3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/147919-beck-diet-solution-%96-august-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

shrinkin 08-26-2008 02:15 PM

Quick comments

kulhjeanie-that is one awsome cake! :carrot::carrot: Not sure what it is you did not like about it. :?:

Looking forward to pix of wrapped cars and "the blue room". :D

One just never knows what may appear on this board...lots of talents!

RobinW 08-26-2008 03:25 PM

WOW those are fake flowers made of icing stuff?!?!?!? Very cool!

onebyone 08-26-2008 04:32 PM

nice.

kuhljeanie your cake is one of simple elegance. And you know, the simpler something is, the more work and sweat and tears went into it... it's looks great cause you did a great job!

Don't worry about the binge. Especially don't dwell on it and make it into some reason to beat yourself up. You are human and you turned to an old behaviour to deal with stress.
So what? Big deal.
I can pretty much say that everyone who has ever posted to this Beck thread has done that more than once. I'd go out on a limb and say that. And be very very grateful you never learned the skill of purging. Now that is not something to wish for for sure. I have known a few purgers... very very addictive behaviour. I am glad I never went that route either. for me, I look to feel full, and sometimes to feel so full I would hurt...why would I empty myself out? Knock on wood, those extreme eating days are in the past. As for you, it's okay, it's just for now, do what you can to get through. When are you in your new house anyway? And how far away are you moving? Also, keep some good snacks with you so you don't get overwhelmed by hunger... when I get super busy I try to make myself boil a half dozen eggs at night, and then take two or three with me. They'll keep like that for a few days in the fridge. You could easily eat them in the car. Maybe a few cheese slices too? It's protein you need my friend. That'll take the edge off. Even a little bit every three hours. I swear since I started having bit of protein on that schedule most days the cravings for food are gone. I won't say every day cause I get triggered by more than a physical craving the protein satisfies... if i see something or smell something or remember something... that can still do it... and probably always will. Just a part of me I suppose. Just keep going. So sorry your world is still so hard. One day, it'll be better. You'll see.:hug: Keep posting.

BillBlueEyes 08-27-2008 05:21 AM

Wednesday

Diet Coaches – Unexpected small challenge: at a weekly meeting of six of us, one guy brought in homemade brownies. Now, I'm used to ignoring pastries and donuts and even wrapped chocolates at meetings, but this was more in-my-face, offered personally by the guy who baked then, more visible whether I took one or didn't. I didn't, for the odd reasons that I wasn't hungry and I would have lunch in an hour. But I felt a stronger pull than usual, along with a dreaded Sabotaging Thought: I can have that because I've progressed pretty far in this maintenance thing. CREDIT moi for staying on plan. Oh Well for encountering a brownie that "fought back." Hoping all the desirable foods don't get organized and attack together, LOL.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Big Kudos for taking care of yourself with a long hot bath and going to bed. And Kudos for skipping dinner when not hungry - what a good reminder that we can use hunger to decide when to eat. Ouch for the eating at work; stuff happens when we're over-stressed and over-tired. Continuing to send best supportive thoughts to the three of you.

onebyone – LOL that you "enjoy a good bad movie." Kudos for one more day on plan. That's a new one for me, "going to the blue room" for going outside. Gotta try that and see if anyone knows what I'm saying.

Robin (RobinW) - Congrats on your anniversary; Ouch for the "foodfest." I like rereading Beck; different points jump out at me on subsequent reads.

shrinkin - Just terrific that you "noted how much easier it is to walk." Is that because of your regular swimming? Thanks for the new word; I had to go look it up: "perseverate - psychology: repeat a response after the cessation of the original stimulus; 'The subjects in this study perseverated.' " I, too, wish that I didn't spend so much time thinking about food. I take solace in the thought from this site that "No one eats healthy by accident." But, I'd accept slightly more accidental, LOL. My taste of the Ground Cherry was more like a tomato with a touch of pineapple - not cherry at all. Interesting question, "relatively easy, ie no struggle?" Sometimes little struggle, but yesterday's brownie was a bit.

