Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #31  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - With the help of DW, I finally consumed the last of the ten ears of corn from last week; CREDIT moi for resolution. This week at the farmers' market I rather stupidly asked one of the farmers if there would be more peaches to which he replied, without skipping a beat, "Yep . . . in July." Oh well. Goodbye local peaches - you'll be missed.

On my walk, CREDIT moi, I stopped in a Goodwill that was having a 50% off sale and got a new sweat shirt without a hood in an appealing deep red for $2.50. It's just what I need to replace the one's I'm wearing that are too big using the excuse that baggy is OK. Well sometimes baggy is Ok, but sometimes wearing clothes that fit is nice also.

Then headed toward a loud umpa, umpa, umpa and found an Octoberfest in full swing. Was pleased that I didn't crave the bratwurst despite the glorious smell - but was curious what the dark bits were in the potato patties being cooked right there on the street. The chef told me with a big grin, "Bacon bits and bacon fat bits ... gives it FLAVOR!!!" There were no size small lederhosen in the band, LOL.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for blocking that "why not?" That seems like such a nonthreatening and welcoming phrase, except, of course, when it's directed at off-plan food. Sending you supportive thoughts as you move on from the eval of your artwork.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sending you good vibes for a "ridiculously busy day" today. Yep, that's an ambitious amount of food prep. Hope your travels aren't stressful and have some spare time for exercise.

Jay (JayEll) - Neat to use old business cards for your Advantages Response Cards. I particularly need the one, "Just because a food is available does not mean I have to eat it." That's one of the changes to my own relationship with food that I'm working on. All the food on the planet is not calling my name, LOL.

Beach Patrol - Yay for accepting the push "...to actually READ the book." Gotta agree with you that the "maintenance thingymabob" is the understated key to keeping it off. Kudos for so clearly recognizing that.

Looking forward to hearing your trampoline reports. It's good for me to be reminded that I'm more likely to continue with something that's fun.

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Make your Advantages Response Card

Copy all the advantages you've recognized onto a 3 x 5 index card (or the equivalent) so that you can carry them around in your appointment book, wallet, purse, or pocket. You're going to read them at least twice a day until you no longer struggle with dieting - and then whenever the need arises.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 58.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #32  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default monday morning...

and i'm down to a comfy 165. not comfy for ever, course, just a LOT comfier than creeping up to 170 (NOT comfy.) happily starting week 2 OP. did a ton of food prep over the weekend, and i'm mostly set for the next 2-3 weeks with just a few things here and there which will require additional cooking, including tomorrow night's anniversary dinner. each year we re-create a dish from our wedding menu - this year it's chicken saltimbocca, which is easy to redo in a healthy way (and leave enough calories for cake.) yay.

welcome new people!!! and welcome back kidslibrarylady!!! (thanks for the pumpkin tip!) it's a funny thing...this thread seems to be a magnet for artists, musicians, and philosophical types. i loved that comment from gardenerjoy that living this way forever "isn't even a depressing thought." nice! i'm still riding that kessler wave, thinking about the stuff that comes out of most restaurants and grocery store aisles as product rather than food, and pretty much the food equivalent of styrofoam, painted to look, smell and taste like actual food. but it isn't, not by a long shot. and i let myself get angry about the bajillion-dollar food industry working so hard to manipulate me and devastate my health, and then i consider how amazing it is to see the effects of being consistently on plan. with all that stuff in combination i have less and less desire to stray every day. here's to hoping this easy patch lasts a really long time!

not sure how things will turn out, work-wise. had a dream last night that i was on a train that had jumped the tracks and was heading towards catastrophe. not sure exactly what that represents...oh well!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 10-05-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 292.2/286.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Zansidhe

And, for your first day of posting on 3FC,

Neat way to stumble upon the Beck Diet Solution via a classical singing magazine, but how did you find this thread on 3FC?

I've stumbled upon the 3fc site several times over the past couple of years, mainly when starting up a new program, however I never kept up much of an online weight loss presence.

