Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #316  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Mars and Hawaii, yes, there are no you can,t eat foods. I used to think foods were good or bad..good if you were on and bad if you were off. Now I look at them as how healthy are they and then choose the tastiest from that list. A friend told me to ask ..how will I feel after eating that?
Initially I used ip products for p1 but then just went very low carb..I lost my initial pounds from south beach diet. Lower Fat seems to work for me.

I have been surprised that people like my healthy vegetable dishes. I love ethnic food and am cooking Harissa shrimp and yogurt raita.

Last edited by Maile; 02-27-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Hey Hey Everyone,

I am still lurking...love all the info. THAT I CAN'T APPLY lol! Changed doctors this past two weeks and had to do my gestational diabetes tests. YES, more then ONE! I asked him to just give me the two hour fasting one and he said "nah, lets do screening" and I just came under the wire so he called me back to do the fasting one. I actually said "I told you!" and he said "yes you did, you know your body" so I got to drink a CRAP ton of sugar that tasted DISGUSTING! YAY ME! I wasn't happy with him but he appologized and well he's a new doc and has to get used to me. So I did my fasting one yesterday, I'm an old hat at this one as I was hypoglycemic when I was in elementary school and prediabetic for I think 6 years before I jumped on the IP band wagon. I always impress the lab techs with how fast I can drink the drink. I even got an "OMG that was fast" yesterday.

I called the office yesterday afternoon and it appears that I just passed under the wire. He doesn't want to see me today but wants to see me next week. So I pulled out my blood monitor and I'm monitoring my blood levels with the way I eat. It appears that I might even be a little low here and there (not high because I watch my sugar intake so closely) but nothing really that stands out which is a HUGE HUGE victory. I'm sure if I was still eating as before I'd be diabetic with this pregnancy and life would have a drastic change. So I'll spend a few days monitoring my levels and bring it in with me and hopefully he doesn't push a dietician on me as I'm sure they would push the Canada Food Guide on me which really pushes A LOT of carbs (A LOT). Don't get me wrong, I need my carbs but I think I have a good healthy level...I am gaining so I can't be doing too much wrong lol.

See how this post doesn't really apply to you guys...I'm the opposite of you. HAHA

I'm feeling pretty good and don't have much to complain about, my hiatus hernia is back which apparently never EVER goes away it just settled so baby pushed it back out. I'm walking still but not as much as I was even a month ago. This is like IP, my body is changing weekly.

Here is my 27 week photo...I'll leave it up for a bit. Especially LOVE my messy closet haha!

Keep posting iPeeps! There are many who read...if you are a reader...post once in a while!

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-24-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #318  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Hey Hey Everyone,

I am still lurking...love all the info. THAT I CAN'T APPLY lol! Changed doctors this past two weeks and had to do my gestational diabetes tests. YES, more then ONE! I asked him to just give me the two hour fasting one and he said "nah, lets do screening" and I just came under the wire so he called me back to do the fasting one. I actually said "I told you!" and he said "yes you did, you know your body" so I got to drink a CRAP ton of sugar that tasted DISGUSTING! YAY ME! I wasn't happy with him but he appologized and well he's a new doc and has to get used to me. So I did my fasting one yesterday, I'm an old hat at this one as I was hypoglycemic when I was in elementary school and prediabetic for I think 6 years before I jumped on the IP band wagon. I always impress the lab techs with how fast I can drink the drink. I even got an "OMG that was fast" yesterday.

I called the office yesterday afternoon and it appears that I just passed under the wire. He doesn't want to see me today but wants to see me next week. So I pulled out my blood monitor and I'm monitoring my blood levels with the way I eat. It appears that I might even be a little low here and there (not high because I watch my sugar intake so closely) but nothing really that stands out which is a HUGE HUGE victory. I'm sure if I was still eating as before I'd be diabetic with this pregnancy and life would have a drastic change. So I'll spend a few days monitoring my levels and bring it in with me and hopefully he doesn't push a dietician on me as I'm sure they would push the Canada Food Guide on me which really pushes A LOT of carbs (A LOT). Don't get me wrong, I need my carbs but I think I have a good healthy level...I am gaining so I can't be doing too much wrong lol.

