3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/147919-beck-diet-solution-%96-august-2008-%96-group-support-discussion-diet-coach.html)

wendylan 08-22-2008 02:43 PM

Just checking in I have been on vacation and am now home sick. I have been taking the phentermine from my diet doctor and working on the Beck,especially listening to the cds in the car.In 5 weeks I am down 10 pounds,the medication gives me the extra jump to really get going with my diet and exercise but the Beck is what really changes the thinking for lasting weight loss.I have just finished listening to all the cds and am starting them over.

freer 08-22-2008 08:28 PM

Hello all...still here! School starts Monday and I've been setting up my classroom for the last 2 weeks. I'm trying to keep up, albeit lurking. But thanks for all of the great advice and thanks for sharing your thoughts. It always helps me.

I may not be writing a lot in the next few weeks as school starts, but I will continue to keep up with reading. I've been back OP all week.

Have a great weekend.

goodnuff 08-23-2008 12:22 AM

Good night!

I'm now on Day 8. I think this is the day that makes the most sense to me. i have a lot of wasted time. this helped me realize that and to figure out how to put time into me. I made a meal plan for today and stuck to it, WTG (way to go). I'm actually kind of shocked, but mostly impressed with myself. i put all of it in my sparkpeople nutrition tracker and am pleased that I was only 53 calories over. Low on carbs and high, really high on fiber. 59 grams of fat, but that is the one nutrient it doesn't give me a goal for. I'm sure I must have done something wrong on the tracker. But 59 doesn't sound too bad to me!

I'm sending bubble bath vibes to everyone who is stressed and/or injured. It's my favorite way to relax and I can not wait to fit, comfortably, in the tub to do it again.

I have my health insurance risk assessment next Thursday....do you think I can lose 50 pounds by then?:shrug:
M

BillBlueEyes 08-23-2008 04:51 AM

Welcome momof2gr8kids

:welcome: momof2gr8kids :welcome:

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined 3FC, :wel3fc:

How did you find out about Beck? And how did you find our discussion group here?

BillBlueEyes 08-23-2008 06:13 AM

Saturday

Diet Coaches – It's timely for me that several folks are working the issues of making choices in use of their time. There are days that I can fill responding to all the little routine demands on my time and lose focus on my own big picture. Glad that others are working that. I took two hours off work yesterday to negotiate with contractors until we got things back on track. For making choices that matched my priorities, CREDIT moi.

Robin (RobinW) - Oh yes, the hard time is when we're just "muddling thru." Good luck in organizing time; I find it so easy to fall into the habit of chasing so many little things that that leave me not time for more important ones.

wendy (wendylan) - Ouch for being sick. Kudos for staying on plan and for finishing all the Beck CDs.

onebyone – Neat that you've identified lean sausages as a food that makes you want more. Reminds me that I was impressed with a book (whose name escapes me) arguing that sugar, fat, and salt are all addictive. The scientific arguments seemed light, but I resonated with the idea that each of them has the property that consuming it made me want more. Kudos for your twelfth day on your new plan. Just marching along.

shrinkin - Ouch for the elbow - best supportive thoughts for your path to healing. Methinks it's fair to note that, even though you ate off plan, you still made a responsible choice. That's a very different behavior than the binge type of thinking that can bring us down. So, Kudos for remaining responsible and Double Kudos for posting for your Diet Coaches.

freer - Good luck getting ready for the hoards of student about to descend on the schools. And good luck staying on plan during the whirlwind. What level do you teach?

M (goodnuff) – Kudos that you "made a meal plan for today and stuck to it." And Double Kudos for giving yourself credit. LOL at "sending bubble bath vibes" - now that's a soothing thought. Good luck with day 8: Create Time and Energy. I'm still working that one.

momof2gr8kids – Kudos for promptly picking your diets on day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets. Neat question, "how has everyone done with making permanent changes to your thinking?" A new one for me is that every time I see food, I don't think about eating it. Previously I couldn't walk through a street fair without wanting every vendors foods. My new thought is, "That's not about me."

Readers – "the solution at a glance

• Cognitive Therapy is a psychological treatment that will help you successfully lose excess weight and keep it off. …" Beck, pg 25.

shrinkin 08-23-2008 07:58 AM

Saturday report

Coaches:

On target yesterday for calories. In part, because I worked very late and did not have time to eat. Managed to stay in control after arriving home about 9 pm. Only ate until comfortably full. Have to work today and need to go to pool before going in to office.

Reminder to self: When stress is lower, need to work on unplanned exercise and on what changes I need to make in exercise routine for fall (will not be able to Lake swim on weekends).

