Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #166  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default hmmmm coaches

Hi coaches.

So. Had a tough time this evening. Felt like "celebrating" getting through the week and went to old habits. Made chili when I am not supposed to have beans today after 3pm (just following my plan), "forgot" about this and made the chili and ate it, even having an extra ladle full when bringing bowl into the kitchen sink. Then remembered 30min later I bought sugar free ice cream for dessert, a haagen-daz sized container (2c?) and ate the whole, thing. Knew I should have stopped 1" down from the top but kept going so "it was all gone and I didn't have to think about it tomorrow". Buying it was a bad choice...was part of the "celebratory" feeling. I needed/wanted/desired something to mark getting through my week.

Well, still say I am batting 90%+. Refuse to let this bring me down or stop me. Hello? No choice but to go forward.

And I've decided to stay home over the weekend and get caught up with homework and projects and the cleaning of my house. Have slacked on that too much and want to reclaim my space and make more; need to keep turning over that new leaf. Very important.

Instead we are now planning to go next weekend, will be missing Sunday market again, but will be able to attend thishttp://www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca/home.shtml I submitted a print to the proof studio gallery show. It should arrive there tomorrow, a day after the deadline so that they accept my print. If they do, we'll be able to see it during this event!

Heard today that the new ceramic instructors have expressed a desire to move the studio around. So, may have some extra work to do for them soon. I knew it. Could feel it in my gut. Just started firing the kiln this week and have to go in tomorrow to unload it. I did decide on making relief sculptures in clay so this eases one burden for me. Am now excited to draw some sketches and get to it.

Going to bed now! Talk tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #167  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches – My head has gotten clear enough to go back to work; it was a useful excuse to skip a boring meeting to spare the other folk. Made an excuse for a short walk before dinner. CREDIT moi. Making good progress on the heirloom tomatoes; will finish our share of the full 25 pounds before they get tired. What a way to end the tomato season - so many tomatoes that it eases the pain of seeing them disappear.

onebyone – That Toronto all night contemporary art thing sounds like a blast. Have a great time. Ouch for the diversions into chili and sugar free ice cream. Congrats for deciding on your relief sculptures and moving on. Kudos for keeping your sights on the big picture.

Robin (RobinW) - So glad that you and DH will attend my BYOB dinner party, LOL. Remember that's it's black tie. Neat that he's going to join your healthy eating plan.

angelmomma210 - Sending best supportive thoughts for your and your DH for his work situation. Best advice I was ever given was to keep EXCELLENT records of everything that's happening; in personnel situations, the best documented side often wins. Kudos for going for the chicken strips in stead of pizza. (What are jo jos?)

shrinkin - WOW - What a demonstration of fighting a craving. Big Kudos for hanging in there. Thanks for sharing the full story to remind us how diligent you have to be to stand it down. And Kudos to your DD for being a strong support for you. Oh yeah, and Congrats for the splendid four week weight loss.

Really had to laught at this dangerous sentence, "I know where we keep the chocolate candy after hours." OK, I get it how you can count your pulse when you are vertical with your elbows tucked. That corrects the picture in my head of the Olympic swimmers doing the freestroke with one hand while the other measured its pulse, LOL.

tera (twilit tera) – Neat demonstration of day 17: End Overeating. Putting back half of that homemade hamburger sandwich struck me as a great test of being able to stop. Kudos.

Readers – " Eating Begins with a Trigger
…You’re probably most aware of environmental triggers, such as seeing or smelling food. …" Beck, pg 29.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #168  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Friday report

Morning coaches,

Well, an OP day yesterday with no skirmishes with chocolate. Birthday cake at work, CREDIT MOI for saying..."resisted chocolate yesterday, no way I am falling for birthday cake that I dont particiularly like."

DH was super last night, going with me to try on dresses and then treating for dinner out at seafood restaurant. Pulled the trigger on buying a dress for his son's wedding in Nov. At dinner, relatively easy to order healthy and resisted temptation to order bottle of wine. We were both in festive mood and our old habit would have been to rationalize it.

