Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #16  

Bean: I am not sure yet. I will say that The Beck Diet Solution is so different from any diet book I have ever used. I have read them all too and really did hesitate to get this book. If you decide to buy it make sure that your really do the exercises. I think this is one book we need to follow to the "t".

Suz: I read your journal. I think you are doing great. Do you have a timer on your ipod?? I probably have a timer also but I don't know how to use it. Do you just reset it after every bite?? I know it is tedious right now but eventually you will know what speed you should be eating. You are so right you do deserve to take that time for yourself!!

I am Beck "compliant" for the day! I have read my motivation a couple of times and I have stuck with my menu. I know the menu isn't really part of the Beck Solution for the day but it is something I need to work on. Especially because I am trying to make volumetrics work!

Gina
Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #17  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Bean!! I remember you from some of the W.O.W. threads! Good to see you!

And I know how you feel because, as you know, I had trouble with E.D.'s, too. Like you, my problems were far less about image and far more about the control/lack of control I had over food and the way I reacted to it. This book has been GREAT because it is finally teaching me how to view food in a healthy way, which I realized was something I was never really taught. I totally recommend it - especially since you are in recovery. The whole premise of the book is cognitive therapy, which attacks the root of overeating/undereating at its psychological source. It's very stepwise, very gradual (no shocking changes overnight to throw us into a downward spiral!), and I think it really is working!

I'd love it if you joined us.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #18  
Suz

Thumbs up

Gina - you and I posted at the same time. Awesome that you were "Beck compliant" today... it really does become habit, reading all those cards and stuff, but I, too, think that if we follow it closely and do our homework (and the emphasis is on the "work" part of that!), we're going to drop these pounds and keep them off for good - finally.

As for the timing of the eating, there's a stopwatch feature under "extras" on the main menu of my iPod nano. The routine went like this: I take a bite of food, chew it really well, swallow it, start the timer, wait 30 secs, stop the timer, take another bite of food, etc. etc. etc. I started feeling full 2/3 of the way into my Lean Cuisine... finished it, though... and I'm still not feeling any hunger. Usually by this time in the workday, I am so hungry that I'm ready to eat my stapler! I actually feel like I ate so much more than I did. I am frankly amazed at that. I didn't believe it would work, but it really does!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #19  
Suz

Thumbs up Day 6 - easy!

Well, today's assignment in the Beck book has already been done... finding a diet coach/support group. Looks like we've got one, plus I've got futher accountability in my blog, too.

How's everyone else doing?

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to blog I go...

Catch you later, ladies...
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #20  

hey rowdy i remember you too!!
this book seems to be what i need.just to teach me about food and i guess to let me in on why i have problems with it
gina - just a question, do u have to do volumetrics with the book or is it just any diet u feel comfortable with?
well im off to work, but im gonna stop at Borders to see if i can find the book.
thanx ladies and i hope ya'll have a great day!!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #21  

Bean: on day two you pick 2 diets. The first one is the one you plan to use and the second one is the one you use if you need a backup. She gives a few guidelines:
Quote:
choose a diet that includes food you like and can easily prepare
healthy
flexible
allows a budget for indulgences
learn from your past
Hey Suz day 6 is an easy one for you!!

I am not sure what to do about day 2. I know I am going to follow the volumetrics diet but I am not sure what I am going to do for a backup. Maybe weight watchers core?? They are a lot a like.

Gina
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #22  
Suz

Gina, I was in the same boat as you were - I had NO idea what to choose for my second diet. I'm a calorie-counter because I have had great success with that (my problem is AFTER I lose the weight, I fall off the wagon and gain it all back!), so choosing a second one seemed pointless to me. I chose South Beach, but that's before I even heard of Volumetrics... maybe I'll use that for my fall-back, instead.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #23  

Hello All. I'm about done reading the book and plan to start actually doing the steps on Saturday. I just had to read it through first because that's the way I am :-). CBT is really successful with all sorts of problems, so I am confident it will work on eating issues, too.

Bean - the book is based on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which is a wellk-established, proven technique. Basically the philosophy is that how we think affects how we behave and if we can change the way we think, we can change how we behave. Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 185/175/135

This looks like a good group. I too am starting the Beck Diet book and also have been doing volumetrics. I have found so far this is a good combination for me. I am 49 and turning 50 and having my only child get married in the same month later this summer. I hope to get here to post from time to time.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #25  

Yay! I am so glad I found others who are just starting out. I am on day 6 of the Beck Diet Solution. At first, I was using the "Investigate the Internet support" as a delaying tactic to finishing my reading for the day, but so far I have signed up for 3FC, found this thread and re-introduced myself to FitDay. I would say it's been a great use of my time. I have used CBT for other issues and it helped me, so I am confident this will help too but only if I work the book.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #26  
Suz

Thumbs up Response Card Revelation

Hi Mylifenow, Walkthelab (cute name!) and Luja! Welcome to the group! So far, this has been very free-form and unformatted - so just jump right in with whatever you have to say!

Mylifenow, I am actually fulfilling my Day 6 requirement by coming here, too - I've been a 3FC member since September (I think?), and I've gotten to know so many good folks here who have all become my coaches, as well as I have become THEIR coaches. I hope you find these forums as helpful as I have! There is definitely strength in numbers.

