3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/147919-beck-diet-solution-%96-august-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

hbuchwald 08-15-2008 12:30 PM

Hi there everyone,
Back from our trip-we had a great time and I did really well with food and exercise and having FUN. Celebrating that dd and her cousins are old enough to "disappear" and have creative fun without constant parental intervention. In fact, any parental contact was when one of us would check on them or try to play with them. It was much more relaxing than 2 years ago when we did the very same trip.

So now, we both have colds, I am making plans for the weekend triathlon and my car is in the shop for BIG$$$$ repairs :( Head gaskets and then they keep calling with things that they have found. STRESSFUL but I keep reminding myself that it is cheaper than buying a new car and that I haven't had a car payment in a few years. Subaru is kicking in $750 toward the repair even though it isn't under warranty anymore since they have such issues with this. NICE!

We are experiencing a heatwave for us... it is in the 90's-tomorrow is supposed to be 99. I know that Mary is lol about me even commenting that this is "hot weather" but it is for us moderate climate peeps! :)

Not much else to report-I scanned the last few days and missed a few things like onebyone: what foodplan are you doing? What does "M.O.D." stand for?

So impressed that people are doing so well and checking in with the group no matter what. Off to pack up dd for overnight at grandpa's house so mommy can ride 12.4 miles on a bike despite a minimal training program to prepare (our goal is to finish the race but I still don't want to embarrass myself or my team!).

I will be stopping at the veggie market in my travels today for tomatoes-my mouth waters when you all talk about them-will find some good crusty bread and fresh basil to do the bruschetta thing like BBE does-YUM, I am salivating at the thought!!!

goodnuff 08-15-2008 03:18 PM

Good afternoon.

What a crappy day...literally. Woke up, with a crampy belly, to sewer back up in the basement. Why couldn't I have had stomach issues yesterday? TMI probably. The sewer guy is here now. I had the same problem in March and a different company removed some roots, an icecream pail full. This guy sounds like he's sawing down there. It's painful to be a single, female, homeowner. I've had 4 different plumbers for 4 diffeernt jobs the first three either did awful jobs or were rude. Hope this guy is better.

BBE: I hope your schedule clears soon so you can get back to your lunchtime routine. Kudos for not letting it be a roadblock.

freer: congrats on your loss. That's GREAT!!!!

one-by-oneGoodluck on your busy weekend. Great idea to tape your advantage cards somewhere you'll see them often, when you are not at home.
hisbelovedWELCOME!!! I'm fairly new here myself and everyone is so supportive.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the bill will be smaller than I expect.
M

onebyone 08-15-2008 04:13 PM

eye candy

Hi coaches

hbuchwald Is your triathalon this weekend? Wow. You go girl!:bike:

M.O.D. stands for "my own diet" I believe. A new member, goodnuff has chosen this for herself! Smart eh?! And I am following the "Crack the Fat Loss Code" diet by Wendy Chant. She was an athlete and this foodplan is supposed to protect your muscle mass as you lose weight. It's also supposed to help you break through plateaus (not a problem I have just yet). I've found an active board for this plan and have been posting there for support and it turns out there are lots of details the book overlooks buit the DVD does not. It is a hard first week. The goal is to deplete glycogen stores in your muscles/body to force the body to go use your fat for fuel= low carb approach. The first few days were awful as low caarbing always is. The next 7 weeks are spent carb cycling, with the promise of 2 "free food" days per week in maintenance... and the assurance that this way of eating can be forever. There's big hype about losing lots during the 8 wks but I don't care about that I just want to find a way to lose the fat and keep the muscle. I am willing to give it an 8 week go. It seems very complicated though:( Luckily I have a board to ask questions on and to read what they are doing... also, luckily, I understand why we are asked to do what we are doing. There actually is a big picture on this plan. But I can ahrdly judge if it works. Ask me in three more weeks when I am well past the low carb phase that pretty much guarantees weightloss for anyone.

