Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #76  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Morning Coaches -

A great Monday. Food and exercise OP, and more energy than before. Down a pound this morning as well. DH made chocolate cake for DD's bake sale, but I wasn't tempted - credit.

ChinaMaine - What an excellent and invigorating holiday! Big credit for the extra exercise and doing OK on food, which is sometimes a big roadblock on vacation.

kuhljeanie - nice job burning calories on the housework! I have to say, I'm not sure I'd be able to stay OP with all the yummy food you make, so I'm very impressed.

Trish (Pattygirl63) - Very interesting to hear about how you've combined Beck and Intuitive Eating. I have that book and it seems to be full of wisdom and sound logic (as Beck is).

Nuxmaga - Oh man. I had a bout with the chips on the weekend too. Those things are pure evil - I think they should probably be on the cover of David Kessler's and Wansink's books. Credit for tracking and doing Zumba anyway!!

wndranne - back

Kara - Sounds like you're very busy. Hugs & good thoughts to you!

Bill - That is indeed a ton of food prep. Big credit! Sounds scrumptious as well. Go Sox!! (If the Jays aren't playing I'm happy to root for the Bosox. It's a Maritime thing.) I think you are right about the "forever" nature of our craving. It's our response that we can choose ... Accio Yeti! Riddikulus!!

OK - time for a little vipassana and then strength training. This getting up early has its advantages, especially with a night owl family!

cheers
Erika
Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #77  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Dd and I went to body worlds yesterday morning, and we were both thoroughly amazed! She even thanked me later for making her go. I think the stuff that made the biggest impression on her were the embryos and the smokers lung!!

I did think the cross section of the obese person was pretty amazing! I dont know why, but I just didnt think about the fat being all intertwined in amoungst my vital organs. I also didnt think about how much harder everything has to work with all that gunk surrounding them

I think more on that type of thing would have been good for me.

Food is planned and packed! Supper is planned and thawed in the fridge. This weather has to be the worst for me. The hotter it gets the less I want to eat properly.

No exercise yet....but Im easing back into this. I told dd, we would get a dvd of beginner pilates for us to do in the mornings.

I have to tell you about my dd and her sore stomach......she spends the day at the pool with the slide. Spends all her time frolicking and playing....then the next day she is complaining about how much her stomach hurts. I thought it was kinda weird. Until she said...dont make me laugh it makes my stomach hurt. Ah Ha!!!!! Mom finally has it figured out She liked the fact that she was on her way to a six pack!

Im off....I have a ton of stuff that needs to get done!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Great to hear from you. Kudos for settling into Intuitive Eating as your diet plan - hope it works for you. It has great appeal to me, and I occasionally lurk on their thread here on 3FC.

If memory serves me, you had a real life Diet Coach/Buddy; is that still happening?
Thanks BillBlueEyes I think one reason IE works for me is that there are no forbidden foods. That being the case I have no foods to crave. But as I said Beck Skills the what I credit for IE working for me.

Yes I did have a Diet Buddy, but I don't hear from her any more so I'm not sure what she is doing. She has a lot of emotional things going on in her life right now. I've found some really good IE support groups here at 3fc and on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
Morning Coaches -Very interesting to hear about how you've combined Beck and Intuitive Eating. I have that book and it seems to be full of wisdom and sound logic (as Beck is).
eusebius You are right, there is so much wisdom and sound logic in both Beck and Intuitive Eating books. I believe that is what makes it work for me because I use the Response Cards that I made using positive thoughts from both books. That is why I would recommend Beck Skills as a great companion to any diet plan a person decides fits them. Those of us who have to diet not only have to struggle with our weight loss, but we also have the battle of learning to accept ourselves and have good thoughts and feelings about ourselves. Beck Skills teaches us how to change so that the Skills helps us to be more positive about ourselves. It also helps us believe we can actually stay OP and successfully lose weight. Beck is a great addition to any plan.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-11-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #79  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hey everyone - just a flyby. today has SUCKED. car got broken into with windows smashed, glass everywhere. had a heck of a time getting to the rental place, had to reschedule an after-work thing i really didn't want to do but was going to get over - then, the tivos are dead. really dead. DH tried to fix and succeded in voiding the warranties. dead lawnmower, mini cooper, chainsaw, weed whacker. all within the last 4 days.

overate by a single cookie - not horrible, but not optimal. what i really need is to go to bed so i can make it out the door by 6:45 and beat the morning traffic so i can be on time for my $@(*ing 8:00 status meeting. did i mention that the car was vandalized in the parking lot at work, at lunchtime?

sigh. hopefully a better mood tomorrow. signing off.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #80  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking I Vanquish YOU scale! haHA!