Over the past year, I've been looking at was has and hasn't worked for me in the past. One of my biggest issues has been accountability - to myself and others. I resolved to change that this time and part of that included signing up for the community here.

While browsing the forums I stumbled upon these threads and figured I ought to post and say hi.

Last edited by zansidhe; 10-05-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling, removing additional characters
Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #34  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Im in a mess....at home and at the shop
Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 292.2/286.2/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Zansidhe - Yay for starting up your Beck journey. Thanks for the pointer to that neat blog. Are you still in the introduction sections or plunging into day 1: Record the advantages of losing weight?

Neat to have an Opera singer on board. You remind me that our Boston Lyric Opera starts out with Carmen in a month then proceeds to The Turn of the Screw, Adrindne aux Naxos, and Idomeneo re di Creta - a lively season. The first opera I ever heard was Marilyn Horne singing Carmen back when the Met toured Boston. I was hooked for life.
-
I wanted to say thank you for the welcome words.*

Currently, in the Beck book, I'm at the end of Week One, sitting on Days Six and Seven. I don't actually take the book a day at a time, but let each day or two days settle for a couple of days. At the moment my stalling point is the Diet Coach bit. Have a few ideas, but would prefer to find another person on the same journey as myself. *
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 167/160/125

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,
I haven’t checked in for a few days. Wow – welcome to all the new and returning folks! I’ll have to skip personals as all my writing time was spent reading all the posts.

Things have been flowing along. Been sticking with my 6 week boot camp exercise plan (starting week 4) and can feel a difference although no change in the scale this week. Fat is leaving and muscle is moving in. Last night I didn’t get to exercise until 8:45pm, was tired and would liked to have skipped it but I felt driven to keep the commitment I made to myself. I’m still spending a lot of time on food planning, but that will get easier, and I know it is what I need to do for now.

I had a battle with Jelly Bellys yesterday. I won. Since I have not eaten candy for quite some time I noticed the cravings have diminished (wow this Beck stuff really works!) I bought a bag of jelly beans for my son’s birthday and forgot all about them. (hopefully a sign of improvement not alzheimers). My husband was putting coffee beans into a jar and the clinking reminded me of the jelly beans. Went to the drawer - looked at what one serving was, cals and fat okay but the carbs were huge. I asked myself would I eat one serving and the answer was no. Was due for a snack so had a yogurt and mixed in some granola and although I thought about it a couple of times more the craving was gone.

I do like these little moments, realizing first that I had forgotten about the jelly beans (not long ago they would have been gone before I pulled in the driveway), stopping myself to see if it was something I really wanted and being honest that I couldn’t open the bag, not today. For today, that is all the success I need.

Well, off to do more food planning. At times I feel my whole day is spent thinking about food in some way or another.

Kim
Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 202/185/155

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all of the nice welcoming messages. To answer the questions asked: I'm using the Complete Beck Diet for Life. I found this site awhile back when I was doing low carb. I think I was on stellastyle.com when I first saw 3fc. When I started the Beck plan I googled beck diet forums, and it brought me back here. Anyway, I'm glad to be here.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Break through!

Wow! Kuhljeanie, big kudos on the break through:

"i consider how amazing it is to see the effects of being consistently on plan. with all that stuff in combination i have less and less desire to stray every day. here's to hoping this easy patch lasts a really long time!"

I hope so for you, too.

Welcome, all new and returning. This is a great place to be.

Would say more, but I am in the middle of watching the- old-man-former-Packer-now-our-guy battling away with the accursed GB scurge-of-the-earth-team. (the Vikes are stinking the place up right now..oh, wait, that was one of the dawgs)

Kuhljeanie, I literally glanced over and saw your post in the middle of a Vikings interception, and went *wow.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #39  
Green Tomatoes

Going out of town tomorrow for two nights. The plan is to eat all of my own food, brought from home, in my room. I may go out Wednesday night with friends, in which case, I'll aim for lots of vegetables. I'm going to a conference, but not all that interested in conferring right now. I intend to spend more time in the hotel exercise room, pool, and hot tub, than at the conference. Should be good for my exercise minutes!

I'm taking my laptop, so if the network stuff all functions, I'll report tomorrow night as usual, just from a couple of hundred miles from where I'm sitting right now.

WI: -0.55kgs (new low), Exercise: +20, 217/1300 minutes for October, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: no

BillBlueEyes: cool that you found both a sweatshirt that fits and an Octoberfest on your walk.

kuhljeanie: hope you have a wonderful anniversary supper -- that sounds great! Kessler had the same effect on me and it's lasted a couple of months now -- helped along greatly by this group, of course.

RobinW: hope your messes get straightened out soon!

zansidhe: I use this group as my Diet Coach. It works for me to post every night (for which I receive lots of generous support), ask questions as needed, and be inspired by the others' journeys.

Kim in NH: great job with the jelly beans! And thanks for sharing your story of how that all worked for you.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuseday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Last night I attended a monthly event that usually has enough snack food to cobble together a dinner. This one didn't, but I didn't overdo the stuff that was available; CREDIT moi. Surfed the fridge when I came home and chose . . . a cup of non-fat yogurt. Felt pretty good about that since I felt entitled to something to complete my dinner. That situation was a set-up for going way off-plan since I was floundering about.

Squeezed in the gym even though I was going out; CREDIT moi. I wore black shorts together with my second purchase from Goodwill, a new red T-shirt made with a modern wicking fabric - a super bargain. Red over black, I was wearing the colors worn by the trainers at Bally's. My dreaded lunges passed rapidly as I pondered whether the victims, themselves, can be aware of their Stockholm Syndrome, LOL.

maryblu - Congrats on the smokin' success of your "gray haired" quarterback during the Vikings victory over the team who shall not be named.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats on getting down to a comfortable weight. Kudos for all the food prep this weekend. I'm drooling at the thought of your chicken saltimbocca. Yay verily to "how amazing it is to see the effects of being consistently on plan."

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch and Ouch for "in a mess....at home and at the shop" - sending supporting thoughts to the lady who stands and stares longfully at her bathtub. Yay for indoor plumbing - that is for those of us who have it, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on your new low. And Kudos for preparing all your own food for a two day trip, just like a nineteenth century explorer headed into the wilderness with her pemmican. Neat that you've scheduled time to use the exercise amenities of your hotel.

Kim (Kim in NH) - Yay for "Fat is leaving and muscle is moving in." What a great feeling. And Kudos for being so aware of your battle with the Jelly Bellys. Each candy season I have a little twinge of happy as I ignore the isles of packaged corn syrup. I've just recently come to notice that the winter months have one candy season after another. Don't recall seeing Fourth of July candy; wonder if that's coming.

Zansidhe - Kudos for focusing on accountability as a key issue for making this stuff work. Good luck with your search for a real life Diet Coach - that will be a gem. Most of us here have selected the posters on this thread to be Diet Coaches / Diet Buddies for each other. If real life doesn't work out, you're welcome to join us.

Neat that you're taking the time you need with the Beck program days, particularly the first two weeks which Beck suggests are key to making her program work.

HannahT - I like the five stages of Beck's the Complete Beck Diet for Life. It also has Beck's new Cheat Sheet (pg 104) that's helpful figuring out why we've drifted off-plan. Do you have a Diet Plan yet?

Readers -
Quote:
day 1
Face Reality!

Did you read on to this point in the chapter without creating your Advantage Response Card? Please don't fool yourself that you can skip this step. If you want to lose weight permanently, you need to change the way you think about eating, dieting, and yourself. If you follow only some of the steps, you'll probably have trouble losing weight or maintaining your weight loss. Then you'll blame yourself: I just can't do this! I can't lose weight!

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 60.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-06-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #41  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello, everyone! I'm enjoying reading all your posts and learning more about you.

