Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #31  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
This was actually a head-scratcher from another thread. On the protocol sheet that is posted in the Newbie thread (from June 2012), rutabaga is listed as a Selected veggie. BUUUUT Swede is listed as an Occasional veggie. Rutabaga and Swede are the same thing, literally. A rutabaga is a Swedish (or Swede) turnip.

I think this is one where you just have to use your own judgement. If you find that it doesn't affect your losses to have them often, go for it. If you find you're sensitive to the higher carbs, use them as an occasional.
Thx scorbett - I only eat about 1 cup of them twice a week anyway, but I'd hate to accidentally mislead someone else.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 265.2/240.8/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
This was actually a head-scratcher from another thread. On the protocol sheet that is posted in the Newbie thread (from June 2012), rutabaga is listed as a Selected veggie. BUUUUT Swede is listed as an Occasional veggie. Rutabaga and Swede are the same thing, literally. A rutabaga is a Swedish (or Swede) turnip.

I think this is one where you just have to use your own judgement. If you find that it doesn't affect your losses to have them often, go for it. If you find you're sensitive to the higher carbs, use them as an occasional.
I started on 1/8/13 for the first time and this is what my sheet says too.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #33  

Default WI day

LOL
My crazy wii fit told me last nite I weighed 185.2 and this morning it said 178.4. I was pretty sure I hadn't entered onderland and COMPLETELY SKIPPED the 190s! (and then lost 6.8 lbs overnite!). Tonite I'm moving it to another room with a hard floor, instead of carpet.

So, my (MUCH MORE REALISTIC) WI today: - 4.2, which is pretty in-line with my typical weight losses over a 2+week period (this was 17 days). Best yet...a whopping 5". Inches have been slower to come off from measured areas for me so this feels like a whoosh!

NSV: I have NEVER EVER in my life returned from vacation SMALLER than I left! Vacation was always a sure weight GAIN!

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-10-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Maybe I have an outdated sheet? Sorry if I mislead anyone, as on my sheet it's listed as an Occasional. Like you, I generally just use it (or turnip for that matter) when I'm cooking pork loin chops or roasts, then I like to put them in with it. I'd find it difficult to eat more than 1 cup at a time too. Plus, they're pretty carbie.
I just researched it a bit more, and it appears that rutabaga was moved from the "Occasional" list to the "Select" list in a 2011 mid-year revision to the Phase 1 sheet. It looks like there are still several internet copies of and links to the older Phase 1 sheet floating around, hence the confusion. I also was looking at an old copy where it was listed as "occassional" but I thought I had read here it was technically unrestricted, although many folks still said they would only do it occasionally because of the carb count. If you follow the current updated Phase 1 sheet, though, is indeed a select (up to 4 cups daily allowed) veggie.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
LOL
My crazy wii fit told me last nite I weighed 185.2 and this morning it said 178.4. I was pretty sure I hadn't entered onderland and COMPLETELY SKIPPED the 190s! (and then lost 6.8 lbs overnite!). Tonite I'm moving it to another room with a hard floor, instead of carpet.

So, my (MUCH MORE REALISTIC) WI today: - 4.2, which is pretty in-line with my typical weight losses over a 2+week period (this was 17 days). Best yet...a whopping 5". Inches have been slower to come off from measured areas for me so this feels like a whoosh!

NSV: I have NEVER EVER in my life returned from vacation SMALLER than I left! Vacation was always a sure weight GAIN!
Great job!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #36  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
I just researched it a bit more, and it appears that rutabaga was moved from the "Occasional" list to the "Select" list in a 2011 mid-year revision to the Phase 1 sheet. It looks like there are still several internet copies of and links to the older Phase 1 sheet floating around, hence the confusion. I also was looking at an old copy where it was listed as "occassional" but I thought I had read here it was technically unrestricted, although many folks still said they would only do it occasionally because of the carb count. If you follow the current updated Phase 1 sheet, though, is indeed a select (up to 4 cups daily allowed) veggie.
Thanks Nolawhodatchick.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Nolawhodatchick - Awesome reminder of just how much fat is in a pound!

RareBird - To quote multiple people, click on the double quote icon in the lower right hand corner of each person's quote. It should turn red. When you're all done selecting people's quotes, hit the main post reply button and that should do it for you.

Breezy414 - Hang in there. When I first started, I told myself I would give it 100% for a month and see what happened. That was October, and I haven't looked back. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined being this close to my goal this fast. YOU CAN DO IT! Oh, and stay away from the Ketone strips, they are VERY innacurate. A lot of times, they give false negatives on this diet due to the large amounts of water we drink. They will drive you crazy. Just follow the sheet and don't stress!

Lisa - AWESOME LOSS! You are rocking this diet! I LOVE your NSV too. Who can say they came back from vacation smaller....LISA CAN!

Last edited by sahmmommy2; 01-10-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Good Day Peeps,

A nice break in upstate NY today, a little warmer and a little sunshine. I will take it!

Love that visual "fat", I will have to print one out. Have a wonderful day
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #39  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Happy Thursday, everyone! I've been thinking today about the fact that (theoretically, at least) I'm about halfway along on my weight loss. That said, my WI numbers yesterday still show that I have a long way to go, IMO, in regard to fat percentage. Although it's come down a bit, it's not even close to where I'd like it to be. For those of you who have tracked your fat percentage as well as your weight loss, did they both come down at about the same rate? I'm wondering whether I'll suddenly start losing more fat, or if perhaps I have my weight goal too high ... Or if I just need to start exercising.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #40  

Quote:
Rutabaga is on the select list (June 2012) but swede is on occasional. THAT is the head-scratcher b/c they are the SAME THING! I'm emailing my coach on this one.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Rutabaga is on the select list (June 2012) but swede is on occasional. THAT is the head-scratcher b/c they are the SAME THING! I'm emailing my coach on this one.
I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away! lol Let us know what she says.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Happy Thursday, everyone! I've been thinking today about the fact that (theoretically, at least) I'm about halfway along on my weight loss. That said, my WI numbers yesterday still show that I have a long way to go, IMO, in regard to fat percentage. Although it's come down a bit, it's not even close to where I'd like it to be. For those of you who have tracked your fat percentage as well as your weight loss, did they both come down at about the same rate? I'm wondering whether I'll suddenly start losing more fat, or if perhaps I have my weight goal too high ... Or if I just need to start exercising.
Get in your walks or other gentle exercise. Trust the protocol. Fat % will change more in maintenance when you can increase the power of workouts & build muscle. Baby steps!

Quote:
I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnwhite58 View Post
I have to ask, what is a ketone strip?
I know one person called them a good motivator but I'd like to warn you. If you're drinking all of your water, ketones register very lightly (or not at all) and many IPers find them MORE frustrating than helpful b/c they think they're not in ketosis when they are! We flush a lot of ketones b/c of all the water we drink and they don't register on the strips.
If you follow the sheet 100%, you don't need strips. You'll be in ketosis and your weekly weigh-ins will tell the story

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-10-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Quote:

Because we don't exercise vigorously, your fat will be a little behind and remeber too (don't get mad at me) the way that fat is measured is very inaccurate, the only "true" fat measurement is with H20 submersion. I know people who are very fit at 150 lbs and others who are "fatty", so don't lose sleep over the "fat %"
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #44  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Quote:

The fat percentage on those body composition scales are not 100% accurate, so keep that in mind when you see large swings in %body fat.

Quote:
I suppose if you like them, then call them a rutabaga and eat them. If you are concerned, however, about the carbs, or don't like them, then call the a Swede and stay away! lol Let us know what she says.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #45  
Hard Working Newbie

S/C/G: 377/251/180

Happy Thursday,

I am pretending sensory deprivation today. Everyone around me is feasting on pasta and garlic bread. Decent leftover Jicama Skillet for me, but I an unreasonably annoyed with the food around me.

Does anyone see a counselor or therapist aside from their coach? I know it is a personal question so feel free to message me privately if this is something we can connect about.

Stay strong and enjoy your day!

~Jenni
Closed Thread