Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #211  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches – One good and one odd food experience yesterday. The good experience came when I was eating the leftover chicken and couscous for lunch and recognized the feeling of mildly full. Immediately I thought, good, there's enough room to finish this and only feel stuffed. Then sanity prevailed and I put half back for lunch today. CREDIT moi.

The odd experience came during a boring stretch of a long meeting. I began to inventory the food put out for breakfast/snack - I actually listed it in my notes trying to look like I was carefully noting the speakers comments. I ignored the prepared fruit (which I had enjoyed as my morning snack, CREDIT moi), ignored the cheese and sugar filled Danish Pastries, and began to desire the dozen Apple Cinnamon muffins that were untouched. I wanted to take them home!! I didn't really want one muffin, but the whole dozen, similar to the experience reported by onebyone for a bucket of KFC. It didn't particularly help to remind myself that there is a well established process where the evening cleaning crew gathers up all leftovers in their area for a "potluck" at their break. Didn't help to remind myself that I don't buy muffins and wouldn't eat them at home. Didn't help to remind myself that the cost of a dozen muffins at the store is pretty cheap. The obsession finally ended when the cafeteria person removed them when they brought in more drinks in the afternoon. Was a very odd feeling, certainly not thinking like a thin person. Has anyone else felt an odd desire that made little sense?

[Looking for someone to start the discussion for Program-day 19: Stop Fooling Yourself.]

Sue (CoastalSue) - Waving toward the west coast. Hope the weather allows swimming.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Waving toward the west coast. Hope the weather allows fun activity during your Spring Break.

Blurry flyby Jean (kuhljeanie) - Congrats for the scale reading of 4 pounds lost - whatever it is. Did you get El Nino into an ocean with waves on your Florida trip? Ouch for the stomach bug. Good luck on your project and remaining sane for the next week and a half.

onebyone – So exciting that you have vision of your future, per "I want to be an international artist." Kudos for going to the party; Kudos for eating on plan; Kudos for the walking. And Kudos to your host for small sized foods to serve those who are eating awarely.

amy (gahundy) – Ouch for feeling tired and Kudos for actively working to change that. You asked how to eat when you're not feeling hungry; I don't have any insight there. My intuition is that you're doing the right thing by striving to take in enough calories that you don't feel tired. Have you tried a short bit of exercise to break the tired? Like a brief, brisk walk before fixing dinner. Good luck attacking this - you're doing something important.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Thanks for sharing your Advantages Card. I especially liked, "13. Getting thin is a positive thing that builds other positive things." That's the key advantage for me. My healthy lifestyle supports being engaged with my life; I just do more stuff that matters to me. Kudos for "22 clean days of eating under my belt" and for your re-commitment your Beck plan. And thank you for the kind words.

Robin (RobinW) - LOL at "Garlic breath." Yay that you found a new source for a chef's salad. Kudos that things are good, and Big Kudos for a worn out Beck book - that's a sign of a program being worked seriously. Will be interested in hearing if you find the Beck workbook useful. Newcomers frequently ask about the workbook and I don't have an opinion since I only use the hard back.

mom3 - Ouch for your knee surgery, and Kudos for already making plans for exercise. Your "dinner provided school event" is a universal challenge - finding food on your plan from someone else's choices while surrounded by some really bad choices. Yep, I think you're thinking like a thin person with the thought to just leave some. Since leaving stuff on my plate is hard for me, I have to work especially hard in a situation like that to keep it off my plate. When a salad is available, the old Weight Watchers (and others) trick is to first fill your plate half full of salad to help restrict choices to one quarter entree and one quarter vegetables. Once in my (adult) life I ate High School Cafeteria spaghetti. Food was good quality and reasonable quantity, but soooo overcooked. Even high school kids and prisoners deserve al dente pasta. That should be in the Constitution or something. Duh, I just noticed that you and Kathy (tresor) are working the same Program-day.

Kathy (tresor) - Kudos for your walk at dawn - all 3 miles of it. And Kudos for standing down a "mood" and not letting it disrupt your eating plan. Big Kudos for giving yourself credit. I especially like to see that because it was so hard for me to do when I started - I just felt so silly giving myself credit. Hope all went well with your Program-day 11: Differentiate between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings. Double Duh, I just noticed that you and mom3 are working the same Program-day.

northwest - LOL at "Looking back, I actually see that I truly thought hunger was an emergency!" Laughing because I have that same astonishment that I actually thought that; everything had to be pushed aside to satisfy hunger. Given that I classified a lot of Desire as Hunger, I had a lot of pushing aside and satisfying to do. Nice to have that monkey back in its cage.

Readers – "… She has presented hundreds of workshops and trained thousands of people in Cognitive Therapy, both nationally and internationally. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 11.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-23-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: gramatical typo
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #212  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Good morning all.

I emailed Dr. Beck yesterday with a question pertaining to day 2 about south beach diet and a second diet. She replied within 24 hours and said she would get back to me she was talking with her publisher about how best to approach this with me... signed it JUDITH... oy we are on a first name basis now! LOL

today is my offical Beck Weigh in day and i'm down 2 more pounds... met my 5 pound goal and will start a new sheet for next week. This stuff is very cool.

BillBlueEyes while I can't fathom thinking as clearly as you about the muffins I can appreciate the amount of thought that goes into our food issues. Credit you for recognizing mildly full AND LISTENING TO IT. I did not do that last night.. and it made me angry with myself.

northwest hello i've done the lend out and never see again book routine and bought it again too.. not this particular book but others.. I also struggle with the hunger/desire/craving thing.

RobinW dill pickles don't do it for me but give me a half sour and i'm good to go... congrats on the planned unplanned eating... sometimes when we get thrown a curve we flounder you did good and gum is great for garlic breath.

kuhljeanie hope you are feeling better... best line in a movie: In the Devil Wears Prada Emily says "i'm just one stomach flu away from goal weight" who has not thought that....

gahundy that' whole eating too little thing is so hard to deal with... you would think if we ate less we'd lose more... how difficult our bodies can be...

mom3 in a situaion like a meal that's pasta.. i'd opt to skip it and eat at home but pasta is not really something i can eat on my plan 1/2 cup of whole grain is all i'm allowed per meal... not easy to do at a spaghetti dinner. I hope your knee surgery goes smoothly and I think swimming is a great exercise.

tresor congrats on getting the exercise done... i'm missing the gym. i get to go back on May 1. hope today is good for you!

this is what I posted about my Day 5 at my board:

Day 5 revisted for me today

Eat SLOWLY and MINDFULLY

I so do not do this. I know that i ate way past full last night again.. mostly cauliflower but still... not good.

Beck says:

when you eat slowly your brain has time to register that you are full (THIS I THINK IS A KEY THING FOR ME because i noticed last night i did NOT feel full when i was done but I FELT STUFFED about 10 minutes later... this is the stuff binge eating is made of)

when you notice and enjoy every mouthful, you feel more satisfied when the food is gone. Yep that makes sense to me too... make it an experience.

Quote:
The more slowly you eat the more time you give the I'm FULL" alert to reach your brain so that it can signal you to stop eating

ya know sometimes I do eat fast so i can eat past feeling full... ON PURPOSE... gotta work on that. I guess it's easier to 'make all gone' than it is to clean up... hmmm... and sometimes it just tastes so good... I WANT IT ALL! and I want it NOW...

I really have to start working on the strategies outlined in the book

Quote:
put down the utensils and wait 10-30 seconds to pick it up

that's a LONG TIME... see how i think....

Quote:
change something in the environment
i am very resistant to this one...

Quote:
set a timer to beep every 1-3 minutes
do i even have a timer that does that?

Quote:
take sips of water after every few bites
this one i can do. but i would do it every bite... just to get in the habit

Quote:
eat something hot
i've been doing that...

Quote:
pay attention to your body
working on this one

Quote:
look at the clock
i notice it does not take me a long time to eat at all.

Quote:
eat in a relaxed atmosphere
easier said than done..

