Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

this will be a quickie...
i survived the weekend in good shape! i stayed in my calorie range and i feel so good about that! i still had a hard time getting out of bed this morning but at least i dont' feel like i am starting over on my diet again. well i need to get busy on some other things...hopefully i will be back for personals later...amy
Old 04-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone. I am a new Beck-user. My husband and I started using the book last night. My doctor recommended I go to a local hospital-run clinic which does similar cognitive behavior therapy for weight loss. I figured I would try the book first. It is much less expensive than the clinic. I had never heard of it until Kuhljeanie mentioned it on another forum. I look forward to reading through the posts.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #198  

Hi there everyone,
People seem to be doing well, using Beck strategies. Nice move on the "one cookie only" maneuver BBE!!! And I hope that Sue can swim soon. Kudos to everyone else too for the great things happening.

Our weather has been really crazy here too. I saw sun afterschool and got excited to assemble the tandem bike thingie that I bought and take dd on a bike ride. By the time we got home, it was raining and I was dog tired. I still assembled the bike and we took a short jaunt around the neighborhood and we are really excited about the possibilities!

Kudos to me for sticking to my eating plan, for getting that bike together and for going to bed early tonight! I also continue to be pleased about cooking most meals and having plenty of leftovers for lunches and repeats. Yahoo! I feel really good and am looking forward to my salsa dance class tomorrow night. Wish me luck....I do have s smidge of fear of the unknown but am mostly excited about dancing and learning and getting out and doing something for me.

Til tomorrow, Heidi
Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 AM   #199  

Howdy,

Welcome kidlibrarylady!! glad you are joining us-Tons of support here to help each other with those Beck concepts.

I get alot of credit for remaining on food plan. I made the yuckest dinner yet-bland salmon patties (with such a weird texture), horrible canned organic lentils soup and too much vinegar in the salad dressing (trying to save cals and used too little olive oil-) All night I wanted to taste some real food- toast and PB and Jelly, cereal ect-bland food is soo boring!! Dh was the best -never complained but did have peanuts and a drink later. Tomarrow on to some spicy chicken dish-
I did swim for 45 minutes today-when I was getting concerned about not having enough time and all the things I had to get done, I told my mind to calm down and I needed to swim for the silent partners in my body- the lungs, improved circulation ect-It is odd to see how often my "mind" can sabatoge me which ruminations of "no time" "do this or else", "Poor you eat this to feel better". Feel like I am learning that my mind can make alot of mistakes-implusive drives to do unhealthy things. Another part of me is starting to see the big picture-less implusive behaviors, more long term health gains.
some of the implusive behaviors were part of our entertainment-jump in the car and get coffee and sweet roll, quick meal out of unknown calorie count, drinks and snacks at a fun bar. Not the end of the world, but I do miss it a bit. In past after tonight's dinner we would have "deserved" to go to the store and get some caloric dessert to make up for the bad dinner.

Heidi hope the dance class is great fun-much credit for doing the adventure!!
We are also to have rain by tomarrow-just odd weather for the Northwest these weeks.

BillBlueeyes- Great to hear about your cookie enjoyment-sounded like mindful eating of the cookie which when done you continue to be mindful of the veggies which you had planned on. spontaneous enjoyment in moderation which did not trigger that slippery slope feeling or behaviors!! That is a good day. PS Dh already filled the 4 attractive sheds- (a japanese tea house, victorian cottage-partial done but already filled, wooden yurt (with compression ring), board and batten shed)with "stuff". He loves to build things.Thus all the raw materials.

Tresor-Found the chapters on hunger, desire and cravings so important. I learned so much of my drive to eat has nothing to do with hunger!, even if hungry that sensation does pass and certainly not an emergency-I always thought it was or at least an excuse to eat anything available-regards of how many cals it was.

onebyone-have fun and great you have a plan for tonight.

Amy Hugh Credit for good weekend!!

