3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/270731-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-a.html)

kaplods 09-13-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4839394)
I've lost a lot of weight following the rules...even the stupid ones.
I did a pretty crappy job of making them up as I went along and trying to stay on a plan. Lots of justifying was happening.

I'm sticking to the rules. They work for me.

Which of course means using absolutely no alternative products, but if a person is going to use alternative products, either because they want to or have to, they have no choice but to judge their choice of alternatives according to the nutrient profile and whether or not they contain similar ingredients to IP products.

If soy in itself were banned for a reason other than it's unsuitability as a vegetable or dinner protein, it would seem quite odd that it's used in so many IP products.

Since many Medifast, Optifast and Ideal Protein packets meet The Simple Diet guidelines, I often read and post in all four forums, though I usually try to be careful to only post in the Alternative threads of the plans i'm not following, where the rules need to be flexible.

I did choose The Simple diet, because I could make it more like Ideal Protein without breaking any Simple Diet Rules. Unfortunately, The Simple Diet does not have a very strong following on 3FC yet.

Too bad there isn't a more multi-plan-inclusive or plan neutral spot to post packet substitutes and meal replacement recipes and members of any meal replacement plan could judge suggestions according to their own plan.

I thought the Alternative thread fit the bill closely enough, but I see it's not as good a fit as I had thought.

gazelle 09-14-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 4839438)
Which of course means using absolutely no alternative products, but if a person is going to use alternative products, either because they want to or have to, they have no choice but to judge their choice of alternatives according to the nutrient profile and whether or not they contain similar ingredients to IP products.

If soy in itself were banned for a reason other than it's unsuitability as a vegetable or dinner protein, it would seem quite odd that it's used in so many IP products.

Since many Medifast, Optifast and Ideal Protein packets meet The Simple Diet guidelines, I often read and post in all four forums, though I usually try to be careful to only post in the Alternative threads of the plans i'm not following, where the rules need to be flexible.

I did choose The Simple diet, because I could make it more like Ideal Protein without breaking any Simple Diet Rules. Unfortunately, The Simple Diet does not have a very strong following on 3FC yet.

Too bad there isn't a more multi-plan-inclusive or plan neutral spot to post packet substitutes and meal replacement recipes and members of any meal replacement plan could judge suggestions according to their own plan.

I thought the Alternative thread fit the bill closely enough, but I see it's not as good a fit as I had thought.

I personally enjoy reading the alternative thread, especially for different ideas about how to follow the basic IP plan while adapting it with alternative products. What works about the IP plan is the basic low calorie, low fat and moderate protein nature of the program. I appreciate your thought process and the information you have given us about alternative ways to follow the program. Thanks for your input!:smug:

IdealProteinNewbie 09-14-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4839394)
I've lost a lot of weight following the rules...even the stupid ones.
I did a pretty crappy job of making them up as I went along and trying to stay on a plan. Lots of justifying was happening.

I'm sticking to the rules. They work for me.

THIS!

kaplods 09-14-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazelle (Post 4839764)
I personally enjoy reading the alternative thread, especially for different ideas about how to follow the basic IP plan while adapting it with alternative products. What works about the IP plan is the basic low calorie, low fat and moderate protein nature of the program. I appreciate your thought process and the information you have given us about alternative ways to follow the program. Thanks for your input!:smug:

I'm glad someone took my post in the intent in which it was given. I'm a little surprised that anyone committed to following "even the stupid rules" would have any interest whatsoever in the Alternatives thread, since "no alternatives" is one (if not the) cardinal rule of Ideal Protein, especially since it's arguably the most logical (and least stupid) rule, especially for someone who has no interest in personally evaluating and adapting the rules.

But if you can't follow the smartest rule, it makes sense to evaluate the others too, most especially those that aren't based on logic. When you want to duplicate the success, without using the brand-name products (whether for financial reasons, flavor preferences or to avoid common allergens or other ingredients), you can't do it without breaking the first and most logical rule of Ideal Protein. And if you need to break such a smart rule, evaluating the less logical rules also makes sense.

Sure what you come up with isn't exactly IP, but isn't that why the Alternatives thread was born?
To me, it makes no sense (unless you refuse ALL alternatives) to allow roasted soybeans with added fat and carbs as seasonings as a restricted packet, but not allow fresh soybeans with no additives or a bit of sea salt as an Alternative (restricted or not).