Quote:
focus intently on the food
ya know this one is SCARY for some reason

Quote:
train yourself to eat with some distractions
i guess this means to eat mindfully with those distractions.

ok so i'm working on the eating mindfully and slowly today again....

tomorrow is find a diet coach... i have YOU guys so I don't need one so i'll do day 5 again tomorrow...

day 7 is arrange your environment... already done and finished so i can work on that mindfully slow eating again

day 8 is create time and energy... done deal for me... esp since next week is BACK TO THE GYM

day 9 select an exercise plan is done

day 10 set a realistic goal... done... just broke a goal... 215 here I come

day 11 ugh a tough day... differentiate between hunger desire and cravings.

ok my plan is to work day 5 today and see how it goes.. if it goes WELL i will work it tomorrow and friday and MONDAY I will tackle day 11...
Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #213  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Bill~ yes, Ive had strange thoughts like that too. I insist it is that "other" perons that lives in my head that pushes those thoughts to the front of the line!! Great job tho, on getting thru it, and saving your chicken and couscous for lunch!!

Nessa~ I love your quotes!! You are looking good and organized!!

Reading your quotes Nessa, reminded me about some quotes I came up with while I was reading the Beck book. (my brain never quits) Anyway, I came up with a couple quotes for t-shirts.... "Beckers have strong resistance Muscles!" "Beckers kNOw Choice!" I had a couple others, but I cant find the sheet I wrote them on I was thinking these would make great workout t-shirts for me.

Today is a crazy day, and Im posting here in between meetings....food is planned and packed. I figured out my food for tonights meetings (this was a tricky one)

OH! I booked my 1st meeting with my a personal trainer!! Im so excited!

.........have a great day everyone!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #214  

Hello my friends,
Coastalsue: were those patties from Trader Joe’s? I bought some salmon patties from there thinking that they would serve as an easy way to get fish/healthy omegas in…they were awful! Kudos to you on not grazing when you felt like you deserved to have some more tasty food. Oh my goodness-I LOVE the concept of “listening to the silent partners in my body”. When I visualize my body, my head only takes up a small percentage of it…I need to take care of all of it and not let the sometimes irrational voices in my head do all the decision making. Thanks! I am so glad that you got to swim. I also remind myself to “calm down” and it helps so much in so many areas of my life.

BillBlueEyes: hahaha… “remaining employed does wonders”…. Dd likes the tandem!!! Yahoo! Salsa dance was fun, I am looking forward to learning more.

Onebyone: Wow-you have some big thinking to do about your future with your art. It is so wonderful that you have such talent to have options like that. The party sounds wonderful and it sounds like you were intentional in eating the food there. Way to go!!

Nessa: way to get refocused. I have been thinking that I need to redo my advantages list to word things a little differently. Thanks for reminding me. Glad that dd is doing well and that you are able to take care of yourself at the same time as taking care of him.

Tresor: Way to attack the exercise today!

Mom3: swimming is a great exercise option!! Dinner provided events are tricky… I try to eat something before going (a bunch of veggies or other healthy and filling stuff) and then prioritize what I really want to eat, plan it out as best as I can ahead of time and eat slowly. Beck lets herself eat about 25% more on her plate when out than at home…or you could allot an extra 200 cals for being more flexible when you get there?

Gahundy: Are you snacking at all? Maybe some fruit with peanut butter or some trail mix (trying to think of something healthy, high calorie but small to eat)…..???

Kuhljeanie:Hope that flubug is gone soon!!! Good to hear from you.

RobinW: Great work on planning your unplanned eating! 