The real miracle here is that I have found the willingness to try again. I wasn't sure if I'd get that again. I hung around here and put one foot in front of the other and wrote the crappiness out and things changed. but they always change... So if anyone out there is reading this feeling they'll never get "it" back, the willingness to try whatever plan you are thinking about, trust me. If I got it back, you will too. Don't leave before the miracle happens is what they say in another program... it's true.

goodnuff I hope all your plumbing problems are finally solved. What a horrible event! I am sure the last thing you feel like doing is eating but be on guard for when the stress is over... remember food will not solve this.
How does that saying go? "If I have a problem and I eat over it, then I have TWO problems." Hope your weeked is way better.

So I am here posting cause I felt SO:devil:TEMPTED walking past the stand where I used to get a muffin/coffee deal. They have these incredible chocolate and white icing covered huge cinnamon buns that I love. I saw them. Well, I didn't just "see" them...I looked for them and then took a great big deep long look :eek: and then I really wanted one.
Eye candy in the truest form.
I think I was trying to eat them with my eyes! haha! Well folks, kudos moi cause I walked away, diet cola in hand. I think this was one of those danger times cause I met with the new ceramic teacher and I instantly adored him. Really interesting great guy. Cannot wait to see what he has his classes make. Would love to be in a class with him. So all my fretting is gone, poof! And what I thought would be a problem is not and the relief! I cannot tell you the relief... and then I wanted the cinnamon bun. Wish I had my beck book! Can anyone tell me what would apply from the beck book to this? Gotta find that book. NO CHOICE seems to always apply and I used it here, boy did I use it.

Another factor in this was that I was way too long getting food into me. I ma eating every 3 hours ideally, 4 at the most and this was already well into 4 hours. I was hungry. And as a result I made too much food for my meal and I ate a few spoonfuls of second helpings and double serving of cheese 2 oz instead of 1. Not devasting in any way shape or form or even OP but I can see how these factors: relief of stress and waiting too long to eat caused the craving/obsession with the bun and then over making/eating once I was at home. There is a cause and effect.

maryblu 08-15-2008 09:51 PM

Welcome new Beckies!

I am so pleased about our new team of Beckies, and pleased to see posts from old friends as well.

Heidi, not laughing at your post about temp. I had so puckishly posted two or three nights ago about our great weather and my friend with the wheat crop to harvest...waiting......not to exhale......but for it not to hail....... ....yeah........rrrrright. I was driving home last night and heard on MPR that there was a storm right in her area....severe thunderstorm and hail.......thought ........no.........no......called her this morning........and ......yes.......her wheat crop was major hail damaged. She and DH were going to harvest it this coming Monday......and it got nailed last night...*sigh..

Bill BE, heard about rare tornado warning in NYC today......didn't get up to Boston, though, ???

Hope to hear everyone is doing well and working the plan...love my Beck team.

hbuchwald 08-16-2008 12:49 AM

Hi there coaches,
Maryblu: that is so unfortunate for your friend with the wheat crops-I hope that more is salvagable than they think now...

onebyone: Your words inspire me-thanks for sharing your path! Very impressive that you won in the staring contest between yourself and that cinnamon roll-WOW!!! Thanks for clarifying "my own diet' and also the plan that you are on. I look forward to continue reading about your experience with it!

Tomorrow our team goes to check in for the triathlon-I will park my bike in the transition area and we will scope out the course and collect freebies at a little expo. FUN! I THINK I can ride 12.4 miles over I-90 with a bunch of other people doing the same.... I can ride 12.4 miles on the trails around here and in my neighborhood.... I will really believe that it will transfer when I see it! It will be a real rush when I finish (wrote "if" and deleted and replaced with "when")...

Starting to gear up for school starting and a lot of busyness. I want to keep the calm in my head even amidst chaos when school starts. Journaling helps and so does purging a bunch of "stuff" (thanks BBE for sharing your success with this-it really does help me feel more in control of my life when I organize and get rid of what is not needed).

Goodnight coaches!

BillBlueEyes 08-16-2008 04:54 AM

Welcome Amy (HisBeloved)

:welcome: Amy (HisBeloved) :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in honor of your first post on 3fatchicks.com, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck? And how did you find our discussion group here?

onebyone 08-16-2008 05:53 AM

Saturday Challenge for me 6/57

Good Morning Beckster Coaches

Can only write a few sentences. The car is packed and I ahve to get ot the amrekt extra early (by 6:30am) so I can set my booth in the crafts building back up. I had to remove all contents for the Garlic Festival last weekend at the amrekt since I wasn't participating and went to Art in the Park instead. It's not hard, just tedious. Alas.

