would leave me if I brought more wool into our home!I was picking up my own wool that I had gotten cleaned at a wool mill a few hours north of here. I don't spin, but I'm trying to market some of our wool to crafters.

Hi JayEll. Congrats on going on vacation and maintaining weight. That is an impressive list of accomplishments. Kudos on getting to the gym and ignoring the excuses.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile A fun long weekend

My son and I had a great time. My nephew didn’t show up – a friend was in the hospital. Until he was a teenager (and no longer had time for such things), my DS and I walked together almost every day and took weekend hikes. And when he was a teenager, we started visiting national parks every summer. DS was always extremely active and had tremendous confidence in his ability to climb anything, anywhere. Since he never failed or fell down, he didn’t learn any caution I could discern. So we also had him start guided rock climbs where the guide could teach him safety techniques.
So both of us were excited to have an opportunity to do some hiking. We deliberately chose hikes that were rated moderate, one pretty long (5 hours) and one short (1 ½ hours). Both hikes were in fact quite strenuous, and the shorter of the two was also technically difficult. DS said it was like climbing a cliff, and then climbing back down a different cliff. The longer hike was actually 5 hours, but the shorter one took 2 ½ hours to complete. DS exclaimed several times that most 50-year-old women couldn’t do the latter hike, and that I was in better shape than he had ever seen. Credit moi for the hard work over the last 9 months to get me here.
We took a rest day after each day of hiking, so we wouldn’t get too burned out. I’m still tired today after my rest day yesterday, so I’ll take a rest day tomorrow if I wake up tired again…
Food was okay. A couple of time, I ate more than I’d like when snacking. But we burned so many calories when hiking, the net calories for the long weekend was an average of 1200 calories a day. So, I’m happy with that -- credit!
*6 day report* WI-up 0.4 lbs. I didn’t read my cards, or make a plan every day. Food – gross calories about 300-400 calories a day higher than normal, but my net calories were about on-target for the long weekend. Exercise – did 2 major hikes, plus kayaking and some spontaneous walking.
I’ll try to post personals tonight, but to everyone.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #168  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default I'm Stalling.

Hi Coaches:

This is what my inner critic is telling me right now:
You should have started (your diet) by now. You're just stalling. You're never going to do this. You're always going to give in like you did today.

I am discovering that feeling poor and not having enough money to go to the grocery store and buy what I need to "start my foodplan" is a major self-sabotager. I think I am stuck in perfectionism here. So from this minute, 3:56 pm EDT October 21, 2009 I am going to do two things only 1) not eat processed foods and white flour and 2) no second helpings. I will also continue to weigh everyday and record it (credit) and to not knowingly ingest fake sugar (credit) and that's my plan. I will write my food down and make a plan day by day for myself.
I just watched Dr. Oz and he said #1 was what to do so I'll do that and the second point is what my gut is telling me.

Does it really matter where I begin? At this point it's more important that I start. I'm going back to the original Beck workbook and re-working it.

ChinaMaine I cannot thank you enough for posting what you did today. It was reading your post that's the catalyst for my re-committment specifically this
Quote:
The longer hike was actually 5 hours, but the shorter one took 2 ½ hours to complete. DS exclaimed several times that most 50-year-old women couldn’t do the latter hike, and that I was in better shape than he had ever seen. Credit moi for the hard work over the last 9 months to get me here
These days I have to struggle to cover up the fact I just can't keep up with those around me. The last episode was last week when a friend and I drove to the art school to see the new artwork and listen to the artist talk. She didn't want to pay for parking so we parked on the edge of the downtown area where there was 3hr parking and then we had 7min to get to the school before the talk started. My friend said "Oh that's plenty of time" and my brain was calculating the blocks and the speed I can go which is pretty fast but not pretty long. My endurance is where I fail. Anyway I was at her heels the whole way, not at her side, and I was almost completely breathless within a block of the school praying to just make it and not collapse. We made it, in time too, but I was embarrassed at it being so hard. My friend is "age unknown" I have no clue how old but she assures me she is indeed old-I think in her fifties maybe? Anyway I'd love to keep up with her and to keep up with those younger. Nevermind the word "love" it's more like it's essential for my life and for how I want to live it.
THANK YOU for your post.