BBE-I am thinking that one way of limiting damage from unplanned eating is to make it protein. Seems it is less addictive/attractive and desire tends to turn off fairly quickly. I am right there with you on the responding to little demands problem. It is more comfortable to do that than taking on some of the big items. Yesterday was a day of distraction for me, few of which met my priorities. "Making choices that matched my priorities..." I am trying to focus on that thought today. Hanging on to my diet and exercise priority has been easier than in the past, but I am still taking it one day at a time and fearing the slippery slope.

goodnuff-Kudos on getting meal plans made and making them work for you. Yup, it is all about time and planning. Credit too for recording calories! For fat, general rule of thumb is not more than 30% of calories from fat and not more than 10% from saturated fat. Not sure what your calorie intake is, but 59 grams would be 531 calories from fat.

freer-Glad you posting back!:) Congrats on being OP all week!

wendylan-Woohoo for the 10 pounds! :yay: Good to hear you have finished the CDs. I am trying to psych up for restarting the book.

RobinW-Finding time and energy for this can be tough. Getting up earlier was the only solution for me to make time, and for the most part, that has worked. Also, have had to take a dose of "making time for the priorities that matter". Keep on plugging away.

momof2gr8kids-I have the index cards, but don't use them much. I also rarely carry a purse. So, not much help there. I have adapted my ARC and the nuggets from two of other cards onto a small printed sheet that I cut to fit my ID badge holder. So, they are with me at work for little breaks....or if I start to fall off plan.

onebyone-kudos for recognizing suasage is a problem for you. I must admit I have it every morning. My desire is limited by knowing I will have it the next day. Other protein source I use in the mornings is smoked salmon. Agree with you about the coaches here being golden! Happy you are doing so well!:carrot:

Sending good thoughts to all and especially to QuilterINVA, hbuchwald, coastalsue, maryblu and HIsBeloved and any of the other Beckies out there reading!

momof2gr8kids 08-23-2008 10:24 AM

I was thinking of a way to effectively implement the ARC for me...my purse is a black hole with a strap! Yesterday, I did make up the index cards, but I also put my reasons for losing weight on a recurring reminder on my Outlook calendar. I made it a daily recurring appointment with no end, and set a reminder to come up every day at 7:00 am. When I signed into my work email this am from home, it came up, just like I set it to. I also figured out that at that time, I can read it and 'snooze' the reminder indefinitely throughout the day, so it will pop up every hour, or even every 15 minutes if I'm having a particularly hard day that day. I think this will work well for me. If I'm away from the pc, I have my cell phone/pda synched with my pc, so it has the same little reminders!

BillBlueEyesI found out about Beck from the WW discussion boards over on their site. I've been a 3fc member for quite awhile.

freer 08-23-2008 10:39 AM

Good morning all!

Just wanted to check in before I head off into the black hole of time which is my classroom! :) BBE I teach 2nd grade, thanks for asking.

As a result of this crazy schedule, my exercise has taken a hit, but the good news is that my physical activity has increased exponentially due to the physical job that is teaching! Every night I come home and my body and muscles ACHE!

I am giving myself a little leeway in the exercise category these first few weeks of school, as the job at this stage is so physically taxing. Since I am hooked on Jazzercise I have no doubts I'll get back to a more regular schedule in a week or so. Coaches, don't be afraid to call me on it! ;)

Have a great day, all.

onebyone 08-23-2008 04:36 PM

Good Afternoon coaches

Hello coaches. I'm back from a busy market day. yay! Was happy with my sales today. Hope tomorrow will be the same ;)

Foodwise today is week 2 day 6 and a "carb up day" meaning I get to have many things not on the regular menu. Fruit, pasta, pizza, fries...basically the goal is get carbs into me after having either depleted them in week one and then limited them in week 2. Now we are fooling the body by giving it lots of carbs. There's science and all that behind this but the bottom line is I had fruit today. I had a lot of fruit today. :o I bought a pint of local plums and when I was closing the trunk of the car I smashed the bag in the trunk's hood. Sheesh. So I ate them anyway. They'd get smushed when I chewed them right? right. yummy! Then I had a pint of blueberries and two peaches. I just had all my fruit at once. I did feel stuffed, and we're supposed to avoid that, but it's fruit! I don't regret one blueberry (from Abbotsford BC for those who care about these things :) ). Dinner is pizza and DH is thrilled to be ordering pizza. Tomorrow back to normal.
I think I love this foodplan....
me--->:val2:<----foodplan
So a bit of a wobble there but it's over. OH WELL.

wendylan Congrats on the 10lbs down. That's great! Happy to see your plan is working for you. Nice to hear from you again! Hope you're feeeling better today.

freer Great news that you've been OP. Awesome! Good luck getting your classrooom together. When does school start for you?

goodnuff Thanks for the :bubbles: bubblebath wish. I may just do that today... Congratulations on having a day OP. That's how we move forward my friend. Yay! As for fat intake, my foodplan wants me to limit my saturated fat intake to 20gr a day = cheese, butter, cream, fatty meat, mayonnaise, salad dressings... But we are to have 2 servings of olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil (and "essential fatty acid supplement" I think these are omega 3 supplements) everyday. I think these are numbers to work toward. shrinkin' also gave you excellent advice!