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 04-22-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #200  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome KidsLibrarylady

KidsLibrarylady

Welcome to the Beck Diet Solution Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Coach Group.

And, in case you didn't get one of these when you joined nearly 3 years ago,

Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #201  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches – Ate on plan. Walked on plan. Gym'd on plan. A good day. CREDIT moi. The next three days at work will be busy and stressful - no time for lunch time walks. A walk does wonders for my head to break up my day. But then again, remaining employed also does wonders for my head. Oh Well.

Not-bland Sue (CoastalSue) - Kudos for talking back to the Sabotaging Thoughts. It's really neat that you take the time to identify them and respond. Such a clear reminder that it's our thinking that needs to be corrected to stay on plan. Kudos for the swim; hope the weather stays clear enough to take your "silent partners" for more. LOL at your DH for making such attractive buildings to fill with cherished "stuff." Just trying to visualize a storage yurt!

Heidi (hbuchwald) - Big Kudos for giving yourself credit. Kudos for getting the tandem bike assembled and out for a test drive. Did DD like it? And Kudos for working a bunch of strategies, including the cooking. Good luck on the Salsa dance class - what a kick.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Waving to the blur.

onebyone – Hope the social evening went well. Good reminder that you're there for the people, not the food and drink. Kudos for focusing on your need to get back to pre-planning.

amy (gahundy) – Big Kudos for the on plan weekend - you tackled your big nemesis! Do you know what you did to make that work? Would be great if you could identify some of the steps you took so that you can plan ahead to try them again next weekend.

Nessa (ladybugnessa) - Sending supporting thoughts for you and DH. Hope all is going well.

Kathy (tresor) - Good luck on your hunger day exercise. That one was an eye opener for me; I had forgotten that hunger passes. I fully thought it was an emergency. Kudos for "letting the hunger pangs pass" - you're ahead of the game.

KidsLibrarylady - Good luck starting down the Beck path. Are you making your Advantages Card? It's great that you have your DH as a co-conspirator.

Readers – "… In addition to writing more than 50 articles and chapters on a variety of applications of Cognitive Therapy, she has also written several books, including the basic textbook in our field that has been translated into 18 languages and is used worldwide. … " From the Forward by Aaron T. Beck, M.D., Beck, pg 11.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #202  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Good Tuesday Morning

Hi Coaches

DH and I went to the reunion of market vendors last night. It was really low key, very easy, very "just drop by and say hello". We really are an interesting bunch of people. I saw many people I only barely knew back then and a few who I really talked with on those long summer days in the market. Fun! Food-wise they ahd thoughtfully served small half-size bits of food: egg rolls cut in two, small sausage bites, veggies, fruit, bits of things so I had a few bits of thigsn but not enough to really feel any kind of fullness or anything. Stayed away from the chicken wings, but strangely, didn't even desire them. Did have a glass of wine, my first in a year maybe? Not a big drinker here. It was good though. The weather was awesome, so summery, like a mid June night. DH and I walked to the party from the bus stop, about 15 minutes and walked back to the bus stop inspite of ride offeres. So I got in some unplanned exercsie that way.

Yesterday we had a meeting about our final year and what classes we need to take for it. Turns out they are all manadatory. How will I do Intermediate Printmaking now?? Maybe I can audit it is what I am wondering... But that's besides the point. We are to "dream big" for ourselves and see what comes to us. What kind of artist do we want to be in the future? What do we want for ourselves. Myself, I want shows all over the world. I want to be an international artist. But with what? I have to picture that part too and it's still foggy; good thing I have a few months.

Better run now. Have to get to school.