See how this post doesn't really apply to you guys...I'm the opposite of you. HAHA

I'm feeling pretty good and don't have much to complain about, my hiatus hernia is back which apparently never EVER goes away it just settled so baby pushed it back out. I'm walking still but not as much as I was even a month ago. This is like IP, my body is changing weekly.

Here is my 27 week photo...I'll leave it up for a bit. Especially LOVE my messy closet haha!

Keep posting iPeeps! There are many who read...if you are a reader...post once in a while!
Wow! You look beautiful--great dress & your inner glow go well together!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #319  
Maile

Ishbel: You look too cute in front of that closet. I am glad that you do not have gestational diabetes. You are quite the pro with the glucose tests and monitoring your blood sugar. I was also surprised when I took the pre-diabetes class at the number of carbs that they suggest you eat. I hope your results keep you away from the dietitian. We are almost in March and May is not far away! You are inspirational with your dedication to health while pregnant!
I got a hernia when I was pregnant with my twins. I have had it for many years and have not had a problem.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #320  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Hi guys, just checking in as I end week 2 of Phase 4. It's been a good week, after the pig out on Sunday, I've tried to really watch what I eat. Does anyone find that sticking to the full P3 breakfast kinda front loads your day? Do we need to maintain eating all that food for breakfast? That's a question I plan to ask tomorrow. I just got a Fit Bit so am using that to track the food and am keeping a diary - quite a challenge as I have to find the carbs, fiber, fat and protein content for stuff now that I never had to look up before (did you guys know that bok choy has significant protein?). I still don't know how to deal with alcohol - do I treat it as a fat, carb? Nutritionally, it seems to be in a class by itself - alcohol. But if I have a glass of wine and a vodka soda, and that's the only stray off an P4 regime, how do I treat that? All these questions LOL. I have my first follow up weigh in tomorrow at the clinic so will be interesting to see what their scales say and what advice I get.
Have a great day!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #321  

Height: 5'4"

Maile: I would just do one day of p1 after a fun day. Once I discovered Arctic Zero, the fun days would be low calorie but would have way too many sugar grams even tho there would be fiber grams to offset them. Surprise! That doesn't work. So the cycle of being up on Sunday and back down by Saturday, started to creep up. Then, the holidays hit and a couple of weeks had two fun days so then no matter how austere I kept the p4 days as long as that Arctic Zero was in them, they just wouldn't cycle down low enough. And, crazily I kind of gain if too much cardio gets into my workouts. (Could be it makes me hungry/eat more, could be some hormonal balancing things were going on, or it's just my unique body thing). So the reset was so brutal, that I am really thinking on how to approach so I don't ever have to do it again (or at least not for that long). For now, I kind of need the fun day as I figure out how to put more balance into the week. This week I did 5 days at a little over 1500 calories each following p4 rules, so we'll see. I think it will probably settle into 1400 calories which will allow a little more leeway for both the fun day and the p1 day. I've got some IP stuff for the p1 day but the stuff is really starting to taste "off", so I'll be looking at some other options that still stay within the macros.

Ishbel, you look like you are really enjoying your pregnancy. Just as a point of reference, you might want to check out The Bradley Method of Childbirth just from the standpoint of a doctor who believes a healthy diet includes a minimum of 100g of complete protein and is only a tiny bit heavy with the carbs. http://www.bradleybirth.com/Diet.aspx

ecdcslim, you can kind of get away with the alcohol, sort of like a slip. If you keep it to just 2 or 3 times a week, you can definitely have a glass of wine and it doesn't count as anything (well, calories). I have had vodka, too, and as long as what you have with it isn't sugary, or you consider the juice the dinner carb--you mentioned soda, which I am assuming is soda water--you can do that too. Basically, kind of see what happens. I think the key is that it isn't every single night, but even then, as long as you balance the calories from it (likely eliminate a carb serving if you are doing it every night), you can include it.
I'm curious to hear what your coach will say.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #322  
Maile

