Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 207/165/165

Height: 5.5

HI everyone. Looking for some thoughts. I have been on P2 and am moving to P3 tomorrow. Looking forward to a smoothie and toast with WF marmalade for breakfast. I am also starting to plan for P4 I have read the plan but am starting to think I may do it another way. Just can't see myself separating stuff depending on what meal I am eating. I now realize that carbs good or bad are not the best for me. So I was thinking of using MFP with the macros and trying to keep my calories at 1200, plus any exercise I do, (I bike and / or play tennis and walk most days) and my macros at 25% carbs, 35% fat and 40% protein. I was doing this before I started back on P1 and depending on my calories I was actually losing weight. I just think I need to be hype vigilant and watch what I am eating daily with the occasional treat in order to be successful. I have been using 25% carbs 25% fats and 50% during P2 and have continued to lose weight. If I go over it is usually on the fat portion. Has anyone else done anything like this in maintenance. Thanks.
Largo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTXChk View Post
Hi Maintainers! Been awhile since I’ve checked in.

After P1’ing much of Jan and Feb, I am back on maintenance as of this week. Sadly, today I am above my scream weight by 3lbs but P1 was just making me crazy….I was starting to binge on junk after being hardcore for several days. I finally had a breakdown in my IP coach’s office and we agreed I needed to take a P1 break.

Is it 2 months of P1 or something else that was making me self sabatoge? Recently someone posted here how in maintenance we are all losing the same 10lbs over and over again. It is so true and totally started messing with my mind, I swear. I think maintenance will be good for me. I should probably just stay off the scale since I still check in with my coach every week try to go by the fit of my clothes and how I feel.

But because I over analyze everything that has to do with my weight, I went ahead and went back to my therapist. I have a low image of myself that I need to address. My trainer is always on me about my posture and made an offhand comment recently that I stand like I don’t want people to notice me. I felt like I had been punched in the gut…he is so right on. Even after losing 115lbs, my instinct is to still be the wallflower. I think I thought that by losing the weight, it would help with my self image…but clearly, it goes deeper than that.
I think you are very brave and strong to share. This is a challenging journey and figuring ourselves out is key to lasting success. Your last sentence resonated with me, "I think I thought that by losing weight...." I struggle with this too. I think I thought that by losing weight, I would would be able to wear sleeveless dresses without worrying about my arms, nope. I think I thought that by losing weight, I would be able to stay off my BP Meds, nope. I think I thought that by losing weight, I would feel confident with my body naked, nope. Even with some of the disappointments in the reality of losing the weight, the thing I realized after chasing my goal weight for half of my life, getting there wasn't the magic pill. I know that I am healthier at goal. I like being perceived as thinner, the world is kinder and I enjoy shopping for clothes at a smaller size. I also found after my slide that I am not very kind to myself when I am gaining. All reasons to continue on the maintenance journey even if the results were not fairy tale perfect. Life is still life and size 16 or 8, I am still me, a constant work of joy and imperfection.

Last edited by Slipfree; 03-05-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #408  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Slip - your comment about not being kind to yourself when gaining resonated with me. While I was gaining weight back, I would be mad with myself after stepping on the scale. I would berate myself and think thoughts of "come on, what is wrong with you, it's not that hard to restrict your eating. Pull yourself together". Well, you know what. It is hard. It's hard every single day and it's going to remain hard for the rest of my life. And that's something that I have to accept. That getting to the goal weight doesn't mean that I stop working at it. It just means that the work changes from being focused on just one big project to being a normal work day with multiple challenges being thrown my way and having to move quickly from making a choice here to making another choice over there. Not sure this makes sense at all.

In the meantime, I should be proud that I caught the slide before I went all the way back to the beginning again. I'm working hard back on P1 and thinking about how maintenance looks like again after this.

Holidays are my problem, I've realized. I let it all hang out on holiday. Anything goes and everything is a free for all. And then I get home, weigh myself, throw myself on the floor and weep inconsolably at the injustice of such a large weight gain. Not quite true, I'm probably over dramatizing it! And then instead of doing a week of P1 or considering some reining in for a short time, I shrugged my shoulders and accepted the inevitable. No wonder things were sliding the wrong way.

Lots of things to consider as I work on fitting back into my goal clothing. Good luck with an OP week everyone!
RosiePosie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #409  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipfree View Post
...I am still me, a constant work of joy and imperfection.
I love this. Thank you for sharing. We are all doing the best we can do and that's just has to be enough.