Just ate my breakfast and have planned my food for the market: veggie omlette at 8:30, cheese and sliced turkey at 11/11:30. And next meal to be had at home. I, of course, weigh everyday and I am up .6. I also found others telling what they have lost at the exact same point of the plan as me and they have lost double what my scale says. Wish I didn't know this. I tell myself" it's not a race. It's an 8 week tryout and you aren't even done 1/8th yet so no comparing." Do I feel better? yes. Am I eating better? yes. Is there any weightloss? yes. No problem.

Gotta run. Looks like a hot humid sunny day for today. Yikes! Better grab my fan...

Have a great Saturday. Will check in when I get home to keep me OP while I am there. See ya!

BillBlueEyes 08-16-2008 05:58 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches – Small successes: DW placed a HUGE bowl of pasta salad on the table for dinner. I served myself a normal portion. Ate it. And, to my delight, didn't feel a strong Desire for seconds just because it was sitting there. CREDIT moi. And Yay for the small changes in lifestyle that make it feel like this Beck stuff is working.

MaryBlu - Ouch for hail on your friends wheat crop - I share the hope that some is salvageable. Nope, tornadoes didn't make it to Boston, but we continue to have daily severe thundershowers. They're rather brief, with lots of thundering warnings, and torrential rain fall each time. We're a bit damp around here.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Welcome back from your East Coast vacation with Big Kudos for eating on plan in the land of Clam Chowder and butter on your lobsters. Ouch for both colds and car repairs. LOL as my mouth drools as I read your comment on previous discussion of tomatoes. However, it's kinda nice to be drooling about a vegetable. Good luck on your triathlon.

onebyone – Kudos for staring down the cinnamon bun. Double Kudos for the insights about your eating and longings. Continue to be enthralled with your new journey. Sending my best supportive thoughts as you march forward.

shrinkin - Neato for day 36: Believe It. That remains a big one for me as I feel that I exaggerate the danger of the slippery slope. I read my one-line version of the Believe It manifesto every day, not being clear whether my exaggerated fear is what's making Beck work for me or is holding me back. Kudos for working your physical therapist and internist to get what you need.

freer - Congrats on the new low. And good luck standing down the "victory slip." Yep, Boston is one fine city; I love it here.

M (goodnuff) – Ouch for the travails of dealing with plumbers for emergencies. Sending supportive thoughts as well as sympathy for fighting it as a single homeowner. For what it's worth, my experience with plumbers as a married homeowner isn't that great, but differing in that I get to vent to DW at the frustration with both work quality and attitude. For non-emergency work, I've had better success - but always, ALWAYS at a dear price. I may make plumbing my retirement profession just to stoke my greed, LOL.

Amy (HisBeloved) – Yep, you are posting in the right area. I wandered 100 yards into North Carolina last summer via a short hike along the Appalachian Trail from Tennessee. Need to get back and see more of NC.

Readers – "… You’ll learn better ways to deal with stress. …" Beck, pg 24.

HisBeloved 08-16-2008 08:11 AM

Thanks again for the welcomes. I actually stumbled upon a book review for the BDS on amazon, and saw so many overwhelmingly positive reviews I figured i'd give it a shot. I then did a search on google and found this support board. I had visited this site in the past while on WW.
I actually stopped weighing myself two years ago, because if the number wasnt where I wanted it to be it would send me into a deep depression for at least a week straight. I used an old scale a friend gave me until I could find mine (packed away from a move) Well I weighed myself this morning and I actually weigh 5 pounds more than my friends old scale said, so I am struggling a bit with discouragement, self loathing etc...I have gained 15 pounds since the last time I weighed myself a year or two ago.
I am about to sit down and complete my day two entry now.
I will check in later!
Thanks again for the welcome!
Amy

QuilterInVA 08-16-2008 10:19 AM

Good morning, y'all.

Amy - so glad to have you join us. Instead of beating yourself up for gaining weight, give yourself credit for doing something about it. Weigh yourself on the same scale, wearing (or not) the same thing, at close to the same time every day. Don't expect a loss everyday and some days you might even see a gain. It's what you lose over the course of a week that counts. We're here to help you.

BBE - Credit you for passing up on a second helping of pasta salad. I can't have pasta salad or potato salad in the house or I pick at it until it's gone. So I only have it if I'm at someone's house.

Goodnuff - I know where you are coming from. I'm a widow. I got me a home repair manual and so far I've managed to change the float in the toilet so it quit leaking, changed out an electrical outlet that was caput, and when the hot water heater sprang a leak I was able to hook up the hose and get it emptied and the water turned off until the plumber came. My next job will be a new ceramic tile floor in the downstairs bathroom.

OneByOne - NEVER compare your weight loss to someone else. Each body is unique. You could have the same starting weight and eat exactly the same food and do the same exercise as someone else and not lose the same amount. You seem to think the weight should fall off rapidly - that is not healthy. The weight didn't come on overnight and it won't go that fast either. Focus on making lifestyle changes and a diet you can live with forever and the weight will come down.

Well, I'm off to Curves. Have a good day!

onebyone 08-16-2008 05:57 PM

Update on a Saturday

Good Afternoon Coaches.

QuilterInVA Thanks for your concern.:hug: I do know bodies are different and work differently. It's in my nature to be competitive. That's why comments like " I did this/lost this/won this" can always "get" me. I notice that, and acknowledge that it gets me because I want that too ie. it is important to me. That's all. And I have to keep working toward getting whatever it is that's been triggered... And then it rolls off me. Waste of energy to dwell on that for sure! And yes, I have been dieting for years and am on the path to a lifelong change. It all takes time and effort. We each get there in our way, uniquely, like our bodies! Enjoy Curves today...

HisBeloved Sorry your weight has gone up since you last checked, but it's a new day and a new start and you have to start somewhere... this is a great place to do that!

BillBlueEyes Thanks for the good wishes. It must be helping. Had to ignore many and varied things in the grocery store, especially as I was shopping while hungry AND plagued by feelings of "entitlement" as I "worked so hard, got up so early ....." blah blah blah. Said no to everything but what is on my foodplan for the day (and THIS is why planning in advance is soooo good for me). Some tricky behaviour did sneak in as I did eat to more than "satisfied" and close to "really full" but stopped short. I believe this deserves 1/2 Kudo as I did stop:?: Anyway will adjust for it when I sense how I feel for my next meal in 1.5 hrs. I am actually really enjoying this WOE of the many mini meals. It's work for sure getting used to this, but it is exactly the thing I have been angling to try, and to see myself doing it is really great. Kudos moi for this.

hbuchwald I too am gearing up for back to school. But it gets easier to plan with so many obligations. Your time is really accounted for. Structure is built in. It's more about finding the time and the energy to get everything done! Can't wait to hear about your triathalon experience!

maryblu Wow.Sorry to hear your friend had hail damage. Farming is precarious business. The farmers at the market are always talking weather. this year wiht all the rain it's been really tough for them to get the haying done. It needs to dry in the sun and if you cut it and it rains it will rot...and then they have to buy it. It sounds like such a simple thing, to dry out hay, (literally to make hay while the sun shines) and it's not. Quite the risky venture farming is. We need to do whatever we can to support these folks.

So, I'm back from the market. Such an early start. I stuck to my plan and ate my small meals at the proper intervals and what was neat was that my body was actually hungry at the 3 hr interval. Ideally it's 5 or 6 mini meals over the course of a day. My body was actually craving food and I checked and it was almost exactly 3 hours since I had last eaten. Wow. I didn't get to eat until another 1 1/2 hours later so I ended up eating a large meal and not a mini meal, but that's okay. I still ate the proper foods and did not have foods offplan today. This morning I got an omelette at the market and it came with a croissant. I had to say no to the croissant and the slice of pineapple. And I did. Kudos moi. I have to get to work now. Working on more stock for tomorrow's out of town show. Hope I can get it all done. I'll sleep when the show is over... or in the car on the way there and back!

Bye for now.

