Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #346  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Up another 1/2 today. Now I'm getting kind of scared. I don't understand this.

I ate light P4 yesterday -- under 1200 calories.

I guess I'm looking at P1 for a while . . . all this just for one evening's splurge? Feeling discouraged.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #347  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I do some veggie salad mixes now that I am out of P1/P2 - diced jicama & cucumber with stevia + lime juice. (a LOT of) diced celery, a few quartered grapes, diced green apple + lemon juice & plain yogurt w/stevia (waldorfy type salad). I do a lot of hiding of veggies - mashed or rice cauliflower, cooking kale into my chili and Indian sauces, etc.
I like the jicama & cucumber idea - actually those all sound good! Thanks for the ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post

I guess I'm looking at P1 for a while . . . all this just for one evening's splurge? Feeling discouraged.
Relax Sylviesgirl - give it another couple of days and drink lots of water. Sometimes takes a day or two to go down. Seriously, don't freak out. If it's not gone in a couple of days then you can take another look and change things up if necessary. I know it feels like you're going to gain all the weight back overnight but you really won't.

Scales and weight are weird things. After my stress eating on Sunday my scale stayed the same but I felt bloated and icky - drank a ton of water yesterday and kept my carbs low and feel much better today. It's a learning curve for sure.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #348  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Lizarr: Thanks for the good vege ideas. I had a an asian jicama slaw and was thinking of trying to make it. I like the idea of stevia and lime juice added to it with cucumbers. That waldorf with lemon juice and yogurt also sounds good. Yes, my son is a chef..I like the idea of adding kate to Indian so you can get more veges. Today we are going to make Yakisoba chicken using cabbage noodles.

Syviesgirl: Hang in there. You are learning what works for you. It is discouraging, but there are times when the up pounds do not bounce off right away. Try the P1 for a few days. Also keep up your water. Are you exercising?
When I first started maintenance, I felt like any up pounds meant that I was regaining all of my weight back. Then I calmed down and said, you simply need to work off these pounds.

Canadjineh: That is a lovely new picture! Adding a dash of yogurt or sour cream can really step up a dish. Also I like your idea of using pumpkin seeds.

RuthAnn: Good advice. Scales and weight are weird. You simply have to keep figuring out what works for your body. I still love the quote..the scale simply tells you what you have to do. I am glad you are feeling better after Sunday.

Cbl70: That is very good news about your lab work. You really are maintaining and impressing your doctor.

Slipfree. Welcome to maintenance. Those up pounds can be scary at first, but you eventually get used to them. The best thing is that IP gives you the tool to work them off.

Evemomma: That sounds like a great meal from that Mexican restaurant. I have done wierd things like order Mexican Tortilla soup without the tortillas. It is fun to learn new ways of eating.

Off for a walk and then to yoga. It is going to be hot again.

Last edited by Maile; 07-08-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #349  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Good morning,

Sylvie, I had a two glasses of wine, grilled shrimp, two bite of an app., black bean salad with avocado and very little corn and salad. I was up 3.5 pounds the next day. My body reacts immediately when I change my diet/sodium and I retain water. I have been learning that it is not real weight. After 1 day of Phase 1, I am down 3 pounds. Remember it takes a lot of calories to gain 1 pound of fat. Now, I think of it as fluctuations. You and I talked about a weight range, are you within it? If yes,then relax. If not, couple days of Phase 1. Process not perfection. We can do this

Maile, thank you for the welcome and the advice. You are a bit of a legend in my mind since I am currently reading Maintainers 7. Enjoy your walk and yoga. Hope it cools off soon.

Last edited by Slipfree; 07-08-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #350  
Started IP 1/29/2013

S/C/G: 194/130/145

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post

When I first started maintenance I would freak out if I was 1 pound out of my range. As time went on I realized that weight varies depending on salt intake, fluid intake, etc......When I have my fun day on a Saturday it takes me until Wednesday or Thursday of the next week to get back to my ideal weight. I do cut it back the day after but then go back to my "normal" eating after that. Hang in there! Maintenance is a HUGE learning experience.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #351  
Started IP 2/13/13

Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate all of your perspectives and advice. My biggest challenge with maintenance is going to be managing my "all or nothing" personality. Moderation is a challenge for me.

It is good to know (though it is not good news) that it may be normal for this fake-weight to take a few days to normalize. I was under the impression that 1 day of P1 and it would all flush out, so I was freaking when my P1 day did nothing. I went back to a light P4 yesterday and managed to gain another 1/2 lb. That puts me 4.5 lbs over my limit and up 7 from last week at this time. ???? I was at the top of my 2.5 lb range when I had my splurge night. Not ideal timing, weight-wise, but it was a rare dinner alone for me and my hubby, so I decided to "moderate" my perspective and just enjoy the evening rather than making my weight the priority.

I have a very active and physically demanding weekend coming up -- my son's Eagle project (boy scouts). I don't want to be eating P1-style this weekend, so I will do it today - Thursday, and I will be flushing with water big time. I will need more calories for the weekend. So I guess that's my plan.

I guess this was a good learning experience for me. Finding out that 1 P1 day will not magically fix it is a harsh reality, but necessary to know.

I miss my P3 breakfasts!!!