I do worry if I am pushing the plastic surgery thing too fast if I feel that I don't "have" this maintenance thing down. But after hearing from several of you, it sounds like a constant work in progress. I can say how much happier I am back in maintainence this time around after being back in P1. And I feel more of a calm than worry, worry, worrying about every little thing that goes in my mouth. Previously, I was trying to tweak old meals into maintenance rather than expand on P1-3. Fish and veggies with some brown rice. Enjoying restricted or off limit veggies. My attitude is different. This is a marathon, not a sprint people.
CenTXChk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #410  

CenTXChk, if you can afford the surgery, I say do it. Feeling more confident with your appearance should provide even more incentive to maintain. Great metaphor, a marathon not a sprint.

Rosie, time for us to embrace our vicious cycles and vanquish them. You are right, let's celebrate the good decisions that we are making now.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #411  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello Beautiful Maintainers!!!!

What honest words everyone has written since my last visit here. Good to see you here RosiePosie!!!! I am SOOOOO with everyone on how to find peace with myself post weight-loss. I still am finding the scale BARELY budging despite my lowered calories rebooting in January. I have not wanted to go back to P1 because I feel it really messed up my hormones. I had thyroid problems before losing weight, and am now wondering if I don't need to get my levels checked again since I am seeming to be so stuck. All that "stuckness" does a real mind trip on me, and I hear my inner brat whispering things like, "Why watch what you eat when you aren't even losing weight?". Ooooooo...devilish girl.

Good news is I got an A-OK on my very first mammogram. So hooray for that!

Slip, your writing about "I think I thought that by losing weight..." is SO honest and raw and real for probably EVERYONE here. Thanks for sharing those thoughts. Even as a thin person before I gained weight, I struggled with self-conscious issues because of my pear-shape and spider veins (oh those darn things came early for this girl)....so I did have some realistic ideas about how I would feel about myself thin or heavy. Maybe for me: I think I thought that by losing weight I would be nicer to myself. I have found recently that this is not true, I really have to fight the negative self-talk. I wish I had saved just ONE pair of my fat jeans so I could try them on and see how far I still am from where I was. I can't believe how much headspace this +7-10 lbs have taken up.

My biggest struggle is the worry that I have lost my ability to lose weight in a healthy way, that my metabolism is somehow irreparably damaged. Bah. Need to get myself to my doc for my metabolic screening.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #412  

Thanks Evemomma! Make that appointment with your Dr. Time to take care of you.

How about we love ourselves, right here and now? There is a great article by Martha Beck in this months Oprah about the payoff involved in repeated behavior. I am sure that our inner critics were developed from outside but we can shut it down now from the inside. I will work on positive talk, if you will? As for the inner brat, how about the mantra-we eat healthy now and doing the best we can. We have come far on this long journey, no turning back now.

Last edited by Slipfree; 03-07-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #413  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hello girls! Great thread lately. What I need! I must take care of self and plan better.
Yesterday I got carried away as we are trying to get back to the regular routine but the car needed repairs in the morning (brakes and an expensive new caliper), way too early in the day for my usual schedule so eating was off a bit - doing a quick grab in the fridge for lunch. And oh yeah... another bloody cat ran out in front of us Sunday night coming home. The new front bumper that we replaced a month ago (thanks to another cat... RIP...) is now cracked and ANOTHER replacement would cost us $300 deductible AGAIN on our car insurance. Obviously not going to replace it for quite a while. I think this car is a jinx!
The gas man was scheduled to come between noon & 4 to change out our meter and then of course restart all our pilot lights for furnace and hot water tank. Meanwhile my fave SIL and both kids who I rarely get to see were coming over to Mom & Dad's. So I wanted to visit and managed to get over there later in the afternoon while she worked on Dad & Mom's feet (she is doing her practicum for Reflexology) and then she did mine. But of course time marches on.... and I get home just in time to grab DH and quickly drive off to the hockey game. We got there just after the first drop of the puck. No time for supper but I did grab a Quest from my cupboard. HOWEVER... I was hungry still and the only thing I could eat that was gluten free at the game was fries. So I had two huge cups of Earl Grey tea and DH & I shared the hot fries. Arrrgh, then when we got home it was pepperoni & cheese.

