Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #61  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default The beginning and the end all in one day

I made it to the gym!!!
it took me from 5:20 to 6:45 to do the workout that Nadine the personal trainer set up for me a month ago.
Wow. It was hard but I did it.
I did this for 30 minutes and resistance workout for about 55 minutes Still did not do thisas it was almost 7pm and the last express bus home was going by at 7. Ducked out of there to catch the bus home.

I did chores this morning and managed to get to my hair appt right on time at 1pm. Then Marie the hairdresser and I chatted for quite some time. Got out of there at 2:20. i like my haircut very much! So then I walked to the school and ran into my classmates (I got exempted from the Monday graphic arts class) and said many and varied hellos and then had an indepth conversation with two friends. left school at 5:00 without having done any work in the ceramic room at all. There's always tomorrow. Class is at 1 so I have all morning to work in there. I'm planning to go to the gym in the morning. Hopefully to swim for 30 minutes, but if it's too busy I'll do the treadmill for 30. I need to consult with Nadine as to whether it is okay to do the weights two days in a row. Always thought you had to wait a day in between workouts... wonder if that's still true? Anyway I'll know soon enough on that. Cardio is good on any day.

I can't think in advance on all the stuff ahead of me. I have an extremely demanding schedule until the end of October. It's really just one day at a time. And tomorrow is my first class: advanced studio. Nobody can explain what this class is. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Looks like I may be able to do some painting during that class though. Didn't expect that.

Oh and as an added bonus I found my Beck Workbook! It was in the bag I decided to use for my gym clothes...how appropriate eh?

shrinkin Your dedication to working out came to mind as I was hoisting a 10lb dumbell this evening. Regular workouts are not sissy stuff and that you did not use the excuse of your pool being cleaned...so great! And since you checked those three out, you now have back-ups for later when you need them. That's some serious planning for success! But this is also shown by your thinking ahead for your trip. Fantastic.

RobinW I read your post about making soups and thought that I could cook that chicken up so it'd be ready for me for tomorrow. I am trying to plan ahead too. Thanks for the reminder... and kudos to you for your successful roadtrip!

cholekai Hi! I would get the workbook and go from there. if you need the other materials you can always get them. For me, I liked the workbbok casue it's set up like Day One: Review the Advantages of Dieting and then the chapter is broken down into bits that can be checked off as you go. There are lots of things to check off and fill in even before you get to day one in the book. I found it helpful, and dedicated myself to filling in the book.
You can't go wrong with it IMHO.

kuhljeanie well! Look who's feeling better. That's good to hear. And you are flagging down that wagon eh? Great! Funny how the motivation to get back on track comes sometimes. We never know but if we stay open to the possibility that things can turn around for us, they often will.

coastalsue!!!So happy to see you post! You've been on my mind.And you're back with a plan to get healthy. I agree, with time pressures it is difficult to plan and then on the other end if you are too tired you just want to go to bed... been there done that just this weekend in fact. Trick is to get right back OP. So glad you are back.

QuilterInVA Congrats on your success for week 1 round 2! I hope to also resist eating to calm stress. I think I may be 60/40 toward success with that one. Better but needs work. Good to hear it can be done!

BillBlueEyes I wish I knew why a quantity of certain food is really irresistible. Maybe it's a territorial thing: All this good stuff is mine mine mine and you can't have any... Kudos to you for resisting. That is hard to do.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #62  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi kuhljeanie......here is my recipe.

Cream of Curry Broccoli Soup

1 med. onion
2 tsp curry
2tbsp butter
1lb bag of broccoli cuts
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream

~saute onion in butter
~add curry when onions are soft
~toss in broccoli and liquids....simmer covered for 15-20 min.

Puree in blender or food processor.
Put back in pot and add sour cream and lemon juice. Stir gently, do not boil, just rewarm until sour cream is well mixed.

I cut the butter in half, and use fat free sour cream to lighten the recipe a bit.

Enjoy

Last edited by RobinW; 09-09-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #63  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Kara (cholekai)

Kara (cholekai)

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post on 3FC

How did you find out about Beck? And how did you find our discussion group here?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #64  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – hmmmm.... overate at my monthly evening meeting where we spend 30 minutes sitting at the potluck table with new food continuously arriving. The volume wasn't terrible, nor were the food choices. But the grazing-without-limits feeling very definitely arose, and that's scary. Oh Well. I had a good walk there, including walking home after dark through the nearby neighborhoods - a different view. CREDIT moi.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for making specific immediate goals to get back on track. Really good to hear that you're OK although super busy and struggling to keep up with your program. Is there room for swimming on your schedule? Thanks for remembering that I'm nearly to my one year here. Come back in two days when I'll post my anniversary.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - WOW - your trip to India sounds amazing. Kudos for using that as an incentive to get your wagon rolling. I like your theory about a pile of food triggering the drug reaction. It seems to fit the examples I can think of, including my desire not for a slice of Boston Cream Pie, but for a whole Boston Cream Pie. Continuing to send supportive thoughts to you guys as you work though your current situations.

onebyone – Kudos for the marathon gym session. Yep, I think giving muscles 48 hours to heal and regrow is real; without that period to regrow you don't get the benefit of the workout and the muscles can ache. But Meg and a few other experts on the other threads can give you a definitive response.

Robin (RobinW) - That Cream of Curry Broccoli Soup sound yummy. As a non-cook though, I need to ask how much is "1/2 sour cream?" Neat that you can start the wrapping business before making the large investment.

shrinkin - Kudos for "50 min workout" and BIG Kudos for "FOURTH pool of the week" - not that's a lesson in determination for the rest of us! Sounds like you're doing good planning for your travels to your niece's wedding.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Yeah for surviving Hurricane Hanna with only a little debris. Kudos for being OP on your whole (repeated) first week of Beck.

Kara (cholekai) – Yep, you are definitely welcome. Ouch for the surgery with complications. Kudos for looking to Beck to get back on your weight loss track. Yep, Beck can be done without an exercise program, but are there some exercises that can be done in bed - some arm exercises with light weights? (My FIL does some arm exercises in bed using cans of soup for weights, LOL.) Look forward to hearing more from you. I don't have a strong opinion whether to use the book, workbook, or audio of Beck. I use the book; those who have both say that it has some extra chapters that aren't in the workbook. I keep my food log, exercise log, checklists, and Response Cards on my computer in various forms.

Readers – "How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet
Sabotaging thoughts undermine your confidence.

These are the thoughts you have after you’ve eaten something you think you shouldn’t. For example, instead of just saying to yourself, Okay, I made a mistake … I shouldn’t have eaten that, but I can start eating in a better way right now, you say, It’s so terrible that I ate that .. I’m so weak ... I’m just not going to be able to lose weight.Beck, pg 28.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #65  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Tuesday update

Coaches,
A totally OP day for calories! Not a planned exercise day; I sure needed the day off after two pool days in a row. Off to the the Y pool this morning and still revelling in getting in 4 pool days in the 8 days the Y pool was closed.

Rereading Day30 Staying in Control While Eating Out, especially section on Celebrations and Special Events. Suspect control of sabotage biggest need for the weekend wedding festivities. For example. "It is sad that I can't eat everything I want." Instead: It is so WONDERFUL that I can stick with my plan and lose weight. Need to read this chapter several times.

Kara, I use the book, which does include a daily to do checklist. Have not needed to invest in workbook or CDs, so cant speak to which is better.

Welcome back coastalsue. Nice that you and some of the old Beck friends (or rather Beck friends for a long time) are still in touch. Kudos for working to create time and energy for your planning and food prep!

Quilter-glad you are safe and kudos OP for a full week! Congrats!

BBE-a bit scary for the rest of us when you are "shaky", feeling out of control...but credit to you for being back confident of food control! Yup, you are the Commander in War on Food.

onebyone-woohoo for workout! 10 lb dumbbell...you must have some strong arms already!

Robin-may just have to try that soup...do need the measure on that sour cream.

Jean-envy that India trip! A great motivator! I am not in specific training...just have to do pool workout because I have old knee and ankle problems. Don't think that I can reach your triathalon status...but would like to see if I can return to bike riding in the spring. DH and I have a tandem that is a gorgeous bike. DD and DSIL want it if we don't use it...So, have to either get with it, or give it away.

Woke up late so got to get moving to the pool.

Great day all!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #66  
persist

Talking Tuesday and back to class

Good morning coaches

Jumped on the scale for official weigh-in and I am down 1.6lbs from last Tuesday. This accomplishment deserves the 254.2 now. I totally believe I can do it. Exciting. I feel I am entering unknown territory with the dedication to my foodplan, the start at the gym, the new haircut and the desire to clean up my cluttered house. Many many changes for me, good solid ones. Stuff I have not been able to do before. Wow. It's all good. And I am having a "persist in victory" thought so I will stop there and plan for my day. Just wanted to share with you guys I'm feeling good and hopeful. Hope you are too.