I can accept the logic of "no Alternatives" much more easily than "roasted soybeans with added salt and fat are ok, but fresh soybeans are not."

That's not science, that's magic. And if you want to treat IP like magic, then you do have to follow ALL the rules, including buying and using only IP products and reporting to an IP coach.

I don't have that luxury because 90% of the most commonly used Alternatives are still too expensive for my budget. I'm sensitive, if not allergic to gluten. I have hormonal issues, so if I eat soy, I want it to be fresh soy not soy isolates. I have to evaluate every rule to fit my needs.

I had felt at home here, because I was convinced that there are more similarities than differences between IP and TSD (I strongly suspect both were modeled after HMR, but that's another story).

I still think that, but I've decided to try to stay out of future IP threads. I usually browse threads through the New Posts tab and don't always check where the thread resides, so you might see me failing in this regard. However, I'll do my best, and will especially avoid posting my future meal replacement finds and recipes in the Ideal Protein threads, because it clearly stirs controversy I want no part in.

Instead, I'll be lurking here in the Alternatives threads for products and recipes that fit TSD, but will be posting only on more neutral ground such as the Dr. Anderson's Simple Diet thread or in the Food Finds forum or its Shoestring Meals subforum or some other neutral ground.

lisa32989 09-15-2013 07:05 AM

Being soy/gluten-free necessitates using alts
I follow the IP protocol using alternative poducts, but you already knew that.

Thanks for your kind and generous input.

lisa32989 09-15-2013 11:05 AM

Cross posting this b/c I thought if we had any newcomers I wanted them to understand beyond the snark

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4840519)
Just want to clarify...alternatives are NOT a modification.......they are meeting IP protocol specs..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4840543)
Whether alternatives are used to combat allergies or food sensitivity..or wallet..or just because they taste better...!!!! They meet the criteria and are not a change in the way the diet is designed.........that's not a deviance!

Those who modify are free to read and learn here......they do need to take the discussion to a low carb format. They have something to offer in that arena actually.

shrinkingsusie 09-15-2013 02:01 PM

Has anyone ever used Greek Yogurt as an alternative? I went to Costco today (sidenote: Detour bars are on sale there, a 15 pack for $12.79) and my husband picked up some plain greek yogurt to make into chip dip. The nutritional info is as follows:

3/4 cup serving
100 cal
0g fat
1g fibre
6g carbs
18g protein
5g sugar

I would love to be able to turn this into a tzatziki dip for my veggies with some dill, cucumber and garlic.

Any thoughts?

kaplods 09-15-2013 02:04 PM

Well, by those definitions, I don't see how the edamame are a deviance at all. Potatoes aren't allowed on the Ip protocol, but there they are in the potato puree packet. How is this in any way different?

The edamame fit the macro Alternatives guidelines exactly, AND they contain only ingredients (one actually) that ar allowed (and common) in Ideal Protein products. They are the exact same ingredient as the Ideal Protein soynuts only fresh and without additives or artificial flavors.

It all hinges on how you interpret the soybean "ban" is it meant only for vegetables and dinner meats or more broadly. Because of the potato analogy, I think the former.

The answer doesn't matter for me, but I think Alternative users have a right to understand.

You've pointed out that I don't belong here and you're right, so this will probably be my last post in the IP forum if I can help it. Lurking probably isn't a good idea after all, because I will be tempted to speak out against logic errors and respond to snark with snark.

I'll bow out now, and I'll ask my good friends here to help me remember that promise should I forget. Kindly pm me a reminder should I unintentionally post in an IP thread.

lisa32989 09-15-2013 02:08 PM

Since you're choosing not eating on the IP plan, you're right. Eat whatever you want!
However, edamame is a modification that is not part of the IP protocol.

lisa32989 09-15-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie (Post 4840651)
Has anyone ever used Greek Yogurt as an alternative? I went to Costco today (sidenote: Detour bars are on sale there, a 15 pack for $12.79) and my husband picked up some plain greek yogurt to make into chip dip. The nutritional info is as follows:

3/4 cup serving
100 cal
0g fat
1g fibre
6g carbs
18g protein
5g sugar

I would love to be able to turn this into a tzatziki dip for my veggies with some dill, cucumber and garlic.

Any thoughts?

Dairy will be something to look forward to on P3 but there is no dairy on P1.

From the phase 1 sheet: IMPORTANT – Anything that is not included on this sheet is not allowed.

Again, even though it "fits" a low carb/fat plan, it isn't IP. Anyone is welcome to make modificatons but then you're following a low carb/fat plan, rather than the IP protocol.

I made some tzatziki-like dip with cukes and cooked cauliflower that was quite tasty and 100% OP. (sorry, just played around with it...no recipe to offer)

shrinkingsusie 09-15-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4840665)
Dairy will be something to look forward to on P3 but there is no dairy on P1.

From the phase 1 sheet: IMPORTANT – Anything that is not included on this sheet is not allowed.

Again, even though it "fits" a low carb/fat plan, it isn't IP. Anyone is welcome to make modificatons but then you're following a low carb/fat plan, rather than the IP protocol.

I made some tzatziki-like dip with cukes and cooked cauliflower that was quite tasty and 100% OP. (sorry, just played around with it...no recipe to offer)

Kinda figured it was too good to be true. :p Thanks for the quick response.

kpryor 09-20-2013 10:42 AM

Don't be fooled

Hello Everyone, this is my first post so pardon me if someone else has posted this information. My friends are doing IP but it is out of my price range, so I am trying to follow the plan and use alternative products. I did a lot of searching and saw that someone on this site posted some great information about New Hope Mills blueberry muffin/bread mix. I compared the nutritional information with an IP box and was impressed, so I ordered some.

After doing some calculations, I realized that these muffins ARE NOT IP comparable! The mix only has .5 grams of fat, but once you add the oil and the egg, each muffin is 20 grams of fat. If you eat two (to get your protein allotment) you end up with 40 grams in one day! WAYYY to much! Stay away. I am eliminating them from my diet, I just wish I would have noticed (payed attention) earlier and saved myself a very frustrating month!

Figgypudding 09-26-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4840419)
Being soy/gluten-free necessitates using alts
I follow the IP protocol using alternative poducts, but you already knew that.

Thanks for your kind and generous input.

Lisa -
What products do you specifically recommend for someone who wants to remain 100% On Protocol but has to avoid gluten and soy at all cost?

I'm sorry if you've answered this before. Please feel free to post a link to your previous answer if you have.

I, like you, have Hashimoto's and a lot of food sensitivities. I've done a lot of work with my adrenals and leaky gut, now I'd like to tighten the diet up even more. I've avoided gluten 100% on IP and I've avoided soy 95% but I'd like to make it 100% as well. My weight comes off at around 1 lb a week but can come back on at about 5 lbs a week if I don't avoid all my sensitives.

I will eventually get tired of the same two IP packets that I have every day and when I phase off from IP I'd like to keep my Phase 4 maintenance with some alternative products that offer the same benefits. Everything i find on the alternative websites that looks good turns out to have soy, gluten or aspartame. I'm sure you've done a ton of homework on this already. Any suggestions you can give would be much appreciated.

DJ72 09-26-2013 05:48 PM

I lost 30 lbs using alternative products but following IP protocol. It was a lot of reading and comparing but easier on the pocketbook. I let myself go this summer and gained 21 lbs back but I am restarting and gonna lose 31 lbs before I phase off. Lol. What a summer it was though!

lisa32989 09-26-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figgypudding (Post 4849425)
Lisa -
What products do you specifically recommend for someone who wants to remain 100% On Protocol but has to avoid gluten and soy at all cost?

I'm sorry if you've answered this before. Please feel free to post a link to your previous answer if you have.

I, like you, have Hashimoto's and a lot of food sensitivities. I've done a lot of work with my adrenals and leaky gut, now I'd like to tighten the diet up even more. I've avoided gluten 100% on IP and I've avoided soy 95% but I'd like to make it 100% as well. My weight comes off at around 1 lb a week but can come back on at about 5 lbs a week if I don't avoid all my sensitives.

I will eventually get tired of the same two IP packets that I have every day and when I phase off from IP I'd like to keep my Phase 4 maintenance with some alternative products that offer the same benefits. Everything i find on the alternative websites that looks good turns out to have soy, gluten or aspartame. I'm sure you've done a ton of homework on this already. Any suggestions you can give would be much appreciated.

I use syntrax nectar
I also found a few alts at Nashua nutrition that work foe me. The only soy I'm avoiding right now is soy protein (not soy lecithin)
Quest bars ( restricted)
Simply chips (restricted)
Simply whey bar (restricted)