Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #451  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

FYI. MiO is sweetened with sucralose (Splenda.)

However, yes, the Stur enhancers are fine.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #452  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBee_ View Post
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a communal Google spreadsheet to track alternatives and maybe each "active" member on alts could have a column where they put a quick rating of it (optional obviously). I'm basically doing it for myself right now as I try all of the new things I bought, but it wouldn't be too hard to transfer it online. We could have it set up similarly to Lisa's challenge spreadsheet, where you need to be invited to view it.
If you're talking about rating it for tastes the issue is that tastes vary so widely. Example: some people love the IP broccoli/cheese soup. To say it doesn't appeal to me would be an understatement. Just because one person likes something doesn't mean another person will.

So, what would you be rating?

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-05-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #453  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProtein14 View Post
ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Peanut Butter and Smooth Caramel Crisp

I found this bar on the Nashua site. I couldn't believe that it appears to be unrestricted. Now I know some go by under 8 as unrestricted and some do 8 and under. Either way...what do you think?

calories 140
cal from fat 40
Total carb 18
dietary fiber 10
sugar 3
sugar alcohol 3
protein 15

If I am going by 8 and under unrestricted then it would work right?
It's close to the edge. I consider those restricted (I personally go with 8 carbs and over, rather than 8 and under and I only subtract the sugar alcohol erythritol as it has the least effect on blood sugar). A good rule for me is to limit them. In maintenance we won't be eating a lot of candy-like foods.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #454  
Started IP July 28, 2014

Well, I was thinking of a x/5 rating and then space to put a few brief comments (I.e. Cardboardy, too powdery, etc).

I agree that everyone's tastes vary but it's no different than reviews elsewhere (restaurants, clothes etc). It's not a guarantee that you'll like it or not, but it can help identity the stinkers and the potentially really great ones. I.E. I was going to buy a box of Quest lemon bars (love citrus) but after reading so many people with negative thoughts on them, I only ordered a couple to try. Maybe I'll love them, or maybe I just saved some money. I was also thinking since it'd be by user, people might find their tastes are similar to so and so and lean towards trying products that person has rates highly.

Aside from the rating, I think it would just be nice to have it better organized than pages and pages of comments. Is like to do something similar with the recipes (Tumblr maybe?) but that's a much bigger project.

(I wrote this from my phone and 3FC is not mobile friendly so sorry for any typos!)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #455  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBee_ View Post
Well, I was thinking of a x/5 rating and then space to put a few brief comments (I.e. Cardboardy, too powdery, etc).

I agree that everyone's tastes vary but it's no different than reviews elsewhere (restaurants, clothes etc). It's not a guarantee that you'll like it or not, but it can help identity the stinkers and the potentially really great ones. I.E. I was going to buy a box of Quest lemon bars (love citrus) but after reading so many people with negative thoughts on them, I only ordered a couple to try. Maybe I'll love them, or maybe I just saved some money. I was also thinking since it'd be by user, people might find their tastes are similar to so and so and lean towards trying products that person has rates highly.

Aside from the rating, I think it would just be nice to have it better organized than pages and pages of comments. Is like to do something similar with the recipes (Tumblr maybe?) but that's a much bigger project.

(I wrote this from my phone and 3FC is not mobile friendly so sorry for any typos!)
the recipe project has been undertaken many times. The issue is that people come & go but new recipes are continually added. If more than one person had access as "owner" it might be possible to keep a project like that going.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #456  

S/C/G: 168.8/136.4./130

Height: 5'2''

I love that idea. Big undertaking SarahBee! I agree that it would be great to not only have most products info compressed to one area rather than spread out but also to have it rated. Yes people's taste are different, but cardboard is cardboard!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #457  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

For the recipes, I was originally thinking we could do something like the south beach board which makes it easier to look for a recipe that you need

(edit: I tried to link to the page but 3FC blocked it. I guess I need to re-read those rules ;p)

But then realizing that the recipes are all together in a few threads probably makes it not doable for our board. (They have some together but often they are grouped together by main ingredient...but they also have some that were just devoted to that one recipe. I know that we don't want to clog up the board with recipe posts).

Last edited by nat1015; 09-06-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #458  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
the recipe project has been undertaken many times. The issue is that people come & go but new recipes are continually added. If more than one person had access as "owner" it might be possible to keep a project like that going.
Someone actually DID compile most of the recipes into a recipe book back in 2012, I might have the file somewhere on my computer.....will have to do some hunting....
Old 09-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #459  

S/C/G: 168/148.4/148

Height: 5'9"

Just curious if anyone has experience trying any of the Simply Bars (normal, whey, or the minis)? Their nutrition reads like they would work pretty well, bu they have very mixed reviews. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them before I mess around with ordering - aparently they're only carried in stores on the East Coast.

Also looking into Kays Naturals products as restricteds. They use pea protein instead of soy or whey. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with either product or the protein?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #460  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Found it!!! Now it's from 2012, so I'm sure there have been many new recipes posted here since then, but Kara did such a great job on it, it's worth sharing!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ideal Protein Big Recipe Book.pdf (1.08 MB, 79 views)
Old 09-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #461  

S/C/G: Goal: 150

Height: 5'8"

I've tried the Simply whey bars in Coconut and the Simply chips in the spicy flavor. Both are restricted. I like the chips - they are shaped like Fritos but have a good flavor overall and they give you that crunch when you need it. Sometimes I add a couple on top of a taco salad for crunch and they've got a subtle kick to them. The bars are only ok. If I need a light quick snack they will do. Flavour is ok - I love coconut, but it's like a chewy rice crispy treat in texture. Decent sized bar. Pretty good but not great. I love to hear about any more "natural" type IP compliant food as I try to avoid too much soy and long lists of ingredients. I prefer a couple of the Quest bars, but the Simply brand is good to have as a nice change every now and then. I'm dying to try the Quest chips but want to finish up some of my products before I get more. I live in the Midwest and I bought the Simply products on Amazon.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #462  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAvery View Post
Just curious if anyone has experience trying any of the Simply Bars (normal, whey, or the minis)? Their nutrition reads like they would work pretty well, bu they have very mixed reviews. I'm wondering if anyone has tried them before I mess around with ordering - aparently they're only carried in stores on the East Coast.

Also looking into Kays Naturals products as restricteds. They use pea protein instead of soy or whey. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with either product or the protein?
I've tried several ok the Kay's Naturals. The chili nacho chips are a bit like Doritos. The cinnamon almond cookies are very good, but sweetened with honey, so if you are really carb sensitive I would avoid them.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #463  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Found it!!! Now it's from 2012, so I'm sure there have been many new recipes posted here since then, but Kara did such a great job on it, it's worth sharing!
Thank you! That is great!! I just loaded it onto my home page!!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #464  

S/C/G: 168/148.4/148

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for everyone's input - wonderful to have such educated resources willing to support a fellow IP-er when I have a question.

KDmom I stumbled upon the Kays Naturals previously - they sell them in our local Walgreens & some convenience since their factory is so close. From what I see their items are gluten-free, crunchy snack like items (both sweet & savory options). Below is nutrition info on One of their items for people to evaluate for IP Phase 1 appropriateness Please forgive any typos as my tablet won't let me just cut & paste...

Calories: 120
Calories from fat: 30
Tatal carbs: 15
Dietary fiber: 4
Sugars: 1
Protein: 12

They do have cane sugar listed in the ingredients as well as stevia (no signs of any attificial sweeteners). I would count them a restricted due to carb count - but usually prefer my items to have 15 grams of protein - does anyone see something I'm missing? They're a very nice price point as well

KDmom thanks again for the bar review, especially on the texture. I prefer a dense, chewy bar (like the Quest bars which I have to limit) to feel satiated as well as for the all important mouth feel.

Wahoofan I saw that as well - what has been your experience with the honey? I see ingredients like that & the whole product makes me nervous...
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #465  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetyBird View Post
Have you tried the Health Wise Protein Chips from the The Protein Store on the web? This is Ranch Crunch.
(Cal 130, Fat 4g, SFat 0.5g, Carbs 15- 5 fiber =10 net carbs, Sugars 3g, Protein 10g.)
Potato Flakes rice soy dairy and may contain wheat. They are really good and much cheaper than the Soy Crisps from IP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I order them all the time from Nashua a Nutrition... Ranch, salt and vinegar, BBQ and my FAVORITE - pizza!

JLUS......are these called "HealthSMART protein chips" you're talking about? I think I used to purchase them.....AND LOVED THEM!!

I'll be purchasing more! . Just a question tho......is there a rule of thumb on grams of sugar? I know this qualifies as a restricted, just curious about the 5 grams sugar.

Thx!!

TO ADD TO THIS: Anyone tried both of the above mentioned chips and can make a taste comparison? Also, has anyone tried the QUEST protein chips and if so can you compare to the above chips??? Thx!!!

Last edited by disgal; 09-07-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Closed Thread