Old 04-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #31  

Ro:

I've had some similar medical issues.

I have to believe that some of it is due to the length of time I spent on P1. When I read Dr Tran Tein's book, I see he apparently designed it for a quick weight loss of a shorter duration.

I'm still working on getting my thyroid and adrenals back in good order. This takes time!

The weight gain is frustrating but the majority of it is still off and for that I'm very thankful.

I just completed a bunch of testing and am awaiting results.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #32  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

Let us know how the tests come out. Hopefully, you got all the tests needed at one time to see the whole picture unlike in my situation. Waiting for the results is a killer especially because I instinctively knew there were going to be abnormal results. I think you are expecting that too, right?

In reading his book, it was clear he had a close relationship with his patients and an empathetic approach at that. That is not translating in the mass execution of this.

Last edited by Ro22; 04-22-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #33  

Lisa and Ro22, thank you for continuing to share. I had my own version of things. It’s like a matrix to sort out.

I am not sure how someone that needed to go through the weight loss that I went through could do it without medical oversight. It is just a lot of change for the body to go through and do it successfully without depletion on many levels. I know my circumstances were more complicated, but there is also a reason when someone is holding weight many times besides calories in calories out, and someone without medical training wouldn’t even know what to watch for. I think the clinics should at minimum be supportive of the clients having medical oversight and encouraging them to do so. I’m sure there are legalities involved though that I’m not aware of.

Ro22, I will check with my clinic about your prior question to me about your clinic, and let you know what they say. Give me a day or two, sometimes they are busy and need time before I hear back.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-22-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #34  

I would LOVE to find a local clinic with medical oversight.

Just because a clinic is located in a medical practice, doesn't mean there is any interaction w/the doc. This is the case in the clinics I've talked to in my area. My clinic was affiliated with a chiro. When I developed thyroid issues, I started looking for other clinics. There is one in an MD's office but they don't medically monitor

So, instead, I have to get my own medical monitoring done. My internist did some basic blood work. Now I'm reaching out to more functional medicine doctors for more in-depth support. I couldn't get into one of them until AUGUST (made the appt in January!). I guess there is a demand for docs who treat the whole person, looking for causes & ways to correct, rather than just treating symptoms with pharmaceuticals. Most of the docs that I've found who practice in this manner are private-paid, rather than insurance paid because they go outside the establishment.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Just because a clinic is located in a medical practice, doesn't mean there is any interaction w/the doc. This is the case in the clinics I've talked to in my area. My clinic was affiliated with a chiro. When I developed thyroid issues, I started looking for other clinics. There is one in an MD's office but they don't medically monitor

So, instead, I have to get my own medical monitoring done. My internist did some basic blood work. Now I'm reaching out to more functional medicine doctors for more in-depth support. I couldn't get into one of them until AUGUST (made the appt in January!). I guess there is a demand for docs who treat the whole person, looking for causes & ways to correct, rather than just treating symptoms with pharmaceuticals. Most of the docs that I've found who practice in this manner are private-paid, rather than insurance paid because they go outside the establishment.
Yes, it seems the trend.
My current doctor and my last doctor both did not take any insurance - they would file for you if you wanted, but you paid up front, and anything I got back from the insurance I considered "lucky". Both of them are very good, and did not want to be dictated to by all the insurance requirements. I changed my health insurance to a very basic HSA with a low premium, as I really don't get much benefit from my insurance, and I put money into the HSA to cover the medical bills.

I do have an "in network" doctor that is through the insurance that is willing to work with my primary doctor, so when I need blood tests I ask the "in network" doctor to order them so they are cheaper and my main doctor tells me what to ask for. It's all a silly dance I have to say, but what to do.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Amber,
Would you be willing to inquire about the medical supervision aspect of this? Specifically, what does HQ expect of the clinics? Obviously, this is top of mind for me given what happened. I reported these problems to my clinic and was told to keep taking supplements, drinking water, etc. My concerns were not taken seriously even though prior to that they had viewed me as a star pupil, if you will.

This has kept me away from the clinic as I view them as uninformed and dangerous - they put the thought into my head that I was doing something wrong, lacking commitment or willpower, etc further perpetuating the problem when at a minimum, they should have advised me to follow up with my doctor if they didn't have the means for the medical supervision they preach.

Also, they wouldn't work with me on an exercise program.

If any of this is counter to what HQ expects, I would be happy to use my story to report to HQ. I would be thrilled to hear this is in opposition to HQ - it would restore my faith in numerous aspects of this.
Ro22, I asked my clinic/coach and told her about your situation, and this is what she responded:

"It is definitely not what HQ would expect of their clinics. I need to know which clinic it is and who the coach is to tell you which number to have her call."
If you want to PM that to me or however you want to share it, I will give it to her and let you know what phone number to call.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #37  

p.s. This thread has gone severely off topic my apologies to people following it about the announcement re: Maintenance - I will let you know whenever I hear more.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-23-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #38  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Lisa - The 2nd doc I sought out does take insurance. From our PMs, I think he very much fits what you are seeking. He is in similar location as the other. PM me if you are interested.

