Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'3"

Good morning once again, I am not the hide and seek champ, as I can not fit into cupboards like a 5 year old. He wins the game once again. I asked him why anyone has to win, his answer was, "no one has to win, but I did win." Yikes.
His friend is coming over in a little while so we will probably outside most of the day. We will get exercise without even trying,,,,I like those days.
One by One congrats on your success at school. Where in Canada are your from. I live in Eastern Ontario.
Northwest. Welcome, are you on ww?
Amy that is such a wonderful thing you are doing, going to the funeral home to welcome that soldier home. Thank you. I do hope your day goes well for you. It is nice to see you are doing well.
Good morning Bill have a wonderful day. I know you will.
I will be back, I am being beckoned...
Have a wonderful day all.
Ann

Last edited by AnnCan1111; 04-19-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #182  

HI there everyone,
Sounds like sunny weather in several places. Not here-we had snow last night! Oh well, Spring will come here too eventually.

Getting ready for dd's big soccer game and the birthday party after lunch today. I must get a lot of stuff done in between and will relax tonight. Tomorrow another busy day of skiing and helping my dad set up his new computer. I am slightly stressed that I overscheduled us this weekend but have prioritized what needs to be done and am letting go of the rest of it. I must relax a bit too or I will be a crazy mama for sure.

So far so good with food today. Things are good.

Quickly, I vote a bit fat "yes" on the art therapy idea, walking is great especially in shorts and tshirt on a nice day, thanks for visiting returning soldier (hugs...), and I dont' fit into the cupboards but do fit into the spare room closet for the rousing game of hide and seek! Waving right back to the cool looking spaceman-you are WAY talented, I am truly impressed! Welcome northwest neighbor...I am from seattle area...you?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #183  

Hello all

Welcome NorthWest!! I work with some friends to be diet coaches but there was an awkwardness-They just didn't understand the work needed to deal with changing food habits-Love using this site VERY helpful as coaches!

It is very chilly and so windy gusts- +45miles-just not swimming weather-No power outage yet but this is so common with so much wind. Glad the East coast has some glorious weather-enjoy.

Remaining on my food plan. I need to be more successful in not "believing" my sabatoging thoughts. Somedays they arise and I can easly work them thru and let them go and other days they just start stock pilling and then I get "overwhelmed" by them. Anyway this is the area I need to work on. My goal is to write down 3-5 sabatoging thoughts each day and then a write a positive responses to them. I am good with a food journal, but next I need to be as aware of my moods particularily those thoughts which encourage me to overeat.

Heidi-I need to use my stationary bike more often-your treadmill goal is inspring me. I plan to use the bike 3 x a week for 5 minutes each time-no much but a start for me-sound like you have the chills up there also-real chills with snow.

Onebyone so wonderful to hear you love of doing art along with others recognizing your talent. Much success to you. I enjoy handcrafts and periodically made stuff for craft shows. In fact our lastest adventure is handcrafted and decorated birdhouses.-While it is very mixed on how much money people make-one friend does stunning painted silk scraves and does thousand at shows. I also think that art therapy can be such a help for people to express themselves dealing with life stresses. As an art therpaist you could do both-work part time and do you individual art also. You are talented!!
lights are flicking so posting this
sue
Old 04-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #184  

HI again

BillBlueEyes-glad you enjoyed your artichockes-I love the slowness of eating them- kind of a fun ritual-removing each leave, the meat under that thistle part-

Ann-your days sounds delightful being and playing with DS. We enjoy our grandchildren but honestly we rest for hours after they leave. We are doing our Beck exercises to re-learn to eat like your son-so uncomplicated yet so healthy. We'll get there again.

Gahundy-Such a painful event-We'll be there in spirit.

mom3-I have painful arthritis in the knees and also looking for good exercising program to get my pluse up. The "sit and be fit series" is ok but not as robust as I would like but it is something.-some time I get videos from the library to try them out 1st. Let me know what you do like.

Ladybugnessa-hoping your DH health is improving!! Much credit for remaining on your food plan.

Once a week we have been cooking and delivering a meal to couple near by-Last night we did a bit of "fancy" meal- included a fig sauce with the pork loin, fresh beets and green beans with pine nuts. We had the half the the dinner for us at home. It was very satisfying and plentiful . Here is the wierd responses we both wanted alot more-we were full but meal was more fancy than normal and we both reacted like was a celebration and therefore we should have more than normal. It was like the out of the ordinary signaled must eat more-luckly there was no more left!! What should have been very satifying meal turned into a bit of food lusting for us. Think I have made my cooking so routine while being on the food plan-need to learn to have more glamorus meals in moderation. Maybe that food exercise of throwing out food from my plate would be more significant if I was leaving more exotic foods on my plate.

