Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default The First Step: Saying Hi!

Hi!

I'm really nervous--silly, isn't it? But posting here means something to me--it means I am finally going to do something about my weight. Perhaps not right away, not tomorrow--but I'm taking this baby step tonight and saying: enough.

I am currently 229 lbs, if 1) the scale is accurate and 2) I've read the numbers right. I've actually asked for a new scale with BIG numbers on it for Christmas. As I told the husband--if I lose a pound, I want to know!

This month I gained about 30 lbs--I quit smoking!! (Yay me.) But, I've replaced those cigs with chocolates, crackers, pretzels and whatever else I can scrounge. I have never done this before--prowl the house for food--eat past feeling full--crave, crave, crave chocolate. I've been indulging myself because I've been easing the pain of nicotine withdrawal--but this is NOT a healthy path and I need to get off it soon!

When I smoked, I maintained my weight at about 200 lbs for the last seven years or so--but I've been overweight for about 12. So, I have been "needing" to do something for a long time.

I am a planner and a thinker. Currently I'm reading Ultrametabolism by Mark Hyman and learning a lot! I've just finished reading Martha Beck, "The Four Day Win" and in the past I've read lots of Dr. Weil and Bob's plan (the guy from Oprah--Fit for Life I think it's called?)

I've been down this road only once before: I followed the 80's Weight Watcher portion plan on my own when I was in my twenties. I lost 70 lbs at that time--and kept it off for ten years. Back then I had even become an Aerobics Instructor--that seems like another life.

So, I know it can be done, and I know the work it takes. I am so glad I've found this forum: I'm going to need your help, for sure.

Oh--and one other, very important thing. It breaks my heart, but my son (11) is also overweight. I'm hoping that by changing my eating habits, his will change too.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 12-14-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi . . . and from another Canadian -- glad to have you joining us. Have a good look around, Chickie. It's a very big site . . . we have groups based on age, groups based on the amount you want to lose, groups based on the plan you think you might like to follow . . . hey, you name it and we've got it. There's even a Crazy Canadian Cluck Club. Hope to see you around . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #3  
Starting over

Thanks!

A Canadian Cluck club?
Cluck?
That's hilarious.

Hadn't found that one yet--will try and find it.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

hi there. Welcome!! This forum is really awesome for support, diet ideas, meal suggestions. There is also a binge free challenge every week.
Good work at quitting smoking! That is a very hard thing to do! Now onto the next hard challenge!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #5  
Starting over

Maybe this isn't the place to post this--but...

I want to put together my own eating plan. I'm better at portion estimating and so on than I am at calorie counting! Is there a place on the boards here for that--an not necessarily associated with "anyone's" program?

As I mentioned, I did WW in the eighties--with the chart on the fridge (it was portion control.) and so many "optional" calories a week once I'd reached a certain goal weight. (I forget what it was, now).

I need to put together my own plan--based on the information we have about diet now--any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I don't actually tally up my calories, except once in a while, if I'm feeling like the "eyeball" plan isn't working right, I will put up a few days on daily plate and also at that time check my protein/carb/fat balance. I still hang out with the calorie counters, since IMO, portion control is calorie counting, even if you don't write down everything every day. Plus, they are nice people, so come join us if you like! I mostly hang on the current holiday challenge thread on the Calorie Counters forum, listed on the main page under Diet Central (New Year's challenge right now).

There is also a General Diet Plans and Questions forum under Diet Central, or the Support Forum, Exercise forums, age group forums, you name it. Just cruise the boards, check out the chat and challenge threads or whatever strikes your fancy. Start posting in different places, and you'll eventually find a group or two that just feels right to you. Pretty much everybody I've met on this site is friendly and really accepting, and welcome all comers, so do jump in anywhere and start making connections.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote