Old 04-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #16  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Wow, Scorbett, I wish I had the aptitude to figure all this out and process it the way you do. Thanks for that explanation. I bet all the kids wanted to sit next to you in school!
LOL my husband is a type 1 diabetic so I had to learn a lot of this stuff to help manage his diabetes. I also like to read and learn. A LOT.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #17  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYa1 View Post
animallover -

The other thing you may want to try are Rutabaga "fries." I was reluctant to try them; however, I'm addicted now. Just peel, slice them into french fry size pieces and toss with whatever you'd like. Salt, pepper, a little olive oil, cayenne, etc. Then place in the oven (425 degrees) for 35-45 mins. They are divine (I use sugar-free ketchup, but I know WF has a ketchup, too) and I realized it replaced my need for "starchy" type foods.
Thanks! Rutabaga is my new favorite vegetable! I have to limit myself because I could eat them every day I've loved them cubed and roasted in the oven, I haven't actually tried them as fries though. I will soon though!!

Last edited by animallover; 04-24-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I saw an article in "The Guardian" Science section a couple of weeks ago that requested a recalculation of calories stated on food products. Their argument was that fiber is not counted, but actually provides calories. So, it indeed seems that companies use fiber count to their advantage.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...alorie-content

Fiber provides calories only to animals that can digest it. Humans cannot. It does not cause insulin spikes in humans, because none of carbohydrates from fiber can be utilized. Fiber leaves our bodies fully intact calorically because our bodies can't break it down.

For cows, fiber calories count. For humans they do not. In the USA manufacturer's are allowed to subtract fiber calories for this reason, but many, if not most don't. Sadly, the only way to know whether or not the fiber calories are included in the label's total is to recheck the label math. Since the counts can be rounded up or down, this doesn't always help.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #19  

I listened to a great podcast recently on how different mammals ( including us) use different parts of food differently.
Grasses & fiber that would just pass through our system Undigested is turned into fatty acids in cows and gorillas (differently)
It was fascinating and rally supported low carb or paleo/primal eating
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I have never used this bread but someone posted this link -- you'll see the guy uses the Julian bread to scrub walls, toilets etc. then just wrings it out like a sponge and it's in perfect shape - never crumbles! So I think that makes it a definite NO -- there's no carbs because it isn't food. This video is worth a look. You won't believe what people are eating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDfF4hXfj4
Thanks for reposting that, I saw it before and everytime someone asks about Julian bread I think about it. It is actually quite funny.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #21  
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Biscuits

I made IP biscuits this morning with the IP Oatmeal.

2 packets of IP Oatmeal
1 -2 oz. of water
1 lg egg white
1 tsp. of baking powder
(Seasonings of your choice)

I beat the egg white, stir in the oatmeal and baking powder, slowly add water until its slightly scoopable, not runny.. I made 8 biscuits on a greased cookie sheet and baked at 400 degrees for about 10 min or golden..

You can only have 4 of the 8 biscuits a day for your restricted food.. but they turned out great! I am having them with my Big Mac in a bowl tonight...

FrostyBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBobber View Post
I made IP biscuits this morning with the IP Oatmeal.

2 packets of IP Oatmeal
1 -2 oz. of water
1 lg egg white
1 tsp. of baking powder
(Seasonings of your choice)

I beat the egg white, stir in the oatmeal and baking powder, slowly add water until its slightly scoopable, not runny.. I made 8 biscuits on a greased cookie sheet and baked at 400 degrees for about 10 min or golden..

You can only have 4 of the 8 biscuits a day for your restricted food.. but they turned out great! I am having them with my Big Mac in a bowl tonight...

I will try this with the ProtiDiet Oatmeal - it's maple flavored and UNRESTRICTED so might make a nice breakfast biscuit!! (Probably good with their Apple Cinnamon oatmeal too!)
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote