Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #16  
support, not criticism

S/C/G: 219/187.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I can't believe it is October 1st, it was just September 1st a day or so ago!!!

Feeling a little headachy this morning but I'm pretty sure it's from the dinner we had last night. It was an internet IP recipe but it had way too much sodium (from soy sauce). I was kind of worried about that but after it was all mixed up and marinated, it was kind of too late. Anywho, I definitely drank enough water last night but apparently it was not enough to combat all that sodium. Makes me want to kick myself!!

So, today is time to get back on track. I think I need to track my meals more because I keep feeling like I am slipping even though I follow the IP protocol. I think that it's just become second nature and easy so it feels like I am slipping. If I enter it all into MFP, that should reassure me that I am OP. I need that accountability to prevent slipping.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #17  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Default OH!!! One more thing...

Has anyone lost an unusual amount of lean muscle mass? I know some have mentioned that the body scan thingy can be unreliable. But I don't understand how just walking the dog each morning can contribute to a 12lb lean muscle mass loss. Especially when so many others are working out on Phase 1? Just curious.

TTFN!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 269/259/170

Height: 5'7

Morning all!

Question for you. I'm on day 8 and kind of dragging. Have a new baby and have to be fairly physical and very personable at work. Will extra coffee (black) and unsweetened iced tea derail me? Feel like I need the extra caffeine. I make sure to drink extra water. Any thoughts?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliExpat View Post
Has anyone lost an unusual amount of lean muscle mass? I know some have mentioned that the body scan thingy can be unreliable. But I don't understand how just walking the dog each morning can contribute to a 12lb lean muscle mass loss. Especially when so many others are working out on Phase 1? Just curious.

TTFN!!!
For the past two months I have been walking everyday for 30 minutes at 2-3 mph, and I have gained 1 lb of muscle according to the scale. I really don't think you have lost 12 lbs of muscle by walking the dog.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #20  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaliaq View Post
Morning all!

Question for you. I'm on day 8 and kind of dragging. Have a new baby and have to be fairly physical and very personable at work. Will extra coffee (black) and unsweetened iced tea derail me? Feel like I need the extra caffeine. I make sure to drink extra water. Any thoughts?
I have found that a little extra protein perks me up. When I felt like that I had a hard boiled egg with a little sea salt sprinkled on it. I would just reduce my dinner protein slightly when I did that. If I had been very active I would not reduce the dinner protein. Some folks will keep a bar with them and nibble a bite here and there to keep up their energy and then count that bar as their snack.

Hope this helps.

Almost forgot....the problem with adding caffeine is that you have to increase your water each time you drink a cup of coffee. It won't derail you, but then you need to keep drinking more water, and keep running to the bathroom. For some, caffeine can increase your need to go as well. I have that problem with a spastic bladder.

Last edited by dak1lls; 10-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #21  

Height: 5'4"

Argh - total first world problem - I bought some new black flats at Wal-Mart last night (a whole $8!) because my other ones were getting a little worn and it appears my shoe size has changed!!! I wondered why the ones I bought a couple of weeks ago were giving me blisters - I never get blisters - but it's probably because they're too big and were flopping around.

Oh well, it looks like shoe shopping may be in my future

Jo
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #22  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning all. My WI is this morning and I am scared/nervous. I have been dealing with TOM and Big C and am pretty close to my 1st goal of 155. I would *love* to see the goal reached this morning (even though I am going to be continuing on a bit longer (8-10 more pounds), but am doubtful and may need a few hugs afterwards. Will keep you all posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LittleStar View Post
I'm going to try and make the pumpkin spice zucchini muffins after work tonight. Sounds so good!
Hope they come out great! I might have some this evening too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caressme View Post
Thank goodness for this forum - had my W7 WI and I'm +0.9. the good thing is i kno exactly why - I didnt eat all my meals for two days due to moving .. so this week I'll be back to normal and will keep dropping the pounds..
Argh, so frustrating but I am always inspired by your positive attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMomster View Post
... it appears my shoe size has changed!!!
Jo
I have noticed the same. I think my feet are smaller now, possibly because less pressure on the feet so they aren't so flat?

Last edited by sarita75; 10-01-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Turning 60 in April

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
I hope by Spring to break out of my 'fat cocoon' for good, and show the world a whole new me! The one that's been there all along, but hidden, for all these years! I feel so hopeful, and just know it's going to happen.....and it makes me happy
slownsteady - I am right there with you as I am aiming for my 60th on 29 April, determined to also be out of my "cocoon" as well. I have a bit further to go than you but hope that we both make it looking svelte and healthy!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/155/143

Height: 5'6

Day 1 of the government shutdown and I don't have to go to work! I am also not guaranteed to get a full paycheck this month. But for this first day, I'm going to enjoy the time to prep some meal plans, clean out my fridge and get ready for a totally OP week.

I think I must be out of ketosis because yesterday I was starving. I made Lisa's chili to fill me up. I admit I fell of the wagon slightly after I reached goal at my last WI. I thought eating some nuts would be less bad than cheating on carbs. But I do not feel like I'm in ketosis, so I must have eaten too many! I just want to take off a few more pounds so I will have some wiggle room to work with when I phase off. I can hang in there for a little bit longer!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 240/160/165

Height: 5'5

Good morning everyone, I have my WI tonight and plan on starting phase 2 tomorrow, excited to start phasing off and starting the next journey of the Ideal Protein Diet!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misstiff View Post
Caressme: can't wait to see what next week holds, glad you knew why. That helps when you see a gain on the scale.

1littlestarumpkin zucchini muffins sound awesome.... Now to find the recipe
Go to recipe thread #4. Make the zucchini muffin recipe (maybe with vanilla pudding?) and add pumpkin pie spice to taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakofday71 View Post
I have a question for those who have gone through mini phase offs or are in phase 3, do/did any of you feel overall yucky five days into phase 3? I am doing the meal replacements for breakfasts on the work days and having the big breakfasts on the weekends.... But have been feeling cruddy for the past few days. Not sure if it is due to change in phases, or if I am fighting off a bug....
I felt fine. Others I've watched transition to P3 were fine (albeit a little full from breakfast, but you're using Ideal Complete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssEnKay View Post
Bad News: I am hoping their scale is broken, it said I weight 9lbs more than the one at my dr's office does!
It is rare of 2 scales to be calibrated the exact same. For official WIs, always use the SAME scale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantis View Post
Day 2...very difficult! Had protein for breakfast, I have 2 cups of raw veggies with about 2 cups lettuce waiting along with another drink. I can't concentrate on anything!! Is this normal? Al I can think about is food and can I do it??
It takes a few days for Ketosis to kick in. Then you won't want to eat your arm anymore.

Quote:
As someone mentioned yesterday, those bioimedence scales are notoriously inaccurate. If you are following IP, it preserves lean tissue (remember lean tissue isn't just muscle...it is everything in your body except fat, including blood, bones, muscle, tendons, etc).

Are you using 4 packets/day? I see your weight is above 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaliaq View Post
Morning all!

This is very normal as we adjust to the plan. Not everyone gets the energy burst.
If you're pretty physical you might want to add an extra packet (one of the 80 calorie ones) or a couple of egg whites. Stay away from extra caffeine, it is dehydrating & you have to drink more water.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #27  
IP Start Date 9/30/13

S/C/G: 192.4/192.4/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi All. I'm on my second day, and last night was ****. I got almost no sleep with a terrible headache and actually....low back aches, which I didn't have a problem with at all my first time on IP. Anyone else have this? It will not deter me, though
Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #28  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Diet pop make us fat ... and by implication the artificial sweeteners it contains... an interesting article

Diet Soda and Diet Drinks Make You Fat and Cause Type 2 Diabetes

Diet soda makes people fat? Really? How does that happen?

If losing weight were all about the calories, then consuming diet drinks would seem like a good idea. That's certainly what Coca-Cola wants us to believe in their new ad highlighting their efforts to fight obesity. They proudly promote the fact that they have 180 low- or no-calorie drinks and that they cut sugared drinks in schools by 90 percent.

Is that a good thing? In fact, it may be worse than having us all drink regular Coke (and the other food giants making diet drinks also push the same propaganda).

A new 14-year study of 66,118 women (supported by many other previous studies) found that the opposite seems to be true. Diet drinks may be worse than sugar-sweetened drinks, which are worse than fruit juices (but only fresh-squeezed fruit juices).

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, discovered some frightening facts that should make us all swear off diet drinks and products.

Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.

Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.

The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.

You might say that people who are overweight and just about to get diabetes drink more diet soda, but they scientifically controlled for body weight. And they found the artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight!

This and other research shows how diet sodas make people fat and sick.

And that diet drinks may be even worse than regular sugar-sweetened sodas! How does that happen?

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, activating our genetically-programmed preference for sweet taste more than any other substance.

They trick your metabolism into thinking sugar is on its way. This causes your body to pump out insulin, the fat storage hormone, which lays down more belly fat.

It also confuses and slows your metabolism down, so you burn fewer calories every day.

It makes you hungrier and crave even more sugar and starchy carbs like bread and pasta.

In animal studies, the rats that consumed artificial sweeteners ate more, their metabolism slowed, and they put on 14 percent more body fat in just two weeks -- even eating fewer calories.

In population studies, there was a 200 percent increased risk of obesity in diet soda drinkers.

Bottom line: There is no free ride. Diet drinks are not good substitutes for sugar-sweetened drinks. They increase cravings, weight gain, and Type 2 diabetes. And they are addictive.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #29  

Quote:
Good Morning All!!

Feeling a bit better than yesterday. 20lbs in 5 weeks is pretty darn good so I can't complain.

I tried the crispy cereal today and I added too much water!!!! Hopefully it will be better tomorrow, lol.

Have a great day Lovelies!!!
Hi AliExpat - We have similar stats - I'll be watching your progress and be inspired. I have set a goal to get there in one year. I know we can do it!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #30  
Started IP - 8/27/13

S/C/G: 265/ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
As someone mentioned yesterday, those bioimedence scales are notoriously inaccurate. If you are following IP, it preserves lean tissue (remember lean tissue isn't just muscle...it is everything in your body except fat, including blood, bones, muscle, tendons, etc).

Are you using 4 packets/day? I see your weight is above 200.
Hola Lisa!!! No I've been on 3 since I started the plan. My coach mentioned that I may need to add a 4th packet if I'm hungry. In the 5 weeks that I've been on IP I've only had a 4th packet twice (and not without guilt, lol).
Closed Thread