BillBlueEyes 08-17-2008 07:11 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches – For lunch I finished off three leftovers that weren't a meal in themselves but were nearing their life expectancies in the fridge. For tending to my environment, CREDIT moi. Good long walk in the afternoon that included walking right past Whole Foods without going in to graze upon their FREE samples. CREDIT moi for making that choice. Just reminds me that refusing FREE samples right under my nose is MUCH harder than just not going near the samples. That's so blatantly what Beck suggests, and, just as blatantly, what I seem to be ever so slow in getting into my intuitive thinking. Oh Well.

onebyone – Big Kudos for refusing the croissant - especially if it was already paid for and therefore FREE. Semidos for stopping short of "really full".

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Continued Kudos for your continued trips to Curves. I know that notion of only having something at someone else's house to avoid the nibble-it-till-done syndrome.

Amy (HisBeloved) – Ouch for the disappointment in the scale reading. Switching scales always gives a jump in weight - can be either up or down. Dealing with the disappointment of scale readings consumes several of the days in the 42 day Beck program. Oh Well. You can begin your journey with that reading on that scale. Neat that you're doing day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets. Are you doing Weight Watcher again? What's your second?

Readers – "… Your thinking will change. …" Beck, pg 24.

onebyone 08-17-2008 09:21 PM

made it, 7/57, week 1 done.

Evening coaches!

BillBlueEyes Many kudos to you for not indulging that "it's-free-so-it-doesn't-cost-me-anything" thinking fallacy. We both know if we aren't supposed to have it, it doesn't matter what the price... it'll cost us peace of mind, calories, self-loathing and doubt in ourselves. Not worth the freebie. Kudos for walking too.

I am happy to report I stayed on plan today while away at a show credit moi. The show was way down from last year and other years. I just kept busy working on some new stuff instead of stuffing myself over the slow sales. I did get a nice pair of earrings to celebrate staying OP all this week and planning ahead. I think that could be a foodplan in itself: the "plan your food food plan". It really works to keep me OP.

Well tomorrow I go to the gym. Don't know if i'll go before or after a few hours at the school. Probably after so i don't have to feel the pressure of hurrying to get there or having to cut it short.

iAnd it sure was quiet here today. I think people are busy getting some summer fun in before we head into back-to-school and the fall... it's all coming up so fast!

BillBlueEyes 08-18-2008 05:48 AM

Monday

Diet Coaches – One small thing: At fellowship hour a late arrival to the snacks table was a tin of super quality, individually wrapped, raspberry filled, dark chocolates. I pounced on one. Yummy. The big deal is that I had already passed on plates of home made cookies, so I had the "one treat" of my "food food plan" in reserve. CREDIT moi. And, I pounced on one, not two or three. CREDIT moi again. It seems that when I'm living the image I have of myself, it's easy to stay there and to revel in its rewards. Likewise, when not living the image, it's very easy to continue off-image and just kick myself again for failing. That feels like such an important thought for me, although it's just my version of "It's easier to stay on plan than to get on plan."

onebyone – LOL at the PYFFP diet ("plan your food food plan.") hmmm... not sure that zillions can be made here with that acronym, but I like the thought. Kudos for staying busy arting rather than eating during your slow fair. Big Kudos for continuing to plan, plan, plan. Good luck at the gym.

Yep, a tad quite. My intuition tells me that half of the Matadors went to the beach to put in a strong swim in waning August. And half took an early hot air balloon ride over their favorite savanna. The other half found a cheap round trip to Paris to buy their fall clothes and try the new restaurants on the Left Bank. And the last half climbed the local mountain to meditate during a cloudless sunrise. Perhaps my intuition tells me this because I spent my weekend doing chores that must be done before the end of August and, for lack of planning, I was desperately attending.

Readers – "… In fact, you’ll get to the point where you’ll react differently when you see food you know you shouldn’t eat. …" Beck, pg 24.

HisBeloved 08-18-2008 08:02 AM

BillBlueEyes
Yes, I will be doing ww again flex plan, with the core plan as back up. wW has always worked for me now it is just a matter of working on some of the emotional ties to food. I think the BDS will be a wonderful companion to ww.
I am working on day four today in my workbook. I am not actually reading the book just working through the workbook.
So far so good, I am feeling hopeful.