Good Evening Coaches

Well three times today I was bathed in sweat in that summertime job of mine. Much activity going on for my old bod dealing with the children. Children are active. They make everyone who has to deal with them be active too. Who knew that? Not me. I have never been around children ever--which is why I am doing this. Can't say I ever want to do this again, but it is ridding me of the underlying fear and avoidance of children I had. It's all good and the bonus is climbing those stairs. I move much easier from floor to floor now, after only aweek and a half, and I often opt for the stairs instead of the (now fixed) elevator. All good I say. All good.

Check in
-credit- weighed once this morning 270.2 I EARNED my Hans Falada Book!
Billblueeyes I am getting what is supposed to be a masterpiece of literature, translated only this year from German, written in 1947, Every Man Dies Alone Here's a NY Times review
-0.4 from yesterday -credit- and 5.2lbs from my top weight. On to the next 5lb goal: 265.2
-hours of spontaneous exercise -credit
-planned exercise to the park and back -credit
-read arcs -credit
-ate sitting down -credit
-ate three meals only/no 2nd helpings -credit

Last edited by onebyone; 08-11-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #81  
Practicing Imperfection

Quick check-in. Declined an offer of sandwiches and cake at 2:00 in the afternoon. Tracked food, credit. Took a walk after the sun went down, though it was still pretty miserable, credit. No impulsive eating, credit.

Kuhljeanie--just read your message, ouch! Hope things get better soon.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - My goal at the Red Sox game at Fenway Park was to not eat out of control. I ignored the two bags of kettle corn bought by my kids and freely offered; CREDIT moi. I also ignored Italian sausages, Fenway Franks, beer, coke, lemon aide, ice cream, and pretzels; CREDIT moi again for all those. I did however, happily indulge in the roasted peanuts that I had (illegally) brought with me; CREDIT moi. Unfortunately, more than I wished; Oh Well.

And the Red Sox won even after a fracas that got one player evicted from each team, including their pitcher who had just hit the guy who charged the mound, and after manager Terry Franconna later got evicted for arguing with the second base umpire. Mucho drama as well as good baseball.

Thought of several good reasons not to take a walk at noon - more like Sabotaging Thoughts than reasons. Finally zapped them with "Accio Yeti! Riddikulus" and took off, combining the walk with an errand for DW; CREDIT moi. Was rewarded, in addition to the endorphins, by a first rate chocolate covered strawberry that unexpectedly was offered at a store that sold such. Yea for the unexpected.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for a vandalized car and Quadruple Ouch for a day that "SUCKED" big time. Kudos for recognizing that your first need is to get enough sleep so that you can make your work obligations and attack the catastrophes. I'd send you the Jobe award, but it's currently checked out by Anne (wndranne). Sending supportive thoughts that you can remember how to line the alligators up so that you can wrestle them one at a time.

onebyone - Kudos for "bathed in sweat." And Kudos for opting for the stairs even when the elevator is working.

Yea for earning your Hans Fallada book. Thanks for the pointer; it's now on my unbounded list of good stuff to read.

Robin (RobinW) - Yea for a DD who first notices the joy of muscles. And yea for a DD whose mind is open to the wonders of embryos. Yea to you for taking the day off to take her to Body World. Kudos for having today's food all planned and packed.

Erika (eusebius) - Kudos for ignoring your DH's chocolate birthday cake - that's serious restraint. Yep, I share that joy of having the house to myself in the early morning.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for turning down sandwiches and cake in the afternoon. Was it difficult, a big struggle, or just your daily deflection of the unplanned?

Trish (pattygirl63) - Kudos being so clear about "Beck Skills teach us how to change to be more positive about ourselves." Yep having our head screwed on right seems to lead the way to weight loss and maintenance.