BillBlueEyes Kudos on getting a handle on the contractors. They can be slippery those contractors... I can tell you are parting with your procrastinating ways. If we make the decision to tend to what needs to be done, we are doing it and not procrastinating via getting other, less pressing/more fun things done. Though, when I am in "creative tension", getting ready for a big show and the deadline is approaching, I often find that the housecleaning looks awfully attractive... Need to really work on these tendencies in myself!

shrinkin Excellent work getting the exercise in and eating until comfortably full within your plan. Kudos. I am planning on getting to the gym on Monday. My tuition is covered and I can move forward, using the free pass for the coming week, and then starting a 6 month membership. I will think of your dedication when I know I will second guess this plan to go on Monday come Monday morning...;)

momof2gr8kidsWhat a great solution you came up with for your ARC cards! And good going for planning ahead for the day when you won't feel like doing this... we all get those. You are planning to succeed. Awesome.

Bye for now

hbuchwald 08-23-2008 06:14 PM

Hi there,
Reading everyone's posts and enjoying/getting inspired as always. You guys ROCK. Today's strategy for me to stay on plan is to WRITE down every food that I desire....maybe even try to write about the experience of eating it and remembering the last time I ate it. This could be torture but many foods are not as satisfying after I eat it and lead to that grazing binging...

Getting lots of other stuff done around here for home and classroom (and child and dogs and house)....
that bubblebath sounds GREAT... maybe I will indulge myself in that.

Just swinging by..... I need to jumpstart myself out of some serious sabotaging thinking (I deserve to eat this for reasons xyz, I have been eating crap for a few days now, what is one more, etc....). Will process that-sometimes I try to look at my reasons for losing weight and think, "awww... this won't matter that much" or even worse, "who am I fooling? This is just another weight loss/weight gain cycle and I am on the gaining part now".

Off to get my journal and the bubblebath.. :) Thanks coaches....

QuilterInVA 08-23-2008 07:05 PM

Good evening! I've been catching up on the last few days. I've been having a hard time the last few days. I have depression and it took a nosedive after I hurt my knee. Unfortunately, I found I can binge on healthy food, too. I can't go to Curves and that is one thing that helps my depression. So I had my friend go to the library and get me a couple of chair aerobics tapes. They are great for people who have trouble with legs. It's a decent workout so I'll do that. I also took myself in hand and got my menus planned for next week. The pity party has ended!

onebyone 08-23-2008 08:37 PM

Did I even write that?

Wow I'm back. I had my dinner and I continued to eat well past being full. When I posted before that it was over, well, it wasn't. Not only that but the old standby of "well you already wrecked it, may as well keep going you can't have this food tomorrow anyway" kicked in and I ate all my dinner and it was 3x too much for me. I would have had to throw the food away and I couldn't do it. I ate it instead. I did not work several Beck strategies.

Still, 2 meals in 13 days. It's okay. It really is over now and I have learned once more to PLAN these days too. I mean really plan them.

:( live and re-learn.

BillBlueEyes 08-24-2008 07:04 AM

Sunday

Diet Coaches – Long day, that included the mason finishing the area between the sidewalk and the front steps. He did good work. CREDIT moi for surviving without using food to deal with feelings.

Also, a little thing: I cut the meat off a rotisserie chicken to make sandwiches and a meal of some sort, without taking a single bite. That's a big deal for me because I've always done food prep as one-piece-for-me one-piece-for-the-pot. Better yet, it wasn't through arch willpower, it was just simple Beck thinking: That's not about my eating. CREDIT moi.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Kudos for attacking your Sabotaging Thoughts. Good luck getting ready for your fall schedule. Is middle school as physically taxing as freer reports about second grade?

onebyone – Yep, I'm glad to know that your pint of blueberries came from Abbotsford BC since I track that. Poor little guys had to travel a long way including up and over the magnificent Canadian Rockies to get to Ontario. Drooling here, that was a lot of fruit!! Continued Kudos for staying the course on your food plan. LOL at "live and re-learn." Ouch - ain't it so.

shrinkin - Kudos for planning your "unplanned eating." Protein seems like a reasonable notion since it satisfies you and avoids Desire for more and more. The next step might be to add that to your plan, so that it moves from "unplanned eating" to "planned extras." Then it would be similar to Beck's extra 20 percent when eating out.

