Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #46  

Hey mylifenow. Glad to have you along for the ride. You are all set on LJ so start posting away!

I just got back from my Sat walk (and breakfast) with the gang in my running and walking club. This is really going well. So, I am off to shower and then start on Day 1!!

BTW - I sent an e-mail to the Beck Institute and told them about 3FC and the LJ. We will see if they respond.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #47  

Well, I am excited to be starting Day One! I have my cards ready, and I am going to sit down later when DH goes golfing and fill them out. I even figured out how to join the LJ community!

Ellen, one of my life goals is to walk a half-marathon first, and then a marathon. I actually wanted to do the half this year, but there is something wrong with my right foot, so I need to get that better first. My doctor isn't actually sure what the problem is (maybe a chronic sprain), so I have a referral to see a sports injury doctor in a month. Anyway, my goal is to get my weight under control, my foot healed, and do a half next year. I really applaud you in joining the walking group. Are you doing an event?

Hope everyone is having a great Day _ (insert your Day )

Jude

Last edited by Hey Jude; 05-19-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude View Post

Ellen, one of my life goals is to walk a half-marathon first, and then a marathon. I actually wanted to do the half this year, but there is something wrong with my right foot, so I need to get that better first. My doctor isn't actually sure what the problem is (maybe a chronic sprain), so I have a referral to see a sports injury doctor in a month. Anyway, my goal is to get my weight under control, my foot healed, and do a half next year. I really applaud you in joining the walking group. Are you doing an event?

Jude
No event for me this year, Jude. I am walking for the joy of it. I did a marathon in Dec '05 and a number of smaller races since. I figure 5 & 10Ks as they come up, but relax and enjoy this year. Maybe next year I will walk a half, maybe I'll be running again. Who know? I am working on living for the pleasure of today and stop worrying about the future. It is pretty new for me.

Good luck with your foot. You are smart for getting it checked out now. When you have everything cleared up and you are ready to start walking look at different training programs in your area. It is so much more fun with a group. If you have the opportunity, take a Chi Walking workshop (usually a few hours) and get good form habits that will prevent injury. I constantly tell my group the right posture prevents pain!

I just posted my Beck day on the LJ. Can't wait to see yours!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #49  

HI! I have been so busy this weekend. I will check in with you all tomorrow. It looks like you are all doing well!!

Ellen: I have the chi running book and I think I take in information in visually so I don't think I can get the technique from a book. I wish there were chi seminars in Iowa.

Jude: how was day 1??

Suz: how are you?? I haven't updated my journal this weekend. I am not sure if I can go back or just pick it up from here. I have missed the praise. I am doing it as I do things that I think are good but I really feel that putting it in my journal and really thinking about it really helps me internalize that I am doing something right.

Gina

Gina
Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #50  

Gina - don't stress on the Chi. Something similar may come your way. I looked at their website, and you are right, no instructors in Iowa. If you wanted to think about doing a workshop someplace together I would be up for it - just get your foot back first. You may also be able to find a Physical Therapist who can work with you on posture and gait. My PT was the one who told me about Chi.
There is also a DVD available, but I haven't seen it. Might be on Netflicks?

As far as the TBDS, this is your plan. If you felt you missed by being away this weekend, I say go back to Day 4 and re-start from there. In her book she says there is no right way to do this. You may need to spend a few days on one step before you move to the next. You may be able to do a few steps together. You know yourself best and if you feel you "missed", stay on Day 4 until you feel ready to move. I will say that Days 4 and 5 have been the best for me so far, and it is only 9am on Day 5. I say slow down and enjoy the changes you are learning. This is not a race.

Off to my workout. I'll update my LJ later today.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 AM   #51  

Thank you, Ellen. I will look into the dvd. My foot is fine I think it is Jude who has a problem with her foot.

I think I am going to keep sailing from here but continue to add praise to the end of my journals. I am getting pretty good at praise and I am using it for everything--including housework. I praised myself all morning about getting so much done but right before I left I looked through the house and began to get upset that I didn't mop and a few things weren’t where they were supposed to be. I almost undid all of the praise I had given myself this morning by beating myself up about it not being DONE yet. I prefer leaving the house tidy but have to give myself credit for what I got done and leaving the house looking better.

It really made me think about the part of the chapter 4 where she lists the sabotaging thoughts and she said "I don't deserve praise because I haven't lost the weight yet". I didn't think that applied to me. But this morning I almost let myself feel that I shouldn't have been praising myself because there was more to do and I had to leave it undone. I wonder if I have been doing this all along with my weight.

Judith Beck has me thinking about things that I have never really thought about before.

