Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/185

Height: 176 cm

Default Hello From Kuwait

Hi everybody

i wanna share with you Bla bla bla.......

no really. i had a weight gain issue from middle school. i weighted 235 lbs at the age of 18.

i have done it all, self dieting, nutrisystem during college, diet meals home delivery, all except VOMI...

currently i swing between 220 lbs (summer) and 190 (start of winter).

i am 36 yrs old and like to make friends.

regards
Moe
UoA rocks
MOMASHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

We're all here trying to be healthier and drop a little weight. We know what that's like.

You can do it!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #3  

Thanks Lovely and Good Luck with achieving your target weight.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Moe, so happy to have you join us! I'm interested in learning more about you. I lived in Kuwait for a few years (near Al Zoor), and my children went to American School of Kuwait. I really miss my friends! Are you there as a resident/citizen of Kuwait or are you in the military?

Hope you can find the good, helpful support you need here. See you 'round the forums!

Last edited by geoblewis; 08-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #5  

Hello geoblewis

yes i am a Kuwaiti citizen. i studied Electrical Engr. at Tucson, AZ (94-99) and i miss it very much. the military is so nice they have my beloved sport Racquetball, but they are very closed. sometimes they make tournaments and i can see it on the net. they are the only people who have RB courts.

i picked up playing squash as it is very available but is difficult for my physique.

it is good to have you as a friend.

regards
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Good for you to have found squash, Moe! It's hard to exercise in Kuwait, especially this time of year. Especially during Ramadan! I used to swim in a chilled pool, but only early in the morning and later in the evenings. I walked a treadmill inside a fitness room where I lived and watched TV. Too yucky to do anything outside. I don't know how my friends played tennis outside.

Finding activities that suit you is good. I've had a difficult time with that, but finally found that I love Pilates. I go to a class for that and have developed good comraderie with my classmates, so I have the social support for that too. The weather in California is much better for taking walks outside in town and in the countryside than it was when I lived in Kuwait. When I lived there, I walked the Al Kout and Sharq malls as much as I could. I now have a rowing machine that I parked in my backyard and I use that every morning and I walk to shopping and appointments as much as possible. (I live in a small town now.)

Being Kuwaiti is all about family, which is a two-edged sword when it comes to trying to lose weight! I know, because my family is Greek, and life is all about the food and the celebrations. If I'm not eating, my mother and aunties are offended. If I indulge in the food, my cousins are gossiping about what I ate, how much I ate, how I look and what I'm wearing. I can't win!!!!

I've found that intermittent fasting has helped me. It means spending much of the day not eating (instead of eating at every meal) and concentrating all my eating into a portion of the day, within (for me) an 8-hour window. I found that I don't really like eating breakfast, but I am very hungry in the late afternoon and evening, so that's when I eat. I can then control how much I eat, what I'm eating, and still eat with family/friends when it counts. I have been able to cut calories that way and have lost more weight.

I have health issues that forced me to eliminate certain foods. That has actually helped me a lot. So now I eat fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meats, eggs and healthy fats. No more restaurants or fast food. (Oh how I miss the Hardee's near the spring camps and the Gulf Royal in Fahaheel!) No prepackaged or processed food. No bread or sugar. Basically for me, shawarma = good, kofta = good, fattoush = good, moutabel = good...pita = not good, falafel = not good, biriyani = not good, basbousa = not good, tabbouleh = not good. Hummus and foul = okay once a month. Baklava = once a year! Um Ali = can't even have it on the same continent with me!

Making changes takes time. Sometimes the changes we make just get us to maintaining our weight. That's a victory. It means we're on the right track. I'm older than you (50) and I no longer have the pleasure of going on a diet and losing 5 kilo the first week. It's a very slow process for me now. But making changes to how I live every day that support the health I want was important. And then the family celebrations can be managed events and not the end of everything I've been working for.

The right support is very important. I had to surround myself with people who were there to help me, who also lived a healthy lifestyle. It meant not being around some of my old friends any more, the ones who were all about making poor choices and having someone support those poor choices too. In the end, it's my body and my life. I can't live for anyone else but me!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #7  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Welcome to 3FC!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #8  

Default Thanks 4 welcoming

Thanks is extended to all for the support they share.

Geoblewis:

Kuwait is my country and its weather is something i have to deal with for the rest of my life. In fact when i went to scool in the US i was to study in MINEAPOLIS. can you imagine?. So i did what taco bell commercial used to say FROM BORDER TO BORDER and flew to TUCSON WHERE I Had a relative who told me how diverse and HOT IT IS.lol

Being outdoor could have some inconveniences but definitely has benefits as well. The main problem in kuwait nowadays is dust storms which we had even during winter.

I am glad u have nice thoughts about kuwait.
Regards
P.s. 50 is still young
P