Beach Patrol! Glad to see you over here! How are you doing with your Responses cards? As Bill just posted, it's a step one is tempted to skip. I know I was, anyway. After all, I'm so "smart" I don't need to do that.

I'm collecting my Responses for vacation... 10 days in the SF Bay Area... Land of amazing food... Leaving on Friday. So you can see why I need Responses!!! I just can't afford the "oh, what the heck" mentality.

I have a new Response to share. "Even if I am hungry, I do not have to eat off-plan foods."

I was thinking the other day about how someone who is an observant Jew or Muslim would not choose to eat pork, even if they were hungry. So food availability coupled with feeling hungry isn't a valid excuse.

maryblu, I watched part of that game. The guy is great, what can you say? Aaron Rodgers is excellent as well, but I was happy the way it came out. I am a big football fan, and one of my challenges is how to watch games without mindless munching.

See ya!
Jay
Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #42  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Checking in quickly this morning. I'm doing well, but found I was spending way too much time on the internet (not that you'd know it from my posting here lately) and am currently detoxing. I still feel renewed, and it is great to do the work and know that the scale is going to cooperate, modulo its daily variation. I haven't been there in a while.

Welcome to our new friends. I'll check in when I can.

Anne
Old 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #43  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

happy anniversary to me! i just want to take a minute and gloat about the fact that i married the sweetest, coolest guy on the planet (except for el nino, of course. and bill - you seem like a nice guy too. ) some friends of ours struggling w/fertility and had a very recent adoption heartache, birth mother changed her mind suddenly - turns out another birth mom has picked them and is having an induction tonight. they got on a plane two days ago with a brand-new carseat and not a whole lot else - they didn't know what they were going to need. DH told his friend they should buy diapers and wipes, and we'd help them when they got back. last night, he tells me that it seems unfair to him that because of the circumstances of the adoption, they don't get to enjoy the normal stuff like setting up a nursery, having a baby shower, etc. so he wants to throw them a shower when they get back. i love that guy so much it hurts sometimes. how cool is that. let the party planning begin! woot woot!

feeling the PMS pull to eat everything in sight and then lay down for a nap. that was quick, huh? need an ARC infusion and a plan review. and maybe 20 minutes on the treadmill wouldn't hurt, either.

cheers all!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #44  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hi all! -just wanted to say, I'm on "week 2" of the Beck DS book, and altho I'm not full swing into this yet, I did have a major "yay me" moment today & wanted to share!

I ate my breakfast AND lunch SLOWLY today! - I read my response card before I sat down to eat, and what it says is "Hey! I'm NOT in the Food Olympics! This isn't a contest or challenge! SLOW DOWN! Eat your food SLOWLY! Take time to chew thoroughly & enjoy every bite!"

This has been a major problem for me all my life... I've always eaten way too fast... I do everything fast... talk fast, walk fast, drive fast, type fast... So well - one of my goals is to SLOW DOWN when I eat. And lunch wasn't as easy breezy as breakfast because I had lunch with some old friends, so there was lots of gabbing/catching up... but I still ate SLOWLY! So... yay me!

Wow. I feel vindicated or something.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #45  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I stopped in this am before going to the shop and thought....Oh, I'll post when I get to work. Well I got there and all **** broke loose! I got it all done/finished/completed/and OUT of the shop in time to take some "me" time!!

The bathroom is coming along...seems we should be able to actually shower by friday morning. Sponge baths for now. Its looking awesome! But Im ready for it all to be done now! There is still a tonne of work that needs to be done after they leave.

Ok...food isnt as bad as I perceive it to be. Last night was a lovely venison roast....I just need to up the veggie intake.

Exercise isnt happening....unless you count shopping at home depot with hubby (did I ever mention I hate shopping there about as much as hubby hates going to target with me?) Another outing to HD again tonight

On the positive side...I managed to get my potential workout partner a free 2 week trial at my gym. I hope it works out and she joins! It would be awesome to have a partner.

Ok....Im off to get some decluttering done If you could see my house you'd laugh too!

Have a great evening everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 10-06-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Closed Thread