Shepherdess Sorry to hear about the snow. We haven't had a real snowfall yet just saw some flakes a week ago. It always comes too soon and stays too long it seems. I really like reading about your ranch and your sheep and your life. Thanks for posting.

JayEll Welcome back and on your success at staying on your foodplan while away. Yours was another post that I found very inspiring today. Thanks!

BillBlueEyesKudos for your brisk walk in the brisk air. I did chuckle at the comparison of Nan bread and Wonderbread... reminded me of DH and his loathing of all bread BUT Wonderbread. It's back in the house btw, but for him only not me. Maybe one day I'll be his inspiration to PUT THAT BREAD DOWN!

I'll leave this post here and send a big out to everyone I didn't directly address and big to tikinettie!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #169  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

ARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!! Someone gave me a "present" today - to say "THANKS!" for helping... the present? A box of MY favorite candy... "turtles"... you know the ones, chocolate covered carmel & nuts.... OMG I love them! - I thanked the person politely, then called a VERY SKINNY friend of mine & said - "Hey, want some candy little girl?" CREDIT, WOO HOO!

I felt like telling the do-gooder "Next time ya wanna thank me? Just pay my mortgage, okey dokey?" I swear, it gets REALLY HARD when people try to be NICE to you, LOL. Course, I didn't tell him that I gave the candy away.

Today was my 1st day of writing down everything. I noted that about an hour after lunch, I got a hunger pang. But I kept working, as I was kinda busy, and another 2 hours, the hunger had gone away on its own. NICE!

Oh, and last night, I biked for 15 minutes. YAY ME!

I hope you're all having a fabulous day! - Cheers!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #170  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm going internet-free for a whole week. To keep myself on track, I'm going to do my little two-line report every day and report it to the group when I get back on-line. Hope everyone has a great week!

WI: -0.05kg, Exercise: +35, 913/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

tikinettie: welcome!

Walking Princess: sorry you're struggling. Give yourself some time -- it sounds like you're figuring out what works and what doesn't.

BillBlueEyes: I read somewhere recently that ghee is as healthy as pastured butter. It's butter, of course, and since it comes from India where they believe cows are sacred, the cows eat what they are meant to eat -- i.e. grass. Therefore, the butter has all the good Omega-3s that it's supposed to have. Unlike our common butter that comes from grain-fed cows and doesn't have the nutritional benefit. Just thought that bit of nutritional info would make you feel better about the naan.

JayEll: good job on maintaining while on vacaton!

Shepherdess: way to go with the indoor exercise -- for me, increasing variety helps when I'm indoors. I don't mind walking the same route every day when I'm outdoors, but indoors I need to change things up frequently.

ChinaMaine: oh yay on the compliments from your son -- there's an NSV if I ever heard one!

onebyone: good for you -- a combination of advice from Dr. Oz and your own gut feeling sounds like the perfect starting point.

Beach Patrol: good job on getting rid of the candy -- you are definitely getting the Beck way of life!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 204

Red face Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for that warm and visually very colorful greeting ! Well, I discovered the Beck Diet Solution while internet browsing one day, and now I can't honestly say through which site I found it. Anyway, I read a little bit about it and what struck me was the emphasis on the emotional aspect of eating because I have always said that through years and years of dieting, I know how to eat, it's more a matter of behavior, thoughts, emotions, etc. So I checked out the Beck Diet Solution For Life from the library and felt like I not only found my path but was ready to take it. My friend who I have chosen as my Diet Buddy/Coach is also losing weight and she bought herself and me the book and she also bought me the workbook! I found 3 Fat Chicks through Googling "The Beck Diet" and here I am!

So, today, my second day of stage 2, I didn't feel quite as full. I was really proud of myself because I managed to get to the gym, and even though it was only for 20 minutes, I made it there between going to school and going to work. I'm juggling alot right now, so every success is even more sweet.

Thanks again for my very warm welcome and I look very forward to being a part of this group!
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 204

Hi Beach Patrol. I was just giggling at your vital stats because I too am 5'3-1/2 and I always tell people DON'T forget that half because it's important!! I usually list myself as 5'4" but that gives me an extra half-inch that I don't really have .

Last edited by tikinettie; 10-21-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hi all,

That Halloween cake that belongs to my son (he made it himself for a Cub Scout event) is freakin' killing me! I ate another slice when I got home today and savored each and every bite. Unfortunately, that was not part of my eating plan today and it cost me quite a bit in points. I ended up having to skip dinner which was not the healthiest thing to do but I had to balance it out. I wasn't hungry after the cake incident so I think it was ok. I just had a piece of fruit so my body had something good in it. I passed out the last of the cake tonight to my hubby and told him to eat the last piece because I can't be around it anymore. It is triggering me to overeat when the rest of the day I did so well. He promptly wolfed it down happy to take it off my hands lol. It's gone now and I feel relieved. I am giving myself credit for behaving the rest of the day. All my other meals/snacks were very healthy and exactly on my eating plan. I turned down several temptations today so I was proud of that too. There were so many things I wanted to eat but didn't. It's a shame I gave in to the cake but on the plus side, at least I didn't give in to ALL of them.

Bill - thanks for the tip about the Beck Diet For Life book. I don't have that one yet and actually was holding off on buying it because I didn't know if I needed to solidify the first book that I am in the process of re-reading a second time first? Basically, I'm not sure when to read the second book. As far as eating out unexpectedly, I totally understand where you are coming from. I think you did very well though. Even though you ate the whole plate, you 1) said "oh well" just as Beck would advise and 2)you said you had small portions. So the likelihood that you ate an exhorbant amount of food is unlikely. It was probably more than you were used to but nothing horrifying.

Jay - congratulations on maintaining your weight during your trip. That is quite an accomplishment!

Sheperdhess - thank you for the reminder about not thinking of my eating last night as a disaster but as a learning experience. I tend to react instead of be proactive about the experience. I hope you get better sleep tonight. I can relate to how you feel though. I never sleep well when my hubby is not home either. I toss and turn and it usually takes me 2-3 hours to get to sleep. It's very frustrating and a relief when he gets home so I can actually get some sleep!

ChinaMaine - kudos to you for going on the hike. How far you have come! It's nice that you were able to spend some time with your son. Those are precious times. Way to go!

OnebyOne - great job for trying to get back on track. You are right, it is so hard. I am really struggling too. I am trying to take it one meal at a time or if I do one thing right that day, I give myself credit. Produce can be expensive so I can understand how it's hard financially to eat healthier. Just do the best you can and be kind to yourself.

Beach Patrol - don't you just hate that when people give you food as gifts? I try to never do that because you never know if the person is on a diet. It's so frustrating because you don't want to hurt their feelings but you don't want to sabatoge yourself either. Try giving it away to someone who would enjoy it that you know is not on a diet. That's what I usually do. You did great with your exercise though. Keep up the good work

GardnerJoy - thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy your Internet-free week. Read lots of good books and enjoy lots of family time

Tikinettie - that's so funny. I'm also 5'3 1/2" and I always round up that 1/2" too. It counts!! Welcome to our group. I look forward to getting to know you

Well off to bed. Goodnight all
Kara
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #174  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I didn't make my pot of lentils and kale this past weekend which has left me grubbing through some leftover spaghetti with basil pesto for work lunches. Now I love pesto, but do better with less carbs and more protein. Good reminder to myself that I can't goof off and keep on plan.

After gym, CREDIT moi, I walked to a farmer's market to get a few ears of corn. "All the remainder froze in the field." We can't buy local corn after a local freeze, duh!!! I'll buy some supermarket ears this weekend which is grown in some never-never-land that never-never freezes.

onebyone - Ouch for the inner critic as the generator of Sabotaging Thoughts. Kudos for standing her down and getting started. Good reminder that "2) no second helpings" is possible during times of plenty and tight times both. Hope you can make time to get to your pool.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for raising your DS so sensitive to notice that his mom is doing strenuous climbing, and so open as to tell you. Neat kid there.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Ouch for the Halloween cake, but Kudos for stuffing the remainder into your DH, LOL. And Kudos for turning down several temptations - strengthening that resistance muscle as Beck would say. I'm not convinced that reading the second Beck book is necessary at all. It's a different packaging of the material in the first book (and its workbook) along with recipes for a diet plan. The diet plan is good, but not unique - there are lots of good diet plans around.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Have a good week off-net, looking forward to your return. Glad to know that ghee has Omega-3's since I had a piece of the leftover for my afternoon snack. It remains killer-good a day old when toasted.

Jay (JayEll) - Kudos for remaining mindful during your entire San Francisco vacation - what a great demo that maintenance is for all the times of our life. I thought about you and sitting down on the San Francisco wharf with the notorious walk-about shrimp cocktails. Hope you had one anyway.

Beach Patrol - LOL at "Hey, want some candy little girl?" Somehow we gotta counter the notion that candy is a good reward to give in return for a favor. Kudos for making note of your feeling of hunger, for not acting on it, and for again noting that after two hour it was gone.

Shepherdess - Ouch for slushy snow forcing you indoors; Kudos for continuing your exercise there. I was an adult before I "got it" how spinning turned wool into yarn. I remain in awe that so many different cultures figured that out a zillion years ago. Yay for smart ancestors so that I can wear a Pendleton wool shirt. Speaking of which, it says it's made of virgin wool. What does that mean?

tikinettie - Kudos for making it to the gym even when very busy. Yep, 5 minutes is better than none and your twenty minutes is a good workout, certainly worth "so every success is even more sweet."

Readers -
Quote:
day 3
Eat Sitting Down

Opportunities to eat while standing up abound. Do you do any of the following?
. . .
  • Take a piece of candy or a pretzel as you walk past the snack jar sitting on a coworker's desk.
    . . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 70.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #175  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I've not had time to get into the book yet but do get a bit of something from reading here every day. Nice to know the second Beck book is not really necessary. I promise to read at least one chapter of my book this afternoon i my scheduled "me" time.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #176  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey Ruth!

Did you folks know you can make your own ghee (clarified butter) at home? It's a bit of a bother, but if you like ghee, it's worthwhile. You have to start with UNSALTED butter, however, and organic butter is best. Google "making ghee" to find out about it. One advantage of ghee is that it can be stored at normal room temperature for up to six months without spoiling. Vegetable-based ghee ends up with trans fats and is therefore not as good as butter ghee.

BillBE, I'm afraid I missed the shrimp cocktail experience at the wharf. The day we went there was, alas, Fleet Week, and it was mobbed. It was also Columbus Day weekend. We were lucky to get out alive!

My Response for bowls of candy on a desk, counter, or table in an office space, is: This is not my food. It helps!

Jay
Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #177  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Good Morning coaches here's today's plan

Official Thursday weekly weigh-in: 276.4 (credit for weighing myself once)
Today: eat unprocessed food & no white stuff
no second helpings

I've just had a satisfying breakfast, 1/2 of what I would normally eat, (I figure if I eat half what I would normally eat I'll be 1/2 my size right?) and I am going to follow another Dr. Oz rule (you on a diet) plus some other foodplans concur and they tell the eater to automate their meals. Variety stimulates appetite and that for me is true. So I think what I ate this morning will be my breakfast most days. I'll come up with three breakfasts to choose from for every day but the unusual.

credit: planning breakfast for the week and eating it sitting down today.
credit: recording calories on fitday

Today I am back in at the school. I'd like to do 6hrs in the ceramic room today: 10-4 and get most of the glazes sifted so they are smooth. It takes a long time to do such a simple job. And I think I actually have a volunteer to help me! That deserves an official happy dance. I may have one other person who will know how to set the kilns and load and unload them. OMG. Amazing.

So this morning this is how things are. I'm bringing a sandwich for lunch and will buy some fruit in the market when I get there. I can make tea in the staff room so I am all set. I may be having coffee with a friend so much abstain from the treat she may want us to have. Tonight I will plan to go swimming for FREE at my housing complex's rec centre - 8 to 8:45pm.

Have a great day coaches.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #178  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikinettie View Post
Hi Beach Patrol. I was just giggling at your vital stats because I too am 5'3-1/2 and I always tell people DON'T forget that half because it's important!! I usually list myself as 5'4" but that gives me an extra half-inch that I don't really have .
Big welcome tikinettie! And yeah, I gotta throw that 1/2 in there... cause I feel like I'm WAY exaggerating if I say 5'4" and not giving myself enough "credit" if I just say 5'3"
Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

The weather was nice yesterday and I was able to make my run extra long. I love running outdoors! Somedays its hard to get outdoors, but once I'm out it's so worth it. It's just me, my two dogs and the wildlife. This time of year the antelope are starting to form big herds and there's just something about seeing 100 antelope running over the next hill that inspires me to kick it up a notch.