All or nothing and perfectionism really have a hold on me.

http://schaug.livejournal.com/

Gina

Last edited by GinaXOXO; 05-21-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: link
Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ooh, ooh, I wanna join!

I just finished Day 3. I'm really excited about this book. This is really my downfall when I'm trying to lose weight. I have no problem with exercise but when it comes to food...I'm the embodiement of all those little bulleted lists in the book.

For my diet I think I'm going to do weight watchers. On my own. I'm just not much of pay-to-get-weighed person.

I also started a blog:
http://iheartdietpepsi.livejournal.com/
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #53  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Thumbs up

Hi Stacy! Welcome to the group!

And hello to everyone else!

Sorry for my long absence... the weekend was more or less a bust - not that I went off-plan, because I didn't, but because it was the first free weekend I'd had in months and I simply just crashed. It felt soooo good.

Gina - since I have started reading TBDS, I, too, have discovered how my eating behaviors are reflective of other behaviors in my life... and I think it's great that you are, too. After all, this is a huge life change - for the better - and we can use it as a springboard for not just changing our eating but for betterment of the way we live our lives as a whole. That's awesome!

Ellen - I have always wanted to run! I've never done a marathon - likely never will! - but I am a runner wannabe trapped in a fat person's body. Any advice for how to start a running program?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #54  

Hi Stacy. I sent you an invite.

To all of us on LJ - after you type in your journal entry at the bottom of the form is a box that says: post to: Be sure to chose beck_chicks or it will show up in your personal journal.

Suz, there are a number of good ways to start a running program. What worked for me was intervals - jog for 1 min and walk for 4. After a week jog for 1.5 min and walk for 3.5. When that gets easy go 2:3, etc. When you can jog for 4 and walk for 2 start increasing your speed. Check out www.coolrunning.com for their Couch to 5K training. There are lots of on-line programs out there. The secret is to watch your posture and listen to your body.

Speaking of which, I need to go meet my walking buddy. I'll update my LJ either later today or tomorrow - busy day ahead.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #55  
Suz

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw View Post

To all of us on LJ - after you type in your journal entry at the bottom of the form is a box that says: post to: Be sure to chose beck_chicks or it will show up in your personal journal.
Most of the stuff I do want to keep in my personal journal, for my own reference and so I can look back on it all and track my progress. I'll start crossposting more often - especially when things get hard. (And I know they will eventually.)

I think I will begin running tomorrow at the gym, following Ellen's advice. I think it burns more calories than the elliptical...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #56  
Suz

Default Day 12 is KILLER.

Well... not really...

But it is hard. I can feel my hunger coming and going, and my belly is growling, but I have a banging headache/lightheadedness that I'm not sure is the result of lack of food OR if it's because of the idiocy I'm dealing with today.

I wonder if skipping a meal is such a hot idea. (This is NOT me giving up, this is me wondering out loud.)

I'm glad there's only one day of this challenge...
Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #57  

I think the headache is from both lack of food and workingwith idiots. I know how I react to not eating, and am seriously thinking of skipping this day. I don't fast because of how it effects my fatigue levels and makes all my MS symptoms seem that much worse. I think I just talked myself out of it. I KNOW how I get when hunger and know it is not forever. There is a difference between being seriously hunger and a little "peckish" and I can distinguish between the two. Yep, just talked myself out of Day 12. I'll just live it through you, Suz
Old 05-23-2007, 01:35 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Oops. I new at livejounal so I tried to join BEFORE I found the invite. Sorry!

Geez, from the sounds of it I'm not looking forward to day 12. Hopefully it lands on a rest day or I'll be skipping it too.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #59  

Stacy - you have been approved. Journal away and keep us posted!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #60  

Hi everyone - I'm on day 11. I'm also going to postpone Day 12 for a while. I think that skipping lunch will cause more damage later in the day for me. So tomorrow will be day 13 for me and I'm going to stay on Day 13 for a few extra days so that I can concentrate on the cravings issue. I have also decided not to start new days on the weekends and will instead focus and review the new tools that I have learned the previous week.

I have been checking out other on-line groups doing BDS and this is the most active group that I have found and I need the accountability so I'm going to join you ladies if I may. I have also read several of your on-line journals and I was impressed with your dedication and honesty.

I use My Food Diary and calorie counting for my choice of diet plan as I feel this is the best way to make lifestyle changes for me. I look forward to chatting wth you but don't look for me too much on the weekends as I have just moved into a "new" historic house that we recently purchased and there is a lot of yard work to be done. Luckily the inside is in really good shape and the inside projects will have to wait for the Fall of the year.
Closed Thread