I'm on Day 7 today, and it's going to be a challenge; I'm supposed to change my environment to help me avoid unplanned eating. At home, this is not too hard because I have already taken steps to this end. I buy very little junk food, and the little I do buy I have DH put out of my reach, which really does help. My real challenge is going to be work... how do I get them on board with keeping the junk out of sight? I'd like to think that they'd be supportive, and I think most are, but I know of at least one person who would just LOVE to see me fail and so will probably resist on purpose.

Anyway, I've blogged about it with some strategies; hopefully I'll remember them when the time comes! I also did a response card - which, now that I look at it, has so many more applications than to just dieting. It goes like this:

Sabotaging thought: I shouldn't put my needs before others.'

RESPONSE: That's a lot of crap. I am entitled to take the best possible care of myself. My well-being cannot be compromised. In this case, meetng my need to live healthy will require changes in my surroundings that may effect others. If they cannot be supportive, perhaps part of the changes I need to make to my environment means seeking out more supportive people.

And really, I could replace that underlined part with just about any need I have been denying myself, couldn't I? I tend to be a bit spartan and deny myself a lot of things, some of which I really do need, and I need to stop doing that.

Do any of you feel guilty for putting yourself first? How do you deal with that?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 185/175/135

Good morning everyone. I too am using this board as a diet coach. Years ago I participated in a program with my health care company where someone called me once a week as a diet coach. It worked for awhile as many things did. It is just staying with something and continuing to work a program. I have found volumetrics to really be quite easy. I am glad I found it a few weeks ago and then was shocked that consumer reports rated it number one. Who would have thought weight watchers would be dethroned. Actually their core diet will be my second choice. I was wondering what plans others are picking.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #28  

I'd like to join you all, too. I have the book and have read it through once. I bought 3x5 cards and a nice book to keep track. I used to hang out on LWL, lost 60 pounds, regained 20 when I was diagnosed with MS in Feb 06, regained 20 and have lost 10 of those. So, I think I am on the right track and this book is the tools I need. CBT and "reframing" have done wonders in other areas of my life, so this all makes lots and lots of sense. I am planning on making Tues my official start date. No Mon, because how many have we started on Mon in the past? Clean slate and all.

I am currently eating an anti-inflammatory, whole, unprocessed diet that is closest to Andrew Weill's Healthy Aging (without a lot of the supplements). I'll probably pick Volumetrics or You! on a Diet as my second choice. Already I love the idea that there is no one, final, perfect choice and we all need to keep assessing and keep what works and change what doesn't. How smart is Dr. B?

I am currently working on a certification in Holistic Health and Nutrition and I have started a running and walking club with 3 other women, all of us former "couch potatoes". Check us out: http://www.train4dc.com. Does anyone have any problems if I post about this on our club forum?

I have an account on LiveJournal that I have not updatd in years - might check that out. Anyway, glad to be here. I'll keep you updated. Who knows, I might even start earlier!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #29  

LUJA: what did you think of the book?? I am like you and wanted to read it all first but a couple of things happened. 1. I didn't have time and 2. I wanted to get started (I read day 1 and thought to myself I have to do that now).

Walkthelab and mylifenow: welcome! Post often!

Walkthelab: I was using volumetrics but I remembered hearing that the core diet is based on volumetrics. I have decided to get WW online just to learn a little more about allowed foods (volumetric staples) and get a few more recipes. I have also used the boards to ask questions about what is allowed as core and what isn't. It has helped me a lot. So, I am still using volumetrics but using core's resources.

Suz: that sounds great! I love your response card!! I am going to go take a look at your journal for day 7. I always think it is so hard. I have a husband and kids and can't just throw everything away. I believe she justs wants it to be out of our way, right? I really struggle with this!

Putting myself first: I rarely put myself first. I have been taught well. My dear Mom never says no and puts EVERYONE else before her. It breaks my heart. Because of that I am a little more assertive at times but it is just so natural to make sure everyone else is happy. Suz, I don't really know how to change it. My fear is that my husband and sons, who have had me do everything domestically for them and put their needs first, would go into shock and revolution if I suddenly said you do it I am going to go for a walk. But I think I need to make some changes. I did get a house cleaner and that has helped me a lot with my stress. But I still have to do ALL of the picking up and laundry and put it away. They literally throw their clothes on the floor, leave everything out like food or pans and plates and I clean up. It is stupid and I have created it but how do I change it now??

Gina

http://schaug.livejournal.com/2007/05/16/
Old 05-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #30  

Ellen! Hi and welcome! That website is great. I bet you have a lot of fun on Saturdays getting to know each other and feeling so darn good about what you are doing!!

How are you doing with your MS?? My cousin has MS. She was diagnosed at age 17. We just did a MS walk in Des Moines. It felt good. My cousin is so independent and that is about all she will allow us to do "for" her. She is having a pretty tough time right now. She is on something that is suppose to keep her from getting worse. My Aunt said it is working so I feel really good about that.

I think livejournal has been really good for me. I am not sure if anyone ever reads it but it is nice to have my thoughts together in one place. I lost my cards---I have been carrying them in my Beck book and they must have slipped out. I wonder who read them and what they thought. Anyway, I have been going back to day one and reading my motivation list online.

Gina
Closed Thread