3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html)

dak1lls 08-06-2013 11:34 PM

Just wanted to mention the Protidiet Peanut Surprise bar. I had my first one tonight and it was really good. It was similar to IP's Peanut Butter Crunch bar, which I loved, but I think this one was better!

I made the Protidiet Blueberry Pancake this morning and spritzed with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and used the WF Maple Syrup. It smelled really good while cooking. It tasted, ok. The texture was heavier than a regular pancake. I am thinking I would like it to be fluffier or use it in a muffin recipe rather than as a pancake in the future. I will have to check the recipe threads for the muffin recipe or other advice on fluffier options.

Balanced Life 08-07-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sekc14 (Post 4810206)
Does anyone, who has successfully lost on Alternatives, know their avg daily carb count?

I lost 65 lbs on IP in 6 months, its a great diet. However, I believe whey protein caused or enhanced the all over body pain and gave me blackheads that went away after I got off the IP products. I have decided to avoid milk protein, which means I can't do the alternates most people use. I'm trying Vega One which is a protein shake with the daily vitamins, antioxidants, omega 3, probiotics, etc. The problem is the carb count, 5 Net carbs but, then I add veggie and a small amount of fruit. The calorie intake is the same as IP but carbs are higher.

I think that someone else can speak to the nutrition part of Vega One. I only occasionally use the vanilla chai as the others are too high in carb in my opinion. However, the Vega Sport Vanilla Performance Protein has a better profile and is delicious!

Dancinintherain 08-07-2013 10:24 AM

Products that have worked well for me for weight loss recently:

Health Smart Dill Pickle Protein Krinkles.
ProtiDiet Honey Nut Soy Cereal
PrtiDiet Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal
ProtiDiet Pomegranite Rasp. crisp Bar
Syntrax Pink Grapefruit Nectar
weight Loss Systems Chocolate chip w Marshmello, and Creamy Cheesecake pudding.

Very happy to see good weight loss with my first dive into alternative products.

Strongisthenewskinny 08-07-2013 01:03 PM

I'm currently a week in on restarting IP. I just recently learned about alternatives but I am SO confused!! How do I know what items can be used without altering my weight loss? :?:

Thanks!

Suchawittygal 08-07-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongisthenewskinny (Post 4810809)
I'm currently a week in on restarting IP. I just recently learned about alternatives but I am SO confused!! How do I know what items can be used without altering my weight loss? :?:

Thanks!

This is what I go by:
The basic guidelines for alternative products that match up with IP are:

-under 200 calories
-less than 30% calories from fat
-carbs within the restricted/unrestricted guidelines
8g or less net carbs = unrestricted
9g-16g net carbs = restricted
17g net carbs = super restricted (once or twice per week only)
more than 17g net carbs is too many to be compatible with p1
-at least 12-15g protein per serving

Restricted Items Discussion:
9g NET carbs or more is restricted (17g net carbs or more is super-restricted, or twice per week only) You subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs to get net carbs.

If the carbs are low but the fat is more than 30% of the total calories (take calories from fat and multiply by 3, then see if it's more or less than the total calories) - that would make it a restricted item. It's really only the case for the wafers and soy nuts, as far as I've seen. Now, if the fat calories are more than 30% total calories AND the carbs are enough to make it restricted, that is a product I would avoid completely.

Always check the carbs first for restricted vs unrestricted, that's going to be the deciding factor 90% of the time.

Strongisthenewskinny 08-07-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suchawittygal (Post 4810818)
This is what I go by:
The basic guidelines for alternative products that match up with IP are:

-under 200 calories
-less than 30% calories from fat
-carbs within the restricted/unrestricted guidelines
8g or less net carbs = unrestricted
9g-16g net carbs = restricted
17g net carbs = super restricted (once or twice per week only)
more than 17g net carbs is too many to be compatible with p1
-at least 12-15g protein per serving

Restricted Items Discussion:
9g NET carbs or more is restricted (17g net carbs or more is super-restricted, or twice per week only) You subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs to get net carbs.

If the carbs are low but the fat is more than 30% of the total calories (take calories from fat and multiply by 3, then see if it's more or less than the total calories) - that would make it a restricted item. It's really only the case for the wafers and soy nuts, as far as I've seen. Now, if the fat calories are more than 30% total calories AND the carbs are enough to make it restricted, that is a product I would avoid completely.

Always check the carbs first for restricted vs unrestricted, that's going to be the deciding factor 90% of the time.

Perfect, thank you for the super quick reply! I've been browsing through this post.. Do you have any favorite alternatives that your using? Does using alternatives mess with the weight loss at all?

shayb 08-07-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongisthenewskinny (Post 4810834)
Do you have any favorite alternatives that your using? Does using alternatives mess with the weight loss at all?

I've lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks using strictly alternatives.

For breakfast I eat a homemade "egg cup" which consists of three tblsp of egg whites, 1.25 ounces of turkey sausage and 1 tblsp of Thompson 90% protein powder. The profile is 110 calories, 0 carbs and 20 grams of protein.

For lunch i eat 2-4 ounces of lean protein and two cups of veggies. I will also supplement with Premier Protein Vanilla Protein Shakes. 160 calories, 3 gms carbs, 30 gms of protein.

For dinner its another 4-6 ounces of lean protein and two cups of veggies. I drink one-two cups of hot tea with stevia.

I also use NNW protein powder in the cinnamon bun and chocolate peanut butter flavors. They are to die for. I mix 1 packet of Starbucks VIA, 8 ounces of water and one scoop of protein powder for 108 calories, 1 gm of carbs and 22 gms of protein.

This works for me and I will continue with these products until I stop losing weight!

sekc14 08-07-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayb (Post 4810878)
I've lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks using strictly alternatives.

For breakfast I eat a homemade "egg cup" which consists of three tblsp of egg whites, 1.25 ounces of turkey sausage and 1 tblsp of Thompson 90% protein powder. The profile is 110 calories, 0 carbs and 20 grams of protein.

For lunch i eat 2-4 ounces of lean protein and two cups of veggies. I will also supplement with Premier Protein Vanilla Protein Shakes. 160 calories, 3 gms carbs, 30 gms of protein.

For dinner its another 4-6 ounces of lean protein and two cups of veggies. I drink one-two cups of hot tea with stevia.

I also use NNW protein powder in the cinnamon bun and chocolate peanut butter flavors. They are to die for. I mix 1 packet of Starbucks VIA, 8 ounces of water and one scoop of protein powder for 108 calories, 1 gm of carbs and 22 gms of protein.

This works for me and I will continue with these products until I stop losing weight!

Yay! That's awesome and thanks for letting us in on your alternative plan that works!! This is great!

sekc14 08-07-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanced Life (Post 4810519)
I think that someone else can speak to the nutrition part of Vega One. I only occasionally use the vanilla chai as the others are too high in carb in my opinion. However, the Vega Sport Vanilla Performance Protein has a better profile and is delicious!

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the tip on vega sport vanilla. However, I looked up the nutritional content and compared. The net carbs are the same but Vega One has 50% of RDV and nutrients. I prefer getting supplements in my shake, that way I won't forget as I often did when I went back to IP after a hiatus.

bimnd113 08-07-2013 07:53 PM

Looks like Proti-Thin has a chocolate RTD that is extremely close to IP:

https://www.nashuanutrition.com/stor...ate-6-box.html

jmanovich 08-08-2013 12:27 AM

Today from Wal-Mart I purchased:

Iso Femme bars
Atkins Advantage chocolate delight RTD shakes
Pure Protein bars

As far as I can remember reading...these are all compatible, correct? Anyone else used these brands?

JLUS 08-08-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmanovich (Post 4811244)
Today from Wal-Mart I purchased:

Iso Femme bars
Atkins Advantage chocolate delight RTD shakes
Pure Protein bars

As far as I can remember reading...these are all compatible, correct? Anyone else used these brands?

Atkins shakes are too high in fat for IP standards. You need to keep the calories from fat at/below 30% (multiply cals from fat x 3. If it is less than total calories you should be fine.) Atkins shakes run about 50% cal from fat

ISO Femme bars... I had a hard time finding any nutrition labels on line. The one I did find showed cals from fat hovering just over 30% and 17 carbs putting it at the high end of very restricted.

SEE POST 321 above in this thread for great guidelines for selecting alternatives. I carry a copy in my wallet. I would ADD to it a note that it is best to keep calories for unrestricted at/below 160; the 200 cals shown would push a product more into the restricted level.

dak1lls 08-08-2013 12:43 PM

I tried the Health Smart Cinnamon Cereal this morning with a splash of vanilla RTD. I really liked it for a change from my morning frappe. Felt like a "normal" breakfast and was nice & crunchy. Reminded me of Cheerios.

I looked up the ISO-Femme Bars as well and only found the one. I think it was 37.5% fat calories. I think I will avoid those.... :(

coloradogirl 08-08-2013 02:13 PM

I regularly use Chocolate LIGHT Muscle Milk RTD's instead of IP's Chocolate Drink. I drink it mixed with coffee for breakfast every morning. I usually stretch it out across a few! ;)

dak1lls 08-08-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradogirl (Post 4811731)
I regularly use Chocolate LIGHT Muscle Milk RTD's instead of IP's Chocolate Drink. I drink it mixed with coffee for breakfast every morning. I usually stretch it out across a few! ;)

I happily stumbled upon these when DH and I stopped for lunch at Subway. I told him I would still need my drink when we got home, so he walked over to the attached convenience store, when we finished eating. He pulled out Muscle Milk Light, and we checked the stats. Luckily it was a-ok and tasted yummy too! Now have a pack in the fridge. I never would have thought the convenience sore would have protein drinks!