Pool workout for about 45 min yesterday. Tired today and left elbow painful. OH WELL.

Plans for weekend: Visiting with neighbors over firepit social hour (usually too much alcohol and food at this). Will have to gear up psyche to stay in control. Afterwards, we will load the car and drive to the lake which is about 90 min away. So, a late night arrival there with need to do cleaning and some cooking. Plans to have guests at lake for either dinner on Sat or lunch on Sunday. Have not confirmed with them as weather is a factor (will go out on boat weather permitting which right now looks like Sunday). Have to get brain around Sue Antoinette entertaining and get energy up for this. Also, will have to visit yet another pool...but have it picked out from last weekend. Right now, to tired to think about all of this. That feels dangerous as planning slips when tired.

BBE-Yup, that fight with the chocolate was a humdinger. Amazing that hidden chocolate with no one around can be more of a pull that chocolate in plain view all day. Gets right at that thought that if no one sees it, it doesn't count. for your improved head cold. Ok, so how many of the 25 pounds of tomatoes have you been able to finish off? They are so good and diet innocuous!

onebyone- A gentle for the off plan eating. Yup, that celebratory feeling can be just as hard on the brain as the "I'm having a down day." Kudos for reporting and for getting back on track! You will focus today and follow your plan. Credit to you for deciding to lower your stress level over weekend by getting caught up on things.

May not be able to post over weekend, but will be reading!

Sending a great OP weekend to all Beck followers and readers!
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #169  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

morning my coaches,

power restored yesterday, and we're back home! yay. el nino was really happy - spent most of the evening cheerfully bothering the cat, who didn't seem to mind that much. i'm happy too. it's nice to sleep in your own bed. we still don't have cable, phone, or internet, so DH and i spent much of the evening talking about future home renovation. just got an IKEA in the greater cincinnati area, and my mind is filled with beautiful storage systems with faux-swedish names.

finally able to get on a scale, and was sorely disappointed to find out that i'm at exactly the same weight i was before vacation. worked so hard to pay attention. must chalk this up to an Oh Well and get past it. if the next three weeks continue to show no movement of the scale, i am considering trying something like bistro MD to take the guesswork (or just the work, period) out of losing weight. DH is supportive, as always. bless him! in the meantime, i've increased my target daily calorie burn from 2500 to 2700. the only difference i've noticed is increased hunger. will have to give it some time and see how it goes.

bill, glad you're feeling better! anything to get out of a meeting, huh? onebyone, i'm glad you decided to stay home and take care of yourself this weekend. i was pulling for that option. angelmomma, really hoping that things ease up for your dh. mine is struggling too - it's very hard to stand by and not be able to fix things! shrinkin, hope that elbow heals up soon! you're a paragon of using beck when it gets tough. i seem to fold more quickly these days...can you send some of that strength my way? tera, wonderful job on leaving food on your plate! i continue to struggle with this one. last night, had a definite moment of feeling "done" with my chili, recognized it, and continued to eat until it was gone. sigh.

have a fantastic weekend, everyone!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #170  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Ive made a decision....on Monday when hubby starts all this up with me, I am going to go back to day one of beck and work it daily by the book! Rather than just remembering what was said and how to do things. This should certainly help with issue that creep and bite me in the butt.

Things have quieted down around here, so I will be spending alot of time on lynda.com learning photoshop Oh how I intensely dislike learning new software! But, on the plus side, this is a cool site for learning stuff. Its broken down into a few minutes at a time.....you dont have to commit an entire hour to something or a full day. Makes answering phones and talking to customers much easier, and then just going back to restart the little movie. Perfect!

Bill~ you went back to work today? Just in time for the weekend ....its a black tie event eh? Hmmmm.....that means hubby is going to have to do some serious digging in the closet for his tie!

shrinkin~ enjoy your weekend!!

onebyone~ you too......enjoy your weekend!!

kuhlejeanie~ an IKEA!! I love there stuff! I even go to youtube to watch their commercials that wont be aired here Dont be dissappointed, be very proud of yourself for staying on plan during your vacation!! You did great! Ive never heard of bistro MD?

Have a great day everyone!!!

Last edited by RobinW; 09-26-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #171  
persist

Thumbs up Friday morning

Oh coaches! I had the very pleasant experience of sleeping in.... I did get up at regular time, 6:15am, but then went back to bed to wake up at 9am, with Kitty X sleeping on my chest, purring away. She's a big heavy cat and I am always surprised I don't wake up when she comes up and lays down on me. She's given me a permanent case of "kitty rib" as she climbs up on me over the same route every time, for 4 years now. Complained to the Dr about kittyribitis once. He asked me what was going on with the rib, told him the truth and he told me to stop the cat from coming up. uh yeah. Like that's ever gonna happen... I do not complain of kitty rib anymore.

So on track and OP again this morning. Daily weight check shows no change, so no harm done. Tried once again to reach family members, again no luck. Can never get them on the phone ever.

Tomorrow on my plan is a scheduled "cheat day". No need to record or follow the scheduled meal plan or anything. I can choose from the variety and wonder of the all the foods in the world. Only one golden rule: stop when full/no stuffing yourself. Oy vey! Ain't this the rub? Methinks I'll need Beckensian principles to help manage this Free Day. Still, it's things like this that keep me on this foodplan. I get to change it up and be my own big experiment! So far, so good, no reason to stop now...

kuhljeanie Good news that you are at home now and looking forward to decorating. Means you are settling down. This is good! I am sure the weight will start moving again. I think you deserve BIG KUDOS for staying the same! You were and still are coping with some major challenges that I would have eaten over many times... it is a success to have stayed the same. I predict the weight will start to come off again soon!

shrinkin Thank you for the gentle "reminder" to get on track. I am on track as I write this. I will be glad when your elbow no longer pains you. I was trying to imagine a painful elbow this morning but have never had that. Can only surmise it'd be like anything: when it hurts you notice how much of everything you do is involved with that body part; when fine you never even take notice. I would love to be seated in front of a fire pit with friends. Sounds great. And you'll stay on track too or I'll have to send you a "gentle reminder" haha! Enjoy your weekend at the lake!

BillBlueEyes Yay for your immune system! You're back at work. I am sure all those tomatoes helped you get better. I am hoping you have a restful weekend to get 100% better.

angelmomma210 Sorry to hear there is stress around your DH's job situation. It can be very murky these types of situations. BBE's advice was right on the money; document what you can! And don't turn to food to help yourself feel better. Food is not the cause of this situation so it cannot be the cure. Enjoy your Friday and your weekend!

RobinW DH's relationship with his mom is... limited. She tries hard but she doesn't really truly support her son. Is always surprised that I back him 100%. Has told me so. He means well, as all mom's do, just can't get that out in a positive way. Easier for me as she is not my mom and she adores me. Again, not my mom. She is a pessimistic person with her own take on the world that I have to "shake off". Her view is hard won, coming via many life disappointments. I understand why she is that way, and I find myself wanting to lift her up, or cheer her up, or make her laugh. Gee. No wonder she adores me. Wish it was that way with my own family. Alas, not so. we do what we can where we can right? Right.

twilit tera Good going on the Beck assignment to leave food on your plate. I truly believe it's going through all these small steps that absolutely keep us on track with our foodplans for the long haul. We practice the small behaviours and have success with them and then have a true knowledge of ourselves as people who can leave food on our plates. I know, for me (see last night) this type of behaviour can recur when my defenses are down. But I cannot stay that way or the weight will come back on and more. You are doing so well. And thanks for the comments about my photographs. I am trying to see things a-typically. Apparently I managed 3 compelling images and need only 3 more to complete this first assignment. She said I was "taking a conventional image/symbol and adding my own meaning to it". Thought that was a great comment to get, even if I don't know what I am consciously saying yet. I am still looking for the image that makes me go "Oh?! What is that?!"
What are you studying?