Susan (QuilterInVA) - Ouch that your knee continues to knock out your routine. Kudos for the "chair aerobics tapes." It's good for me to be reminded that recognizing the current situation allows one to think of what to do next.

freer - LOL at "the black hole of time which is my classroom!" Seems smart to cut some slack on your Jazzercise while you are getting so much exercise managing a 2nd grade classroom. I salute you for doing that job.

momof2gr8kids – LOL at "black hole with a strap." That's a great idea to make your Advantages Response Card "a recurring reminder on my Outlook calendar."

Readers – "… the solution at a glance
• The way you think about food, eating, and dieting affects your behavior and how you feel emotionally. …" Beck, pg 25.

onebyone 08-24-2008 07:59 AM

14/57 into my 8 week experiment

Good Sunday Morning Coaches

I'm feeling a little chastened by my food behaviour yesterday. Many areas left to work on. It felt like a "food emergency" in that I hadn't had food x in so long so I felt I had to get "as much as I could" all at once. What an old feeling for me that is. As a small kid I would go shopping with my grandparents and when we got home it was food free for all. I would just eat enormous amounts of everything I wanted, and I wanted most of it, my grandmother lived to please me with food and loved to see me eat it, and within 3 days the "good stuff" was always gone. Days long past, emotional behaviour alive and kickin:dancer:

Well, it wasn't an emergency then and it isn't an emergency now. In fact I now get two carbup days in a week, Wed and Sat and can feel free to move these around as needed to cover special events. It's a flexible plan this carb cycling thing...you just have to put in the weeks (and the work) to get to see the whole picture, hence the 8 week structure. And on the board I post on for this food plan there were plenty of others who did exactly what I did yesterday on their first attempt at upping their carbs! I am in good company. We'll see who continues. This is exactly the kind of thing that can make some folks throw in the towel with self-loathing, self-defeatist thinking (can't do this right, always do it, will never work, and etc. You know what I mean). Well this plan has a plan for what to do if you overindulge and that's what I am doing today. It's a one day fix and then back to normal. Awesome. AND I am planning out my day today and will have my gym clothes and my workout routine ready to go for the morning. I already have my reason to go downtown and therefore will be walking through the mall where my gym is. I'm going to do what I can and start there.

Today is heavily overcast with the threat of rain and thunderstorms this afternoon. I am due to set up outside in a park for another art in the park (with live music too!) from noon to 8pm today. Yikes! Rain and thunder and lightning is forecast exactly for the afternoon. Not sure what to do. Will consult with my friend who's also supposed to go. And this is what happens. I had a good start to the weekend yesterday $-wise, now today it could have continued but chances are we'll be rained out...maybe. It's the maybe that keeps you going. I've had some great days in the rain. I only need a few customers, or the right ONE to make my day.

Everyone have a great day and if you went offtrack like me, don't make a big deal about it, just hop back on the wagon. It's waitiing for you. That's what I am going to do today. *spinning wagon wheels:bike2:* see ya yesterday...*looking in rearview mirror at yesterday falling away....

shrinkin 08-24-2008 08:19 AM

Sunday report

Morning coaches!
Yesterday a so-so day. About 200 calories over plan. Contributed to by having extra glass of wine and adding 1 oz cheese and half dozen walnuts to my snack of blueberries. Not sure where I am mentally with this. Methinks I need to go back to reading Beck. Will start today with chapter 1. Still think that food desire is my biggest problem. Certainly, filling that desire with better choices helps, but it is easy to overdo even on healthy choices.

Credit for pool work out yeeterday. My routine has been weekend lake water activities and pool during the week. Not being at the lake this weekend and having to work, would have been easy to say "not today".

BBE-Congrats on the new mason work...and the stress management that did not include food! Mmmm, rotisserie chicken...easy to want to nibble. Credit for flexing resistance muscle!

onebyone-Sorry to hear about the slip yesterday. Kudos for already thinking through it. You will do better today.

QuilterInVA-Happy that you already knew about those chair workout videos! Ouch for pity party. Sending you positive thoughts for the knee and for dealing with it. Joint problems seem to be a roller coaster both physically and mentally.

hbuchwald-Kudos for working on plan to prevent "grazing binging"! Yup, those sabotaging thoughts allow one to "fool self". Credit to you for IDing them and turning your thinking round.

freer-Kudos for getting that physical life work done! Feeling the accomplishments must be great...."good kind" of tired going on?

momof2gr8kids-Love that solution to the ARC!

Off to the pool before work again today. Not really in the mood...but since when does that matter?

Happy Sunday to all!