Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #121  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
Purple,
The muesli I got was unsweetened so it had less sugars in it and I thought it was delicious in my yogurt. I'll also try banana later on this week. I'm lovin the strawberries though! It's funny that your coach said that just 400 calories were fine because when mine looked at my sheets today and seen 483 for one of my meals she said to aim higher, for 500 calories.. sheesh. I think the almond milk and chia seeds took it closer to that but not sure I can handle MORE food.
I'm going to assume the extra packet before/after workouts is not necessary in phase 3? I think I'll do my snack close to when I workout anyways. But in maintenance I may do the Chia Seed Shake closer to the workout. It seems like a protein drink anyways..
Actually, I think she said 200 was fine. I could not get over 400 most days so I'll just keep it as is. She leans lean with lots of things. I suspect this is what she did when she was on it. Lean is not my scene. I don't use non-fat yogurt unless I will be getting too much fat from another foods. The fat is back in my face and some of my tush seems to have returned so I am pleased. Much healthier looking. These days I am super hungry. I may have gone over 500 today. I did not know how to keep the dairy calories and fats and carbs low enough getting much past 400 calories (even the non-fat yogurt does not help enough). There's some tricky math in there. I love this phase. Such a learning phase and powerful testing ground. Everyone in this thread is finding out about food sensitivities and what is does to them. I honestly believe my weakness is sugar. But, I have to play around with it. Something has me gobbling those bars down now when I rarely ate them before.

This is good to know because I may have gobbling issues. Which really was not a problem for me before. I was not really a snacker and did not have powerful desert cravings, but lately I have been a bar gobbler. And here I was worried about dairy and wheat. I have sweet snack gobble issues.

But, this is good. Going forward I am going to have to catch these lapses to avoid the slippery slope. Over gobbling means bigger pants and I gave most of my clothes away.

Don't you feel better already? Maybe it is too soon. But, I feel like P3 kinda springs you back to life. At least, it helped me. The extra carbs are helping with concentration and mental focus.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Actually, I think she said 200 was fine. I could not get over 400 most days so I'll just keep it as is. She leans lean with lots of things. I suspect this is what she did when she was on it. Lean is not my scene. I don't use non-fat yogurt unless I will be getting too much fat from another foods. The fat is back in my face and some of my tush seems to have returned so I am pleased. Much healthier looking. These days I am super hungry. I may have gone over 500 today. I did not know how to keep the dairy calories and fats and carbs low enough getting much past 400 calories (even the non-fat yogurt does not help enough). There's some tricky math in there. I love this phase. Such a learning phase and powerful testing ground. Everyone in this thread is finding out about food sensitivities and what is does to them. I honestly believe my weakness is sugar. But, I have to play around with it. Something has me gobbling those bars down now when I rarely ate them before.

This is good to know because I may have gobbling issues. Which really was not a problem for me before. I was not really a snacker and did not have powerful desert cravings, but lately I have been a bar gobbler. And here I was worried about dairy and wheat. I have sweet snack gobble issues.

But, this is good. Going forward I am going to have to catch these lapses to avoid the slippery slope. Over gobbling means bigger pants and I gave most of my clothes away.

Don't you feel better already? Maybe it is too soon. But, I feel like P3 kinda springs you back to life. At least, it helped me. The extra carbs are helping with concentration and mental focus.
Absolutely! I always felt withered away on phase 1 and seemed so different compared to what everyone else was saying. Now I feel more energized and happier. I love this phase. It really does teach us how we're going to live the rest of our lives. I created a few different menus for this phase and now I don't want to try anymore. I loved the breakfast I had this morning (minus the toast, more yogurt and muesli instead, please). I will force myself to try the other options though. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. lol
I feel amazing.. I do not feel as thin as I was in p1 already.. but it's a good feeling. I too feel like i've filled out a bit even after one breakfast. Also my energy is back.. ugh thank God. You know what, I just got done working out (I did longer than planned, too) and had my bar after my workout and it wasn't very good. I don't know. It just wasn't as sugary and yummy as it felt yesterday.. weird. I'm still going to watch it though and only have the bars on days I workout.. as this makes me feel better about eating them, lol. When they are out then I won't buy anymore. I still love my Mango RTD though so I will not feel deprived.

I did not feel hungry today. It was probably the huge first breakfast but I stayed satiated the entire day. 1pm came quick and I had to remind myself to make lunch. 5:30 came around and I had to remind myself to make dinner, too. The snack after exercising worked out well but I could have done without it.

What are you thinking about snacks for maintenance? I know that I get hungry between lunch and dinner at work and do not want to rely on bars or packets. I'd like to save those at home for when I want them there. I think I seen Dr. Oz mention some good snacks include almonds (like 15 I think) and cottage cheese. I think these are along the p4 guidelines. Any ideas?

Last edited by CassiR; 05-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 134/114.6/118

Height: 5'2"

Purple sky- "Can you handle milk"
I don't know. I've only been having Almond Milk. I like it and was never much of a milk drinker anyway so I don't think I'll struggle with that one too much. But I probably won't add yogurt in again (and only in very limited quantities) until I'm comfortable with P4.

CassiR- You said you had PB on your toast and didn't like it. That's crazy because I've NEVER liked PB and now I crave it on my english muffins. You're right our tastes really do change.
And I totally agree... I never felt that surge of energy on P1. It wasn't until I started P3 that I've started feeling normal/good again. I think I can finally start working out to "tone" things up.

Sorry I don't know how to include the quotes to respond appropriately. I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later. Oops. There it is. The little box above post quick reply. I'll try it next time.
VickiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #124  
Started IP 12/30/11

I have not quite gotten into P4 thinking yet. But, often I want to have cereal or yogurt or fruit so maybe I will see if I can do that as a snack. My understanding is that it is best to have carbs in the morning and evening. It has something to do with how we burn it off or something, dunno. I am still enjoying P3 and experimenting a bit but soon I will have to start thinking about P4.

I never had that energy in P1. I felt awful for so long. It was a struggle for a big chunk. So going forward ketosis may or may not be for me. I don't know. I hope I develop a plan and learn how to eat right so I don't have to deal with all that. But, it's hard to say.

I used to think that I would want Taco Bell or Burger/Fries and Cupcakes when I got off program but I truly haven't had cravings for them. So, I will have to see as time passes. I do feel like I want rice or potatoes, something to round out my meals. This is new since P3.

Just this week I worked on my closet. The BIG Organization. I still have some bathroom cabinets and drawers to get through. I had hoped to do this in Jan. but at least now it is getting done.

My skin is nice too. I got into size 4 pants at the end of P2 but that may be the only time. Don't think I am getting back into them.

I am very thankful for what the program has done but going forward I have to be a good girl so hopefully I only have to lose a small amt. each time. I feel like me again. And it's been a long, long time. I am shaped a little differently but it's me and I walk with such ease.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #125  

VickyR and Purple,

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that felt horrible on p1. To be honest, I hated it. I also hope I don't have to go back to that any time soon. After being back I feel so much better and more confident that I won't have to.

A little fruit with yogurt would be a good snack.. I think. I'm not quite sure what the guidelines are for phase 4 snacks yet. I do not want to depend on packets though. I want to focus on organic and whole foods.

The only things I'm actually craving are specific dishes. I love this sweet & sour chicken dish at the chinese place we go to. And their organic pumpkin pie is to die for. But like you I want to be able to eat right and maintain so I don't have to go back into dreaded ketosis. I thought for so long that it just wasn't working on me or something. Glad that is over.

I have also not yet fit into a 4. I'd like to some day and hope that toning with exercise helps achieve that. But as you said, walking with ease is the main priority. I think us being shorter we have curves and I want to hold on to them.. the good ones anyways.

Are you two going to follow phase 4 guidelines strictly for maintenance?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 134/114.6/118

Height: 5'2"

Purplesky and CassiR,

Our stats are almost identical. Get into the 1teens and you'll fit into the size 4's. I know exactly what you're talking about when you say walk with ease. The only thing I struggle with is that everyone is saying "You look great... don't lose another pound." But like I saw someone else on here say "You haven't seen me naked." There are a couple things I think could use some tweaking.
I'm leaving next week for vacation at an all inclusive. I'll start P4 a couple days before I leave. I'm definitely going to try to stay 100% OP. When I get back from vaca I'll probably do a reboot for a couple weeks to lose an extra 5lbs and then phase off again for summer. I have a lot of questions about P4 so I'll have to start researching the heck out of that one.
Just had my breakfast. Love, love, love! Have a great day and enjoy your breakfast!!!!
VickiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #127  

Yeah, it really wouldn't take much more to fit into the 4's. I tried them on and they fit but were tight and I didn't want to purchase tight pants. Oh well. Have fun on your vacation!! I also have a vacation in about 2 weeks. It's right after I start phase 4 and I'm worried about it. I don't want to gain any so that I don't have to go back to phase 1. But even if I do, I'll do a max of a week in phase 1 if I have to.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #128  

Has anyone started exercising in phase 3? I started and am unsure of how much to do. I did an hour long workout on the treadmill and eliptical interval training on both Sat. and Sun. for about 300-400 calories burned. I do plan on incorporating in strength training also. I'm not sure how much I want to do during the week.. Not everyday though. Weekdays are stressful enough. Maybe tuesdays and thursdays as well? Or just do Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays?
Anyone have any input?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #129  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiR View Post
Has anyone started exercising in phase 3?
I started walking toward the end of Phase 1 and am in Week 5 of the C25k training program. I do C25k 3 days a week with a bit of yoga and bike rides tossed in here and there.

Bear in mind, I started phasing out long before my "Dr's determined" goal weight (started phasing out around 75%). My losses were slowing to a trickle and this giggly body was more than I could stand, so I decided it was time for some toning up. At this point, I'm not too concerned with the number on the scale. I have a vacation planned at the end of May and when I get back from that, I'll decide whether or not to go back to Phase 1 or just embrace a maintenance way of life with healthy food and exercise.

Bottom line....it feels good to move with less effort!
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #130  
Started IP 12/30/11

In my 20's, I hovered between 105 and 112. LOL! Those were the days but I don't feel the need to get back there. I am so pleased with where I am at now. Heck, once I got down to the 140's I was elated. But, I did not count on getting just past this goal and fitting into the sizes I got into. Still a little stumped on that one. When I had gotten down to the 130's several years ago, I remember a medium top. I had some in the back of my closet. I also had some 10's, 8's and 1 size 6 pant back there. So, I must have gone from 10 - 8 and was hopeful about getting to 6.

I made myself wear the 4's yesterday and it just was not right. Uncomfortable to sit. So, I am good. My goal was comfortable 10 and tight 8. I went past that so I am pleased.

I am too lazy. Still don't exercise but need to because there is a lot of jello.

For maintenance, I bought this book, Primal Blueprint: Quick and Easy Meals by Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier. It leans paleo and while I am not looking for another diet, they have the types of recipes I want to eat. Similar to how we are eating now but with more of the healthy fats. They also break down the nutritional information which will make things easier on me. I have become such a label reader on this diet. I am store aisles forever.

We are out of ketosis now so the old rules don't apply. Our calorie intake is much higher and the risk of going into starvation mode is much lower. Still, I can't help but wonder if a bit of protein before and after a workout isn't a bad idea, right?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #131  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Still, I can't help but wonder if a bit of protein before and after a workout isn't a bad idea, right?
I've done a bit of reading on this and the info out there is conflicting. Some say you do not need protein intake before/after a workout unless you are working out at a Pro/super intense level, while others say you should always add a bit to support your muscles. That said, I have been having a few sips of a RTD shortly before and after and that's mainly because I like to workout on a relatively empty stomach; hate the feeling of trying to exercise with food in my system.

I just had a yummy BIG breakfast. I am so pleased to have a latte' again. I'm making them with almond milk and they are hands down better than when made with milk or soy...yum! Four more days of Phase 3 and then it's welcome to the rest of your life .
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #132  
Started IP 12/30/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Poles1Girl View Post
Four more days of Phase 3 and then it's welcome to the rest of your life .
P4 on Friday!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #133  

2poles, Thanks for the advice. I have been having my snack right after or before my workouts anways so I think that will do. I love breakfasts now. Let us know how starting ph4 goes!!

purple, wow 112! I'm hoping to get closer to 115 but I think the rest will improve with exercise. I just want to tone and don't want to lose my curves. I will be starting a cycling class held at the gym in my office every Tue and Thur at noon until 12:30. Not bad, right? That on top of sat and sun workouts should be good.. I hope. I'm really enjoying the workouts though. I feel like I have more energy now.
It's so funny you said you made yourself wear the 4's yesterday. I wore my high school jeans yesterday, which are size 28. I looked it up and that converts to a 4. They were comfortable for the most part but I can tell that they should be looser. Pants shouldn't give me a slight muffin top. LOL I was like.. "I thought that was gone..?"

I feel like I'm over-analyzing what I'm eating now that I know i'm no longer in ketosis. I log everything on calorie counter and am trying to have a good deficient of calories logged/calories burned. ugh. Also my salt intake has been too high and is making me paranoid. I don't want to retain water. I have been hopping on the scale every morning and I feel shocked to see I havent gained any weight since starting phase 3 (give or take +/- .5lbs). But I also havent had a good BM (SORRY TMI) since Saturday. I'm getting 50-60g of fiber everyday so I should be good on that front soon.
I'm reading How We Get Fat right now and enjoying it. Maybe it will help me with my paranoia.

wow longer post than planned.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #134  
Started IP 12/30/11

I looked up good weights for my height, age, bone size, etc. and came up with 117 as a long term goal. I saw between 114 and 119 as good numbers. BUT, once I kinda almost sorta got into a 4 I was like, naw, I'm good. I don't want to get into the teeny sizes. Very hard to find clothes just like with those bigger sizes.

Because I had to retrain myself to shop, I saw lots of 8's and 10's. Not too many 6's but I can find those. So, I am good. I am a medium. I don't remember being a small. Might have been at one time. I also don't remember being smaller than a 7/8 and that was at 15 lbs less. I remember a size 5 but I was also around 105 then, so this diet gets you to where you want be much sooner than expected. Remember it preserves muscle and muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

DH and I set two goals. Our IP goal was a collective 100 pounds which we passed (the reason I waited to go to P3) and the long term goal of 150 (might actually be 149 LOL!) We decided that the collective 100 would take us to a good place, a great place but the extra 50 collective pounds would get us to a more competitive place. I just did not want to stay on through most of the summer. It was also pulling too much off my bottom and I did not want to feel uneven.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #135  

Quote:
I looked up good weights for my height, age, bone size, etc. and came up with 117 as a long term goal. I saw between 114 and 119 as good numbers. BUT, once I kinda almost sorta got into a 4 I was like, naw, I'm good. I don't want to get into the teeny sizes. Very hard to find clothes just like with those bigger sizes.

Because I had to retrain myself to shop, I saw lots of 8's and 10's. Not too many 6's but I can find those. So, I am good. I am a medium. I don't remember being a small. Might have been at one time. I also don't remember being smaller than a 7/8 and that was at 15 lbs less. I remember a size 5 but I was also around 105 then, so this diet gets you to where you want be much sooner than expected. Remember it preserves muscle and muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

DH and I set two goals. Our IP goal was a collective 100 pounds which we passed (the reason I waited to go to P3) and the long term goal of 150 (might actually be 149 LOL!) We decided that the collective 100 would take us to a good place, a great place but the extra 50 collective pounds would get us to a more competitive place. I just did not want to stay on through most of the summer. It was also pulling too much off my bottom and I did not want to feel uneven.
You're right. I think we sometimes focus wayy too much on the numbers. Once I can fit very comfortably into those 4's then I will be done. I have no desire to be a 2. And I don't think I'm small framed or large framed. I'd say medium. 115-129 is the general rule for 5'1 and I feel good that I'm within that. It is weird though. My stomach is not catching up with the rest of my weight loss. My legs are probably a 4 but a 6 fits me perfectly in my waist. The 4's are pretty tight around my waist. I hope it evens out because my size 6 work dress pants seem baggy in the bottom!

You and DH have done so well! Thats so cute that you joined as a couple and created a goal together. Job well done!