Northwest: Glad you found us too. This is a great way for many of us to have a diet coach!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

Good afternoon everybody!
Looks like everybody is doing well.
my food is good and yesterday i took a yoga class and a step aerobics class. we had to do squats and have our hands touch the step when we went down (the step is about 3 inches off the ground) and i touched it!!! i was sooo excited! that was a proud moment for me.
well this afternoon i am going to a new class called "abs, buns and thighs" it's taught by a girl who used to be a drill instructor, no seriously a drill instructor for the us army! but all the girls in my office go and they just love it, i am kinda nervous about it, and i am sure since i have so much flab on me that the results won't be seen for quite sometime, but it's movement, and hopefully it will be fun. i can't wait.
wish me luck and pray i can roll out of bed tomorrow
amy
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #216  

Yesterday was Day 11 for me - differentiate between hunger, cravings, & desire. So last night I'm thinking that it has been an uneventful day as I hadn't had any food cravings or desires to eat anything that was not planned. Then right before bedtime......I remembered the low fat chips in the pantry and they were calling my name and telling me how crunchy and salty and 0 trans fat, etc. Those chips were really on my mind but I just said "Get thee behind me Evil Chips". They still called out to me and I finally decided to just go to bed and forget all about them. So I did finally have a craving for the day and I won the battle.

Today I am supposed to skip lunch altogether but I'm saving that for another day and am continuing another Day 11.

I also got in another 3 mile walk this mornng before work. It's getting easier to get up in the mornings and workout. I just have to remind myself how it makes me feel so much better all day if I get this done first thing in the morning.

Today I had to go out for an unplanned meeting and screwed up my lunch plans. I ended up eating at this diner and selected the grilled chicken sandwich with........... french fries. The ff were wonderful but I'm going to have to get in some extra exercise tonight to work those buggers off to keep within my calorie count for the day.

Have a great day everyone - I need to get back to work.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #217  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Day 19- stop fooling yourself

I can't find my Beck book so I took this from a website with Beck info on it to start the Day 19 discussion

Quote:
"Dieters have an amazing ability to delude themselves about food." Beck lists examples of "fake" excuses such as: --I'll eat it only this one time -- It's not that fattening -- I'll make up for it by eating less later -- It won't matter --It'll go to waste -- I'll disappoint someone if I don't -- Everyone else is eating it -- I'm celebrating --I really want it --It's a special occasion --I'm upset and I just don't care --I'm craving it and I'll probably just eat it eventually .

To stop fooling ourselves, notice what goes through our minds the next time we have an urge to eat. She recommends making a response card such as "It's not okay..." and including things such as how "it's not ok to eat unplanned food of any kind. I'm just trying to fool myself. Every time I eat something I'm not supposed to I strengthen my giving-in muscle. Though I might feel good for a few seconds, I'll feel bad afterwards. If I want to lose excess weight and keep it off I absolutely must stop fooling myself."
Well. This is good to read tonight. I am at the end of my food for the day/night. I feel the urge to eat very strongly. In fact I ate too fast today; I ate unplanned food, padding out my meals and making them last longer. I just feel tense and I want food to fix it. I want my food to take care of my craft business worries. I want food to solve all my problems. In reality food can do only one thing, and that's give me nourishment so my body can access energy so I can go do all the things I need to do.

I mostly use "It's okay if I eat this because I can fit it in my plan." Plenty of times I have fallen back on this and while it satisfies my weight watchers plan it does nothing to meet Beck's guidelines for "eating like a thin person".

What I need to remember is I don't want to "get away with something" ie. rebellious feelings against some sort of outside force that I can't wait to fool... sheesh and what is infinitely more productive is the idea that I don't want to fool myself and eat what I don't need or use food to numb myself or soothe myself because I want to get past this behaviour already! Fooling myself to get away with eating more? What's that going to get me? Well I can tell you... it gets me to not lose weight. I can't lose weight if I eat more food than I need. Hello? And this is the opposite of what I say I want to do so... better to take the blinds off and use some Beck strategies to deal with these urges.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-23-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #218  

Hi peeps!
I am feeling really great today. At dinner tonight, one thing I had on my plate was a sweet potato. I was enjoying eating the softer part and not the harder part in the middle that oculd have used a bit more time in the oven. So I caught myself eating the part that I didnt' like the most in order to save the best part for last. ???? WHAT???? I realized that I didn't even need to eat the part I wasn't crazy about so I left it on my plate. Yahoo to me for leaving food on my plate!!! I also decided that I was mildly full after eating dinner and passed on dessert. I am sort of testing myself since eating something for dessert each night is sort of a habit (one that I want to keep for dd in order to make "treats" not so novel and highly desired.....).