A big wave to everyone these weekend
sue
Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #185  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default more

Hi again coaches.

Well I started out at 11:30am to go pick up my BP pills at the Costco, a 40 minute busride away. I like the bus. And it's such a great day today. I got my medicine, and started walking to the closest grocery store, about 30 minutes, then walked further down the street to see if I couldn't find myself some sandals. It was one of those days when nothing was right. Some shoes were pretty, but uncomfortable. Others comfy but old-lady-ish. Not what I want. I was hoping to give them to myself as my non-food reward but I came home empty handed. By the time I arrived home I had walked about 2hours worth. That was my real reward. But exhausted and tired we ordered in: large pizza deal with wings, salad, dessert. I wrote out what I would have. I stuck to it but added an unplanned dessert. That's why I am here posting. I didn't give myself a non-food reward and I don't want some part of me to replace that with "I deserve more food since I didn't get anything else" type of thinking.
I can't be loose with my food and still lose weight as Dr. Beck says. So far so good. I'll be glad I didn't give in tomorrow, that's for sure.

northwest Welcome! I have found this group to be fantastic for keeping me on track and for getting insight into my own behaviour and for supporting me when I try to change it. Good for you for starting!

AnnCan1111 I'm in Ottawa. We are in the same neck of the woods methinks... I am sure you were enjoying the same 27C day as I was

hbuchwald ugh! Snow. I may be enjoying this weather, but I know in my heart we could be having snow at any time. Sorry you have to deal with that. I hope you get a chance to rest up.

coastalsue Happy to hear you're doing well. Sorry for the weather being too cold to swim. So you make birdhouses? Neat! I make things from plastic and sell folk art style paintings. Have supported myself with this work for 17 years now, off and (mostly) on. I've seen people make lots of money some years, scrape by others. Same with me. I really just want to be able to do what I like to do. I'm just now wondering if there isn't something more I could do with what I like to do, which is why the art therapy angle is on my mind. Your fancy meal sounded delicious. I find it hard to separate "special food" from "special occasion" too. Enjoy the rest of your day
Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #186  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Passover

Diet Coaches – Got my new sump pump installed. CREDIT moi. But, much more impressive, I sent the old one to be recycled. My gut tendency is to keep it, even though shorted and unrepairable, in case there's some part on it that I can use later. So sending it back into the system instead of taking space in my basement and my mind is a step forward for me. Big CREDIT moi for that. Continue today with an overbooked weekend - over busy seems to be the topic of the denizens of this thread lately.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for staying on plan. What an amazing story that the special meal inflamed the "celebrate and eat more" feelings. Most of my over eating was of mediocre food - in the zoned out thinking mode. But peak eating happened at celebrations. I'll watch for that next time we have a special meal at home. (The fig sauce on pork and pine nuts on beans sounds sooo YUMMY.) Leaving an exotic food on my plate is, right now, beyond even my dreams, LOL. Hope you get a break in the weather so that you can swim.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Ouch for your snow when you're ready for spring. Waving at you and DD skiing today, suspecting that she'll give you some serious exercise trying to keep up with her. Hope that you get some down time.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Waving at the blur.

onebyone – Really like your painting of a space walking astronaut checking out Canadarm, the Canadian built Space Shuttle Remote Manipulator System (SRMS). (We critics are free to add any interpretation we choose to a painting, LOL.) Congrats on the scale reading under the 250 milestone. Kudos for shopping for a "Gold and glittery and over the top" reward for completing second year. And Kudos for all the walking. What a neat idea to move into Art Therapy. You could help people express themselves through the voice that most therapists can't hear. Is there such a field already established or do you have to create it?

amy (gahundy) – Hope your "dreaded weekend" is going well - hot oatmeal for breakfast should get the body going. Sounds like you're making conscious decisions to get the mind going.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Waving. Hope all is going well.

Ann (AnnCan1111) - Quite a Diet Coach you have there with your 5 year old DS: stops when he feels full; mucho spontaneous exercise. Does he take new clients?

northwest - Kudos for going out to buy Beck's book. What a great demo of overcoming what Beck calls a Thinking Error - "I can't read Beck's book because my daughter hasn't returned it." I do that all the time, but would require an intervention by someone to tell me, "Just buy yourself another one", LOL.

Readers – "It is with great pride that I wholeheartedly endorse this book. My pride is both professional and personal, since Judith is my daughter. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 11.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #187  
persist

Default Sunday morning

Good morning coaches.