Infoplease: I have not tried the Artic zero, but have heard it is good. I hope you figure out an eating approach for you that works. I agree that resets can be brutal when you are used to eating for maintenance. Sometimes it takes me more than one day to get an up pound down and I do P1 for more than one day.
I have been thinking of checking out a book..Happy Hormones Slim Belly by Jorge Cruise. He promotes carb cycling. 2 days of slim eating with about zero carbs and then 5 happy days with eating up to 500 sugar calories a day. He does not count calories..only sugar calories. He also claims that women over 40 have hormonal fluctuations that cause carb cravings.

There are no easy answers on weight gain. Gaining from doing more cardio must be frustrating,. Since I got my new tracker, I have increased my activity more steps and more workouts..but it has not caused any weight loss. I do feel more energetic!

I hope your 1500 calorie 5 days makes for a good week for your fun day and your p1.

ecdcslim: I did not know that bok choy had protein..good to know as I like it. Good luck on your weigh in. I like the p3 breakfasts and cut them back when I am working on up pounds. I agree with infoplease..alcohol is like a carb or a fruit. It usually does not cause a weight gain as long as you stay away from the sugar drinks.

I am officially tired of snow!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #323  

Maile: I am so lucky as I find that, if, after a p1 day, I keep p4 days lower in sugar (even with carbs at 100g net) that an up 3 pounds will go down within about two or three days. Sometimes it doesn't stay down, though.

I haven't looked at the Jorge Cruise latest book, I wasn't very impressed by his other stuff, I guess, except his marketing is compelling. I have been reading a lot on carb cycling tho. Much of it says to go up a carb serving or two on your exercise days, especially lifting days, then leave that out on other days, which will give you enough cycling to get an impact. There is also a website with a calculator if you want to get all detailed calories for it. Once I find them again, I'll post.

I wonder if Jorge Cruise really means SUGAR calories or just is calling all carbs sugar calories. In my 1500 calories per day example, 300 calories is 33% sugar, which sounds like a lot, but... The Zone Diet uses 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat, Jorge Cruise is modifying from that. Of course if you are only counting sugar calories it would seem there would have to be some other "rules" to make it work. I'll eagerly await your report back.

As for the hormonal fluctuations that cause carb cravings, I have done some research on that. It is arguably too much estrogen or too little progesterone to offset the estrogen. Since estrogen affects insulin and thyroid affects all of it and the fluctuates begin to accelerate once a woman gets to be over 40, I'm totally on board with that observation.

Yep,there are no easy answers on weight gain for sure. I think it is even more complex as even the same raw foods will not have the same nutrients so doing everything "whole food" would still need to be tweaked over time.

The gaining from cardio/losing muscle mass from cardio is just my way of keeping my trainer engaged ; )

It's so nice that your new tracker is keeping you motivated to continue with exercise and that you are feeling more energetic. I have read so much on the 90% of weight being "made" in the kitchen and 10% in the gym. Interestingly, the supposed 10% is crucial for maintenance even though we still get an "A" for the kitchen time. Maybe we can think of it as 80/20, where you can only get a "B" if you don't add a movement component (walking, lifting, yoga, dance, etc).

Yesterday's fun day wasn't a total disaster, but I really need to rethink it. It has become eating as reward for holding it together during the week rather than eating for pleasure, which is the intent. There is always next weekend!

I am officially tired of snow, too.

Last edited by infoplease; 03-02-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #324  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Are we addicted to sugar or sweetness in general?