Well need to get ready for a trip to the school and the ceramic room. Have to get stuff from my locker and bring it home...aka homework

TGIF
Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches – The rains came down hard. Was good to see the new driveways shedding water toward the street rather than into my basement. Yeah for expensive masonry work. Went to a meeting last night with a table of home made goodies. Brownies were cut into very small pieces so I took one, only one, along with some strawberries and green seedless grapes. CREDIT moi.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yeah for being home. Yeah for power. Yeah for a happy el nino. Yeah for a tolerant cat. Yeah for IKEA. Yeah for faux-swedish names. Kudos for remaining sane when you're disappointed in the scale readings. I looked at the Bistro MD site; the food looks good (and everyone in the ads, even the delivery man, is trim, LOL).

onebyone – Yeah for sleeping in. LOL at asking your doctor about "kittyribitis." He did, however, give you a very CBT solution. Good luck on your scheduled "cheat day."

Robin (RobinW) - You've written the dieter's prayer: From issues that creep and bite me in the butt, Deliver us, Oh Lord. (Can you say butt in a prayer?) Great idea to restart Beck. Perhaps if anyone is lurking about wondering how to start or restart, they could jump in and make it a group.

shrinkin - Propose sainthood for your DH for going with you to try on dresses. Now that's true love. We finished off all 25 pounds of the heirloom tomatoes except for two remaining smaller ones saved for today - it was one joyous overindulgence. Ouch for the left elbow. Kudos for the neat Beck thinking about the chocolate cake.

… You can also experience biological triggers, such as hunger, thirst, or cravings (intense urges to eat). …" Beck, pg 29.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #173  
persist

Unhappy best laid plans

Good morning coaches.

Today is my free food day and I doubt I'll be enjoying it very much. TOM arrived and I am feeling achey, bloated, nauseous the whole kit and caboodle. Eating is the farthest thing on my to do list right now. O the irony.

BillBlueEyes Nice to see the effect of your labour (getting the masonry done by masonry workers) paying off! You are in for some rain as Kyle passes on by aren't you? Good going with the brownies and I am grateful that more people cut food up into smaller bits.

Going now. Must lie down. Enjoy your day for me Becksters!

Last edited by onebyone; 09-27-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #174  
Believe in Change

morning coaches,OP day yesterday all the way! Credit moi for interdigitating 3 diet cokes with 2 half glasses of wine to stay OP for alcohol...even with fire pit gathering. WOOHOO for avoiding gentle butt kick from onebyone. LOL. OK just have to persist in victory today.Thinking of you all..will send personals on Monday when have a real keyboard and screen. Great Saturday with positive energy to you.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #175  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - from the Ark

Diet Coaches – Rained most of the day like the great flood. Since I couldn't take my usual walk to the supermarket, I drove and filled four canvas bags with catch-up stuff for my lunches and whatever. The farmers' market is abundant with winter squashes and apples. DW served her to-die-for macaroni and cheese of which, in the past, I ate huge amounts. I carefully served myself while thinking that I only wanted to have a nominal serving even though I wouldn't have seconds. After I had served myself, I noted with satisfaction that I had taken no more than DW. And I didn't have seconds even with the dish sitting on the table. CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Ouch that it's your free food day and you're down with "the whole kit and caboodle." Yep, we got serious rain around here - unusual for us in that it fell straight down, silently. Not the usual nor'easter. Just remembering, have you dug out your old bicycle recently? Is it a candidate for participation in your renewed journey?

shrinkin - Kudos for "interdigitating" again, LOL. Great work that you take planned, active steps to stay the course in a festive fire pit event. Hope weather is nice up at the lake and hope your newly-found, nearby pool works out.