That comment that coastalsue made yesterday really did resonate with me too-I am trying to listen to all parts of my body to respond to everyone's needs. Weird way to turn her thought around but it is working for me. I am in my workout clothes right now ready to hop on the treadmill since my muscles are screaming for an opportunity to move!!!

Cooking Light came in the mail today too which I always enjoy.

Off to plan tomorrow's food and then walk fast and watch something on tv.

Til tomorrow fellow Beckies....
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #219  

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone...

It is so nice to be a part of this group. This is the first time I have felt hope that I could change my brain and my body. Like so many I dreaded asking anyone to be my diet coach.

I have been a lab-rat in a University of Lethbridge study. Basically it is looking at long term side effects of the chemo protocols I have been on. Yesterday I had several tests physical and brain function. Of course the results won't be published for another year and I am only a case #.

However being the retired nurse and major snoop that I am I grabbed my chart as soon as the tech. left the room. I flipped directly to the IQ test results and was not surprised to see a significant IQ drop. I've often blamed my forgetfulness on chemo-brain.

Anyways I digress. I have some very poor communications habits. Some members of my family are "drama-queens" a term they actually use. So I tend to be the family problem solver. My hubby expects me to be tough and not to talk about my problems. I am always "fine". Just ask me... lol I'm fine how are you??

So I'm a little afraid to let my guard down here. I'm also a little afraid I will mix you up or say something profoundly dumb. It really is wonderful to feel hope. I know this is the only path to follow. I may wade through a few puddles or stumble the odd time but I will keep walking.

Just do the day everyone..
Old 04-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #220  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches – Yesterday at my day long meeting I sat within reach of the fruit and muffins. Again I was amazed that they drew so much attention from me. Again, I had some fruit for both my morning snack and afternoon snack, CREDIT moi. I finally broke the diversion when I told myself that I would eat nothing until my lunch, NO CHOICE. The attention broke and I fully focused on my meeting.

That profoundly embarrasses me, both that I can be so distracted by food of little interest and that the distraction broke using such a simplistic strategy. Perhaps to get over this I need to accept that I will continue to experience this kind of thinking from time to time and will need to use the unfair response (which I have thought didn't apply to me since I hadn't classified any feeling by that name). And I need to remember when I'm stuck that that's when I benefit from using the Beck strategies. Perhaps after just a few months on maintenance I've already dropped my guard a bit, smugly thinking I've beaten this. Methinks I also need to Stop Fooling Myself about how rapidly these odd feelings are going to disappear. Thanks onebyone for starting the discussion Re: Program-day 19: Stop Fooling Yourself.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Waving toward the West Coast. May the gods of Internet Service Providers find you fit to service.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Kudos for recognizing that you didn't have to eat the portion of the sweet potato that you didn't like. Double Kudos for leaving it on your plate. And Kudos for recognizing mildly full and skipping dessert. That was one mindfully eating dinner last night!!!

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Waving at the blur.

onebyone – Yes Yes Yes to "better to take the blinds off and use some Beck strategies to deal with these urges." Kudos for eating within your Weight Watchers plan. Sending supporting thoughts for getting your arms wrapped around this transition from creative art student to productive art entrepreneur.

amy (gahundy) – Big Kudos for touching the step when you did squats. Just WOW for all that varied exercising - you're really taking care of yourself.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Thanks for the reminder of the strategies of meeting the challenge of eating slowly and mindfully. I think you're smart to recognize that these are important enough to warrant the effort you're applying to them. I am so able to eat past mildly full on noble foods, just like your cauliflower example.

Robin (RobinW) - I love your t-shirt ideas, particularly, "Beckers kNOw Choice!" I'd flip if I saw someone wearing that at my gym.

Lori (elkfordian) - And I'm glad that you've become part of the group here. LOL at the antics of a "retired nurse and major snoop." Kudos for your focused approach to your difficult health situation. Sending supportive thoughts for the continued success of your therapy plan.