Readers – "Do you ever feel as if you eat automatically, that eating is somehow out of your conscious control? Many of the dieters I’ve worked with certainly have felt this way at times." Beck, pg 26.

onebyone 08-27-2008 07:43 AM

week 3 day 3

Hello coaches

The fantastic start to my day deteriorated yesterday.I went out to buy my white paint, came home with something...not really a paint...more like the stuff in a can that's transparent that needs pigment added to it to make it a paint that has a colour and that actually changes the colour of a surface when applied to the surface. Sigh. Disappointing. Apparently "white" on a can does not equal the colour white which is solid and opaque. Also, when getting ready to get to the space, the sliver of wall I was going to work on to finish the paint job, well, upon moving my table which had a few small plants and a plant light and many other things that pile up there, as we moved the table, two legs detached (IKEA particle board top with small metal screws), and the thing came crashing down in slow motion. This right after DH said to me "You're not going to take everything off the table and move it?" I didn't answer him, thinking to myself "I have no where to put anything" (clutterific like I said yesterday). So to his credit he did not say I told you so but did stomp back downstairs. After that, I didn't cry, but did feel total defeat at the hands of my clutter and my attempt to beautify the place. I did start to akke room upstairs for the plant stand to be re-assembled. I did fix the table legs to discover that the 2 grey legs are not the same height as the two black legs:?: Put something under the leg to prop it up...makes me think that table was going to collapse at any time. Now I have somewhere to bring 1/3 of the stuff that was in that corner. Other things need sorting and disposing.
I had hoped to get the kitchen and the living room done by next Monday. We'll see what I manage to do. I feel like I can't but so what? I will continue. TODAY I will finish the blue room.

And, I stepped on the scale and while it is not moving up, it is exactly the same 256.4. I wanted to see movement there, for it to go down! I need to re-group and re-read others experiences cause this morning I felt discouraged. I'm a bit better now, after posting here and will be out the door soon as I have to register at school today.

And on that note I'd better go. Will check in again later.

shrinkin 08-27-2008 08:20 AM

Wednesday report

Good morning, coaches!

A reasonably good day yesterday. Within range for calories and did a full 45 min in the pool. Reread Beck Days 1 and 2 yesterday. Methinks I may want to add a couple statements to make ARC more specific with some shorter term goals in addition to the longer term general ideas. More thought about that in the next few days.

Not a weigh in day today but scale down 2.5 pounds. Lack of scale movement for many days may be why I was more obsessive about diet. Fear of no progress does funny things to the mind. Old me would look at "no progress" as step before "no point in this". New me focuses on knowing that staying with plan will result in success...just may be slower than I would like. OH WELL. Slow progress is better than going backwards.

BBE-Thanks for continuing to lead the charge on the "War on Food", but glad to hear that you have progressed to only occasionial skirmish. Gives hope to the rest of us. Extra credit for resisting the triple threat of brownies, homemade by colleague in presence of small group and with annoying sabotage thought. Yup, I think the deep water walking aerobics has given me much stronger legs and cardiac ability too. Starting to feel it in daily living...great! Will hold onto "No one eats healthy by accident."

kuhljeanie-Ouch for the binge. Kudos for taking care of yourself, getting rest and relaxing a bit. You are overdue. :D that bride called you...it doesn't get any better than that!

onebyone-Hope you had a good bad movie and did a repeat performance of the packed lunch and coffee! Looking forward to blue room artistry pix.

RobinW-Road trip can be a challenge. Hope you do get to review a couple of Beck chapters. Think how great it will be to come back from Indy and report that you did your plan! You can do it...believe it, believe it. Wonder how much practice it takes to wrap a car.

Sending a special :angel: to QuilterInVA...if you are reading, hope that knee is making progress. Hang in there!

Off for a second cup of hot coffee...then onward to today!

wanting to 08-27-2008 10:55 AM

Is this group open for anyone to join? Will the same group be here after the first of the month? I just found my copy of the book, and started to read it yesterday. I would like some support to get through it.
Thanks.