… There are also mental triggers: thinking about food, reading a description of food, recalling something you enjoyed eating (or a situation in which you didn’t eat and felt deprived), or thinking about food in the future. …" Beck, pg 29.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 09-28-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Acknowledge that Noah spelled it 'Ark'
Old 09-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #176  
persist

Default day 49/56 of my plan... wow.

Good Morning Coaches

Quote:
" Eating Begins with a Trigger
… recalling something you enjoyed eating (or a situation in which you didn’t eat and felt deprived), or thinking about food in the future. …" Beck, pg 29.
Just wanted to briefly comment on this. It is tricky to not get triggered when you get to plan for food in the future as in my foodplan. When I am given the permission to eat any item, well how do you deal with that? I think the knowledge that even though I can choose anything, I still have to eat only until satisfied and not stuffed takes a lot of the "free for all" party atmosphere out of it for me... as for "making up for not eating" and remembering feeling deprived, that's been a trigger for me for sure. It's a thought like "next time I will have the _____ that looked so great..." I would plan for it and plan to eat it all...make it happen. Food obsession. There are triggers for sure. It's amazing how often I planned my binges in advance...I doubt they ever really "just happened".

I'm giving myself a big for realizing that I am ending week 7 of my 8 week plan. I have just about completed one week of maintenance and am about to enter the last week of my program and can officially assess my progress. It's amazing to me that I have managed to follow any program for 7 weeks and it's not been all that hard. I think I have found what works for me. It feels magical... So happy.

Today I have to get onto the things I was planning to do yesterday when I was felled by my hormones and bodily functions. Top of the list is taking the bus and feeding my friend's cat! Poor Chloe will be starving... While out I'll pick up some fruit for the week and something for dinner. That'll be half my day right there, waiting for buses on a Sunday!

BillBlueEyes Ah mac and cheese. My grandmother used to make it with plain tomato juice, melted butter, (Hungarians melt either butter or pour bacon fat and/or lard on everything), and grated cheddar cheese. Still an all time favorite comfort food for me... Kudos on having a normal serving and no seconds. Alas my bike never made it out of doors. Still waiting. I did spot a large man riding a bike just like mine the other day. I thought he looked all right and it gave me hope to go do it already. Maybe tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow I will go. Will report in when I have done so. Need to get that monkey off my back.

shrinkin Nice work on negotiating the beverages around the fire! Credit toi for that! You are really workin' it girl!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #177  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - after Hurricane Kyle

Diet Coaches – So all that rain was from Hurricane Kyle. Oh Well, it's now gone. Hope our friends in Maine and Nova Scotia survived OK.

Was a laid back day as I continue through the recovery days of my summer cold. At a potluck lunch I was at the end of the line. Most of the entrees were gone, which immediately led to the rationalization to finish filling my plate from the dessert table. Ouch. I even told myself that an apple fritter contained fruit. Well, yes it did, but the slice of tiramisu didn't. Stayed within my calorie allowance, CREDIT moi, but hardly within a healthy eating allowance. Oh Well. For all the desserts that I didn't eat, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Kudos for completing 7 weeks - what an amazing journey. Is there a separate maintenance plan after the eight weeks, or is your last week - you say it's a maintenance week - the one you repeat forever as your maintenance plan?

Interesting thought, "It's amazing how often I planned my binges in advance...I doubt they ever really "just happened". " I do recognize that my desire can be for a binge of a food - like my desire for a Boston Cream Pie, not for a slice. Or my desire for a bag of cookies, not for a cookie. So, for you, "free day" planning smacks you square against that. Perhaps you can rename it to "Intuitive Eating day." That word "free" would sure trigger me to come unattached from my foundations.

LOL at your description of Hungarian cooking. Do you know of a modified "hungarian goulash" recipe that would be considered healthy eating? And good luck with your bicycle quest.