Kathy (tresor) - LOL at your Helpful Response: "Get thee behind me Evil Chips" You scared the thoughts out of your mind. Kudos for your morning walk, seems like you've found your way to get your exercise in your schedule.

Readers – "… I predict that her latest contribution to the field, The Beck Diet Solution, will have a profound impact on people who wish to lose weight.
Aaron T. Beck, M.D.
University Professor of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
School of Medicine" From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 11.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 04-24-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #221  
persist

Default Thursday

Good Morning Coaches

It's a bright sunny morning here. I'm getting used to the good weather. It makes everthing so easy. I'm busy these days getting the school's ceramic studio in order. I am the ceramic technician at the school I go to and I have put all that work off as I was hunkering down for those final weeks of final projects, but now I need to get the work done before the Spring semester really kicks in. Two general level ceramic classes started last night and the night before. I thought they were starting next week. I was wrong. So I've already put in 10 hours getting things cleaned and there is much more to do. On top of this, my first outdoor market starts a week from Sunday. This means I need to make a bunch of things to sell. I had hoped to have a new market display system but I won't get to that. No way. And my body? well it wants to stop and smell the roses. And sleep. Boy do I want to just rest. I have a food challenge coming up today. There's an opening at the school gallery tonight and I'll be there. The vernissage, as openings are called,
will have snacky foods, drinks and sweets. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work and seeing who is at the opening. Unfortunately it'll all be at the end of my workday at the schoiol so I'll be both tired and hungry. I don't want to slip up and eat whatever I feel like cause I see it. Maybe I'll make a plan to go out and have a real dinner and then go back to the school for the vernissage after eating. That'd probably help.

BillBlueEyes
Quote:
That profoundly embarrasses me, both that I can be so distracted by food of little interest and that the distraction broke using such a simplistic strategy.
No need to feel embarrassed chum! Food and food thoughts do not come from a rational place in us, or we would never need a whole slew of strategies to fight them off and stop us from doing what we say we don't want to do. Where's the disconnect happening anyway? What exactly are those urges? It doesn't originate (solely) in our thoughts but it can be tamed by our thoughts and attitudes. That you see it so clearly in yourself is phenomenal. Your actions prove that this Beck way of dealing with food is very powerful indeed. You're awesome! Kudos.

elkfordian I want to encourage you to say whatever it is you need to say to help yourself stay on plan. You can't say anything "profoundly dumb" when you are just talking about what's going on with you or how you are trying to work this plan or telling us aobut your life. How would this be possible? It's not. And what kind of coaches would we be if we were here to criticize you? We are here to help each other, and that includes you! Beck strategies are worth the work to implement them in our everyday lives.

hbuchwald This whole business of eating the worst part to save the good part for last--the real definition of a food reward for sure ... wow... I so relate. You're to be congratulated for realizing you could throw that food away!

tresor the last time I had a food talk to me were the one bite brownies at the last vernissage I was at last week. They were sitting on a clear plate, piled high, catching my attention no matter where I stood in the room. I so wanted to eat them all. I resisted, then calculted in my head what they could be worth and whether they fit into my food plan, they did, so I had one. One. I felt so disappointed to only have one. How many did I really want? 4-6. Would anyone ever see me eat 4-6 in public? Nope. One did not do it. It made me feel cranky. I'll need to remember this tonight at the vernissage where, no doubt, there will be more of these manufactured treats.

gahundy Hope the exercise class went well and you got a good full body workout

RobinW I am excited for your meeting with the personal trainer. Hope it gives you exactly what you're looking for

ladybugnessa You're doing some really good solid groundwork here for yourself. Excellent! Hope you and DH are both doing well today...
Old 04-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #222  

Diet Coaches: I'm still here at Day 11 working on Hunger, Cravings & Desire to eat. I'm putting Days 11 & 13 together since they are about cravings and I'm going to concentrate on them for a few days. I'm not going to do Day 12 (skipping lunch alltogether) until I have the right day. I know that I can do it. Recently DH & I went out for a day of shopping in the big city (about an hour away) and we were going to finish up at our favorite Italian restaurant. We skipped lunch while we did our shopping and I was getting hungry but we'd just hit another store. The hunger pangs did go away and we had an early dinner about 4:30 and all was well. So I know for a fact that a good day of shopping will make the hunger pangs go away!!