I hopped on the scale to monitor my weight and expected to see that 249 of yesterday gone and nope! Still there, even with the measured pizza and wings. Gee. It is real. Need to open the Beck book and read the Believe It chapter today. Now I just have to stay the course and I can journey through the 240's. I am now maintaining an 11lb loss since joing this group and starting Beck. Yay!

Today I am starting on a project for the farmers' markets. I am putting a package of stuff together to sell so I have to change hats from student to maker/marketer. Marketer is the toughest. I have a lot of scanning and working on the computer downstairs ahead of me today. Maybe it'll go faster than I suspect. Maybe I'll enjoy it more than I think. I'll only know by starting.

BillBlueEyes I enjoy your interpretation of my painting. Officially it's called "Hi Mom"...thought you might enjoy that title. I have the same hoarding/saving instinct that you do. I'd also be very inclined to keep the old pump and so kudos to you indeed for letting it go enrich the life of someone else.

Ladybugnessa I was thinking of you and your DH this morning, hoping that you are both well today. Just wanted to say hello.

mom3
Quote:
Wow - seems like a much more positive day for everyone. I'm getting ready to do the day with the hunger monitoring. Still working on the sitting to eat. What's the workbook?
I just wanted to answer this question in case you didn't know that the Beck Diet Solution has a workbook that is big, with a hot pink cover, and it breaks down all the challenges and introduces one each day. You have blank spaces in the book to write out your experiences and your emotions and you have a checklist to mark off too. Lots of charts. I only have the workbook and found it fantastic and very doable. http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solu...8693685&sr=8-1 That's a link to the workbook.
If you already knew all this, forgive me. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was out there cause I found it very very helpful. This program is worth all the work.

Gotta go!

Becksters, enjoy your day of rest.

Last edited by onebyone; 04-20-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #188  

Good morning everyone. I've had a busy weekend with yardwork, visiting with family from out of town (which means we all had dinner together last night). I did well with dinner - I watched portions, ate only half of my dessert and ate slowly.

Today I got in a 4 mile run before the rain started. I'm getting ready to do some things around the house and then settle in with the Beck book and workbook to review what's in store for this week.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll be checking in with you all tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #189  
Determined to lose!

S/C/G: 179/156/5 lbs. at a time

Height: 5 ft. 3.5 in.

Sunday, day 2 back using Beck. I went a bit over my points plan. Lack of planning. Not a big deal, however, because I did the following:
ate slowly, sitting down, tasting every bit
wrote down everything i ate
excercised as planned

I already feel more in control. Good for me!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #190  

Height: 5'4"

Greeting to all..

I had to smile once I realized how many Canadians are finding this group. I am in the SE corner of BC. I live in a small mountain village. We are literally the highest (elevation-wise) community in BC.

I do have a friend from Ont. that went to university in Calgary towards a art therapy degree. She had a problem with getting accreditation and is now teaching in Vancouver. So Onebyone make sure you really check into that end of things.

I do have family in the USA as well. It still amazes me how the internet has changed communication. Here we all are..lol

I am really glad I ordered the work book. It is so nice to be able to copy pages. I've been taking my time and will start Day 4 tomorrow.

I am still processing that my cancer Dr. said losing weight will be more beneficial to me than anymore chemo. I totally agree but do feel some sadness that I allowed my body to get this way.

It is time to forgive myself and move forward but that is taking a little time. Thank you all for your posts...

Find a smile today..L
Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #191  

Hi friends,
Whew! I had a great day of skiing and spending time with dd and my dad. I did get some great exercise and was able to relax yesterday in between "events" and will do so again after I sign off here.

I was getting the munchies after we came home tonight and didn't have any more planned food today and was not hungry. NO CHOICE. More like, not hungry? No food. I will eat again tomorrow.... kudos moi.

Love reading what everyone is saying..keep up the hard work.

Until tomorrow, Heidi
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 AM   #192  

hello all,

End of a pleasantly busy weekend and stayed on my food plan! I get periodic bouts of insomnia-re-organizing and cleaning the house until 3 AM. Much credit in that I didn't eat during the 2 very late nights-used to believe food would help me to go to sleep-Can tell tonight there will not be a problem going to sleep but really miss the hr of swimming which is so relaxing and calming.

Weather is still very unseasonable cold( in the high 30's and 40's) and very windy-just not swimming weather-even our cat will not venture outside-she hates the wind!!

Heidi your weekend sound great-Much credit for not eating at night-always the hardest time for me.

Elkfordian-Been to BC once and loved it-love its cool temps, natural beauty and stunning coast-Some aspects of usa culture drive me crazy and often find Canada much saner. So right to forgive yourself and focus on the postive-

NOrthwest-great foundation of skills for those long term changes-much credit for your weekend.

OnebyONe-great loss!! Also for sticking to your plan with dealing a dinner of goodies of Pizza ect-particularily after a 2 hr walk. What are you selling at the market? Just applied for an end of May fair. Be bumed if juried out.

Billblueeyes- a hugh Yeah for recycling the pump-My DH just can't do that yet-plus we have one acre way too much room for such treasures. If there is any chance of any valuable wood, mechanic part, casters, pulley, it remain at our place- to his credit he did make a really cool fence to hide the junk better.

To all of continue success of mindful eating

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 04-21-2008 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #193  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches – Finished off the busy weekend with a long walk touring some of the eskers, drumlins, kettle holes, and erratics left by the Wisconsin Glacier when it retreated from Massachusetts some 10,000 years ago. Just read that the last remnant of the Wisconsin Glacier still exists, carefully preserved by Canada, in the north of Baffin Island. A new place in Canada for me to visit. Does look a bit close to the Arctic though.

Per a previous discussion about spontaneous eating: Yesterday I faced two occasions where plates of cookies were offered. At lunch, I joyfully accepted one small fresh baked homemade oatmeal-cranberry-Macadamia-nut cookie. My judgment was that I would feel deprived if I passed. I'm pleased that today - the morning after - I feel no need to second guess my choice. CREDIT moi for that. It was a safe circumstance for me. I had no difficulty sticking to only one even though the tin was passed around several times. I ate the cookie then went right back to the bag of raw veggies that were part of my lunch. I savored the one and then savored my Red Bell Pepper that was so cold and sweet. Cookies were offered at a committee meeting that evening. I'm pleased that there was no after affect - I wasn't drawn to three plates of manufactured cookies just because I had broken the cookie barrier earlier. CREDIT moi.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Hope the winds die down so that you can get back to your therapeutic swimming. If I had an acre I'd slowly fill it with small sheds full of my should-have-been-discarded-long-ago junk. That fence sounds like a good contribution to keeping yours under control. Kudos for avoiding munchies during your late night activities. You really are moving along.

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Kudos for all the fun exercise. Big Kudos for standing down the Desire for munchies. Do you have some relaxing time for yourself scheduled this week?

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Waving at the blur.

onebyone – LOL at the title of your painting, "Hi Mom" - what a kick. Kudos for keeping those 11 pounds at bay even through the end of school crazies; good idea to revisit the Believe It chapter. I'm still surprised to find that I expect my loss to evaporate overnight by sliding down the slippery slope.

amy (gahundy) – Hope your weekend continued in a sane and refreshing manner.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Sending supporting thoughts to you and your DH.

Lori (elkfordian) - Sending supporting thoughts for your efforts "to forgive myself and move forward." Sometimes I can help me to forgive myself by imagining me forgiving someone else for the same offense. Then gently shifting that forgiveness toward myself. I am so harsh judging me.

Kathy (tresor) - Kudos for doing well with a family dinner; big family gatherings can be such a challenge when they bring up old feelings that have been soothed by food in the past - whether feelings of joy or tension. And Kudos for planning for next week. I remain convinced that planning is the secret to long term success using the Beck strategies.

northwest - Kudos for giving yourself credit. And Big Kudos for keeping your perspective after "a bit over my points plan." It's a trait of thinking like a thin person to be able to see one's eating with perspective whether over or under plan.

Readers – "… I speak objectively, however, when I say that she is not only a world expert in Cognitive Therapy, but also a gifted therapist, supervisor, and teacher. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 11.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #194  
persist

Default New Week Begins

Hello coaches

I've got a challenge ahead of me this evening, a social gathering. DH and I were invited over to a friend's house for a reunion of folks who used to sell at the same outdoor market 10+ years ago. It'll be nice to see who's going to be there. Honestly, I never want to go to these things. But once there it's just fine. I enjoy myself. I need to remember I am there for the people and not the food or the drink. A bit of each will suffice.

I've slacked off with pre-planning and writing the food down the night before. I just wanted to write that down so I make sure I correct that. Planning and especially pre-planning really helps me.

Gotta run.
Will check in later.
Have a great Monday...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #195  

Today is day 8 and planning an exercise program. Days 8, 9 & 10 are all about planning and making time for exercise. I have already been working on this so I am lumping all 3 days into one. Tomorrow will be Day 11 where I have to concentrate on hunger, desire & cravings. I'm going to keep this in mind today as well so I can really focus on Day 11 tomorrow. I did have a few hunger pangs last week and they felt kinda good. They made me feel in control and I credit myself for letting the hunger pangs pass as I knew that I would be having a planned meal soon.

Everyone have a great day and keep up the good work.
Closed Thread