Amber - I will PM you. This is important because this coach travels across from clinic to clinic here in the Chicagoland area so he has a sweeping impact. I am absolutely surprised there are no negative reviews on the Internet on how this protocol is administered because my experience is certainly not isolated as Lisa and many others have highlighted. It would be awesome if we could affect change in their business model.

Last edited by Ro22; 04-23-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Good morning all,

Had a WI yesterday (am on maintenance now and go in about every 2 weeks) and went through the new blue Ideal Lifestyle manual with my coach. As far I can tell, there's not necessarily a lot of "new" information, just a bunch of pages with glossy illustrations of all the things covered in Dr. Wilkinson's IP videos (which I love): the need to separate fats from carbs, the need to have a P1 or P2 day after a "Fun Day," how to calculate net carbs, how to read nutrition labels, etc. In other words, I didn't find it all that eye-opening. As someone who has been using MFP and trying to figure out what exact macros to aim for each day and how many calories to aim for, etc., I was really hoping to see some numbers or percentages or more useful guidelines. I know each body's different, but I guess I thought there may be more precise info for people in various weight ranges or heights or PBF zones. Nothing like that though. They still could not give me a Protein/Carb/Fat % breakdown for me or even Max Calories, Fats or Carbs per day. I will just keep calculating those based on what I experience and also learn from others here.

Sounds like they want maintainers to keep up weekly appointments for up to a year after they move into that phase, and they recommend using those IP Complete Meal Replacement drinks every so often during maintenance (which I actually have been doing about once or maybe twice a week when in a rush and on the go and unable to get my 2 cups of veggies plus protein in). They also have a new little daily journal that spells out a bit more info than the P1 journal and has things like sample menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but, as far as I could tell, it was really just the same info and menus that we've seen on the Protocol sheets for the various phases.

I can see how all this would be helpful for some folks, but it was not as new and improved and informative as I was hoping for. I guess I will be sticking with this board and the Maintainers' threads in particular for the bulk of my knowledge!

Perhaps others will have a different assessment once they meet with their coaches. I'd be happy to hear about that in case I was just kinda rushing through it all with my coach.
Mimi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:35 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

My clinic did weekly meetings even in Maintenance for a couple of months, until I felt comfortable with the scenario, and then we moved to twice monthly, then a couple once a month, then I am welcome to come back if I need a tune-up. All included in the original price. Perhaps they are a secret trial clinic, to see what things work before total rollout to all franchises, lol.

They really can't give us exact calories or even percentages because some need very low carbs still to maintain, while others can eat 100-150 net a day and still maintain. Some, due to exercise and very active lifestyles, can get away with a lot more calories than others who work a desk job and like to read & knit in their off-time. Our bodies are all so very different.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #41  

Height: 5'2

Well put Liana. It is mainly based on basal metabolic rate and activity level which is quite different for everyone. I think the 1 year of weekly/biweekly/monthly appointments will help people to maintain better. The Ideal Complete is recommended because there was research done showing that people who regularly used meal replacement drinks were 80% more successful at maintaining their weight loss. It makes sense because if you're using meal replacement drinks, you're keeping a closer eye on your eating habits. I personally use the vanilla Ideal Complete blended with extra water and frozen blueberries for mornings on the run. It's pretty tasty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
My clinic did weekly meetings even in Maintenance for a couple of months, until I felt comfortable with the scenario, and then we moved to twice monthly, then a couple once a month, then I am welcome to come back if I need a tune-up. All included in the original price. Perhaps they are a secret trial clinic, to see what things work before total rollout to all franchises, lol.

They really can't give us exact calories or even percentages because some need very low carbs still to maintain, while others can eat 100-150 net a day and still maintain. Some, due to exercise and very active lifestyles, can get away with a lot more calories than others who work a desk job and like to read & knit in their off-time. Our bodies are all so very different.

Liana
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
Well put Liana. It is mainly based on basal metabolic rate and activity level which is quite different for everyone. I think the 1 year of weekly/biweekly/monthly appointments will help people to maintain better. The Ideal Complete is recommended because there was research done showing that people who regularly used meal replacement drinks were 80% more successful at maintaining their weight loss. It makes sense because if you're using meal replacement drinks, you're keeping a closer eye on your eating habits. I personally use the vanilla Ideal Complete blended with extra water and frozen blueberries for mornings on the run. It's pretty tasty!
Good to hear about the research behind it. I use the vanilla Meal Replacements vitamixed with water, ice, strawberries, and spinach (just for the extra veggies) and. It is unbelievably filling.

Liana -- lucky re your clinic's pricing policy. Mine charges per each visit/WI.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #43  

Mimi - you are getting charged for your maintenance appointments??? How much do they charge you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Good to hear about the research behind it. I use the vanilla Meal Replacements vitamixed with water, ice, strawberries, and spinach (just for the extra veggies) and. It is unbelievably filling.

Liana -- lucky re your clinic's pricing policy. Mine charges per each visit/WI.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #44  

$20 per coaching visit, I think. At least that's what it was throughout the other phases -- I need to check if they're still charging me that for my maintenance appts. Are they free for everyone else???
Old 04-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #45  

I was never charged any coaching fees for any phases but then again my coach wasn't a medical doctor and wasn't part of any medical practice. I suppose clinics can charge whatever they want but I wish there was more standardization from the IP head office.