Thanks again, all ~
Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #352  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Good planning Sylviesgirl! See, you are already getting the hang of maintenance planning instead of just winging it & hoping. Don't stress too much about the weight, there are ever so many reasons why there are 'extra' lbs on us at times. Any added stress, bad string of difficult sleeps, more salt in the foods you chose, alcohol, etc; you will get the hang of how your body reacts to its environment (internal & external) and in the future you will be able to look back over the week and go 'aha, that's why...' and then adjust from there.

On a totally different note: my local grocery store has begun selling what they call 'smoothie kits' in the produce section. It's a tray of fresh berries & other assorted fruits, like peach or banana, packed on a wrapped styro tray with a little bundle of kale. Someone came up with an interesting 'healthy marketing plan.' There are a lot of 'convenience health foods' here especially during the summer as we have many athletes (mainly runners & cyclists) in town and houseboat vacationers hanging about stocking their boats (or rather ships, since some of the rentals sleep 30).

Liana
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #353  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Hi Ladies! It's been a while since I posted. I just glanced quickly through some threads and happened to notice Ruth Ann's new profile picture. You look fantastic! I wish I had time to check everyone's out but it is so hard to find time to read and post these days.

I am maintaining pretty well. I find it is a matter of avoiding some really refined carbs and throwing in P1 days. DH is now doing P1 strictly and I am trying to stick with it for his sake til he hits goal. I sneak extras, as I don't want to lose more weight. Never thought I'd say that!

I think I am adapting to a new way of life and this new body now. I never want to return to my old ways. Been maintaining since October now! I have luckily inspired so many family members and friends to join IP with great success. I think it helps me to stay on course with my health, as I feel like an example and don't want to have them become discouraged. My BIL has recently started. He is over 300 lbs and after seeing my losses he decided to try IP. He seems to be all in and has a great attitude. He is down 12 lbs the first week and amazed at the results. He tried the 6 week body makeover in the past but finds this is much easier to follow and I have given him lots of recipes so he doesn't feel like he's on a "diet" so much.

Maile: I think you were looking for veggie ideas? I love sauteed cabbage! I use a little grapeseed oil and sprinkle in some red pepper flakes and soy sauce. It is so good! I can eat a heap of it! I also like to use it to top off my pulled pork over cauliflower tortillas. My friend makes a soup out of zucchini, beef broth, garlic and seasonings and blends it with her immersion blender. It is quite good.

I like cutting jicama into fries and sprinkling with splenda and cinnamon and munching on them. Tastes like an apple!

I figured out how to make my own mayo now so I make my own Ranch seasoning and add Frank's and use it as a dip for my Rutabaga fries. OMG! Delicious!

Well, I best be getting to work. Nice to pop in and see everyone. Have a great day!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #354  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

I'd like to second the sautéed cabbage idea. I shred it like I would for slaw and also use red peppers. Yum!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #355  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl70 View Post
I'd like to second the sautéed cabbage idea. I shred it like I would for slaw and also use red peppers. Yum!
Yes to this... I have been known to buy a bag of coleslaw and dump it into the sauté pan at dinner after slightly browning slivers of garlic and chopping in some red peppers.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #356  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi All!

Thans for the sautéed cabbage idea. I'm going to try it tomorrow night for a change. I bought a big cabbage + lots of other veggies at the farm stand today. Spent a bunch of money, but that extra fresh local produce is worth it. Also I like to suppor the local farmers. Red peppers, zucchini of many shapes and colors, awesome cucumbers and some fresh corn. Yum!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #357  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Hello all; I am back from some holidays and it feels good to be into more of a healthy eating schedule. I try and be careful when I'm away but I do let myself enjoy a few things too. I am drinking lots of water today and eating the protein with the vegies. I always feel so much better when I eat like that. And it'll be nice to see some of these up pounds melt away. I bought some running shorts today so am anxious to try them out. It always is good to be home and back into routine once again.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #358  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Hi everyone! Seems like a lot to catch up on but looks like everyone is doing well! Been busy, busy, busy - someday it will slow down. Right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Hi Ladies! It's been a while since I posted. I just glanced quickly through some threads and happened to notice Ruth Ann's new profile picture. You look fantastic!
Thanks dak!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #359  
Started IP 2/13/13

Hawaii -- Welcome back! Sounds like you have the right attitude -- and cute workout clothes, too.

RuthAnn -- Yes, yes it will . . . slow down, that is.

Well, down 3 today. Whew! That is a relief, but more to go. I wayyyy under-ate yesterday which was probably not the best thing. I will do a light P3 today. My quest to find balance continues, learning as I go.

Have a good day, all~
Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #360  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

SylviesGirl, Hooray on those 3 pounds down. You are figuring things out in maintenance. You should be in good shape for your big weekend!

RuthAnn: When i am working, things never seem to slow down! Good luck with that busy week.

Hawaii69: Welcome back. It does feel good to be in your routine again. how fun to have running shorts. I just bought a running shirt which is light and cooler for workouts.

Dak1lls: You have been a good influence on your family maintaining since October! Thanks for that cabbage recipe. I love sauteed cabbage but have not tried it with grapeseed oil and soy sauce! The zucchini soup sounds interesting. I definitely am going to try jicama fries. Thanks.

Cbl70, Canadjineh and Joysh: I also like red peppers with the cabbage and all of the fresh produce. I make Indian cabbage with tumeric and cumin seeds. I am happy to try a new recipe.

Last night we made cabbage rolls filled with pastrami, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and cream cheese. This was decadence and high fat..but low carb. I do not do these high fat meals often, but it was good. Today is back to my usual healthier meals.
Closed Thread