I slept in today til 11:30 because I start work again tonight and decided to do a fat fast. Lunch was a tablespoon of butter mixed with high fat Dutch Cocoa powder, cinnamon, and a dash of stevia. I made 5 tablespoons worth, and thought I might eat it all, lol, but actually 1 tbsp. really did satisfy with my cup of coffee. We will see how this goes in 3 or 4 days. Lots of the gals on the low carb high fat group in MFP seem to use this idea as a jump start and I know I feel better and more satisfied with high fat. I don't think I could do what some are as far as keeping carbs to under 20g more permanently but hope to get back on track again. They are quite an inspiration. I belong to the "Low Carber Daily - Ladies over 50" and the "Low Carber Daily Forum - the LCD Group." Both are invite-only since we seem to get the hassle from those that think "CICO" works for everyone, and 'lots of fresh fruit & veggies will solve everything especially if you stay low fat.' There is more info here on fat fasting and ketogenic diets - this gal knows her stuff and links to a low carb dietician for extra info & help: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/201...de-to-Fat-Fast

CAVEAT: not to throw anyone off their preferred plan for reboot or maintenance, just another POV

We'll see how the rest of the week progresses.... powerhugs to all!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #414  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hello lovely ladies,

I had to read all your lists 2x! So heartfelt and real. This maintenance is hard and doesn't seem to be getting easier. What has become easier for me is no longer being in denial so when I am eating off plan I need to face the scale, my coach to get measured, and not pretend. I am still seeing my therapist and having my feelings seems to help me not eat my feelings

Eve - we stayed at PopCentury at Disney. You guys are going in the summer right? We liked it. The food was a challenge as we had to use the meal plan. I bright some bars and shakes with me which helped but still gained. Your family will have a great time.

Centxchk - I am trying to save and have the lose skin removed on my lower stomach. I had heard from some folks that it is recommended to have maintained for a year before doing it. My neighbour had it and it seems worth it.

Hysteria - when is your 1/2 marathon? How is the training going?

I posted last night that the scale hasn't really moved down even tho I'm trying and this morning it dropped 2.5lb. Just need to keep planning and stay on track. I struggle eating on plan when I'm not exercising. The exercise is so motivating for me. 8 lbs to go in this reboot
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #415  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Happy thought - I had a PR (personal record) this morning during my run - 9:05 mile
Ugh of the day - this message board now continuously logging me out

Eve - so much more research needs to be done on the thyroid and it's functions, but as those of us with issues know, it is SO important! on the good mam-gram results!!!

CenTX - wishing you the best for your surgery! Won't lie - a bit jealous here...maybe when we win the lottery

Slip - thank you for the happy / positive thought reminder.
I am a big fan of ASMR videos...for one, I experience 'tingles' but they (certain voices / sounds, etc...) also relax me...and I found Lauren O Fenton: https://www.youtube.com/user/laurenl...enton/featured
she has an amazing series of YouTube videos about alleviating anxiety, self acceptance, finding happiness, focusing on YOU - they were VERY helpful on my IP P1 weight loss journey

Liana - I've been thinking about low carb again and have already cut back on the big, carb-ladened P3 breakfasts - even with my running, it just isn't how my system functions best and I am still working on a happy-medium

Jenny - the D.C. Rock N Roll Half is this Saturday I am as ready as I can be and so excited! I can't wait to say "I did it" around 10:00am Saturday morning! Weather is looking pretty decent - now DH & I are just trying to figure out our pre-race meal (Friday) / & breakfast since we have to be up and out the door by 4:45am

I am staying away from the scale for the next week as we 'carb-up' for Saturday...last night we had a fund raiser for DD11's school at a pizza buffet and I definitely replenished my glycogen
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #416  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Happy Hump Day Maintainers!

Reboot is chugging along. For every two steps forward (a loss) I seem to take a step back (a gain). Last week was my birthday and I didn't overindulge but I wasn't completely P1, or 2 or even 3. So up lbs again. I have lost/gained the same 5 lbs for the last two months. It's frustrating. Things got out of control around Xmas and I can't seem to land in the right place for my food. My pants are tight and I'm unhappy with the fluffiness of my belly. I tried the Alternative P1 for about a week and got down to 144 last week but birthday events had me back up to 151 in a 5 day span. And I'm not even drinking!! Today back at 148. But still 8 lbs over my happy place. Because I've been on P1 or some form of it I haven't been working out/walking/lifting. That isn't working for me either. Thighs are getting really flabby too. Ugh.

I thought I had this Maint. thing figured out because I did so well for most of last year and now it just seems to be falling apart. I have to get this under control but I'm not being very successful. I know I'm being very hard on myself for 10 lbs but this is how it starts. Oh 10 lbs is ok and then the next thing you know there is an extra 30. I can't go back to that. I guess I just need to move to a more P2/P3 type thing to up my calories so I can work out again.

OK. Rant over.

Also: I bought myself that bike that I kept talking about for my birthday. So I want to get out and ride it now. I'm also signed up for the Rock N Roll marathon on the 19th, but just walking, not running.