Readers -
Quote:
in session with Dr. Beck
. . .
Megan: Yeah it is. But it's still discouraging to hear that I'll always have to watch what I'm eating.
Dr. Beck: Yes, it is, but what you don't know is how much less disappointed you'll be when you're maintaining a much lower weight and feeling good about yourself. My guess is your disappointment will be really minor and not very frequent. It won't be like it is today. You'll be at a restaurant or someone's house, everyone will be eating some fattening dessert, and you'll say to yourself, You know, that looks good .... But how great is it that I don't feel compelled to eat it. ... I'm much happier being thinner.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 43.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-13-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #83  
persist

Thumbs up another day

Good Morning Coaches

credit moi: got on the scale, but once
weight: -1.4 (268.8)

credit moi: ate breakfast sitting down, tasting every bite

credit moi: have lunch planned by my DH

credit moi: have $ to buy dinner as I am at the school until 9:30pm due to my final ceramics class

This will be a tough day. But I have tomorrow off as I called in another tech from our other location to cover me for Thurs and Fri. Thurs is all about ME needing time to get work done for my art show on Sunday and Fri is all about Family as I drive to Greenfield for the internment of my aunt's ashes. I may, or may not, be picking up my mother to bring her there. I may meet everyone on site. Sat is more prep for the art show, SUN is the show MON is back to work with $ in my bank acct...I hope

Yikes gotta run. Have a good day Beckster Buddies!
kuhljeanie hang on! ditto for wdranne!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM   #84  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Morning Coaches -

Well, the 2 lbs I gained is off again. Can't argue with results. Cheers for WW and Beck, and my buddies for accountability and support!! OP food and exercise, and left gyoza and 2 pieces of sushi on my plate at dinner - credit.

Don't laugh too hard, but the past couple of days I've been trying something new. My MIL is a big proponent of that crazy Shangri-La diet. Well, I read the book, and Seth Roberts is incredibly persuasive. So I got some extra light olive oil and had a tablespoon here or there. I think it is indeed starting to suppress my appetite, so I will keep at it for at least a week and just see what happens.

Sleeping continues to be good and my mental acuity is slowly creeping back. It better ... one of the most popular pianists/accompanists in town just moved away and I'm starting to get a boatload of work. No complaints, though I hope I can figure out when to say no.

Robin - Wow, Body World sounds incredible. Is it in Buffalo? Sounds almost worth a trip across the border ... that and Wiggles World at the Six Flags park LOL.

Trish - Thanks for your wise words about Beck skills. Absolutely, they help us to accept ourselves so that we are truly ready to change our behaviour. No wonder you are having success - you clearly understand these skills deeply.

kuhljeanie - all I can say is and big kudos for only eating one extra cookie!! I'm wishing you a terrific day today.

onebyone - you have done it! Keep on persisting in victory! And thanks for introducing me to Hans Fallada. Who knew, 20 years of reading German literature and I never heard of the guy. He sounds pretty amazing, I must say. Oh and about children ... yup. Totally. DD can turn a piano lesson into gymnastics in about 3 seconds.

Nuxmaga - Kudos for staying OP and doing exercise even in gross weather!

Bill - Yay Sox! Sounds like a great game and you did wonderfully dealing with the ballpark temptations. Kudos for taking a walk as well! Glad the charm worked

to wndranne, maryblu, tera and all other buddies! Have a great Wednesday!

cheers
Erika
Old 08-12-2009, 07:44 AM   #85  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Erika~ yes, the Body Worlds is at the Buffalo Museum...it was pretty amazing!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #86  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Another trip to the city today, and 7400 steps, credit. Zumba, credit. Tracked food, credit. Left some food on my plate at lunch(does the fact that it was healthy kale negate the credit??? A woman can only eat so much kale). Measured my syrup with pancakes tonight--in spite of how much I enjoy glugging on the syrup, so big credit for that.

eusebius--congrats on leaving some sushi on your plate! Glad to hear that you are sleeping and the acuity is coming back.

onebyone--Credit for eating breakfast sitting down and mindfully! Hope the art show goes great.

Bill--Wow, you really conquered that ball game! Major kudos! Turning down the food was surprisingly easy--I didn't give myself a chance to think about it, I just said "no thanks." It's the thinking that really does me in.

Robin W--yay for food planning! dh and I slide into major avoidance when the weather is hot, hence the diner pancakes for dinner tonight.

wndranne & kuhljeanie--
Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

hey everyone,

I thought I would have more time today to do personals but I just sat down for the first time today and it is 9:15pm. I'm exhausted. We bought the new car last night and yes, even got the Cash for Clunkers program and got the $4500 credit towards the new car! Yea!

My dh left today on the fishing/camping trip with his brothers and a couple friends. My little one didn't take too well to not having daddy around and it has been quite a long and emotional day for both of us. I pray tomorrow is better. I'm just exhausted.

So sorry I couldn't do personals today, I need to get some sleep. I will try agian to catch up with everyone tomorrow

Hang in there Jeannie and Wndranne! ((Hugs))

Kara
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had my lentils with kale for lunch and DW prepared dahl (lentils) with a side of kale and feta cheese for dinner. Such is the life of independent menu planning, LOL. CREDIT moi for good food even if duplicated.

Did gym; CREDIT moi. I concentrated on moving the dumbbells slowly and on coming down for the full stroke. Must have done something different since I was barely able to finish the last one of the last set. I assume that that means I'm doing something right.

onebyone - Kudos for having today "about ME" - may you find your productive self to get ready for Sunday's show. And yea for hitting the 60's.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Still thinking about your trip to Body Works and remembering different parts that were amazing.

Erika (eusebius) - Wow! Leaving sushi on your plate exceeds anything I can imagine. Kudos for leaving that and your dumplings both. Look forward to hearing the results of olive oil as a diet aid. Do you take it like castor oil? (Which we took as kids for whatever ailed us, which might explain why I avoid thinking about going to the doctor, LOL.)

Congrats on the extra work appearing. Glad your sleep and acuity are both arriving in time to handle it.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yea for "diner pancakes for dinner," which wins today's Dessert in the Desert Award - for obvious reasons, LOL. Yep, Hemi-Kudos for leaving kale, LOL. I do like your notion, "I just said "no thanks." It's the thinking that really does me in." That thinking thing has gotten me in more trouble than my impulsive blundering.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Yea for a new car; Double Yea for getting the Clunkers credit. We inhabitants of planet earth thank you for reducing your carbon footprint with that purchase, LOL. Ouch for an exhausting day with a little one who misses his dad.

Readers -
Quote:
the solution at a glance

• If you struggle with weight loss, you have a different mindset about food and eating than people who don‘t struggle with their weight.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 43.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #89  
Fighting Piano Butt!

Morning Coaches -

OP with food and exercise yesterday. Possibly up a half pound this morning ... hard to tell with my crappy scale. Trying not to sweat it.
Ate dinner very slowly and without distractions ... reading while I eat is the worst for me. So credit for that.

Robin - thanks for the info about Body Worlds ... I will have to look into it for sure!

Nuxmaga - Credit for all your healthy behaviours, including measuring syrup ... that's definitely one that many dieters would overlook.

Kara - Congrats on the new car!! I'm well acquainted with those long emotional days - hope things are easier today.

Bill - Kudos for good food and exercise. Yes, as far as I know, if you are nearly unable to complete a set but can still do it, that's the correct amount of weight for you. Bravo! Yes, you just kind of throw the oil back ... apparently some people put it in sugar water to make it easier, but I just chug it out of the measuring spoon. It has to be extra light olive oil, or there will be too much flavor - the point is to eat an unflavored food within a two hour window of not eating any other flavors. This causes the appetite suppression. So far it does seem easier to follow my plan - I am hungry for the amount of food I do eat, but have little desire for more (unless I smell chocolate cake, LOL)

OK friends, it's strength training day today. Enjoy your Thursday!

cheers
Erika
Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #90  
persist

Thumbs up number crunching

on a Thursday to my Coaches

I have the grand luxury of sitting here at home while my fill in at the school is running around RIGHT NOW getting stuff to the kids classes.

Ah! Here! Here! to my replacement!

So my job today is to get painting for my Sunday event. I have my sketches and four canvases waiting for me. I'll need more canvases but luckily it's also payday and I actually have a sizable cheque to buy canvases with!

Here! Here! to the school for gainfully employing me.

My final ceramics class went well last night. I had a great time and see great potential in what I am making. I can see myself using my ceramics position this year to build up that stock to have a massive blowout sale next year and make a big pile of cash! I am starting to plan for xmas 2010 now; very non-onebyone behaviour! I am considering starting a business related facebook page. I need somewhere to put my wares out for sale and I am slow to make websites so this may be a good re-start on that stuff. I'll be looking at that today.

credits today: weighed once +1.8 (270.6)
made a decision: I will continue to report my daily weight shifts as Dr. Beck recommends but I choose WEDNESDAY to be my official weigh-in day and the day I update my ticker and my stats. side note: my body seems to like 270.6 a lot - especially when fed fast food.

credit: ate breakfast slowly and mindfully while seated

That's it so far. Ill be back in later.

Wishing you all a great day today.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-13-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Closed Thread