Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #286  

S/C/G: 201/ 135/130

Height: 5FT 4in

Default confused also

Ecdcslim, I'm having the same problem, it is so confusing.
I have been on maintenence for about a month and am having the same concerns. I need more structure and lunch and dinner menu's. I just do the veggies and protein for lunch and dinner, but I do the big breakfasts.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #287  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdcslim View Post
I know I'm going to struggle with P4 - it's sooo much easier if you have a detaled do and don't eat list but P4 is a bit too free wheeling for me! how do you navigate? I know I shouldn't mix fats a carbs - so does that mean no corn or sybeans on my salad or just no bread? How do you guys figure this out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu64 View Post
I have been on maintenence for about a month and am having the same concerns. I need more structure and lunch and dinner menu's. I just do the veggies and protein for lunch and dinner, but I do the big breakfasts.
You guys are doing great even if it doesn't feel that way yet!
I'm going to assume you want to follow p4 "by the rules" and also recognize that others on this board have modified the rules to fit their bodies.

The "rules" would say no corn on that salad unless you want the lunch meal to be the carb meal, then only a teaspoon of oil on that salad. Soybeans are a little grey area. Since it appears you are not vegetarian, and since it looks like you might want some clean rules, how about "no" on those at lunch/fat meal, too?

If you stick to combinations of single foods or foods that you prepare, it is pretty straightforward. Stick with what you know, which is a P3-type mixed breakfast, protein and vegetables for lunch and dinner. Both of those lists are expanded, but you still want to keep with those food groups as the backbone of those meals.

Next, you can add about 15g of fat at lunch/fat meal so this is one to two servings depending on what you like. Could be a couple of tablespoons of a rich salad dressing, an ounce or two of cheese, nuts, seeds. A visual of this is one to two portions about the size of your thumb.

For dinner, you add about 15 to 30g of carb -- if you want and if you can tolerate another serving of carbs. This can be fruit, rice, potato, starchy vegetables, pasta or bread. You need to severely limit the fat--1 teaspoon, tops. A carb serving is about what fits in your cupped hand.

If you want to start back eating prepared foods, I'm a bit at a loss. I think I would save those for fun day or limit them to one meal during the week.

Did either of you get a p4 tracking sheet from your coach or were you doing this without a coach? It kind of helps with the planning, even if you don't use it for more than a week or two.

Nearly everyone here as written that they were really a little scared of what to eat during the first few weeks/months, so what you are feeling is really normal.

Can you name one thing that is making you the most anxious? Maybe we can start with that.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #288  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I had my last weigh in on Saturday and there was a new coach that said, didn't you go to the phase 4 orientation? I'm like, what orientation? Seems they hold it the 1st Tuesday of the month so I missed the one in February and will miss March cause I'm going skiing. not happy! It would be so much more helpful to have a launch plan, you know?
Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #289  

I attached a phase 4 menu plan sample and a menu planner that I found on this site a long time ago. I hope they are helpful.
I never needed the 3 snacks per day, so I look at them as "up to 3" and not must have 3.
Someone took some notes from their p4 (I think) seminar. If I find them, I'll post them too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Phase 4 Sample Week Menu.pdf (65.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: doc Phase 4 Meal Planner.doc (93.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #290  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
You guys are doing great even if it doesn't feel that way yet!
I'm going to assume you want to follow p4 "by the rules" and also recognize that others on this board have modified the rules to fit their bodies.

Did either of you get a p4 tracking sheet from your coach or were you doing this without a coach? It kind of helps with the planning, even if you don't use it for more than a week or two.

Nearly everyone here as written that they were really a little scared of what to eat during the first few weeks/months, so what you are feeling is really normal.

Can you name one thing that is making you the most anxious? Maybe we can start with that.
Infoplease - first, thanks so much for this, really great info and very helpful. There are 2 things that are making me anxious - quantities and what qualifies as a 'carb' or 'fat.' Is cottage cheese a carb or a fat? Lite mozzarella sticks carb or fat? yellow squash - veg or carb? Do I assume all veg not on the IP list are carb rich? Then, how much can I have? i'm not a strict vegetarian, I eat fish, eggs but no animal meat - no chicken or beef or pork. It's a digestive issue for me, just can't digest them but I'm confident I can get the protein in. So if I normally have 2 cups of veg, I might want celery and cukes with my shake or bar at 4 pm - can I do that if I've had my 2 cups at lunch and want 2 cups at dinner? Can I have salmon or a tuna steak more than once or twice a week? It's that kinda stuff that's driving me bonkers. I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN BACK MY WEIGHT so I want to be as diligent as possible. Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #291  