Have a great day you guys!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #203  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Good Morning my Beck Buddies. I re-commited to Beck last night and made a NEW Advantage list. I admit some of them are B*tchy but oh well.. that's me.

i made this wallpaper on my computer at work printed two large copies one for my desk at work and one for my planner i also sent it to the computer at home so i'll upload it tonite...

here's my list:

1. I’ll be healthier
2. My kids will be proud of me
3. My dad will be proud of me
4. I’ll be proud of me
5. I’ll have accomplished something
6. Shopping will be fun
7. Sex will be better
8 I can get my ankle replaced
9. Yoga will be easier and therefore more fun
10. It sets a good example for the kids and hubby and others
11. Living well is the BEST REVENGE
12. Men watch me more when I’m thin
13. Getting thin is a positive thing that builds other positive things

my 2 plans have not changed South Beach diet and Weight watchers for my second choice

let's try for a few more days reviewed today.

dh is doing better. the leg wraps and meds seem to be working. he starts massage next week....

my weight is holding between 220 and 225 but i'm down from the begining of the month... 22 clean days of eating under my belt....

onebyone sounds like last night was good!

BillBlueEyes credit you for being on plan and getting your exercise and being employed and THANK you for being who you are and the rock and support of this thread. it's most appreciated by me (and others i am sure)

coastalsue kudos for trying new foods even if they didn't work out and credit to you for swiming. i can't wait to get back to the gym. my medical release is May 1!

hbuchwald HEIDI good food, good exercise, good sleep... GOOD for you!

KidsLibrarylady The word of BECK is spreading. it's a good thing. Welcome!

gahundy AMY glad it was a good weekend.

tresor I'm recommitting so i'm lumping days together too. yesterday was days 1 and 2... i'm not sure what today will hold yet...

have a great day everyone.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #204  

Good morning everyone. Yesterday started out well for me with good intentions but by the time I got home from work, I was in a mood. I stayed on plan with the eating but didn't get in my planned exercise. So moving on to this morning, I awoke at 6:15 and drug myself out of bed to get in a 2 mile walk. I was not going to leave exercising for the evening. I actually walked 3 miles and I have a strength training workout planned for this evening. Now that I have told all of you that I will exercise tonight, I have made a commitment to my coaches. There!!! Credit for me.

Today is my day to be aware of hunger, desire, cravings. I have my workbook out and will do the exercise for the day.

Nessa - #11 is my favorite saying. "Living well is the best revenge!" It got me thru a separation and divorce.

I'll check in with you all later - until then, keep up the good work.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #205  

S/C/G: 192/179/158

Height: 5'6"

Hello,
Working on day 11. I will have to have knee surgery in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of trying to swim at the indoor pool - non-weight bearing is supposed to be OK.

Maybe I haven't gotten this far - what to do when you go out to a dinner provided school event? It was spaghetti, bread sticks, salad and desserts. I looked at my plate after I'd served myself and I'd un-thinkingly loaded up on the pasta. Is this a leave some situation? Not sure what the "thin" thinking is on this subject.

Thanks for the info on the workbooks. I'm going to go check it out.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #206  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

KLL: welcome: i am so excited that you and hubby are doing this together! my hubby supports what i do, he just doesn't share it with me. of course he doesn't really need to lose weight.
Heidi: glad you got out the bike and went for a ride, even if it was a quickie. sounds like fun. ds has a bike and now i want one of my own so we can ride together. also dance class sounds great. kept trying to talk dd ballet teach into doing a ballet class for adults (minus the tutus and recitals) but she has so many other classses she has to teach, she just couldn't fit it in. hopeyou enjoy your class!
onebyone: great job at the market vendor party! it sounds likeyou had a great time! and you got a workout in too!
Nessa: glad hubby is doing better, it's so scary when they are sick and they also require so much more work
also LOVE your list! it is so open and honest, thanks for sharing it with us.
Bill: what can i say, you are always on plan with everything! i hope to be like you one day. you help keep me posisitive and somedays that ain't easy brother!
Kathy: you get extra credit for getting out of bed to exercise! i STILL haven't managed that one yet! GREAT JOB!!!