Well, I woke up all achey and sore in a few places. Signs of having been to the gym. I hope to contact Nadine about a few of the exercises that I think I had bad form on. That's what happens when you wait a month after you've been taught something new to finally do it.

I had a very restless sleep last night. Anticipating the day today and the week ahead. I have class this afternoon at 1 and before I go to class, I want to get a cardio session in at the gym and the some of the needed work done in the ceramic studio before the class starts up tomorrow (maybe even tonight?). I had vague worries like where is my notebook, do I have one, wherer are my pencils, do I have the right ones...that kind of stuff...what will i wear.. The thoughts were just enough to keep me from having a sound sleep. Probably that won't come now until after I see what my classes are about this week. Then it'll be my "new normal'. I think there is a pizza and beer welcome night this week for the new students. We are encouraged to attend as they have scheduled 2 speakers, both recent grads of my school, who have gone on to take art residencies! Apparently this is now the way to go instead of going for the MFA... get into a residency program. I heard there was a good one for, get this, women book artists, and since I am focusing on making books..well... a girl can dream.

And I think I will restart the Beck book again since I found it. Can see it coming in real handy as the months go on.

RobinW That soup recipe looks good. I have a great one for butternut squash and super easy. When I find it I'll post it for us. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE soup the best!

BillblueeyesOMG potlucks. Yep, had my own run-in this past weekend with the potluck at the farmer's market. You don't ever want to be faced with a table of goodies made by professional market food vendors. Yikes. A case of inverted Beck: no-choice-must-eat-resistance-is-futile HALF the table was dessert! And everyone was drinking beer. Your reaction says to me you truly value your accomplishments and do not want to see your new WOL slip away from you. methinks this kind of valuing of my own accomplishments food-wise has been missing for me. i tend to take things for granted once I have them and let them slip away. not this time. My battle with the 250's has taught me my weight no longer slips on and slips off. It's of a stickier trickier ilk now. It does stick to my bones and fights to be let loose. I have to be tenacious. So every 1/2lb really is a big deal. Thanks for the reminder of this BBE.

Off to eat porridge.

Have a great day coaches and find some happiness today if at all possible! (Me too )

Last edited by onebyone; 09-09-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #67  
Lovin' Life

that would be 1/2 cup sour cream ....I'll go back and fix that.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 250/234/150

Hi all. I've just hit a milestone, so I thought it would be a good time for one of my infrequent hellos.

Hi to the folks who've been around for a while (Jeannie, Bill, OnebyOne,Sue). Congrats on still hanging on and your successes.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been Beck'ing since February 18, and have now lost 65lbs. (62 of them since starting Beck) And, my BMI has gone from 40.4 (just into morbidly obese), through obese, to 29.8 (just into overweight). Only someone who's been really heavy can understand the joy of being overweight!!! I want to lose another 30-35 pounds.

For the most part, I continue to do well, eating according to South Beach, with some minor flexibility and modifications, with moderate exercise (at least a 2 mile walk, Curves, a swim, or a bike ride) about 6 days a week. The highlight of my summer was a 2 week trip to VA and NC with a lot of walking and hiking, and a 1 pound weight loss for the vacation!!! It's so great to be so much more active than I was when I started this, and really enjoying it.

I have been struggling a little bit at night, sometimes eating extra food...particularly nuts, and getting a bit too much into tasting food when I cook. I keep telling myself that "it does matter", while part of me has this "who cares, it's only a little extra food" thing going. So far, luckily, it's not led to more serious binging and it doesn't happen every night, but it is a challenge.

I don't tend to look at my response cards often, but many of the responses are part of my self-talk. I think that's probably the intent.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #69  
Lovin' Life

Morning

onebyone~ WTG on your loss!! I would love that squash soup recipe. With weather cooling off, I eat alot more of it. Its an easy lunch too.

barpos~ I so understand!! Making it into "just overweight" is a big accomplishment. Great job!!