… Then there are emotional triggers. These are unpleasant feelings, such as anger, sadness, anxiety, frustration, or boredom. …" Beck, pg 29.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #178  
Believe in Change

Default Monday report

Morning coaches,

An OP weekend for calories. Two glasses of wine on Saturday instead of my standard one, but fit within my calories. Yesterday had home made pizza made with Bobli crust, grilled veggies, part skim cheese and Canadian Bacon. Nice change of pace but does require a fair amount of calories for the cheese. Made an Apple Crisp (substituted half splenda blend for brown sugar) and crisp made with oats. Alas, realized after it finished cooking that I was at end of calories from pizza, so NONE for me yet. Credit MOI for resisting the temptation to have it in spite of over limit. Will enjoy it today OP.

Giving myself credit for pool workouts both Saturday and Sunday, about 50 min each. Yup, onebyone, just thought of it as a miniivacation. At $3 a trip, it is a bargain. It is a great pool, fairly good sized with huge concrete decking, three story high wood ceiling and windows with high transoms on three sides that let in the outside. Two small, nicely hot whirlpools flank it. Only thing missing is a clock. Seems I always forget to look at my stored away watch to see exactly how long I am exercising, but waterproof watch should help with that and HR monitoring.

Weather was dreary all weekend, cloudy with some sprinkles and fairly strong wind. Did not get the boat out. Mutually decided with friends that our schedules would not mesh for dinner. OH WELL. Saved the agnst of figuring out the menus and staying OP. HORRAY for more time to relax.

Best part of weekend: met farmer Bob and got a few pounds of outstandingly sweet, huge cherry tomatoes, sweet slicing cucumber and corn that he had picked that morning. Also learned a bit about squash; he says that if you rinse the outside squash with 1 part bleach/10 parts water they will store nicely in basement until Feb. Doubt ours will survive our teeth that long. LOL. Bought three new varieties of squash to try...BBE, they probably still don't match your heirloom tomato weight. LOL. Anyone got squash recipes they really like and fit in your diet? I have one, but need to find some more.

BillBlueEyes-OH WELL for the less than optimmal menu. Multiple Credits for all the tempting things you walked by. Methinks the two toughest scenarios are potlucks and the wandering waiter appetizer receptions. Glad you are finally out of the Ark. DD in boston area was complaining their weekend plan to pick apples was derailed by the rain. By the way, trying some new varieties of apples is on my list of things to do this fall. Talking with Farmer Bob led to realization there is a big world of apples out there, most of which don't make it to the standard supermarkets.

onebyone-WooHoo for day 49! Not sure how I would handle "free day" but methinks it would be easy to tell self "OK, keep track of what you are missing out on so you can load up on it on free day." Methinks without mental diligence that is a real sabotage set up. Like BBE's idea of renaming the Day, Intuitive Eating or some other indicator that you are using your best judgment for healthy eating. Hope you convince yourself to get the bike out, but I know it can be some work to get it, as well as the brain, ready. One of my secret thoughts is to be able to get out the tandem bike next spring. It's clip in cleats worry me as I have had both knee and ankle trouble, and the thought of twisting those joints a bit is unnerving. Also have to remember how to trust DH in the lead seat. We have only had one fall in the past when he forgot to tell me he was stopping and to put my feet down. That memory is still there but less vivid than the memories of the fun rides together.

Hopefully, we will hear from RobinW, kuhljeanie, angelmomma210, twilit tera, and some of our other Becksters today. to all! Have a great OP Monday!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #179  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default busy weekend (shocking, i know :)

happy monday my coaches,

decided to go for it with Bistro MD (www.bistromd.com) and put in my order last night. i'll be on the 5-day plan, with snacks. this means that i won't have to do any shopping or cooking. i have a few planned weekly meal outings, and can store up those meals for the weekend. will still need to shop for el nino, but DH will figure out his own meals. he was willing to support me by going on the program too, even though he doesn't need to lose weight, but could stand to eat more healthfully (smaller meals throughout the day, more protein.) it's pretty spendy though, so i thanked him and told him that all i require in terms of support is the occassion "go on, girl" and not enabling me when i want to eat off-plan. he's so wonderful...how'd i get so lucky? my only concern is that Bistro MD, while healthy, is pretty low in calories. whenever i've gone below 1700 a day, i've been constantly hungry, although i do lose weight, which i generally don't at higher calories. i may have to make peace with the fact that i need to tolerate a lot more hunger to lose weight. that just doesn't seem right - or maybe it doesn't seem fair? i was actually hungry in my sleep last night. i dreamed about being hungry, and woke up hungry. ate a reasonable breakfast at 7:45, and have been hungry ever since. the only period when i consistently lost weight, i was hungry the whole time, and eventually quit the plan because of hunger. so, coaches, what do you think of that? the plan includes free access to dieticians, so i'll have folks to ask about this. what has your experience been?

had a busy weekend - state chapter of cake decorating guild had an education day in columbus, and high school friends had a party pre-20 yr reunion next year. was a lot of fun, but we still have tons of laundry and cleanup to attend to from the storm. it'll all get done eventually so i'm working on doing a little at a time. the cincinnati house is pretty much ready to be listed, so i'm relieved about that. even though we haven't technically moved out, we could be ready to go inside of a week. yay.

onebyone, i am absolutely delighted that you found the right plan for yourself!!! this is a tremendous accomplishment. just wonderful. completely understand the idea of planning a binge. they don't just happen, although the idea of them sometimes seems to just happen. i suspect that they're a result of ignoring other feelings, and after a while they start to seem like a good idea. i managed to get out of one thursday night by telling DH that i was feeling like a sweets binge. he asked me what was really bothering me. good man, that one. sounds like your "free" day is coming along nicely from a mindset standpoint! bill, you continue to inspire! i think you could do a healthy goulash if you adjusted a little bit. start with a traditional recipe, like this one: http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/goulash.html
substitute 1 T olive oil or a spritz of Pam for cooking the onions and beef, use lean beef tips or skinless chicken breasts. i'd probably simmer in a little water or white wine, and substitute fat-free sour cream. for the dumplings, you could try egg whites only, with whole wheat flour. not sure if that'd work or not, but worth playing with. let me know how it comes out! shrinkin, giant kudo for refraining from eating apple dessert when you had already met your calorie goal for the day. just tremendous! there's a great recipe called 3 sisters stew in the lowfat moosewood cookbook that uses squash. i can't remember it offhand, but it uses corn, squash, and beans (the native American 3 sisters) for a really wonderful fall stew. DH loves it. i have no idea where our cookbooks are right now, or i'd try and find it for you! robin, i probably ought to join you on (yet another) re-start. are you using the workbook or the regular book?

i've got to stop THINKING ABOUT FOOD! argh. yoga starts soon! that'll help.

cheers, everyone!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 09-29-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #180  
persist

Default enormous to-do list today

Good Morning Coaches

Got up this morning and was faced with a giant homework to-do list. My time between classes and after class are spoken for as well so must get almost all of this work done today. Have doubts I will succeed. I am prioritizing but it seems that everything needs to be done today: something needs to be glued (I am making a collograph = big printing plate composed of matteboard foundation on which thin cardboard is cut out and glued down into your pattern/image. The raised areas hold the ink and get printed. Could also use string, ribbon, mesh etc to make patterns... I have my images just need to do it is all ... and the glue needs two days to dry, and since tomorrow is spoken for and I need it Thursday I have to do this today. I need to write two paragraphs relating the secret stories of the two books I am currently making and I am stumped. Real writer's block here. Think perfectionism is stopping me. Also, need to collage/paint/write 8 more pages in my sketchbook for Wed morning and for handing in... not lightweight stuff either and have to get some drawings ready for my class tomorrow afternoon as I am heading to the clay studio to start work on that project. These I may be able to do tomorrow morning? maybe? Have the best idea for this project over all the others. I am putting off the Thursday afternoon photographs that are required of me, includingn downloading the software that I have to put the images into...think this is easy (?) Hope so. I have three good shots, need three more and think I have scouted the location I can can get them at. 1/3 of the way there for completion of this project. Don't know what happened to all my time. Slept most of it away. Needed it. No regrets.