Another day of getting up 45 minutes early to get in a 3 mile walk. That makes 3 workdays so far this week and I pray for the strength to do it again tomorrow morning to make it 4 days. I did it 3 days last week so I have to do better this week. Saturday morning will be gardening and a 5-6- mile run. Credit me!!

Even though I haven't started responding to everyone individually (I'm still trying to get to know all of you), I enjoy and appreciate all of the words of wisdom that you all are sharing. I appreciate that the only negative words are words that we project about ourselves and then there is always someone on this thread that will come to the rescue with positive reassurances that we are only human and will get back on track. Thanks so much!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #223  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Afternoon!

Onebyone~ Thanks! Ive been wanting to hire her for 3 yrs. I even made an appointment last march (2007) but cancelled it because I wasnt in the right place.

Bill~ Im reading your post, and Im imagining little placecards infront of me at my meetings with these little sayings on them. Wouldnt everyone want to know what they were all about?

to everyone, Im sorry I dont have time to say more.....Im sneaking in, inbetween shirt orders.

Ive always been guilty of eating when I am exhausted. I dont know why, I just do. Well when I got home last night after my final meeting....I crashed on the couch! Instead of getting up and finding something to eat.....I picked up my Beck Workbook that I had set on my end table. It wasnt until I was finished reading for the evening did I realize what I did. I didnt eat....I read, and I read something that will help me eat like a normal person Way Cool!

Have a great day everyone. Remember to do something for yourself today, that makes you feel absolutely wonderful about yourself.

Last edited by RobinW; 04-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #224  
persist

Default not smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
Ive always been guilty of eating when I am exhausted. I dont know why, I just do. Well when I got home last night after my final meeting....I crashed on the couch! Instead of getting up and finding something to eat.....I picked up my Beck Workbook that I had set on my end table. It wasnt until I was finished reading for the evening did I realize what I did. I didnt eat....I read, and I read something that will help me eat like a normal person Way Cool!
RobinW I just read this and wish I would have remembered to get my computer fired up before I had lunch. I didn't write it down and I ate longer than I should have, even stopping in between to check in if I was still hungry, nope, but I decided to eat my soup anyway. Here, right now, I think I ate because I am "stocking up". I was worried about what I would be eating at the event tonight, worried a bit about the event itself, and totally forgetting about Beck. *sigh* I can't believe I did this again. *sigh again*.
Okay. The damage isn't irrepairable. I have eaten more than I am allowed on plan for the day, provided I don't get any exercise in so I am planning a walk to the bus stop to help rectify what I've done. There's still the food challenges ahed of me at the vernissage tonight... Sigh. It's an "Oh Well" I did it again. Don't make it worse kind of thing. Start again. I was home to eat lunch cause I decided to lie on the couch and relax before heading into the school this afternoon and I fell asleep. I knew I was tired, then woke up starving and sleepy without having anything ready to eat and I had some of this, and some of this and some of this and ooo...that sounds good I'll have some of that.

I'm going to locate my book now.
************************************************** ************************************
Okay I wanted to come back and update this. I went to the vernissage and suprise! Super small food again, and lots of talking and looking at all the great work, so I did okay, and got some exercise in and when I added it all up I'm okay for the day. I still feel like eating everything though... OH WELL... I'm going up to bed. Tomorrow will be a new day.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-24-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default all fun and games...

This has been all fun and games until I get to day 5. Eat slowly?? Be mindful of my eating???? What??

I am a little stressed over the concept of eating slowly. I very seldom get to eat alone, I have a 14 month-old and am a SAHM. I realize other people do it with many more children than I have, I just haven't figured out how to do it yet!! I am nervous about day five. I think this may be one of the biggest challenges I have!

Out of curiosity, in addition to Billblueyes, are there other people that have successfully completed the entire 6 week program?
Closed Thread