RobinW 08-27-2008 01:26 PM

Afternoon!

wantingto~ yup we'll be here :) Bill usually starts up a new thread for the month, so look for that.

Bill~ great going on refusing the brownie!!!! That's one scary thought ...organized food attacking :lol: Proof positive that I need a plan of attack when they do come after me! :D

Got another mouse the other day! Little buggers!! I cant figure out where they are coming in :mad: I need to get another can of that "Stuff" from home depot and go around the outside of the house and look for holes.

Eating isnt too bad. I have a plan!!! We will be driving to indy on tuesday. Thats roughly 8 hrs sitting in the car, probably about 4 of that time I'll be driving. So......I plan to bring my Dr. Beck book and workbook to read and work on during the drive. I have The Secret arriving in netflix probably today, so I will watch that at least 2x before heading out on tuesday. This movie has been unbelievably helpful in pretty much every aspect of my life! Time to watch it again!!

Im printing memorial shirts today and did a lettering install this morning. Its been a busy day so far. The day is getting away from me again!

Have a great day everyone!

QuilterInVA 08-27-2008 02:23 PM

Good afternoon, y'all.

Angelmomma and anyone else who wants to start over - how about we form a group and start on Monday, September 1? I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and I think she'll be changing my depression meds yet again but I've got to get back on track soon before I start gaining, especially since my ability to exercise is still limited. I'll be finished with the first time through the workbook on Sunday so ready to begin at Day 1 again and isn't Monday and the first day of the month the time to get with it! And we'll be through the book before the holiday eating season begins!

onebyone 08-27-2008 04:11 PM

welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanting to (Post 2335085)
Is this group open for anyone to join? Will the same group be here after the first of the month? I just found my copy of the book, and started to read it yesterday. I would like some support to get through it.
Thanks.

Hi! You're in if you say you're in... all are welcome and that means you!

We start a new thread at the beginning of every month, but there will be a post to direct you there. If you check in with us you'll find it for sure.

We are all here to support each other... always happy to have another person's thoughts and views.

BTW I see you have a rebounder in your signature line... I have one but don't know what to really do with it, except bounce, walk and jog... can you tell me what you do when you work on it? How do you structure a workout on the rebounder?

Thanks!

wanting to 08-27-2008 07:30 PM

Hi
Thanks for the welcome.
If you google "rebounder workout" or "rebounder exercise", you will find lots of good info on how the rebounder is good for your body. I just bounce/jog on it for twenty minutes at a time. You can do big, high-energy workouts with high kicks, etc., but you get a good workout just bouncing very low... your feet just barely come off of the surface of the rebounder.
You burn as many calories bouncing as you go jogging, but jogging hurts my joints, and the rebounder does not.
When you first start bouncing, it feels like you are not doing anything, but after about ten minutes, you will probaby be sweating. I really love mine.

onebyone 08-27-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanting to (Post 2336027)
Hi
Thanks for the welcome.
If you google "rebounder workout" or "rebounder exercise", you will find lots of good info on how the rebounder is good for your body. I just bounce/jog on it for twenty minutes at a time. You can do big, high-energy workouts with high kicks, etc., but you get a good workout just bouncing very low... your feet just barely come off of the surface of the rebounder.
You burn as many calories bouncing as you go jogging, but jogging hurts my joints, and the rebounder does not.
When you first start bouncing, it feels like you are not doing anything, but after about ten minutes, you will probaby be sweating. I really love mine.

Thanks for the answer... I love my rebounder too, when I use it, and will start with the 20 minutes of low intensity bouncing. I think I have a belief that if it almost feels too "fun" it can't actually be exercise... that's thought's gotta go!

freer 08-27-2008 08:59 PM

OK OK, I'm here....but just BARELY! Holy guacamole, as my students say, this is nuts. Monday I worked 15 hours, Tuesday, 15 hours, today, it's like a vacation! 12 hours! I come home COMPLETELY zonked. I've been walking back and forth so much and in the 95+ degree weather. I've started taking my bath at night instead of in the morning. What a workout!