Felt all over the map yesterday food-wise. Ate off plan throughout the day and off the crucial schedule of every 3 hours. Did not overeat just not as I had planned. Was still feeling off from the day before. I have started OP this morning and it's a big OH WELL to the folly of yesterday.
Making it a priority to get my water in: 100 oz minimum. Have not been doing that end of things and need to. So far I have had 24oz as I write this.

BUT credit moi for putting the gingham white cotton daisy embroidered kitchen curtains up. Have not completed the kitchen with the sunny yellow paint, have not cleaned it up, have not arranged it but did get the curtains up so I am no longer irritated by the kid next door who likes to take a small hammer and hammer the truck of the pine tree in my line of sight from that window. he also likes to peer in shamelessly... ALSO got curtains up in the living room... new ones and they look good. Much more opaque (needed that for the same reason but here more kids like to torment the trees out back, and look in. Irritating as ****.) DH and I both feel claustrophobic with the curtains up and drawn closed but we will get used to it. makes pour place feel much smaller though... and I so love the natural light...

shrinkin I can't wait to get back in the pool. You remind me of that with your pool reports. My all time favorite time to be at the pool is in the Fall and Winter. Feels like a real break and a holiday for sure. Plus the pool where I will be going has giant windows to the outside. I am really excited to see the snow whirling about outside as I swim in the warm water... it makes me feel very fortunate to be able to do that.
Quote:
Not sure how I would handle "free day" but methinks it would be easy to tell self "OK, keep track of what you are missing out on so you can load up on it on free day."
Oh you got it sister! It's like being let loose on the world! And yeah, I can tell it could be major sabotage mentally and emotionally if not handled skillfully. Speaking of which I ma getting ready to face the scale tomorrow and I ma holding water like crazy, 6lbs as of this morning so I am expecting to feel disappointment tomorrow. It's not "real" so it may not even be there tomorrow, but feeling the stress of getting all this pressing homework done I can fall into a negative space. Don't want to, can't afford to do that. Will feel more positive once I get those projects done.

BillBlueEyes Hello! These final two weeks are the maintenance weeks. Apparently some people can continue on them and they will still lose weight and for some others, they will hold firm and not gain and as such can eat in this final pattern of carb cycling for the rest of their days. I believe it. I actually could. You have one day a week without restrictions and you can rearrange schedules in this plan easily to accommodate your life and event and if you mess up there are ways to correct before it becomes weight that will not come off in a day or two or three in my case... Now for those of us like me who have more to lose, we are required to do the 2 weeks of maintenance and then we can re-start at week 2 of the program (not the severe week 1 hallelujah) and just do the cycles again. That's my plan. People who are doing this along with me on another board have all come to the conclusion that the first 8 week cycle you do is really a steep learning curve and everytime we approach the cycles a-new we get a chance to apply what we have learned from before. It's really remarkable. I am looking forward to round 2, and for myself what will be added is more regular activity.
Hopefully I'll have the gym membership by next Monday and an appt to see Nadine the trainer next week too for an updating of my program and an assessment of my progress. Definitely not as scary this time!

kuhljeanie Happy to hear form you and of your plans to move forward with Bistro MD. Kudos for finding a plan that suits your circumstances and for getting support from loved ones. It makes a huge difference in success or failure! As for tolerating hunger, on my plan I am rarely hungry so I like that! I am glad you can consult with dieticians I think it would be tough to stick to something if you were always hungry... I know that with protein based, several small meals, my hunger switch is mostly off. perhaps the same things will happen with you? I really believe eating more frequently is a big big key to success: there is never a time when you get super starving and then eat way way way past full. And of course we all now know that hunger is not an emergency and we have practiced tolerating hunger so you are much better equipped to face these things at this point than what you are remembering from a past self right? Right!

Everyone have a great day!

Last edited by onebyone; 09-29-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Closed Thread