Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #91  
professor hardy harr!

Height: 5"1.5 (don't forget the .5)

Good morning everyone .... in 2011 I did IP and lost a significent amount of weight (108lbs) I maintained it for a year and a half. We got pregnant with our son in july of last year, he was born april 2nd. Pregnancy was unkind to me (or rather I was unkind to me haha) and I gained 51lbs that wasn't baby. Being that I am on maternity leave (in canada we get one year at 55% of our regular income) this is obviously a huge financial hit for us (totally worth it though as it allows us to get by and keeps me home with our little man). I cannot afford to do IP at this time and I can't wait 9 more months to start shedding this weight. I started 4 weeks ago, cut out all refined carbs/sugar, I have been eating decent cuts of meat and IP approved veggies. The first week I lost 7lbs, 2nd week 1lbs, 3ed week 5lbs and today marked week 4, I was up 1lb .... I am wonderong if anyone has tried using just supermarket food (no prepackaged meal replacements) with any success? .... I know that there is alternative prepackaged stuff that compares to IP however I worry about the stuff I can't pronounce in the ingredients as I don't want them to get into my breastmilk). Also wondering if anyone knows what I should keepy carbs under and does that include carbs from veggies?

Just a desperate mama looking for some guidence and a way to get back into my clothes. Having nothing nice to wear and feeling unpretty sucks
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

Hi canadiancandy

1 year maternity leave is AMAZING! Even at 55% salary, Canada has it figured out.

i am using only products i can find in a market. I use Jay Robb whey and Whole Foods Whey for my "IP Protein" and sometimes supplement with eggs if im tired of the shakes. Then I just use meat and veggies from the market. It works pretty well and is relatively inexpensive.
I too worry about ingredients i cant pronounce and additives. Especially a concern if you are breastfeeding, I would imagine.
It may be a little boring, but phase 1 is not forever and you seem to be losing rapidly.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #93  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancandy View Post
Good morning everyone .... in 2011 I did IP and lost a significent amount of weight (108lbs) I maintained it for a year and a half. We got pregnant with our son in july of last year, he was born april 2nd. Pregnancy was unkind to me (or rather I was unkind to me haha) and I gained 51lbs that wasn't baby. Being that I am on maternity leave (in canada we get one year at 55% of our regular income) this is obviously a huge financial hit for us (totally worth it though as it allows us to get by and keeps me home with our little man). I cannot afford to do IP at this time and I can't wait 9 more months to start shedding this weight. I started 4 weeks ago, cut out all refined carbs/sugar, I have been eating decent cuts of meat and IP approved veggies. The first week I lost 7lbs, 2nd week 1lbs, 3ed week 5lbs and today marked week 4, I was up 1lb .... I am wonderong if anyone has tried using just supermarket food (no prepackaged meal replacements) with any success? .... I know that there is alternative prepackaged stuff that compares to IP however I worry about the stuff I can't pronounce in the ingredients as I don't want them to get into my breastmilk). Also wondering if anyone knows what I should keepy carbs under and does that include carbs from veggies?

Just a desperate mama looking for some guidence and a way to get back into my clothes. Having nothing nice to wear and feeling unpretty sucks
Nursing makes this a whole lot trickier, since you need to have increased caloric count and fat to make sure your milk production stays healthy. Not trying to dissuade you from IP (and am completely unqualified to discuss)...but have you considered something like South Beach? I have a friend who lost 40 lbs on South Beach after her pregnancies and nursed during because South Beach allows for increased healthy fats. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #94  
professor hardy harr!

Height: 5"1.5 (don't forget the .5)

Co 6

Thank you, for your input. My losses have been good (I believe the one pound gain this week is superficial, bloating or something haha) I will look for those products.

Evemomma

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into southbeach. I was very concerned about affecting my milk supply. I spoke to my doctor and she agreed with the IP program approach for breastfeeding and my milk supply would be fine. You add one healthy carb serving (sweet potato, sprouted grain wrap etc) one fruit and an extra serving of healthy fat. She also of course knows I am trying to use food instead of the protein supplementes.

I am wondering what people try to keep their carb total under? ... I obviously won't be able to go that low but would like to know how close I am.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #95  

I just wanted to chime in with a hello! I've been using the IP protocols to shape my diet. 2 and a 1/2 weeks and I've lost 11+ pounds. I had one minor slip, traveled on business for 2 days and tried to modify what was available to me. Got home and went right back to it. I'm so glad you are all here, your insight and experience is so helpful. blessings to you all!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 5'4

Does anyone use the Adkins bars you can buy in most grocery stores as alternative? Do they work?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 5'4

Does anyone use the Adkins bars you can buy in most grocery stores as alternative products? Do they work the same as a restricted bar?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschick0925 View Post
Does anyone use the Adkins bars you can buy in most grocery stores as alternative? Do they work?

Thanks!
Atkins is a low carb HIGH fat eating plan. IP is low carb and low fat. The Atkins products have too high of a fat content for IP alternatives!

Here are some guidelines to select alternative products:

- under 160 calories = Unrestricted (though MOST IP packets range from 90-120)
- under 200 calories = Restricted
- less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
- 8g or less NET* carbs - unrestricted (some prefer under 8)
- 9g-16g NET* carbs - restricted
- 17g NET* carbs - super restricted (only once/twice per week)
- above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
- at least 12-15g protein (don’t go much above 20g regularly)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #99  

Hi, I was on IP last year and loved there chicken soup. I tried wonder slim chicken and veg soup and could barely get it down. How is the soup with proti thin?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #100  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynwils2003 View Post
Hi, I was on IP last year and loved there chicken soup. I tried wonder slim chicken and veg soup and could barely get it down. How is the soup with proti thin?
A lot of them are the same company. I like protidiet chicken noodle. Pretty close to Lipton! The IP chicken noodle co heals when you hear it too long as it has collagen in it. The PD hasn't done that for me yet.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #101  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
The IP chicken noodle co heals when you hear it too long as it has collagen in it. The PD hasn't done that for me yet.

Please explain if you don't mind. Thank you.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #102  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynwils2003 View Post
Please explain if you don't mind. Thank you.
Holy spelling mistakes batman! Sorry about that. I meant to say congealed. Gets gloppy and chunky. I was told not to overheat it but in a micro it gets away from you. IP has collagen in the raspberry jelly and it helps with skin elasticity. The chicken noodle soup also has some and I am pretty sure that is where the gloppy texture comes from BUT only when you overheat it.

PD soup has never given me the same problem and I find it mixes better. There has already been comments that a lot of alternative products seem to be coming from the same manufacturer with just different labels on them.

Not sure which part you wanted explained but hopefully that covered it.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

NASHUA NUTRITION FREE SHIPPING TODAY

(on orders over $49). Use code TODAY49 (case sensitive).

Canadian orders -save $15 toward shipping on orders over $49. Use code TODAY15 (case sensitive)

Happy Shopping!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #104  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

canadiancandy:
Go you and your new baby and breastfeeding. I exclusively pumped 13 months (ended in January). I don't know if it's a myth or not but, it scared me enough that I took it as the bible truth but, I've heard if you lose weight (fat) too quickly when you breastfeed that the toxins from your fat lost get in your breastmilk? Like I said...can be total myth but, it really kept me away from doing a low carb/big loss kind of diet. I didn't want my supply to tank either.
To be quite honest in retrospect...maybe I was just trying to be lazy and give myself a out so it would be one less thing for me to deal with, with working fulltime, pumping, and handling a new baby. hmm...might be some truth in that. If I really wanted to know the truth I could of easily have googled it.

I personally have never found any natural products above and beyond the animal protein and veggies to replace the bars and shakes.

I wish you the best of luck losing the baby weight and maintaining your milk supply.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
NASHUA NUTRITION FREE SHIPPING TODAY

(on orders over $49). Use code TODAY49 (case sensitive).

Canadian orders -save $15 toward shipping on orders over $49. Use code TODAY15 (case sensitive)

Happy Shopping!
How do you find out about these codes? I used the one that johndeere posted at the beginning of June and got $5 off my first Nashua order. Is it when you sign up for discounts and promotions? Do they send you an email with the codes?
Closed Thread