Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
My coach told me that the Real Salt has a variety of minerals that we need, in addition to regular salt. Personally, I like it and am frustrated that I can't find it at a regular grocery store. I picked up the Himalayan Pink Salt at Costco, and they also have a regular white Sea Salt - those contain trace minerals, I believe, so they may be a workable substitute for you.
Whole foods carries Real Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
As Dr. OZ says "salt is salt" there is no difference btwn sea and every other type. Read up on it and see what all of the doctors say. its pretty interesting
Dr Oz says what his sponsors want to hear. He's not for low carb diets, either. He is entertainment. Watch him long enuf and he contradicts himself. Take what he says with a grain of his white salt.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-15-2012 at 11:23 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I have found Real Salt at Whole Foods. That being said, any sea salt is fine (I use baleine brand and grind it up in my salt dispenser) I also use Kosher salt.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #18  

Here is what the doctor at teh Mayo Clinic says abotu table vs sea salt
Answer
from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing, not their chemical makeup.

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind certain trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. The minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that's lacking in naturally occurring sea salt.

By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium chloride. Your body needs only a very tiny amount of salt to stay healthy. Most people get far too much — mostly from processed foods. So regardless of which type of salt you prefer, use a light hand with the saltshaker. And limit total sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams a day — or 1,500 milligrams if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 394/381/199

Height: 5'5"

OK... I guess I will suck it up and use the real salt

Thanks for all your input!
this girl is awake is offline   Reply With Quote