Last edited by catlady1981; 03-09-2016 at 02:20 PM.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #417  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi all! Just thinking about breakfasts in maintenance... I almost never did a P3 breakfast as described these days with grams of whatever figured out. My coach gave me a pretty simple plan: Once we know what proper serving sizes are... 1 of each: 1 protein, 1 carb, 1 fat, 1 fruit. And that's it. And some of those things can be combined ie: 11% Greek Yogourt is both fat & protein. Cheese is both fat & protein. So breakfast doesn't have to be big, and the carb choices do not have to be high carb.... neither does the fruit.

Personally I just can't stomach much food bulk when I get up.

Just a thought, Jenny38 (since you lost so much weight), could you approach your doc about a verified health reason as opposed to aesthetics to have the 'tummy skin flap' removed? Then it would be covered by insurance (although Ontario insurance is different from BC, I know)? Sorry to be gross, but moisture, fungal issues in humidity, etc???

Hang on Andrea, you will get there! The up & down thing is aggravating, I know. I'm kinda at that stage too.

In other news... yesterday's Day 1 'Fat Fast' finds me down 3 lbs this morning. Breakfast today was 2 eggs & 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream scrambled in the microwave with spices. Awesome fluffiness! And definitely full feeling. Snack later will likely be my cocoa fat bomb (Tbsp butter, 1/2 tsp Dutch Cocoa - high fat, and a dash of stevia). Dinner will be a big plate of arugula with EVOO & vinegar or Bacon Ranch (depending on what protein I am going to add - not sure yet), and seaweed for a midnight snack at work.
And of course all my supplements as this is only meant to be a very temporary jump start and doesn't supply the full amounts of certain vitamins. Rules are no more than 5 days, and no more than 1x/month.
My avocados are not quite ripe enough yet or I would be using more of them in place of dairy. Hopefully in a couple days they will be ready.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #418  

Hi friends,

We are strong, and we are still fighting!

Beth, thank you for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out. Wishing you the best of luck on your race, enjoy the build up excitement! Can not wait to hear about your results.

Jenny, Yay on the 2.5 pounds!

Andrea, you are right being accountable helps. Try not to beat yourself up, most of the Oct. Newbies hit some kind of bump after year 2. Maybe it has to do with diet/plan fatigue? I think you are in a better place, because you are honestly confronting it. You will figure it out Enjoy your bike ride.

Liana, your Fat Fast plan sounds interesting.

Reboot is going well, have decided to continue until Easter.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #419  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hi ladies

Beth - is the D.C. 1/2 your first 1/2? I'll be thinking of you at 10 am. I was always coached to have the same pre race meal that you have trained with. May be tricked if it's an earlier start, maybe bring a banana to eat or do you use this sugar gels? I'll take a few chews before. That being said don't change your routine right before. May the wind be at your back....both ways

Liana - I checked about OHIP for it, you have to have so much loose skin hanging over your pubis area which I don't have. I would totally use any moisture fungal issue but don't have. My c section scar actually healed even more with the weight lifted off of it. I think all the working out I did helped.

- great work on 3lbs down! What is your "fat fast"? Confused cuz there seems to be fat in all,the food you listed but maybe the "fast" east no fat yesterday?

Slip - great work on sticking to it!! What will your plan be over Easter? I'm dreading this event already. So much things around food. I will get kids crappy chocolate that I don't like.

Andrea - glad you checked in good for you for catching the up lbs at 10. I have been having a similar struggle since Christmas. I see why in Refuse to Regain it stresses not only how hard it is but how your odds go up with each passing year. You can totally do this! Enjoy the Rock and Roll Marathon! Can't wait to hear about it.

Ladies, we need to get to 5 years in maintenance and then I think it will be easier!

Had what seemed like a 4th opinion on foot today from chiropractor and rather good news is that he thinks the issue started from a rvery tight muscle at the top of thigh that impacted my running gate. So we can fix the issue and hopefully I won't have this injury again. Had the ultra sound and will get results soon. Then I went to get my hair cut and highlighted. She let me put my leg up so it was relaxing. Felt good to do that.
Said no at least 10 times today to things off plan I wanted to eat.

Last edited by Jenny38; 03-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #420  

Jenny, I am going to have a modified day on Easter. The event is not at my immediate family's house, so bringing my own food is not an option. Going to try to stick to meat and veggies, no wine or carb type things. I want to drop 12 more pounds, so I do not see my reboot winding down until the end of April. You play, you pay! My BFF SIL birthday will be harder this Sat., but I am bringing my own food and will pick up a coffee on the way there.

I am happy that your Chiro. is going to address the issue, so you can prevent re-injury. As for Easter candy, kid candy is just not worth the splurge. If you going to spurge, eat the good stuff! Proud of you for saying NO ten times!