My eating has been on track. I am going into a bit of a panic about the weekend. We got a call last night from DH's cousins who said they were coming up to see us this weekend and bringing several college friends. Gotta love college kids! We knew they wanted to bring some friends to the ranch sometime soon they were just going to give us some notice. So I just have to figure out how to stay on track with a houseful of college kids.

ChinaMaine, it sounds like you had a great weekend and your son sounds wonderful. Big huge kudos on being in shape to keep up with him! What great payoff for all your hard work.

Onebyone, sounds like you are off to a great start. Good for you for starting where you can. You don't need the "perfect" starting point; you can make good, healthy changes right now. Glad you've got some help with your ceramics.

Beach Patrol, nice job on getting rid of that candy! Kudos on recognizing your hunger, but not letting it control you. Beck's "Hunger is not an emergency" has been a huge eye-opener for me.

Gardnerjoy, enjoy your week off-line. I could use something like that!

tikinettie, good job getting to the gym. 20 minutes can be a great workout! I find that sometimes when I have limited time I put a lot more into the workout.

Walking Princess, hate that cake temptation! Glad you were able to get rid of it and kudos for putting everything into perspective. Yes you ate unplanned cake, but you found a very sane way to deal with it.

BillBE, nice insight on the "less carbs, more protein." Beck's eating plan has huge amounts of protein and I'm not used to eating that much. But it is keeping me full! Kudos on getting to the gym. Sorry that corn season is over. I love eating locally, but I have to admit that globalization is pretty great when you live in a land with a very short growing season. When DH was a kid, the only veggies they ate in the winter were frozen peas and corn. Fresh fruits and veggis were a huge luxery. I feel pretty lucky to eat salad all year round.

Virgin wool is wool that has been spun for the first time. Some manufacturers recycle wool by shredding already spun yarn and then re-spinning it. Second spun yarn is more coarse. Pendleton is a great company and the ranch used to sell wool to them, but wool buying has changed. I could talk forever about the wool industry.

Ruthxxx, hate those busy schedules! You deserve some "me" time!

JayEll, love the "That's not my food!" response. Thanks for that.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #180  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Default Thursday

My MIL arrives Saturday night, escorted by DH, to stay with us. I’ve started getting a bit nervous. I want to be sure to have everything as nice for her as possible, but also make sure to maintain her feeling of independence. And, of course, it’ll be a big change in our lives. I suppose there’s a bit of general anxiety as well…
I’ve noticed that when I’m under elevated stress, I have more feelings of hunger. Generally it seems to translate to eating an extra 100-200 calories a day. I’m very hungry today, but am trying to resist making bad choices as the evening wanes.
WI-down .5 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op (48m).
one by one I watch Dr Oz every day, and love his show! He does a nice mixture of talking about the down-side of obesity and showing a wide range of potential paths to success. Minimizing variety in your diet seems a very reasonable plan… I’m glad my hiking story helped you. I too was unable to keep up with others, so it makes my recent good health that much sweeter. You’ll feel the same way when you are feeling healthier. Kudos for ‘ it's essential for my life and for how I want to live it.’!

Beach Patrol (belatedly) – I love your cheery attitude and am awed that you are an opera singer. (I hope I’ve remembered that correctly…) Ouch for the ‘gift’ of tempting, off-plan food. You handled it gracefully though. Kudos for pushing past your hunger pang and for biking.

gardenerjoy Have fun while internet-free, and kudos for a great way to virtually stay in touch while away.

tikinettie Credit for doing 20 mins of exercise on a busy day!

Kara (Walking Princess) Great job handling the halloween cake! Kudos for giving yourself credit for the majority of the day you stayed on plan.

Bill Ouch for not prepping your lunches for the week. It’s true that spontaneous decision making is more likely to lead you astray than ones you’ve carefully plannned… Yes, DS is a neat ‘kid’ (my chest is puffed out with pride…)

Ruthxxx (belatedly) Good luck reading some of Beck today!

JayEll (belatedly) Love your response for bowls of candy!

shepherdess It’s neat how running outdoors makes you so happy! So you call them antelope and not Pronghorn? I’ve been diligently trying to learn to say Pronghorn for the last year or so… Good luck with the college age visitors this weekend!
Closed Thread