Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/tracker/145

Height: 5'6

Default 90 lbs ahead of me

It seems like now is the time to make a commitment to my weight loss. It seems so impossible to think that I have 90 lbs of fat to lose to be a healthy weight (something I have never been). That's like 90 bricks of butter! Picture it!

Anyone else out there feeling like me?
Viking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey VikingGirl!

If you're overwhelmed by the big number, why not set yourself mini goals? Is 10 lbs less overwhelming?

Let 10 lbs (or even 5!) be your first mini-goal. Work toward that. You can worry about the rest, in small chunks like that, when you get there.

This slight mental shift can make a BIG difference in the "overwhelming" factor. As someone who was staring down 130 lbs, I definitely understand the way you're feeling!

Look around here, settle in, keep posting, and stick around. You'll be hitting that mini-goal (and others) in no time.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #3  
BELIEVE!

Hi Viking Girl!

Welcome! You have found a fabulous place for support and encouragement. I ditto what mandalinn said. Take it in more manageable goals. I understand 100% the overwhelmed feeling....and I am staring at big numbers here too. Right now I just focus on smaller goals. I'm down 41 pounds right now and I'm just focused on getting to 50. Then I'll set my next goal.

You can do it!
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/210/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, hi! I'm new too!

I think the thing that's helped me the last couple months is that it was changing my mind about what to eat, how much, and getting motivated to work out every day (or every other day if I was too busy on one day). Once I started that thinking this way, the pounds came off with the actions.

Here's to both of us!

*cheers*
-K
blackdove95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

Good for you for making that commitment! Truly, like everyone is saying, if you break the big goal down into mini-goals it seems so much more achievable. Like I choose to believe not that I'm losing 100 pounds, but that I'm losing 10 pounds 10 times. Waaay easier.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

About 18 months ago I started with the same overwhelming feeling of facing losing 120lbs. I now have only 22lbs to go. When I started my journey I certainly thought I'll just see how far I can go. I used to think about 'if' I reach goal. Somewhere along the journey that changed to 'when'. I know I can do it and so can you if you really set your mind to it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #7  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

I echo all the responses about setting smaller goals for yourself.

I'll add that sometimes setting daily goals helps get you in the right mindset for long term goals. For example a daily goal I have today is to: not eat chocolate (yikes) and to walk 2 miles. Very achievable for sure.

Wish you luck as I have found this site a great source of inspiration.
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #8  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm with you sister. I have 90 to lose as well. Many times in the past I focused on that and let it stop me because I felt it was just to much to take on. I have a hard time losing ten pounds and here now i need to lose 90. but this time was different. i know where i want to be but i dont focus so much on the numbers as the fact that i am doing everything i can to be healthy. i work out almost every day. Ive cut down on portion sizes and choose healthier snacks. the pounds are coming off but i'm still not focusing on the big number. wayyy too discouraging. right now my goal is to get below 200 and thats where my focus is. so stick in there and take the advice above of some very educated and inspiring people, stick with the mini goals. BTW, we have threads going for Christmas goal and onederland by new years, maybe you could join us for one of those. Hope to see you around.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/tracker/145

Height: 5'6

Thank you all for your inspiring words and advice. Your right about making smaller goals...not so overwhelming! It is so great to read other peoples stories and struggles; I feel like I can do this.

I'm planning a trip to Scandinavia this coming May/June and I really want to be healthier for the plane ride and all the visiting and site seeing. It will just take a change in attitude and a willingness to stick to it. I'm worth it.
Viking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

Wink

I feel for you too. when i began 6months ago, i had 160lbs to loose! ugh...that sounded so unattainable. I just take one day at at a time and focus on my weekly weight loss. I still have 100lbs to go which is a little easier to imagine than 160, but still very hard to believe. like everyone else said, just set mini goals and try to not think about how much you have to loose. my next goal is onederland! hopefully by Feb, or march. try to give yourself a little breathing room with your main goal so that it doesn't put so much pressure on you. good luck
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 241/237.8/165

Height: 5'7"

I do agree with everyone else.. I have 100lbs to lose.. that seems like a huge number.. almost a whole person.. but I'm setting mini goals.. my first is to lose 20lbs then the next get to 199lbs just to get outta the 200lbs.. and then my goal is 185lbs.. after that I'm going to re-evaluate my goals and decided how much my mini goals should be.. but you can do this!! I'm new to the forum too.. but have used forums when trying to lose weight and it always seems to make this some much easier bc you can talk to people who actually understand what your saying and what ur going through!! anyways start strong!!
I will not fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 100/98.7/50

Height: 165cm

i'm so there with you! i have a little more to lose (about 110lbs) and it seems so hard to get there. small goals are the way, i suppose.
applekit is offline   Reply With Quote