Confession time.....I crashed and burned last night Too much wine, too much food.....just too much! Im giving it a fresh start this morning.
With hopefully a new attitude. Sometimes I beat myself up too much, and think I dont deserve to be fit/happy/healthy. It all got the better of me last night. I also think I need to get back into the OA meetings along with using Beck as my weightloss tools.

Today is the start of getting totebags done in time for a conference in 3 weeks. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #70  
persist

Thumbs up Thank you coaches for your support.

Hey Coaches

Just reporting in that I went to the gym this morning and swam in the pool for 30 minutes before my first class today.(The pool is a salt water pool! Awesome! That was the only drawback for me, the chlorine and now it's not even an issue...wow.) Looks like I'll be able to workout and go to school afterall. it was great to be only a 5 minute walk away from school too. I am supersore now though. Was already sore this morning. I ma planning on going to the gym before my 9am class tomorrow for a 30min cardio workout. Will have to leave here around 7? Yeah. *shudder* I love to go into the sauna after my workout for about 15 minutes so need to amek sure there is ebough time for than adn a shower. So my 30 min workout turns out to be 35min travel+30 cardio+15sauna+5minwalk=85min ... an hour and 20min... Yeah. I have to be at the gym by 7:30. Okay. Wow. Do I have a tight schedule or what? BUT tomorrow is movie day and carb up day so it'd popcorn and pasta or pizza! Woohoo! (hmm should pack my lunch tonight...!)

Just wanted to report my success CREDIT MOI for getting to the gym and for being OP for 37 days.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 PM   #71  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Smile Wednesday morning report...on Tuesday night

Normally do a morning report, but I have some deadlines in the am and won't have time. So, coaches, my report for my Tuesday behavior is...

OP for calories I think. Challenging late afternoon because got hungry and had craving for ice cream (weird). Survived the craving but decided to deal with hunger by having some deli low fat ham, and then had some blueberries and 1 oz cheese. Had just decided I would have to do a light supper as I had already had these unexpected calories when DH called and said "I want to treat you to dinner out." (He is travelling for next two days). So, off we go to dinner. Met him at fish restaurant and fessed up to having already eaten quite a bit. Failed to ask how menu items prepared. Bruschetta appetizer arrived with bruschetta embedded in cheese on top of HUGE pieces of bread. Removed topping from most of it and placed on one piece of bread. CREDIT MOI. Ordered shrimp and scallops for entree , BUT arrived swimming in creme. GRR...did not ask what "Americana" meant on the menu. Drained a couple of shrimp and scallops before eating them SLOWLY. Skipped the potatoes entirely. Asked to have entree remaining packed for home and will have for dinner tomorrow night. CREDIT MOI. So, from the best I can calculate calories are OP for today. WHEW....not easy.

Great exercise day. Y pool is just WAY better than any other local pool. Did 53 min of cardio (yup they have that huge lap clock that is easy to see and easy to count HR). It felt great! Also got my shoulder and elbow exercises in today!

Tomorrow will reread Day 29: Resist Food Pushers....more getting ready for the travel. Closer it gets, the more anxiety.

onebyone-Sounds like we are both getting an exercise "high". Challenge is to not get too sore. Another 1.6 pounds...WTG!

RobinW-OUCH for the crash and burn! Methinks there are some thinking mistakes surfacing on that "I don't deserve.." You will nip that sabotage in the bud cuz you know you deserve it and that you can succeed. Sending you some on tackling those totebags.

Barbpos-Thanks for returning to the Beck Board! "Just overweight" is a big step! WOW for your continuing success and loving that the response card repetition translated to a change in your self-talk. Flexing your resistance muscle on those tempting evening nuts. Awesome. Great example for us relative newbies.

to BillBlueEyes-Won't get to see your post at my usual early morning time, but will pick it up later in the day...looking foward to it!

Greetings to all and sending a great Wednesday...in advance!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches – Good news: the pavers for my new driveway were delivered. So, it's really gonna happen. Yeah for progress in the little things in life. On my walk I had the Sabotaging Thought that I could just turn back now; I'd done enough. But kept going. For that, CREDIT moi. I continue to wish that I'd have no such thoughts and living the life of a thin person would happen automatically. I see automatically-ish in some parts of my life, but I think that expectations that include automatically aren't particularly realistic. I greatly appreciate the demonstrations by so many contributors to this thread of getting back on track. It encourages me when I think that it should be easier.

Barbara (barbpos) – Congrats for the big milestone of 65 pounds, with particularly BIG Congrats for the pound lost on vacation. Kudos for continuing to practice you plan and make steady progress. It's encouraging to hear that you got "self-talk" working for you.

onebyone – Just moving on and moving on. Kudos for "supersore" since you got that the hard way. You are making such a big transition this fall. Hope your classes meet your expectations.

Robin (RobinW) - Ouch for crash and burn. Kudos for getting right back on track and figuring out what you need. Good luck on that totebag order; I get those at conferences all the time and never stop to think that a person at some business worked hard the weeks before to get them done on time. (Will now wonder for any conference that doesn't have totebags whether it's due to missed deadline by the vendor, LOL.)

shrinkin - Kudos for 53 minutes of cardio back at your own Y' pool. LOL at "did not ask what "Americana" meant on the menu." Good recovery on that dinning experience. I do appreciate the effort you put into posting so regularly; as the Little Prince would note, the great thing is anticipating your posts.

Readers – "How Thoughts can Sabotage Your Diet
Sabotaging thoughts undermine your confidence.

"These are also the kind of thoughts you might have when you see the scale go up, even though you’ve been eating properly. Instead of saying to yourself, Okay, no big deal … I should just keep on doing what I’ve been doing and the scale will probably go down next week – and if it doesn’t, I can solve the problem then, you say to yourself, This is terrible … This is never going to work … I may as well give up now.” Beck, pg 28.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #73  
persist

Default Hellllooooooo!

Hello Coaches

Well I went to bed very sore last night and woke up only a little bit sore this morning. I set my alarm clock for 7 = enough time to get to class but not to the gym. I told myself if I needed the sleep I would take it, if not, I'd be awake and could get to the gym before class. So, I needed the sleep. Not surprised there. Today is movie day and with my schedule change due to school comes a change in theatres and DH and I will meet in the far west end for the show. Better theatre, better chairs by $2, free popcorn on Wednesdays for members (that's us), more expensive and will smuggle in drinks for us. it's the $4.75 cola (diet and not) that makes it a $30 outing instead of a $20 thing. Will have my school bag so it's easy to tuck a pop or two in there. Stll planning on the freepopcorn.

This morning I have Art and Criticism. Looking forward to it but my brain is still sleepy. Seems like a class you need your full brain for. And also a class where we are to keep an artist journal. Well we'll see as we go.

I've pack two snacks for meals 2 and 4, before and after the lunch we will have pre-movie. DH left me a note he wants to do that. Luckily I can plan for that!

Better go. Getting late and I can't miss that bus. Will do a workout tomorrow. Maybe do some walking today. Maybe. I'm TIRED! Will check in later to keep myself on track today.

Have a fantastic Wednesday!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 185/176/150

Height: 5'7"

Been MIA but I am back and committing to this. Has been a busy few weeks, we just put two of our kids back in school after homeschooling for 5 years, and it has been a challenge getting back on someone elses schedule, and meeting deadlines etc. I have had to wake up at 5am and am usually in bed by 9:30 after spending a few hours with the kiddos on homework, But I will make time to work through the book. Going to grab it now.
Also I have been following ww for a month and have lost about 10 pounds. It is my TOM so I gained 2, I am feeling I may need a bit more structure for a time so I placed an order with medifast. I ordered only two weeks worth of products just to give me a little push, then I will probably go back to ww again.
well off to read....
Amy
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #75  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

good morning my coaches,

mazel tov to all of you! the consistency in coming back to it over and over again is really inspiring. onebyone, i can't tell you how tickled i am to hear you talking about being sore. i actually LOVE being a little sore. it's a little gentle reminder that my body is full of active muscles, and that i'm taking good care of myself. makes it tougher for my mind to slip into uncaring binge mode when my body is humming with happy about yesterday's workout.

i'm still doing well, too. been OP since my moment friday night. we're leaving in a few hours for our annual vacation to colorado for the telluride blues and brews festival (www.tellurideblues.com) and i don't see myself falling off the wagon again just for that. it's such a pain getting back on! colorado is also a pretty healthy place to vacation. i'll carry el nino in the backpack when we hike and walk (and it's a lot of hiking.) will focus on whole foods, too. dh is happy to eat at healthy restaurants and we've agreed to focus on making this vacation a time to take good care of our bodies and rest our minds. so, here's to that!

not sure that i'll be posting regularly for the next week and a half, but i'll be lurking!
Closed Thread