No time to eat and walking everywhere and the pounds are melting off! So-everyday I come home absolutely sore all over BUT in the morning, the weigh in is fabulous! :D I call it the second grade teacher diet! Maybe I'll write a book.

onebyone and bbe You have me laughing at all of your Jazzercise jokes. Who needs Jazzercise when you're a teacher?? :)

Truth be told, this is my second year being a bilingual teacher (it's my second career) and I remember this happened last year. I lost weight for the first time in my life without trying. But this I know. This phase is short-lived because my sabotaging thoughts figure it out and I eventually found time to overeat! Ha-Ha! Now I have Beck to get me through this. Now, with BDS, I am going to use this time to super-charge my weight loss. I will work hard not to sabotage it when things settle down. I can do this!

Welcome to the group wanting to we hope to hear from you often.

OK, it's back to the black hole again. I'll touch base when I next emerge.

BillBlueEyes 08-28-2008 04:29 AM

Welcome (wanting to)

:welcome: wanting to :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined 3FC almost 4 years ago, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck? And how did you find our discussion group here?

BillBlueEyes 08-28-2008 05:46 AM

Thursday

Diet Coaches – Just one day after reveling in refusing a brownie, another unexpected small challenge: at a committee meeting with just one other person after work, I cleverly suggested we work at my kitchen table and I'd provide dinner so we could start promptly at 6 pm and get a bunch of stuff done. Great idea; my kitchen, my dinner - easy to eat on plan. However, he felt he should contribute something so he brought along a fresh, refrigerated cake covered in whipped cream, kiwi, strawberries, and a HUGE mound of blueberries. Now, after dinner cake isn't on my plan; I eat fruit after dinner, night after night, watermelon, mango, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, apple, orange, pear - whatever's in season, fresh, and juicy. But here I was, facing a guy one-on-one who wanted to feel like he contributed to dinner. So, with that rationale, and in light of the HUGE mound of blueberries that are soooo healthy and good for me, I blessed the whole sloppy thing as fruit. It was yummy. Oh Well. For fessing up - CREDIT moi.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Waving. Hope all is well and that swimming continues in the remaining days of summer.

MaryBlu - Waving. Thinking of all your vegetables coming in here at the end of August.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving. Hope preparation for the beginning of the school year is going well.

onebyone – Kudos to you for marrying a guy who didn't say "I told you so" when the world was already tumbling down. And Kudos for facing the situation and grinding forward. My best supporting thoughts to a fellow clutter person to find the way to sort and shed.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for catching another mouse - counting that as Beck's preparing your environment, LOL. And Kudos for planning so far in advance your eating for the long drive to an from your workshop. Now I've got this ear-thought to commission onebyone to create a mural that you then wrap on my old Volvo for a little unexpected joie de vie.

shrinkin - Congrats on the scale movement. And Big Kudos for keeping your perspective when it isn't moving as fast as you'd like, and Sabotaging Thoughts lurk to derail your rational living.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - What a great idea to start the group from day one again. Count me in; I always get something new from reading the early days. Ouch for your continued limited ability to exercise. Sending healing thoughts.

freer - You are so clearly onto the money making idea of the century. All the Yeti Matadors can get rich with: Teachercise. The school systems need money, right? There's an obesity epidemic, right? And the wealthy obese will pay big time for a new, tax-deductible way to lose weight. So, we rent out each room of second graders for, say, $150 for 30 minutes for guaranteed weight loss. (Perhaps a bit more for boys with ADHD, a bit less for those girls in pinafores.) Everybody wins!!! And the teachers get a break to change into dry clothes

Kudos for charging forward in a tough job. And Kudos for not turning it into an eat-yourself-out-of-it stress situation.

wanting to – Yep, we're open for anyone to join; glad you're here. Yep, we plan - "if the good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise" - to have a September thread. You said you found your copy of Beck; have you done the Beck Diet Solution before?

Readers – "Do you ever feel as if you eat automatically, that eating is somehow out of your conscious control? Many of the dieters I’ve worked with certainly have felt this way at times." Beck, pg 26.