as for me, things are going very well. i have noticed that i have been very tired the last few days, so i did some research and i think i may be actually taking in too FEW calories to keep me functioning at an optimal level so i am trying to up my count to a full 1500 (right now i say i am between 12-1500, but am much closer to the 12-1300 range). My biggest problem with increasing my calories is that i am really just not feeling hungry, that is apparently a side effect of the meds i take for my migraines. wouldn't be a problem normally bu tby the time i get home i barely have the energy to cook dinner much less eat it and clean house. plus do what the kids want. if it weren't for the kids i wouldn't have eaten dinner the last two nights, i would have just gone straight to bed at 7 and been perfectly happy. any ideas on how to add healthy calories when you don't feel hungry?
well hope everybody has a great night...amy
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #207  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi everyone! just another blurry flyby...i have a group project i have to pull together for my group, to present tomorrow night. wanted to do it last night when we got back from florida, but i was sick sick sick and ended up going to bed at 5:00 pm. yipes. nasty stomach bug, can't seem to keep the food in my system long enough to get anything out of it. the upside is i'm down almost 4 lbs since we left for the wedding. yeah, it's all water weight, and it ain't pleasant coming out - but i have to look at the bright side, right?

hi kidslibrarylady! nice to see you here! these are some fabulous people. i need to PM you back (and onebyone too - i owe you a sensewear report) and i promise to do everything in about a week and a half, when the spinning of the world stops making me feel sick.

sounds like everyone is hitting a nice groove. yay!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #208  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Everyone!!

Nessa I love your list!! Keeping it as wallpaper on your pc is a great idea!!

Things are going good with me. I had read here earlier that there was Beck "workbook" Well, I found it on amazon, and it should be here by friday at the latest. My beck book is already getting very ragged looking

Today was some planned unplanned eating. Pretty tricky eh?! I was at a networking meeting this morning, and had my planned breakfast before I left. Did great, and when I got home to make my lunch I realized I didnt have anything left!!! Hubby finished off the chicken for his sandwiches. So I figured Id get something at the market. Well.......this customer comes in, and she was just at the deli next door. (that has amazing food, that goes directly to my already well padded places) She says, she's waiting for her salad. Im thinking what salad....they dont have salads!! Sure enough, I went over and got myself a nice chefs salad, and a monster sized pickle that I only ate 1/2 of. I now have some serious garlic breath

Tomorrow morning I have another networking meeting, and I will be seeing the personal trainer I want to talk to. I plan to make an appointment for late next week.

I havent decided if this is a good or bad thing.....but Im drinking coffee again.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #209  
Determined to lose!

S/C/G: 179/156/5 lbs. at a time

Height: 5 ft. 3.5 in.

Welcome to the group. I just joined myself. Lost 14 pounds a year ago by reading the book, practicing the skills, and following a modified version of the Weight Watchers diet. Kept the book by my bedside and reviewed skills that I needed to practice each night. Leant the book to my daughter, who lives in another city. Next thing you know, out of sight, out of mind, and I gradually started to gain weight back.

Bought another copy of the book and I'm back on track now. One of my biggest hang-ups was finding a diet coach. My schedule is such that I can't commit to Weight Watchers. I would gladly pay a diet coach if the service were offered. I found out about this group when I called the Beck Center in Philadelphia. So glad to have found this group!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #210  
Determined to lose!

S/C/G: 179/156/5 lbs. at a time

Height: 5 ft. 3.5 in.

Your story is quite an inspiration! One of the most useful tools that I've incorporated is "I can tolerate hunger, it will pass". Looking back, I actually see that I truly thought hunger was an emergency! That I had to eat immediately, like I would starve if I didn't eat. The other really helpful thing that I learned was how to differentiate between cravings and hunger. My brain experienced them as the same thing, but now I can really tell the difference and say to myself, "this is a craving, I don't have to give in to cravings, it strengthens my giving-in muscle, I want to strengthen my saying no muscle."
Closed Thread