ecdcslim,
The quantity of vegetables is no longer limited. I especially would not be worried about extra celery & cukes. ; )
I use a 2% cottage cheese as a protein. Typically a cup is a full serving and half a cup for a snack size serving.
Lite mozzarella sticks should be a protein & a fat; they are kind of tricky because of "lite". You could actually have a "real" mozzarella stick. I don't recall the carbs of the lite ones being more than the regular; are they?
I think you can have tuna and salmon more that twice a week. Even though they can be "fatty" fish, they don't count as fat per se and you can have them for dinner.
Yellow squash -- like summer squash, is really similar to zucchini and I would consider it the same. Yellow squash like acorn squash, I would consider more of a carb item. I don't remember where spaghetti squash falls on the spectrum.
Some of it IS experimentation and without a good framework it will drive us bonkers!
Maybe we can develop a kind of system like that used by the "alternatives" people to differentiate IP compatible packets?
Let me think on that one.
I do use a kind of rule of thumb for vegetarian protein sources, which is anything with 15 net carbs counts as a protein and a carb, so maybe that's a start.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #292  

Infoplease - thanks again, I know I just need a framework so this is a great start. Nutirtionally, spaghetti and summer squashes are the same. Butternut and acorn are very close - 13 g carbs, 1 gr protein, 60 cals a cup. Lite mozzarella sticks have no carbs, 2.5 g Fat adn 6 g protein so I think you're onto a brilliant idea, to start building a list. I'll share what I have. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #293  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Not a maintainer yet, but I read to learn from all you veterans.

ecdslim: There's a learning curve but wanted to point out...spaghetti squash is 42 calories per cup, 10 carbs and 2 grams of fiber = 8 net carbs. Zucchini is 33 calories per cup, 7 carbs and 3 grams of fiber = 4 net carbs.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 02-18-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #294  

Infoplease- thank you so much, this will really help me with the food. Carbs, fats, when and where. You are awesome. I couldn't get this stuff out of my coach.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #295  

ecdcslim: I didn't get an orientation either. I guess it just depends on where you live. I live in Washington State.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #296  

Quote:
ecdcslim: I didn't get an orientation either. I guess it just depends on where you live. I live in Washington State.
I'm in the DC metro area. So I'm trying to eat 'normally' which for me now means Phase 3 breakfast, lunch is mostly P1 veggies and romaine salad with dressing, a sprinkle of cheese, tuna and egg (altho today, they served grilled salmon and green beans, OMG YUMMY), a bar or shake for 4 pm snack and grilled fish, roasted veggies that now include sweet potatoes and squash. I have to admit, I want a tiny piece of chocolate so I have that and I find 1 piece (1 Lindt ball, 1 square of 70% cocoa, etc) does the trick. Some nights I just don't want the carbs, I've gotten use to eating roasted asparagus and cauliflower and after working all day, an hour commute home, I just want to roast some fish and veggies. DH travels, so he's either not home during the week or he's been working all day from the home office so neither one of us wants to expend a lot of energy on dinner. We use to drink a bottle of wine between the 2 of us for dinner 2-3 times a week, those days are gone for me now. I might have a glass instead of the chocolate but it hasn't been appealing to me so far. How are you doing?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #297  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Ecdslim: My son lives in Fairfax. You have my sympathies with that hour long commute. ( and your weather) Your eating plan sounds healthy. I have also cut back on the wine that I used to enjoy to a more moderate consumption. I also like chocolate covered almonds for a snack.

Lulu: I live near you in WW. I did not get a P4 orientation either but I continued to see my coach quite frequently in P4.

Infoplease: your information on the phases is so helpful and provides a clear framework for all of us!

Well. I am heading to two years and 5 months of maintenance. As time goes by I am feeling more and more confident that this lifestyle change is here to stay.

Joysh: Thinking of you and hope you are doing well.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #298  

S/C/G: 232.6/213.2/185

I am starting my second week of phase 3 and have managed to lose a bit during phasing off P1 ( was on P1 for 7 months) I am also having a very hard time understanding food categories, ie what is fat what is carb and how to combine or not combine. Also was looking for advice for some evening snacks, so these recent posts have been very helpful, although I still don't feel I grasp the concept. Will stay posted to learn more!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #299  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default easier with no sugar on cheat days

I decided to modify my cheat day and just choose to have extra food if I wanted, but nothing sweetened with sugar or otherwise (besides usual shake & Mio). Last week I got into trouble with IP bars, so even those things can be triggering! I feel much better now. I haven't felt deprived so far and love not having to do the day-after compensation. Also my sweet tooth is not calling out.

My treat was cubes of butternut squash roasted with coconut oil, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Extra chicken, and a spoonful of roasted pistachio oil. It helped to stick to whatever was around rather than go grocery shopping with cheat day in mind.

Last edited by mars735; 02-23-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #300  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

[QUOTE=Maile;4949489]Ecdslim:

Well. I am heading to two years and 5 months of maintenance. As time goes by I am feeling more and more confident that this lifestyle change is here to stay.

Congratulations on doing well on maintenance! It is encouraging for those of us that will be on it soon. I am on Phase 2 and in a week will start Phase 3 for two weeks. I appreciate all the comments here as they are so helpful and are helping me prepare for Phase 4!
Closed Thread