[QUOTE=infoplease;4954937 It has become eating as reward for holding it together during the week rather than eating for pleasure, which is the intent. There is always next weekend! [/QUOTE]

This was me until I stopped planning those weekly fun days. Sometimes they arrive by virtue of a social occasion and it takes away the tension of white-knuckling it to just cal it my fun day. I don't have these more than one/week usually, if even that. Mentally, this approach gets me away from food-as-reward thinking.

Maile, thanks for the info about your P1 days sometimes needing to be longer than a single day! I hope you get a gentle March!

Re my subject header: Wondering if anyone else can relate to this:
Sucralose was a godsend in P1. It was in most of my IP packets, my WF daily salad dressing, and I used copious amounts of WF BBQ sauce/mayo dipping sauce that I made for my daily chicken. Mio went into every one of my 64 oz of water.

On P4, I've learned to avoid real sugar because it triggers binge-eating. But I've noticed sometimes I crave my vanilla whey shake that is very sweet. I even dilute it with unsweetened almond milk, and still crave it when I'm OP.

I'm still using up Mio & WF dressings. But I just bought some unflavored whey protein to use as morning meal-coffee lightener. I just wonder if there is something about either sucralose itself, or a conditioned response to sweetness that's triggering my inner sugar addict.

Last edited by mars735; 03-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #325  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

mars: I posted in the daily the other day but in case you missed it...Sweetleaf came out with a stevia sweetened water enhancer. It's just like MiO but has no sucralose. They have lemon lime, peach mango (which I believe is your fav!) raspberry lemonade and strawberry kiwi.

http://www26.netrition.com/sweetleaf..._enhancer.html

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 03-02-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #326  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
mars: I posted in the daily the other day but in case you missed it...Sweetleaf came out with a stevia sweetened water enhancer. It's just like MiO but has no sucralose. They have lemon lime, peach mango (which I believe is your fav!) raspberry lemonade and strawberry kiwi.

http://www26.netrition.com/sweetleaf..._enhancer.html
Thanks IPN--I'll check it out, though it may turn out I have a Stevia problem too, lol! BTW, you have a phenomenal memory!

ecdcslim, how's it going?

Last edited by mars735; 03-02-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #327  

Mars735: I know I am going to have to do the fun day more like you describe. My reluctance to go to that format kind of cements the fact that I need to do that.

I found this article that supports the idea that sucralose can definitely create sugar cravings: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261179.php
The size of the study and it being on obese subjects doesn't mean it might not be applicable to your situation.

Sucralose definitely changes gut bacteria. I don't know the feedback loop or if there is one. The idea that sucralose tricks the "sweet" receptors in the tongue and the gut makes sense to me in that it's not the caloric impact of sucrolose that is the problem but the cravings that lead to eating more calories that is the problem.

It is a sticky problem (unintentional pun, there). Sugar definitely messes stuff up and we as humans are programmed to like the sweet taste, like fruit, which some how intensifies into a need for chocolate cake. Well, for me, anyway.

Very complex and fascinating stuff.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #328  

Hey all. Going to be joining you all again in 5 lbs... whenever that happens...hopefully in the next 10 days. My old coach hated the fun day idea and encouraged me to eat 80/20. In other words 80 percent of my meals should be fairly phase 1ish with meat and veggies and then three meals a week eat something fun whether breakfast or lunch or dinner. I did this and it worked pretty good...it allowed me to not go hog wild on fun days and allowed me to enjoy meals out with friends more than once a week if I decided. Something to chew on. Hope you are all well. Like all of you I am really getting worn down with this weather. Really tired of being child. Hurry up spring.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #329  

eandc2006, thank you for that new idea to consider.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #330  

Your welcome. I really like the idea and have to say that having a fun day for me not only sets me up for eating as much as I want our desire but does set me up to view food as a reward. Given that I lost weight and plan to keep it off forever I also want to be normal again with being able to eat out (sensible of course) and learn balance. The three meals a week I believe is an approach that allows for fun but also healthy choices. She is also a believer in eating sweets in the morning. She always says if you want cake have it for breakfast.
Closed Thread